Nathan signs with Rangers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Nathan signs with Rangers

Well one of my predictions heads to Texas, as I thought Nathan possibly might come to Boston to replace Papelbon...so one right and one wrong so far.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/rangers-to-sign-joe-nathan-.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Nathan signs with Rangers

With Nathan closing , Feliz will be moved into the starting rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I liked him for us in the BP, but thought he'd get ~ $4.5M for one year.  Lot of money paid by TX.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$14/5M/2 with a buyout 3rd year? No thanks.

He will be a late 37 & 38 years old the next 2 seasons. He missed 2010 and had an "off" 2011 season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Probably better for the Sox to wait...there are closers to be had this year...and of course they can always fall back on Bard.  The one thing the Sox can't afford is to have the closer spot become a weakness in the BP.  Paps only blew 2 saves last year...that will be a tough act to follow...especially if they go on the cheap.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kinda scary though when a guy like nathan, at his age, get's that kind of money, and the Sox talking about not spending big...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

A desperation move by Texas? Sounds a little over the top for that money. Could be they're overreacting from their own collapse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Nathan signs with Rangers:
    [QUOTE]Well one of my predictions heads to Texas, as I thought Nathan possibly might come to Boston to replace Papelbon...so one right and one wrong so far. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/rangers-to-sign-joe-nathan-.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE] He was my first choice as a replacement for Papelbon. Second on my list is KRod.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Nathan @ 7.25 base is too high for age and injury history, but imagine paying Wastefield and Varitek almost 6 million in 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Nathan signs with Rangers:
    [QUOTE]A desperation move by Texas? Sounds a little over the top for that money. Could be they're overreacting from their own collapse.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

The Rangers collapsed...hmmmm...did I miss something?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nathan signs with Rangers : The Rangers collapsed...hmmmm...did I miss something?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Yes, apparently you missed Game 6 of the World Series when they blew leads in the 9th and 10th innings, losing in the 11th, after twice being 1 strike from a WS championship, possibly the biggest choke in WS history.

And Feliz was in on it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Does that take the Rangers out of the CJ Wilson pool, assuming they move Feliz to the rotation?
    I never thought Sox were that invested in bringing Nathan in. Ditto Krod. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

KRod would be the ideal guy but I think it will be more than Nathan. He is capable of closing and set-up--ideally for him an incentive based package with a combo of Holds and Saves plus a $5-6 base. This might be more expensive but it would keep him focused.

The guy that AGon is pushing for is the guy who would be my choice if he agreed to Set and Close.

The guy who I also like is Dotel; he just get's it done...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nathan's price doesn't bode well for the Sox efforts to fill out their bullpen this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Little high priced for an old arm.. 

BUT
    it's  less than 90 days until pitchers and catchers report  and what he we done in the off season ?

Time to get a manager on board and start building the team for 2012..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It looks like Bard will be the closer.     Who replaces Bard as the set-up man ?   Take Aceves out of the bullpen to be in the starting rotation and who replaces him as the long reliever   ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bunts. Show Bunts's posts

Nathan had a strong second half and is far enough removed from tj surgery to take it to the next level in 2012. My guess is that money would have been something the sox could have lived with .... My second guess is, money being equal, Nathan would have still chosen to go to the team that has gone to the last 2 world series, has a pitching coach and manager and a managing partner that is a pitching legend!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

RE: "A desperation move by Texas? Sounds a little over the top for that money. Could be they're overreacting from their own collapse."

WHAT THE....?? 

I mean....

HUH???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Phillies look a little foolish now ... paying Paps all that money.  And coughing up a 1st round pick to boot.   The early bird catches worms ....

Sox will fill the pen up, they need young arms, not these geriatric surgery-in-waiting types.  Enough of the experiments.   Lackey is the poster child for taking bad chances.  Nathan is a bad signing IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Nathan's price doesn't bode well for the Sox efforts to fill out their bullpen this year.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

We do have Bard and Jenks, who should combine to make less than $8mill even after Bardf's arbitration hearing.

If Jenks is healthy this year, he could be a huge plus.  But let's not overvalue the postion of closer too much like a few GMs appear to be doing.  Sing a couple Chad Qualls types to handle the middle innings if the closer market is too pricey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]With Nathan closing , Feliz will be moved into the starting rotation.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]hey DGH, thanks..i was just about to ask what that does to Feliz...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]It looks like Bard will be the closer.     Who replaces Bard as the set-up man ?   Take Aceves out of the bullpen to be in the starting rotation and who replaces him as the long reliever   ?
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

ODC, it seems a little premature to come to this conclusion so early in the hot stove season...

There are still closers on the marketplace that might end up with the Sox:
    • Heath Bell
    • Ryan Madsen
    • K-Rod

Let's not close this door until all these players have been inked elsewhere.

Now that Nathan is off the market I think Heath Bell would be a decent fit here...as a matter of fact, I would still like to see any combo of Bell, Capps and Mike Gonzalez brought in to fill the bullpen and possibly then move Aceves to the rotation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Bard is going to close and we'll see a couple of set-up guys brought in at a lower cost.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Houston Street would come at a reasonable price...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I think Bard is going to close and we'll see a couple of set-up guys brought in at a lower cost.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think that's been the plan for a few years now...I'd like to see them go get Broxton who profiles as a solid late innings guy to replace Bard in the 8th...

Sections
Shortcuts