Napoli's Small Sample Size Slump- It's not that small

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Napoli's Small Sample Size Slump- It's not that small

I love the arguments FOR Napoli (moon for example) about how the sample size is relatively small. I would say it's quite large (the last 16 games, 1/2 a month). Over the last 16 games Napoli could be the worst hitter in baseball.  Someone post those numbers, but with a batting average in the .130 range, a SLG average under .200 and no home runs and a 48% K rate, that isn't a small sample size.

On top of it, he's at his all time K rate, his home runs numbers are way down  and you have a guy who should be platooned with anybody.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Napoli's Small Sample Size Slump- It's not that small

Take a look at his game logs.  You'll see that his OPS was high early, then steadily went down.  But it was .776 on July 2 and it's .778 going into tonight's game.  He's in a slump, he's had many ugly at-bats, not arguing about that.  But it's not a hopeless situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Take a look at his game logs.  You'll see that his OPS was high early, then steadily went down.  But it was .776 on July 2 and it's .778 going into tonight's game.  He's in a slump, he's had many ugly at-bats, not arguing about that.  But it's not a hopeless situation.

Okay, keep believing that. Why don't you look at how many men he's left on base with RISP. Look at his batting average with RISP for the entire season. Come back to me when you can show me something positive because he is killing the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not arguing.  The numbers are against him right now, I know that.  Just hoping he can come out of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I'm over the Napoli era.  Play Carp for crying out loud.  Glad we did'nt buy into this for 3 years.  At catcher I could understand, not at 1B.  Overbay is better... and they cut him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

I'm over the Napoli era.  Play Carp for crying out loud.  Glad we did'nt buy into this for 3 years.  At catcher I could understand, not at 1B.  Overbay is better... and they cut him.

Overbay's not better.  Doesn't strike out nearly as much, but that's the only thing that's better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

I love the arguments FOR Napoli (moon for example) about how the sample size is relatively small. I would say it's quite large (the last 16 games, 1/2 a month). Over the last 16 games Napoli could be the worst hitter in baseball.  Someone post those numbers, but with a batting average in the .130 range, a SLG average under .200 and no home runs and a 48% K rate, that isn't a small sample size.

On top of it, he's at his all time K rate, his home runs numbers are way down  and you have a guy who should be platooned with anybody.

16 games is not a small sample size: it's teenie.

Yes, he has been horrible for 16 games. The worst. 

Oh yeah, BTW, when I said his sample size was small, it was even smaller than teenie. It was days and days ago. You've been all over Naps for weeks. He's your Sox Bashee of the month.

Napoli has had long slumps before, and followed them up with torrid streaks.

I'm not saying Napoli will ever heat up again, but you are overly obsessed with one guy. You think Carp has a better projected next 8 weeks? Well, you may be right, but to me it's not a clear choice.

I've seen Napoli's rollercoaster career. When we signed him, many of us said to expect streaky times. Where were you when he had a much longer than 16 game hot streak?Yeah, this is a long and bad one. The super high Ks are very concerning. It could mean something much more than a slump, but nobody knows for sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

They took Carp over Overbay so give them credit for the right pick there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This team has been getting production from a lot of different guys and they're going to need that to continue.  Napoli, Carp, Nava, Gomes - Farrell has been keepng them all involved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - Napoli has hit lowest HR rate in his career, his highest K rate in his career and his OPS is about .100 points lower than his career average. 

Look at his ABs and compare to previous seasons and the HRs he's hit. The only season with more at bats was 2 season ago with 460AB but he had 26 Home runs.

Today's game is a key example of how he is hurting the team. Bases loaded, 1 out, and he K's. He should not be playing full time anymore. Period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

Overbay's not better.  Doesn't strike out nearly as much, but that's the only thing that's better.

[/QUOTE]

Its damn close.. Naps in rbi cuz he bats higher in the order.  K's are pathetic.  

Hopefully this experiment is one-and-done.  

This is the kinda game Napoli will make me regret what I have said.... Bring it Naps!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its damn close.. Naps in rbi cuz he bats higher in the order.  K's are pathetic.  

Hopefully this experiment is one-and-done.  

This is the kinda game Napoli will make me regret what I have said.... Bring it Naps!!

[/QUOTE]

Situation normal... another K.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon - Napoli has hit lowest HR rate in his career, his highest K rate in his career and his OPS is about .100 points lower than his career average. 

Look at his ABs and compare to previous seasons and the HRs he's hit. The only season with more at bats was 2 season ago with 460AB but he had 26 Home runs.

Today's game is a key example of how he is hurting the team. Bases loaded, 1 out, and he K's. He should not be playing full time anymore. Period.

When have I ever said he is having a good year?

I said he is streaky. He's had long good streaks and long bad streaks.

He's had worse years than this.  He's had better years.

I'll say it again, I am not sure if this is just a bad slump or the end of the line for Naps. He's come back from bad streaks before and followed it up with white hot streaks. Are you so sure he will not this time?

I'm not.

Just because I am not sure if he will get hot going forward or not, doesn't mean I am saying he has not been terrible recently.

It wasn't that long ago, he was having a nice hot streak.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

He needs to sit and use carp, Nava & Gomes until he figures it out. He is flat killing the lineup right now, bailing & wailing on every pitch is a recipe for failure, if only he would hang in and use the whole field it might be a very different story

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There are a lot of players being put on Waivers.

Morneau and Reynolds. Take your pick. Who would take Nap--the Yankees?

