Napoli's Small Sample Size Slump- It's not that small

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Napoli's Small Sample Size Slump- It's not that small

How about letting him bash some watermelons like the comedian, Gallagher, to perhaps get back his confidence(joking of course) but how about letting him hit some softballs(twice size of baseballs) thrown by an A+ softball pitcher & see how many times he connects. Could be an eyesight problem.

Ok, time for me to get cynical...I think it is probably a better chance that instead of Napoli swinging at all that he just fakes it and that the pitcher will toss 4 balls & he gets a walk. Of course, on 1st, we'll need to hope for a double at least for him to score and on any ground out it's a likehood for a DP. The shame was he was acquired not for singles or walks but to hit the Green Monster or go over it !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

There should be nothing stopping Farrell from puting Napoli on the bench.  For close to a month now, he has been an AUTOMATIC out.  What's worse is that automatic out is primarily via a strikeout.  At least if he could put the ball in play, there is a chance for something good to happen (error, RBI, etc).

The thought of Napoli facing Verlander, Scherzer, Darvish in the playoffs gives me nightmares.

On the bright side, 1 yr/$5 mil looks a lot better than what could have been (3 yrs / $39 mil)...Yikes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon - Please post Carp's numbers against righties and Gomes against righties.

Napoli is 6 for his last 50 (12% of his season total at bats) with 0 home runs and 25 K's. 

I'm not saying 50 PAs does not matter, but it is a teenie sample size. Napoli has had bad streaks in his past, maybe not quite this bad, but very bad indeed. He has always followed them up with hot streaks, and I'm afraid if we were to totally give up on him right now, we might be doing it the moment he was about to break out and get hot.

Like I have said, we have no way of knowing if this is just a really bad slump, and he will come out of it soon, or if this is something much deeper and permanent. It's a guess.

You called it a teenie sample size. It would be like a student who had A's for 88% of their grade and that had an F for the remainding 12%. Their grade for that teenie sample size would be brought down to a B.That's not a teenie sample size.

No, but his final grade is a decent B, and what if that student you mentioned had these grades in this order: A, A, A, A, F, F, F, F, then dropped out of school before he was able to string together 9 straight A's to bring his final grade to a B? Instead, he drops out with a C garde.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not discounting his bad streak. It is significant, but within the scope of his whole season and career, 50 PAs is teenie.

And again, his home run numbers are way down (wasn't he brought in here for RH power?), his strikeouts are off the charts (leading majors, on pace for 210+), and his BA RISP is hovering around .200 for the entire season. 

And again, this is nothing new for me, I have consistently said I could care less about Ks, as long as the OBP is high enough or a great SLG% compensates for a fair OBP. Napoli's OBP has been bad recently, but overall a .341 OBP is decent, and if he turns things around, he could easily end up at his career norm.

Yes, he was brought here for RH'd power and OBP skills. He started off very well, then was decent for a bit, and now has stunk for a growing period of time.

I don't know if Naps will snap out of it. I have no idea. He looks clueless, but he has looked that way in the past and always regained for hot streaks to follow. I'm not sure this time is any different, but you seem to think and know he is all done with little or no chance at righting the ship.

If Carp was as hot as he was earlier in the year, I'd sit Naps down for 5-7 days, maybe invent a phantom 15 day DL, let him rehab in AAA and maybe give him another shot, but I'm not to high on Carp right now either. 

As for numbers vs RHPs and LHPs:

RHPs 2013 OBP/SLG

Carp .379/.580

Nava .399/.453

Gom .355/.476

Naps .336/.447

But, where's your angst at Pedey (.355/.380) or Victorino (.328/.389) vs RHPs?

Why not start a thread on demoting Pedey in the line-up vs RHPs? He's been worse than Naps and for a longer sample size. He's also been bad over the same time frame you are bashing Naps over.

(I've asked you about this several times. I always answer your inquiries. Please answer mine.)

LHP:

Gom  .331/.404

Nap  .338/.395

Carp .304/.455 (just 23 PAs)

Nava .284/.311

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here are the numbers of Sox players the 2nd half of 2013:

PA   Player  OPS

57   Gomes  .964

103 Ortiz     .948

93   Drew    .904

110 Ellsb    .800

35   Carp     .765

107 Vict      .757

78   Salty    .732

93   Naps    .679

39   Nava    .627

112 Pedey  .571

34   Holt      .354

35   Iggy     .286

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Why does Moon get stuck with the responsibility of looking up everyones splits.  If you are posting here or reading this you have internet.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

http://www.fangraphs.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Why does Moon get stuck with the responsibility of looking up everyones splits.  If you are posting here or reading this you have internet.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

http://www.fangraphs.com/

Then, when I ask for a simple answer to a simple question, like "why not start a demote Pedey vs RHPs thread", I can't even get a simple reply. No research necessary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mike Napoli!

