NAPOLI's in exclusive SOX company! has more RBIs after 19 games than anyone not named FOXX, can it continue?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: NAPOLI's in exclusive SOX company! has more RBIs after 19 games than anyone not named FOXX, can it continue?

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Still far too early to rate the signing, and I am not a fan of the signing basically because he was signed to be someone he is not - a 35 homer type.  Having said that it takes a team to win not an individual, and he as a teammate has been pulling his weight and more while some others struggle.

Ideally Napoli is a very good 5 hitter.

Now Drew .... he is another story:

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/04/22/boston-red-sox-should-be-concerned-about-stephen-drew/

drew has looked better at the plate lately. I think I read that drew could only spend 7 games in AAA recovering fromthe concussion

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: NAPOLI's in exclusive SOX company! has more RBIs after 19 games than anyone not named FOXX, can it continue?

Still far too early to rate the signing, and I am not a fan of the signing basically because he was signed to be someone he is not - a 35 homer type.  Having said that it takes a team to win not an individual, and he as a teammate has been pulling his weight and more while some others struggle.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/04/22/boston-red-sox-should-be-concerned-about-stephen-drew/

If Napoli stays mostly healthy all year, I don't see losing any production at 1B. He's hit 30 HR before & he's a righty at Fenway for 80 games. 35 HR? Maybe, Maybe not. I think he's got 30 in him though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Frankly I don't see why they rushed him back, another 10 days in AAA would have been okay. Regardless I like Iggy ... always I have raved against the teams short-stop policies since they let Cabrerra go. 

I don't get why either. There was no rush. They could've let Drew stay in AAA for another 2 weeks. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I paid way, way over projected value for Mike Napoli at my rotisserie league auction ... and it's paid off so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I paid way, way over projected value for Mike Napoli at my rotisserie league auction ... and it's paid off so far.

DOes he qualify at C?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think we can count on 100+ rbi's from Napoli.  with the table setters in front of him he should be able to walk backwards on his hands to 100 rbi's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

How did you arrive at the conclusion that he was signed to be a 35+ HR guy?  I never heard anything like that.  I assume he was hired on the assumption that he would drive in a lot of runs if healthy.  But I don't know what that number of HRs has to do with it.

I would assume they hired Papi to be a 35+ HR guy, as his track record has shown that, when healthy, he will do that.  But Napoli has never done that in his career, so I don't know why they would sign him with that expectation.  It is reasonable to assume that the club powers-that-be may have figured on an uptick, given how Naps has beaten up the monster in his limited sample size history at Fenway.  But that seems somewhat arbitrary to say he was signed to hit 35+ HRs.  

If your implication is that he was signed to be the Manny to Ortiz' Ortiz, then I would say that I think the model is different.  This line-up was structured not to be focused on the middle of the order, but to apply pressure from all spots, whether speed, power or both,  which is exactly what we are seeing.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I've always expected something like .280 / 25-30 HR / 100+ RBI if Napoli stayed healthy, and he may well exceed that. The people who trashed him all winter are finding out why the Sox were so interested: the guy can mash, and he seems right at home at Fenway. His defense at first has been a very nice surprise as well.

Even if he earns the maximum $13 million on the contract, he may turn out to be the bargain of the winter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Drew will be fine although he will be overpaid.  He is making good contact so I expect the BA to increase.  His real problem is he is K'ing too much.  His brother always took a lot of pitches, but Stephen is taking too many right now.  Guy is K'ing on over 30% of his at bats despite swinging at only 35% of the pitches he sees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Napoli is a heck of a hitter.  In this lineup and park he should put up some good counting stats.  His lack of plate discipline early is a bit concerning although part of it is probably driven by the fact he is mashing right now.  If he starts walking more in line with the past few years he will be even more valuable than he has been thus far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Napoli was a steal on the 1 year deal he ended up agreeing to.....I was a fan of signing him when the deal was 3 years....I was however wary of the Victorino signing and I would say I was completely wrong there.....as is the case often, seeing a player everyday is alot different then seeing him 10 times a year on TV...he is a much better all around ballplayer than I ever thought....other than not having plus power he has all the other tools.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Napoli was a steal on the 1 year deal he ended up agreeing to.....I was a fan of signing him when the deal was 3 years....I was however wary of the Victorino signing and I would say I was completely wrong there.....as is the case often, seeing a player everyday is alot different then seeing him 10 times a year on TV...he is a much better all around ballplayer than I ever thought....other than not having plus power he has all the other tools.

