Naps channeling Rico

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Naps channeling Rico

Yesterday, Mike Napoli did something that no Red Sox player has done since the great Rico Petrocelli in September, 1967.....he stole home base and hit a home run in the same game. I think this is pretty exciting for the team and for Naps himself.

I also think it's pretty fitting. There are a lot of similarities in work ethic and personality between these two guys. Both work hard and put the team first....above all else. Both love the game and make no secret of how blessed and lucky they are.

Petrocelli was my first great baseball love. I remember listening to games with my long gone Italian grandfather..and it is because of him that I became a fan of Petrocelli and the Red Sox. You see..they had something rather unique in common..something my grandfather never failed to point out to me..and anyone else who would listen for that matter.

I was not even a twinkle in someone's eye when Petrocelli accomplished this feat...so I am glad I got to see Naps pull it off.

Anyhow..in a season of ups and downs for the Red Sox..it is moments like yesterday that remind me why I love the Sox and baseball so much and why I stick with this team through thick and thin.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Naps channeling Rico

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yesterday, Mike Napoli did something that no Red Sox player has done since the great Rico Petrocelli in September, 1967.....he stole home base and hit a home run in the same game. I think this is pretty exciting for the team and for Naps himself.

I also think it's pretty fitting. There are a lot of similarities in work ethic and personality between these two guys. Both work hard and put the team first....above all else. Both love the game and make no secret of how blessed and lucky they are.

Petrocelli was my first great baseball love. I remember listening to games with my long gone Italian grandfather..and it is because of him that I became a fan of Petrocelli and the Red Sox. You see..they had something rather unique in common..something my grandfather never failed to point out to me..and anyone else who would listen for that matter.

I was not even a twinkle in someone's eye when Petrocelli accomplished this feat...so I am glad I got to see Naps pull it off.

Anyhow..in a season of ups and downs for the Red Sox..it is moments like yesterday that remind me why I love the Sox and baseball so much and why I stick with this team through thick and thin.

[/QUOTE]

First:  Rico and Mike Andrews had Lockers right next to my Dad at the Cambridge Y.   Rico was an awesome guy and always said hello.

Second:  I was at a party, a non wi-fi party and I know I am over my data plan.  I was checking the game and I saw Tim Britton tweet the steal. I have not seen the game, hopefully I will tonight at 7.

I have not checked all the posts but I am glad you are talking about his.  This is pretty exciting and to get mentioned with Rico and 1967, is awesome.  This is what I am talking about when I said the guys who produced during the regular nine are bigger heroes than David.  David does not get his chance to avoid an 0-4 day if nap does not steal or homer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Petrocelli hitting 40 homers in '69....incredible achievement even now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Petrocelli hitting 40 homers in '69....incredible achievement even now.

[/QUOTE]

Without roids or even an extensive weight training regiment.  Even more incredible, didn't he steal 40 and hit 40 that season?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rico gets forgotten in 75 too...Yaz always stole all the thunder but I always felt the two together helped play a big part of the Sox 67-75 stretch of 2 WS teams. Petrocelli also slugged a HR as did Yaz in Game 2 of the 75 ALCS. Love the fact that in a big game like that the 2 oldest guys in the lineup came through with big hits. Batted .308 in the 75 Series too...Petrocelli helluva player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, he had 10 steals his entire career..never ran.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In 1970, he hit 29 and drove in a career high 103...A shortstop in a non-slugging shortstop era.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

No, he had 10 steals his entire career..never ran.

[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks, not sure why that was in my head

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Excellent post, miscricket!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First:  Rico and Mike Andrews had Lockers right next to my Dad at the Cambridge Y.   Rico was an awesome guy and always said hello.

Second:  I was at a party, a non wi-fi party and I know I am over my data plan.  I was checking the game and I saw Tim Britton tweet the steal. I have not seen the game, hopefully I will tonight at 7.

I have not checked all the posts but I am glad you are talking about his.  This is pretty exciting and to get mentioned with Rico and 1967, is awesome.  This is what I am talking about when I said the guys who produced during the regular nine are bigger heroes than David.  David does not get his chance to avoid an 0-4 day if nap does not steal or homer.

[/QUOTE]

Now that is wicked cool!

I thought it was pretty exciting as well. It's kind of sad that no one was really talking about it..though I doubt it bothered Naps at all. He just goes out and does his thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Rico gets forgotten in 75 too...Yaz always stole all the thunder but I always felt the two together helped play a big part of the Sox 67-75 stretch of 2 WS teams. Petrocelli also slugged a HR as did Yaz in Game 2 of the 75 ALCS. Love the fact that in a big game like that the 2 oldest guys in the lineup came through with big hits. Batted .308 in the 75 Series too...Petrocelli helluva player.

[/QUOTE]

There are always going to be the players who "steal the thunder" so to speak. Myself..I prefer the unsung heroes always..the guys that just go out and do it.

