Nationals scouting our catchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Nationals scouting our catchers

"The Nationals have a scout in Boston with an eye on the Red Sox's catchers, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (via Twitter).  The Nats will be without starting catcher Wilson Ramos for most, if not all, of the 2012 season." - from MLBtraderumors.com

I know this is from Nick Cafardo but there could be something cooking.  Nats are leading the NL East and many baseball fans consider them a contending team.  But team is without few key players and they could be looking into some help from outside.  Their key offensive OFs Werth and Morse are out, Ramos is out, their closer is out.  Any thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Nationals scouting our catchers

Bill who would you suggest for the two young pitchers? Lannan has been having some difficulty since he was sent down. Do you think they would take Shop for lefty Lannan?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CC, Ross and Salty
    for
    Werth and a young pitcher

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Shoppach is the guy that would make the most sense to the Nats. Veteran presence and only a placeholder for this year, with Ramos healthy next year. If moving Shoppach gives us an opportunity to bring up Lava, I am all for it....I have always said that Lava/Salty makes more sense then Lava/Shopp, because if you are going to play Shopp vs Lefties, you take away the opportunities when Lava would be most productive. With a Lava/Salty platoon, you can pick and choose by opposing pitcher/rest/day game/nightgame to decide the best matchup.

As for who the Nats would give up for Shopp....I would think a top A level prospect(where we have need) would suffice.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Nationals scouting our catchers:
    In Response to Re: Nationals scouting our catchers : Mooman..... Heck, this board is going to think that you sound like Bill-806....... NO ONE, will be looking to take CC off our hands, ya think ???
    Posted by Bill-806

Agreed. CC won't be going anywhere. The Nationals would be crazy to take that deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When Lavarnway gets his shot, what's the over-under for how many games before good ol' Bill, renowned for his loyalty, turns on him the first time he slumps.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think Shoppach may be the one that could be trade cuz Salty is a switch hitter. 

But Boston only rather to have a young future talent prospect or veteran in return.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

We couldn't get a bag of used balls and a fungo for Salty alone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trade possibility---

Werth, Wang and Lannan

CC, Salty, Linares and Beckett

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We may entice them into taking CC if we take Werth back, as Werth has a team crippling contract himself.  We'll probably need to sweeten the deal, as I think Werth has significantly less years remaining on his albatross contract than CC has.

When you view Werth in the appropriate context (talent vs contract as opposed to talent alone), he has negative value.

CC, Salty, and a prospect for Werth.

Pretty much: we're offering Salty and a prospect to chop years off an albatross contract (by replacing the CC contract with the Werth contract).  Also Werth has an electirc arm , which makes him well suited for LF at Fenway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

BTW, it would have to be a good prospect to get Washington to bite on my afore mentioned offer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Beckett may be an arm for the Nationals--he has a history in postseason something their guys don't have. Beckett and Shop or Salty for any combo of players and prospects?
    I don't think they have any bad contracts other than Werth's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I know it makes more sense to trade Shoppach. But I wish it were Salty. Everything tells me that we will never be a great team with Salty behind the plate as our primary guy.

So, for me, it would be Shoppach but Salty's PT would go down. It would be an even split at catcher with Lavarnway and Salty. We won't get much for Shoppach but if a team needs a catcher there are only so many available. We will get something.

It's kind of crazy to trade prospects for Washington. They should keep what they have and use them to mold the team of the future. The next few years should be good for them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

The team we should be talking to is the Angels. They are desperate and Chris Ianetta will miss the next 2 months (approximately). The Sox could use Bradly Mills or Donn Roach (Roach might be easier to obtain, since he is in a lower league) I think the Angels would jump to get Salty and Lavarnway could slide right up to the big club.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Shoppach is the guy that would make the most sense to the Nats. Veteran presence and only a placeholder for this year, with Ramos healthy next year. If moving Shoppach gives us an opportunity to bring up Lava, I am all for it....I have always said that Lava/Salty makes more sense then Lava/Shopp, because if you are going to play Shopp vs Lefties, you take away the opportunities when Lava would be most productive. With a Lava/Salty platoon, you can pick and choose by opposing pitcher/rest/day game/nightgame to decide the best matchup. As for who the Nats would give up for Shopp....I would think a top A level prospect(where we have need) would suffice.
    Posted by tomnev

I agree tom.  I would love to Lav/Salty combo.  Both young and improving.  But who could we pry from the Nationals.  A young arm maybe?  You can never have enough pitching as we have seen this year.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Nationals scouting our catchers : I agree tom.  I would love to Lav/Salty combo.  Both young and improving.  But who could we pry from the Nationals.  A young arm maybe?  You can never have enough pitching as we have seen this year.  
    Posted by Mchampion

For Shoppach, you are getting a single A player or a PTBNL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: Nationals scouting our catchers : For Shoppach, you are getting a single A player or a PTBNL.
    Posted by Drewski5

Not a bad thing if you bring Lavarnway up.  You save a few million in the process and your team just got younger.  I say look at the offers.  If the Nats were at last nights game they saw Shop blast a home run and catch Lester in a complete game well played game.  I say that bodes well for the Sox.  I say get on the phone Ben and improve this team and organization some more.  You have much work to do after the Theo mess.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Why in the world would we trade Shoppach for basically nothing???  Seriously.

In the off-season the Sox clearly thought they were better off with Lava in AAA and fielding a Salty/Shop tandem ... which has worked nicely so far despite Salty being sub-par behind the plate.  Lava hasn't raised his stock at all yet this season, so it stands to reason the team would consider Salty/Lava inferior to Salty/Shopp ... they only way the Sox trade a catcher is if they are getting something they want in return.  I'd put my money on Salty being the target.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Byrd and Shop for Lannan

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

We may entice them into taking CC if we take Werth back, as Werth has a team crippling contract himself.  We'll probably need to sweeten the deal, as I think Werth has significantly less years remaining on his albatross contract than CC has.

Werth and CC have the same length contract, the only difference is amount per year.  there's about 15 million difference over 7 years, so about 2 million per year...

The only thing is, can you trade players on the DL?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

IMO, it would be a mistake to trade Salty -- unless for a really sweet deal. He is handling the staff very well, is scooping everything in the dirt, and blocked the plate against Hannahan. He is improved and is improving. He has a good attitude and work ethic. He has some pop.

Sections
Shortcuts