Napoli's Latest MRI on Thursday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Napoli's Latest MRI on Thursday

His MRI on Thursday showed no worsening of the hip. Good news.

He can now take ground balls on his knees.  Okay

He can know do some light running on a treadmill. Huh?

He stated he should be ready by opening day.

Thank goodness we got him for $5M.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Napoli's Latest MRI on Thursday

At least we seem to be getting the straight facts on Napoli, which is kind of refreshing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

We as fans just have to get over the disappointment of the news that the guy has a bad hip. it's not like the Sox had the opportunity to do a complete physical before they made him their 3 year offer. Nor did they throw caution to the wind and sign him anyways. Once they saw the MRI and the extent of the injury they did the prudent thing and pulled the offer off the table. Then renegotiated the current 5M one year deal with incentives based on production and playing time. In the end it's a deal that has little risk for the team and one that given the terms will not be so prohibitive that they can't add to the roster if the guy can't get on the field. 

The upside far outweighs the downside. Whatever his routine is to ready himself to play shouldn't be viewed as a referendum for continueing to pooh pooh the deal. Time to move on and let the process play out and for Napoli's sake I hope he plays 150 games, hits 30 Hr and helps us to win the WS...if he spends most of the year on the DL and hits 200? I'll wish him well and root for the next guy in line...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

He is neat-o.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

He is neat-o.

I'm telling you Burrito, you are going down on this one.  Napoli is going to rake. :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

His MRI on Thursday showed no worsening of the hip. Good news.

He can now take ground balls on his knees.  Okay

He can know do some light running on a treadmill. Huh?

He stated he should be ready by opening day.

Thank goodness we got him for $5M.

Well, assuming he hits as expected, he will cost quite a bit more than $5M.  But still well worth it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Napoli stays healthy.  If not, then who else will play 1B?  Overbay? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

If he has a great season and the hip holds up we can always qualify him to assure he comes back or get compensation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

We as fans just have to get over the disappointment of the news that the guy has a bad hip. it's not like the Sox had the opportunity to do a complete physical before they made him their 3 year offer. Nor did they throw caution to the wind and sign him anyways. Once they saw the MRI and the extent of the injury they did the prudent thing and pulled the offer off the table. Then renegotiated the current 5M one year deal with incentives based on production and playing time. In the end it's a deal that has little risk for the team and one that given the terms will not be so prohibitive that they can't add to the roster if the guy can't get on the field. 

The upside far outweighs the downside. Whatever his routine is to ready himself to play shouldn't be viewed as a referendum for continueing to pooh pooh the deal. Time to move on and let the process play out and for Napoli's sake I hope he plays 150 games, hits 30 Hr and helps us to win the WS...if he spends most of the year on the DL and hits 200? I'll wish him well and root for the next guy in line...

Well said Bean.  As a fan, all you can do is hope for the best.

One thing that was encouraging to read a few days ago was that Napoli does not seem to feel disrespected or lowballed by the Red Sox after the drawn out negotiation.  Napoli said that the Red Sox remained loyal and supportive throughout the process.  The right attitude always helps performance, IMO.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Well said Bean.  As a fan, all you can do is hope for the best.

One thing that was encouraging to read a few days ago was that Napoli does not seem to feel disrespected or lowballed by the Red Sox after the drawn out negotiation.  Napoli said that the Red Sox remained loyal and supportive throughout the process.  The right attitude always helps performance, IMO.

It sounds like both parties worked together to reach the best deal. Napoli understands that given his injury, no team would have bettered the current deal he signed with the Sox. He also knows that had the Sox been able to administer a complete exam, they likely would have never made a 3 year offer. Certainly not without language to protect thier investment. I agree that it's alway best when the player accepts the terms of his deal and works in earnst to do his part to make himself ready to play.  That said, given his injury, Napoli is pretty much playing for his career at this point and the coming year will determine the extent of his injury and the impact it will have on his ability to be a productive every day player at the big league level. That alone, I would think would be enough incentive for any player to work hard and stay positive and do the work nessesary to rehab the injury.