Oh NOOoooooo!

You  DIH - ENT !!!!!!!

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and big step forward in the 10th...

...No K!!!!

4 outs tonight and no Ks!

Big step!

Sox4ever

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I said this on the other Napoli thread, and it's sort of what moon has been saying. I really don't see what the big fuss is. He is not as good as some were expecting him to be be, and he's historically always been a notorious streak hitter, and that means long stretches of ineptitude. With that said, I'm still fine with him at 1b, as long as he keeps getting the clutch hits that got tonight and did quite often the first 2 months of season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

11 Ks tonight, and none by Napoli.

Ks are all that count, or so I have been hearing.

Let's hope he keeps going 1 for 5 with no Ks the rest of the year. 

It sure beats 2 for 5 with 3 Ks.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

You are missing the point with the strikeouts. Certainly , a strikeout is no worse than a pop up , etc.  But the thing is , when you strikeout you have no chance. If you are going to get a base hit, you first have to put the ball in play. Napoli grounded out in the tenth, but the ball could just as easily been in the hole for a hit. As long as you put the ball in play , you have a chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox4ever

You are missing the point with the strikeouts. Certainly , a strikeout is no worse than a pop up , etc.  But the thing is , when you strikeout you have no chance. If you are going to get a base hit, you first have to put the ball in play. Napoli grounded out in the tenth, but the ball could just as easily been in the hole for a hit. As long as you put the ball in play , you have a chance.

No, it is you who is "missing the point". I fully understand that if you don't put the ball into play, you lessen the chance to get a hit or make something "good" happen. It is condescending to think that anyone who disagrees with your positon just "doesn't understand".

It's about getting on base and extra base hits, and how you make an out is near meaningless.

It's about how often you make outs, not how you make the outs. 

I honestly can say that as long as Napoli gets on base at about a .350 clip and hits some dingers and doubles along the way, I wouldn't care one bit if he doubled the strikeout record and K'd 65% of the time. If he gets a hit 25% of the time and walks 10% of the time, he's putting the ball in play enough for me. I realize this will never happen- a 1.000 BAbip and a 65% K rate, but it should help drive my point home- a point I'm not sure you understand.

I'm OK with not being in agreement. I realize that the more times you hit the ball, the better chance you probably have of getting a hit. I realize the high K rate is a big reason for keeping Napoli's BA down, but he does walk a lot, takes more pitches than anyone in MLB, drives opponent's starters to the bench earlier, and gets some extra base hits along the way. He is now 3rd on the team in SLG%.  Yeah, it's still about 60 points lower than his career number. He has not met most of our expectations, but he's not that far off from numbers he put up in 3-4 other seasons. His overall season is below his career norm, but Napoli has rarely had a "norm year". He's been streaky and inconsistent his whole career. We knew that when we signed him. It doesn't make it better knowing it beforehand, but when you get a streaky hitter, you probably have to bear with the down times a little longer than you might with more steady players in hopes that the hot streak is just around the corner.

Looking at Napoli's career is to look at a rollercoaster both within each season and between seasons. His career OPS is about .850, but he has only been within 30 points of .850 in 1 time 8 seasons (.842 in 2009). He's been below .800 three times and above .960 two times. It's been below .815 five times. He's at .781 now. He's one 4 for 4 night away from passing his two worst OPS seasons and maybe one hot week away from passing two more. I'm not saying he will or won't. Honestly, I have no clue what Napoli will do going forward, but I choose to look at his past and think he will get hot before this year is done... that is, if he plays enough to get a chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes he should have been batting 6th all along, but that wasn't possible with this roster... 20-25 homers with 85 ribbies could have been assumed (and a lot of doubles).....  the one thing he has done out of the norm (based off his career) is stay healthy!

I thought 135 games was about the best we would see.... he looks to be better than that.