Many people were skeptical of one or both of these signings, and understandably so:  they both carried some risk/uncertainty as both guys were coming off down years.  Cherrington obviously was working under the assumption that this is just what they were:  down years in the midst of what is both guys' late-prime.  And, thus far, he looks pretty smart in that gamble.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Yes, it's a little early to announce the second coming of Manny or T.S. Williams, but for now you have to like what you see--lots of rbi's, some power, and pretty nifty fielding at 1B where he has yet to commit an error. 

Also too early to write Drew off.  I love that Iglesias is starting to hit at Pawtucket, but don't mind giving Drew a real shot at SS, where he has yet to commit an error, where he is involved in more than twice as many double plays as Iglesias, and where he gets more fielding chances per game than Iglesias.  Drew needs to hit better, not question, but meanwhile he is not a liability in the field--in fact, so far he has been an asset. 

Let's not forget that the Sox starters have also been doing a heckuva job.  Last night Doubront drove me nuts, but at the end of the game he had gone 6 2/3 innings, giving up 3 runs.  The bullpen, which has been pretty good, managed to give up 3 runs in 2 1/2 innings. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Does he qualify at C?

In my 10-team dynasty league with OBP instead of BA, Mike Napoli qualifies at catcher, but I rarely play Napoli there. Wilin Rosario is my regular catcher while Napoli typically is slotted at IF, 1B or DH.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

UZR/150 is meant to be used in 2-3 year sample sizes, but it is interesting to see naps with a +10.4 UZR/150 so far this year (6th out of 13 1Bmen with 90+ innings and 10th out of the 33 catchers with 10+ innings at 1B.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Does he qualify at C?

In my 10-team dynasty league with OBP instead of BA, Mike Napoli qualifies at catcher, but I rarely play Napoli there. Wilin Rosario is my regular catcher while Napoli typically is slotted at IF, 1B or DH.

In a league I'm in, I waited on grabbing a catcher because my plan was to not waste an earlier pick on getting one of the better catchers and try to snag Napoli laer. I was able to fill some other positions then got Napoli who was much better than the best catcher left. So that worked out.

My backed up my view on Lester and Buchholz by grabbing both of them. Based on the rankings at the time, Buchholz was a reach but I didn't want to risk not getting him because I fetl strong about how good he'd be. 

I also have Theo's dream corner IF'ers of Rizzo and Middlebrooks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Does he qualify at C?

In a league I'm in, I waited on grabbing a catcher because my plan was to not waste an earlier pick on getting one of the better catchers and try to snag Napoli laer. I was able to fill some other positions then got Napoli who was much better than the best catcher left. So that worked out.

My backed up my view on Lester and Buchholz by grabbing both of them. Based on the rankings at the time, Buchholz was a reach but I didn't want to risk not getting him because I fetl strong about how good he'd be. 

I also have Theo's dream corner IF'ers of Rizzo and Middlebrooks.

In my keeper league with a $300 budget and 30 roster slots, I could have retained Clay Buchholz at $3. I have some regrets, although my starting pitching has been strong with Felix Hernandez, Madison Bumgarner, Mat Latos, Brett Anderson, Anibal Sanchez, Hisashi Iwakuma and Hyun-Jin Ryu.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli: A bargain at $5 million    Cool

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

On a 1 year 5M for poor peformance deal, it's hard to be too critical of bad hips old Napoli. He's not a full season guy, but if he's given plenty of days off he should provide reasonable value and fit for this season.

Define 'plenty' and I will note your position in back-up drive.

Sections
Shortcuts