I have a fondness for all the old time players. Maybe it's because I was younger..but professional baseball just had a different feel to it back then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

There are always going to be the players who "steal the thunder" so to speak. Myself..I prefer the unsung heroes always..the guys that just go out and do it.

I have a fondness for all the old time players. Maybe it's because I was younger..but professional baseball just had a different feel to it back then.

[/QUOTE]

I never forgot Rico.  No doubt Yaz was the majority fan attraction in those days, but Rico held his own.  He would talk to the press more than Yaz.  Didn't matter if Rico had a good or bad day, if the press wanted to talk, he would say come on over.

And Rico being an Italian who spent time here in the off season, all of The North End, East Boston and many parts of RedSox Nation, did not forget him either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rico was a great ambassador for the Sox. And he still is a good interview. I don't think people talk about him much anymore, so I'm glad this thread got started...I never took him for granted and he was one of my early favorite players...For me it was Yaz, Rico, Sparky Lyle and Reggie Smith, then El Tiante, Bill Lee, Lynn, and Dewey. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Another guy who doesn't get his just due in my opinion is Ellis Burks, who was a pretty terrific OF and a guy of his ilk the Sox badly need right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I believe to this day if Rice was healthy and Yaz was at first they win that Series. That line up was crazy. Three Hall of Famers. Guys like Petrocelli rounding it out. Wild.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent post, miscricket!

Thank you :-)

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I believe to this day if Rice was healthy and Yaz was at first they win that Series. That line up was crazy. Three Hall of Famers. Guys like Petrocelli rounding it out. Wild.

[/QUOTE]

Wow..can you imagine??? That would have been awesome!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget El Tiante! Another gem from the '75 Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget El Tiante! Another gem from the '75 Sox.

[/QUOTE]

True....!!!  ( those were the days....)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In those days the red sox did not have their aaa affiliate on RI.  Every so often you will get a caller or even live interview at Fenway from a sox fan not from Boston.  They will tell you they saw someone like Rico play in minors for the sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How would you have liked to have been Pawtucket's manager in 1974. The guy had Rice and Lynn in the regular lineup. In today's MLB, my guess is that both guys would have reached the majors even faster than they did when they both got called up in Sept, '74. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

How would you have liked to have been Pawtucket's manager in 1974. The guy had Rice and Lynn in the regular lineup. In today's MLB, my guess is that both guys would have reached the majors even faster than they did when they both got called up in Sept, '74. 

[/QUOTE]

That was the pawsox first or close to first season as the sox triple A team.  From what I hear you could not get a seat.  I know thru the Mo Vaughn days, you had to buy tickets in advance.  You probably had to be there on the first day of ticket sales when Rice was playing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think one thing that I believe is true about fans today and now and players today and now. I think there was a better identification or feeling that the fan was close to the players because the salaries of the 1960s/1970s players. Lynn made $19,500 when he won the MVP and Rookie of the Year in '75. So did Rice....MLB rookie minimum salary...And Lynn got major grief by the time he was making hundred thousand plus range and missing games due to injury. But ultimately we loved the players as players more back then. The salary thing seems to get in the way of things today because now MLB players simply make too much money from the rookies to the veterans. Back-up infielders can command half a million easy. The distance between fan and player is just too far gone. And fans are taking it out on players harder and angrier and more mean-sprited because of the gap.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Hey danny:

by any chance are you from outside of Boston?  I don't remember anyone giving Lynn grief over anything.  I remember Bob lobell attacking Rice and I was on Jim's side and never listened to Lobell again.

I have a theory that people who think fans had issues with Fred Lynn grew up reading the Patriot Ledger or non Boston papers and only attended Fenway games on Maine days.

I did not identify with players because of their salaries.  I liked them because they could play or spent time in the city during the off season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

I think one thing that I believe is true about fans today and now and players today and now. I think there was a better identification or feeling that the fan was close to the players because the salaries of the 1960s/1970s players. Lynn made $19,500 when he won the MVP and Rookie of the Year in '75. So did Rice....MLB rookie minimum salary...And Lynn got major grief by the time he was making hundred thousand plus range and missing games due to injury. But ultimately we loved the players as players more back then. The salary thing seems to get in the way of things today because now MLB players simply make too much money from the rookies to the veterans. Back-up infielders can command half a million easy. The distance between fan and player is just too far gone. And fans are taking it out on players harder and angrier and more mean-sprited because of the gap.

[/QUOTE]

You know..I've been thinking about this since I added this OP a couple of days ago and trying to figure out what the difference was between then and now...that made "then" seem so much better than "now".  I mean..for sure..I have my favorites over the years..but something back then seemed different and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Back then...these guys were "one of us" so to speak..now they are all overpaid millionaires or multi millionaires. Major league baseball is treated more like a business ( $ , stats, sabermetrics, marketing, etc)now than a past time.

Perhaps this is why I enjoy my single A minor league games so much :-)