Too bad his healthiest season is (so far) his worst.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2013 Sox LD%

27.3  Salty

26.6  Drew

25.0  Nava

24.4  Napoli

22.1  Carp

22.0  Ortiz

21.3  Ellsbury

21.2  Victorino

20.7  Pedroia

18.1  Gomes

K%

37.3  Ross (small sample size)

34.3  Napoli

31.2  Salty

30.3  JBJ (small sample)

29.3  Carp

27.5  Midd (ss)

27.3  Snyder (ss)

26.2  Lava (ss)

25.9  Drew

24.2  Gomes

That's a lot of players with a K rate over 24%. 

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox4ever

No, it is you who is "missing the point". I fully understand that if you don't put the ball into play, you lessen the chance to get a hit or make something "good" happen. It is condescending to think that anyone who disagrees with your positon just "doesn't understand".

It's about getting on base and extra base hits, and how you make an out is near meaningless.

I honestly can say that as long as Napoli gets on base at about a .350 clip and hits some dingers and doubles along the way, I wouldn't care one bit if he doubled the strikeout record and K'd 65% of the time. If he gets a hit 25% of the time and walks 10% of the time, he's putting the ball in play enough for me. I realize this will never happen- a 1.000 BAbip and a 65% K rate, but it should help drive my point home- a point I'm not sure you understand.

I'm OK with not being in agreement. I realize that the more times you hit the ball, the better chance you probably have of getting a hit. I realize the high K rate is a big reason for keeping Napoli's BA down, but he does walk a lot, takes more pitches than anyone in MLB, drives opponent's starters to the bench earlier, and gets some extra base hits along the way. He is now 3rd on the team in SLG%.  Yeah, it's still about 60 points lower than his career number. He has not met most of our expectations, but he's not that far off from numbers he put up in 3-4 other seasons. His overall season is below his career norm, but Napoli has rarely had a "norm year". He's been streaky and inconsistent his whole career. We knew that when we signed him. It doesn't make it better knowing it beforehand, but when you get a streaky hitter, you probably have to bear with the down times a little longer than you might with more steady players in hopes that the hot streak is just around the corner.

Looking at Napoli's career is to look at a rollercoaster both within each season and between seasons. His career OPS is about .850, but he has only been within 30 points of .850 in 1 time 8 seasons (.842 in 2009). He's been below .800 three times and above .960 two times. It's been below .815 five times. He's at .781 now. He's one 4 for 4 night away from passing his two worst OPS seasons and maybe one hot week away from passing two more. I'm not saying he will or won't. Honestly, I have no clue what Napoli will do going forward, but I choose to look at his past and think he will get hot before this year is done... that is, if he plays enough to get a chance.

If you strike out, you don't "lessen " the chance of a hit, you eliminate it. You say you would be satisfied with something , then say that you know it will never happen. What good is that ? You talk about extra base hits and home runs, but how many of these are going to happen if you don't consistently put the ball in play? It is not a question of a strikeout vs. a " productive" out. It is a question of having no chance of any kind of a hit. In trying to support Napoli, you are dismissing the utter futility of the strikeouts. Most of the good things that he has accomplished have come when he was not striking out at his recent pace. If he is going to help this team, he is going to have to make more contact than he has been doing. If you can't accept that, then you are just not being objective. Napoli is a strong hitter , who hits the ball hard when he makes contact. But he has to make contact more than he has been doing. Simple as that. You cannot minimize the uselessness of a strikeout. The first object of a batter has to be to hit the ball. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Sox4ever

So getting a strikout on Tuesday night with the bases loaded and one out is a good thing? More flyballs and ground balls would translate to more runs and hits.

And what is more important with a player like Napoli, OBP or BA with RISP? Do you want him to walk or get hits with runners in scoring position? Another easy question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

So getting a strikout on Tuesday night with the bases loaded and one out is a good thing? More flyballs and ground balls would translate to more runs and hits.

Oh come on man, don't insult other people's intelligence.  moon is not saying striking out is a good thing, neither is anyone else.

Look, obviously a big reason Napoli strikes out so much is that he swings so hard.  And when he connects with those swings the ball goes a long long way.  If he swung easier he wouldn't strike out as much and he wouldn't hit as many home runs and doubles.  That's pretty simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

If you strike out, you don't "lessen " the chance of a hit, you eliminate it. You say you would be satisfied with something , then say that you know it will never happen. What good is that ?

You really don't get my point? seriously?

My point is Napoli could strike out teice as much as he does now, but as long as he keeps up a .345 OBP and his fair share of XBHs, I'm fine with it.t stop him from being one of the team's best L

My comment that I know it won't happen should not stop anyone for getting my point.

