Nap's eyes on Centerfield Camera.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Nap's eyes on Centerfield Camera.

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Those who mention that Napoli's head is not staying on the ball long enough are exactly right.  He appears to try to hit every ball 500 feet with every swing. 

I do not agree with the posters who say that this problem cannot be fixed.  In fact, it is a fairly easily correctable situation.  Fixing the moving head will result in a week of less power, but Napoli has already made himself almost powerless for quite a while now.  There a bunch of hitting drills that players at all levels can to to correct this problem.

Getting the head to stay still will also cut back on the staggering number of strike outs that are hurting the offense quite a bit lately.

I agree Charlie D.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I'm very picky but watch Nap when he swings--especially swings and misses he appears to be looking to CF--he does not watch the ball hit the bat. He has a titanic swing,  watch him during his next at bat. If he watches the ball his head and shoulders would be forced to close on the ball and he would be driving the ball to center and right, his natural power alley.

I think it's obvious Nap isn't looking at the pitch very often :)  I like Mike but the nickname "Nap" seems to fit him more often than not.  He could be very nice compliment to Papi if someone could help him cut down on the K's. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

Belinsky----

Pitchers want you to look over their shoulder because that way they know you aren't watching the ball hit the bat. I have to give credit where credit is due---he is battibg .256--that's pretty good for someone who doesn't watch the ball make contact with the bat. So if Nap gets a hit every four at bats and strikes out the other three times  with the bases juiced in the next 50 games and the Sox win the pennant and neither Ortiz or Nap hit another homer you're okay with that? I'm okay with it but if the Sox finish out of the playoffs---I will be pretty disappointed because if I notice Nap is doing what he's doing and we have two batting coaches, a bench coach a manager and a GM that don't address the issue with him---I say check the game tapes.

I am going to start watching every batter of every game, Sox or other teams, and I will report back periodically re. who doesn't watch the ball onto the bat.

Sorry but players don't watch the ball hit the bat, they don't have time. They have half a second to see the spin or lack of on the ball, see its trajectory, and guage its speed and height  after it leaves the pitcher's hand. They need excellent eyesight 20-20 and often 20-10, great refexes, and hand - eye coordination. Yes they must keep their head still which is a reason that they must concentrate on the trajectory and not the impact of ball on bat. 

Every good hitter watches the ball all the way to the plate if possible.  That's why we have so many guys that can work a pitcher by fouling off pitches and utilizing the opposite side of the field.  Guys like Nap don't have the same ability which is why they struggle, any good hitting coach will agree.  Same can be said about a good catcher, you see some young catchers close their eyes out of instinct when the a batter swings at a pitch like Lav did for a bit.  Not the best way to catch.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If its any consolation Sox fans Albert Pujols has close to the same stats with 90 fewer K's and we are paying Nap $5-13 M guaranteed vs. $240 + M guaranteed.

It's too bad for the amount of time WMB has been with the PawSox someone in the org. hasn't  given him a 1 B mitt to take some balls and get some foot work instruction to see if he can handle that position as well as 3 B.

I'm sure they wanted him to improve his 3 B play and find his swing. Will and Xander batting 2-3 or 3-4 in the order aren't setting the league on fire and Ceccini, who I thought was the second coming of Wade Boggs, is finding AA more challenging than A. Cecch, to be honest, has lost his plus hitters around him so pitchers are feeding him poorer pitches to hit.

We all have our challenges...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I hope Nap is about to go on an amazing hit streak--I still feel the same about his not watching the ball.

Tom Verducci had an interesting article in this weeks Sports Illustrated re. hitting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

Sorry but players don't watch the ball hit the bat, they don't have time.  

I can't agree with you on that point.  As an example, in a recent game with the Yanks, the camera showed a slow motion close up of Cano getting a hit, and froze/framed the moment when his head was down and his eyes glued to the ball as it made contact with the bat.  Having seen this so many times with the really good contact hitters, I might suggest you record some of the at bats of the better contact hitters and then compare them with Napoli. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I hope Nap is about to go on an amazing hit streak--I still feel the same about his not watching the ball.

Tom Verducci had an interesting article in this weeks Sports Illustrated re. hitting.

And madmac with the  big call.

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Napoli just had a nice little improved hitting time as he is "seeing" the ball a little bit better (more consistently) in this time frame, but he is not all the way back yet.

I wish that I had access to all of his tapes for the entire year (like he and the hitting coach surely do!!!) because he could then be shown that in the first month of the season that he was keeping his head still much better.  And, of course, those were probably the best results of his career over a fairly short period of time.

As a high school hitting coach, I tape both ESPN's Baseball Tonight and the highlight shows on MLB as you can see in almost every hitter who hits a ball hard will have his eyes in what we call the "hitting box" right where the ball hits the bat at least until contact.

You almost never see a hard hit ball from any hitter without the eyes in the hitting box no matter who the hitter is, what team he plays for or even what the result of the hit may be.

When we have kids lifting their heads toward centerfield on our game tapes they get about the same results as Napoli and any other hitter gets.   And, I am certainly not suggesting that my high school kids are as good as any major leaguer, but rather that they also cannot hit the ball hard without seeing it much longer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thanks JoeB and CharlieD for searching out the thread and for the comments about hitting. I haven't watched enough of Xander but i can only imagine he is a see the ball hit the ball kind of player. Watching him his last few at bats it's like a guy taking batting practice and spreading the ball around to all areas during pregame, but he's doing it in real time during the game.

When the time comes he will find the Monster Seats and the R Center bleachers. This is going to be a great young player we are getting to gradually see come on the scene. I like the way JF is playing him--not forcing anyone out of a position just letting him show the team and the fans he can play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Maybe someone's telling him what pitch is coming in the outfield. :)

13. This post has been removed.