The Rays may need a DH...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well I gotta say, after tonight's game, I got nothing.  Carp should get a bigger chunk of the starts. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beezer. Show beezer's posts

if nap needs to play, bat him 9th.  lets try konerko, how bad can he be?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Carp over his last 21 PAs:

.220/.238/.200/.438

Should I start a thread on Mike?

How about the last 28 days?

Pedey 106 PAs .185/.283/.272/.555 batting 3rd.

Should I start a thread on benching Pedey now?

(Naps is 88 PAs .203/.330/.392/.721 in the same time frame.)

How about these guys?

Nava 37 PAs .219/.324/.281/.606

Holt  34 PAs  .103/.182/.172/.354

Smaller sample sizes, but about as big as Naps was when the demote in line-up or bench Nap threads started.

Almost all players go through bad slumps. I'm not defending Napoli by saying this. I'm not trying ti minimize how bad he has been. He's been horrible, but has not been alone.

Napoli's sample size is what 17 games?

Pedey's was 23 before tonight's 2 for 6 night.

I've said I'm OK with moving Napoli down in the line-up and benching him for a few games here and there, but I still feel like this is just a horrible slump, and any minute, he'll bust out bigtime. I don't see any sign of that happening, and the extra Ks are frightening, but I'm just not sure we should give up on him totally. Maybe a 3 day rest would help. Maybe playing Papi at 1B for 5 of the 6 games in SF and LAD would not demoralize him that much, as maybe benching him for Carp might do.

He should at least be moved to the 8 slot.

Sox4ever. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some posters have said that Napoli could get hot in September. We can only hope. I just don't think it is likely. It seems to me that , for whatever reason , his bat speed is down. I don't see that changing in September. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Mike Napoli is a streaky hitter in the midst of a serious, serious slump.

I'm confident Napoli will silence his critics with a hot streak before the end of the season (and, with a little luck, into the postseason).

Napoli remains a daily fixture on my first-place OBP fantasy team despite the prolonged slump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

This team has been getting production from a lot of different guys and they're going to need that to continue.  Napoli, Carp, Nava, Gomes - Farrell has been keepng them all involved.

Sorry HFX...KNap is a useless wart who needs a few weeks off, at least.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Watching him swing and or taking pitches down Broadway for a called 3 K would demoralize anyone. It appears he must feel more comfortable at the plate when he pulls his left shoulder out, swinging to left. It appears he is just swinging and missing intentionally; we know that's not true.  Here's something I haven't seen suggested---pull a Victorino and bat from the other side of the plate.---ONLY KIDDING-

I will end by saying "You can't hit what you don't see." Nap is not watching the ball--you can't hit what you don't see---that's Batting 101. Best thing to do for Nap is sit him on the bench, play him as a defensive replacement, a pinch hitter or as the emergency catcher if you don't want to outright release him. Batting him 8 or 9 is not going to solve the "see the ball hit the ball" issue. The only thing that does is let him possibly come to bat one fewer time in a game. 

There may be an injury he hasn't disclosed, perhaps something away from the game is bothering him and not allowing him to concentrate or he is in a terrible slump.

My guess it's not an injury as he continues to play excellent defense and he made two excellent catches last night and saved an errant throw. His running and slidding appear okay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

.220/.238/.200/.438

How about these guys?

Smaller sample sizes, but about as big as Naps was when the demote in line-up or bench Nap threads started.

Almost all players go through bad slumps. I'm not defending Napoli by saying this. I'm not trying ti minimize how bad he has been. He's been horrible, but has not been alone.

I've said I'm OK with moving Napoli down in the line-up and benching him for a few games here and there, but I still feel like this is just a horrible slump, and any minute, he'll bust out bigtime. I don't see any sign of that happening, and the extra Ks are frightening, but I'm just not sure we should give up on him totally. Maybe a 3 day rest would help. Maybe playing Papi at 1B for 5 of the 6 games in SF and LAD would not demoralize him that much, as maybe benching him for Carp might do.

Sox4ever. 

moon - Please post Carp's numbers against righties and Gomes against righties.

Napoli is 6 for his last 50 (12% of his season total at bats) with 0 home runs and 25 K's. 

You called it a teenie sample size. It would be like a student who had A's for 88% of their grade and that had an F for the remainding 12%. Their grade for that teenie sample size would be brought down to a B.That's not a teenie sample size.

And again, his home run numbers are way down (wasn't he brought in here for RH power?), his strikeouts are off the charts (leading majors, on pace for 210+), and his BA RISP is hovering around .200 for the entire season. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

.220/.238/.200/.438

How about these guys?

Sox4ever. 

moon - Please post Carp's numbers against righties and Gomes against righties.

Napoli is 6 for his last 50 (12% of his season total at bats) with 0 home runs and 25 K's. 

You called it a teenie sample size. It would be like a student who had A's for 88% of their grade and that had an F for the remainding 12%. Their grade for that teenie sample size would be brought down to a B.That's not a teenie sample size.

And again, his home run numbers are way down (wasn't he brought in here for RH power?), his strikeouts are off the charts (leading majors, on pace for 210+), and his BA RISP is hovering around .200 for the entire season. 

[/QUOTE]

Correction: Carp against righties and Gomes against lefties.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why people think that putting Gomes at 1b is an easy solution?  Gomes have not play at 1b this year nor maybe in his entire career.  Quit thinking about playing 1b is an easy position to learn. 

Remember Belhorn is a strikeout guys, and I am sure many fans were begging for someone else to replace him.  

Let it go.  Farrell is doing a heck of a job on finding a way to win ball games in the past two weeks.  If that was last year team playing in these two weeks span, they would lose every single game!!

Sections
Shortcuts