The fact that Napoli Ks more than anyone in MLB did not stop Napoli from being one of the Sox leading LD% hitters. How can you explain that? Your reasoning is exposed. Striking a lot instead of grounding out or flying out a lot does not keep some hitters from getting on base more than others or hitting the ball harder more often than others who K less. How hard of a concept is that?

You talk about extra base hits and home runs, but how many of these are going to happen if you don't consistently put the ball in play?

I don't know: why not ask Adam Dunn?

Again, I get the concept that if you put the ball in play more often, you are likely to have a better BA than someone who does not, but it is not a given. Plus, your theory ignores BBs and OBP. Adam Dunn would have been out of baseball long ago had he not walked so much.

Napoli's .245 BA is better than many hitters who have a K rate much less than Napoli's. His career .257 BA is pretty decent when coupled with his .353 career OBP. The .496 SLG% has made hi a plus on offense.

This year, his SLG% is 60 points lower than his career. His OBP is nearly 20 points lower. On June 5th of 2013, he was nearly at his career norms. As late as July 25th, his OBP was about at his career norm. A 3 week slump has caused you to toally give up on Napoli. It's your M.O.

It is not a question of a strikeout vs. a " productive" out. It is a question of having no chance of any kind of a hit. In trying to support Napoli, you are dismissing the utter futility of the strikeouts.

No, I am not. I am saying I don't care if someone Ks up to 65% of the time as long as he gets on base 35%+ of the time. You are dismissing OBP and assuming a high K rate necessitates a low OBP. It may for most hitters, but not all.  

You obviously do not get this fact. Or care.

Most of the good things that he has accomplished have come when he was not striking out at his recent pace. If he is going to help this team, he is going to have to make more contact than he has been doing. If you can't accept that, then you are just not being objective.

No, he can help the team by walking 2 times a game or going 1 for 4 with a walk... with 3 ks. Not seeing this as beneficial is not being objective.

Napoli is a strong hitter , who hits the ball hard when he makes contact. But he has to make contact more than he has been doing. Simple as that. You cannot minimize the uselessness of a strikeout. The first object of a batter has to be to hit the ball. 

Where have I ever said I'm happy with Napoli's last 3 weeks? When have I ever said he does not have to hit the ball more often? Yes, he needs to hit the ball more than he has over the last 3-4 weeks.

However, I'm fine with the amount of balls he hit plus the amount of walks he got in the previous 3 and a half months. I wish he had more HRs, but he does have a lot of Dbls. I wish he hit the ball more, but I don't need him to, as long as he gets on base over 35% of the time and has a SLG% at about .450.

You never respond to any of my questions. Please try to answer this one, or I'm done talking to you.

If Napoli eneded the season with these 6 weeks numbers, would you claim he is a negative or a positive?

100 PAs  .250  6 Hrs  17 RBIs  .350 OBP  .450 SLG and 40 Ks

One simple question. 2 simple answers: positive or negative input.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox4ever

If you strike out, you don't "lessen " the chance of a hit, you eliminate it. You say you would be satisfied with something , then say that you know it will never happen. What good is that ?

You really don't get my point? seriously?

My point is Napoli could strike out teice as much as he does now, but as long as he keeps up a .345 OBP and his fair share of XBHs, I'm fine with it.t stop him from being one of the team's best L

My comment that I know it won't happen should not stop anyone for getting my point.

The fact that Napoli Ks more than anyone in MLB did not stop Napoli from being one of the Sox leading LD% hitters. How can you explain that? Your reasoning is exposed. Striking a lot instead of grounding out or flying out a lot does not keep some hitters from getting on base more than others or hitting the ball harder more often than others who K less. How hard of a concept is that?

You talk about extra base hits and home runs, but how many of these are going to happen if you don't consistently put the ball in play?

I don't know: why not ask Adam Dunn?

Again, I get the concept that if you put the ball in play more often, you are likely to have a better BA than someone who does not, but it is not a given. Plus, your theory ignores BBs and OBP. Adam Dunn would have been out of baseball long ago had he not walked so much.

Napoli's .245 BA is better than many hitters who have a K rate much less than Napoli's. His career .257 BA is pretty decent when coupled with his .353 career OBP. The .496 SLG% has made hi a plus on offense.

This year, his SLG% is 60 points lower than his career. His OBP is nearly 20 points lower. On June 5th of 2013, he was nearly at his career norms. As late as July 25th, his OBP was about at his career norm. A 3 week slump has caused you to toally give up on Napoli. It's your M.O.

It is not a question of a strikeout vs. a " productive" out. It is a question of having no chance of any kind of a hit. In trying to support Napoli, you are dismissing the utter futility of the strikeouts.

No, I am not. I am saying I don't care if someone Ks up to 65% of the time as long as he gets on base 35%+ of the time. You are dismissing OBP and assuming a high K rate necessitates a low OBP. It may for most hitters, but not all.  

You obviously do not get this fact. Or care.

Most of the good things that he has accomplished have come when he was not striking out at his recent pace. If he is going to help this team, he is going to have to make more contact than he has been doing. If you can't accept that, then you are just not being objective.

No, he can help the team by walking 2 times a game or going 1 for 4 with a walk... with 3 ks. Not seeing this as beneficial is not being objective.

Napoli is a strong hitter , who hits the ball hard when he makes contact. But he has to make contact more than he has been doing. Simple as that. You cannot minimize the uselessness of a strikeout. The first object of a batter has to be to hit the ball. 

Where have I ever said I'm happy with Napoli's last 3 weeks? When have I ever said he does not have to hit the ball more often? Yes, he needs to hit the ball more than he has over the last 3-4 weeks.

However, I'm fine with the amount of balls he hit plus the amount of walks he got in the previous 3 and a half months. I wish he had more HRs, but he does have a lot of Dbls. I wish he hit the ball more, but I don't need him to, as long as he gets on base over 35% of the time and has a SLG% at about .450.

You never respond to any of my questions. Please try to answer this one, or I'm done talking to you.

If Napoli eneded the season with these 6 weeks numbers, would you claim he is a negative or a positive?

You can be done talking to me.  No problem.  I don't care for your attitude anyway. I don't feel like playing your little game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So getting a strikout on Tuesday night with the bases loaded and one out is a good thing?

Of course not, but unlike you, I don't use one PA sample size to make definitive judgements.

I really find it hard to believe you can't get the simple concept of OBP and SLG% being more important than K rate.

More flyballs and ground balls would translate to more runs and hits.

No, not with every hitter. Most, yes, some not. Plus, BBs are important, but are not part of your equation.

And what is more important with a player like Napoli, OBP or BA with RISP?

OBP is most important, SLG is 2nd, BA with RISP is an unsustaiunable talent, but is important nonetheless.  Naps has suffered in this area after his nice start to the season, but the sample sizes are small. I get that the sample size is huge for you- a guy who uses 1 PA to judge players by, so I don't expect you to get my points.

Do you want him to walk or get hits with runners in scoring position?

Hit. Then, BB, then SA, after that any out is equal to me.

Another easy question.

Why not answer one question for me?

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Oh come on man, don't insult other people's intelligence.  moon is not saying striking out is a good thing, neither is anyone else.

Look, obviously a big reason Napoli strikes out so much is that he swings so hard.  And when he connects with those swings the ball goes a long long way.  If he swung easier he wouldn't strike out as much and he wouldn't hit as many home runs and doubles.  That's pretty simple.

Not so simple for some clowns, I guess.

Adam Dunn has led the league in Ks 4 times and has had over 162 Ks 10 times in 11 years. His BA is .239 career. Bum, right? Doesn't put the ball in play enough to be a team asset, right?

WRONG!

The guys has a career OBP of .368 and was over .380 in 5 of 6 years and had 38+ HRs in 7 straight years and 8 of 9 years. He's had over 100 RBIs 6 times and over 92 8 times.

I doubt he'd stay a FT baseball player being one of the worst fielders in MLB history, if managers thought of his offense as a net minus.  I think they look beyond the 2164 career K's in 6328 ABs. 

Try it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You can be done talking to me.  No problem.  I don't care for your attitude anyway. I don't feel like playing your little game.

You mean the game where I respond to every question you ask, and you respond to none of mine?

Fun little game, huh?

You mean the game where if someone doesn't agree with you, it must mean they are too dumb to understand your position?

Fun little game, huh?

Love your attitude!

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You mean the game where I respond to every question you ask, and you respond to none of mine?

Fun little game, huh?

You mean the game where if someone doesn't agree with you, it must mean they are too dumb to understand your position?

Fun little game, huh?

Love your attitude!

Sox4ever

Adios, amigo.  Send in the " clowns." 

Sections
Shortcuts