Time will tell if his hip can endure the rigors of playing 150 games and to what extent it incumbers his ability to hit a round ball with a round bat, squarely. If his condition is degenerative, as in it'll never heal, his days in a big league uniform are numbered. We need look no further than Mike Lowell for an example of the cause and effect of playing with a bad hip has on a players ability to compete at the big league level over a sustained period of time...Arod's another who's battled and lost time with hip issues...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I wish him well too, but the next guy in line is not likely to be much of a cleanup hitter.  Of course, it remains to be seen if Napoli is much of a cleanup hitter either, even if his hip holds up.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Honestly, I think Youk has more of a chance of getting injured at 3b in NY for 12m, then Naps does for 5M + at 1b in Boston. Future years are certainly in question, but I think he shouls be OK this year. If he can go 130-40 games, Im ok with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Honestly, I think Youk has more of a chance of getting injured at 3b in NY for 12m, then Naps does for 5M + at 1b in Boston. Future years are certainly in question, but I think he shouls be OK this year. If he can go 130-40 games, Im ok with that.

Same here southpaw777.   :)

If Napoli can play around 130-140 games and puts up numbers such as .275 BA, 15-20 HRs and 65-80 RBIs, then I will be happy too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wish him well too, but the next guy in line is not likely to be much of a cleanup hitter.  Of course, it remains to be seen if Napoli is much of a cleanup hitter either, even if his hip holds up.

IMHO, length is more important than having huge hitters in the middle.  At this point, there are no easy outs in the lineup.  Even the 8/9 hitters can have a .750 OPS.  the best OPS in the league last year was .790.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

IMHO, length is more important than having huge hitters in the middle.  At this point, there are no easy outs in the lineup.  Even the 8/9 hitters can have a .750 OPS.  the best OPS in the league last year was .790.

We'll be lucky if the "next in line" after Napoli has a .750+ OPS.  And we're talking about a first baseman here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

We'll be lucky if the "next in line" after Napoli has a .750+ OPS.  And we're talking about a first baseman here.

Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papi, Napoli, WMB, Gomes, Victorino all figure to have > .750 OPS, and I'd bet that either Salty or Drew is > .750.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

The next guy in line could well be someone not on the roster. Let's not forget that we're a team in transition and as such the roster will be fluid while they build the nucleus.  My guess is that if the right player presents himself one that's just entering his prime and under the teams control for 3 to 4 years. I could see the Sox making a big move during the season...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The next guy in line could well be someone not on the roster. Let's not forget that we're a team in transition and as such the roster will be fluid while they build the nucleus.  My guess is that if the right player presents himself one that's just entering his prime and under the teams control for 3 to 4 years. I could see the Sox making a big move during the season...

There was evidence we looked into finding that guy this winter, but either thought the price was too high, of thought we could do better at a later time. I do think they are looking at a player with perhaps more than just 3 years of team control (like the failed Myers grab).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This Red Sox line up will score runs.

Despite Boston's long list of injures, they were 5th in runs scored last year.

Boston's starting rotation needs to pick it up this year (especially Lester).  Up to 9/6/2011, Lester was 15-6 with a 2.93 ERA.  Since then, he has gone 9-18 with a 5.12 ERA. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't think we should have signed a guy with hip problems as that always points to other things. The last thing I want is for this team to win and have guys named later as users.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I don't think we should have signed a guy with hip problems as that always points to other things. The last thing I want is for this team to win and have guys named later as users.

according to you the Yanks are the only team that does that.

You got up at 4:00am to post THAT?

Sad...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

according to you the Yanks are the only team that does that.

You got up at 4:00am to post THAT?

Sad...

LOL, 4Bs. He gets up every morning to defend his teams, and attack posters he doesn't like on multiple boards here, apparently. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts