Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez

Good job for them.  We are going to be stuck with 1 either or choice.  Spend more money, or suck.  We have to make that decision soon or the second option is going to be the only choice left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Really??? with the amount of talent on this team....and you say we are going to suck.

On top of that, this is good news.  THe Nats gave up 4!!!! top prospects for a guy who LED MLB in walks.  This guy is worst than dice-K,  and he did it in one of the most pitcher friendly ballparks of all of baseball.

We are better off without him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think the Nats got taken.  It's really not near the level of what the Reds gave up, but I have my doubts about Gio outside of Oakland.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Look up the people they traded all were pretty good prospects. The Nat's have a good farm system. Beane knows what he's doing--by the time he finishes with Bailey's trade he will  have a stable of pretty good prospects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm expecting nothing from the Sox new GM as he clearly has no authority to consumate any trades without first consulting with ownership. As for Gio Gonzalez he benefitted from pitching in the mosoleum in Oakland, he might be an excellent 4 or 5 guy though for the Nats but the cost was prohibitive and way out of the sox range.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]Really??? with the amount of talent on this team....and you say we are going to suck. On top of that, this is good news.  THe Nats gave up 4!!!! top prospects for a guy who LED MLB in walks.  This guy is worst than dice-K,  and he did it in one of the most pitcher friendly ballparks of all of baseball. We are better off without him.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

We will suck because we either have NO bullpen(Bard and aceves in rotation) or NO 4th and 5th starter, and our 3rd guy is coming off major injury(buch).  Our current roster will have alot of 10-8 games...We need a minimum of 2 top quality pitchers to be successful.  Preferably (1) 175 inning sub 4.25 starter, and 1 30 save closer, allowing bard and melancon to setup the closer, and Aceves to be the 5th starter.  (2) of the above described starters would be second choice, allowing bard and aceves to stay in the pen.  Third choice is a closer and setup man, as I doubt Bard and Aceves will both be successful starters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Glad that we kept our future ( prospects). Too many posters here think that prospects and money grow on trees. Too much fantasy baseball with them?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm aware of our teams problems....you fail to mention all the holes that EVERY team has.  We will likely have the best offense in the AL.  If healthy the pitching should be better than last year, we've already added one arm to the pen, likely going to add more and there are a lot of guys in AAA waiting in the wings who should be ready to contribute E.g. Wilson/Doubront/bowded should be able to contribute this year. 

Also I think you have no ability to say Bard or Aceves will be successful as a starter, unless of course you are a scout in which case I apologize.  Still I do share your concern.....so let me add this.  Moving a pitcher to the Rotation can have a Joba Chamberlin effect....or a C.J. Wilson effect....if it's the later Bard is MUCH more valuable to the team If it's the former....it will haunt us. 

Regardless I'd try to have some confidence, the blow-out last year made the team seem a lot worse than it is.  I still think this is one of the best teams on paper....much of the problems that came about last year will not be fixed with just throwing more talent into a team that is already LOADED.  Just a few tweaks here and there.  A couple guys to fill out the rotation and a couple arms in the bullpen. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Cherrington is starting to remind me of Dan Duquette in the 1990s when we were in on everything and did little but pick up garbage. Please do not tell me this team is thinking about picking up Andrew Jones. This guys productivity fell off the chart when baseball started testing for steroids. 3.4 million dollars in luxury tax is beer money for Henry as well, why is this team acting like they are paupers here. They need help in two starters, a closer and a right handed hitting outfielder.
     I really do not understand what they are doing here unless they told Cherrington to sit in his office and kick the tires on everything and do nothing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez": [QUOTE]Cherrington is starting to remind me of Dan Duquette in the 1990s when we were in on everything and did little but pick up garbage. Please do not tell me this team is thinking about picking up Andrew Jones. This guys productivity fell off the chart when baseball started testing for steroids. 3.4 million dollars in luxury tax is beer money for Henry as well, why is this team acting like they are paupers here. They need help in two starters, a closer and a right handed hitting outfielder.  I really do not understand what they are doing here unless they told Cherrington to sit in his office and kick the tires on everything and do nothing. Posted by AL34[/QUOTE] "I really do not understand." You should have stopped there...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Duqette also didn't have 180 million to play with and a team loaded with talent.

I think it says more about the ownerships perception of the team.  They don't see any BIG holes they need to be filled, they see tweaks and adjustments...fill out the end of the rotation add some bullpen depth and use some guys from within.

when some money comes off the books I'm sure CHarrington will make a name for himself....give it some time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

They announced they are out on Cordero.

Cards signed Beltran.

Nats get Gio.

No Cuddyer or Willingham.

Not even Doumit.

Ugh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will suck because we either have NO bullpen(Bard and aceves in rotation) or NO 4th and 5th starter, and our 3rd guy is coming off major injury(buch).  Our current roster will have alot of 10-8 games...We need a minimum of 2 top quality pitchers to be successful.  Preferably (1) 175 inning sub 4.25 starter, and 1 30 save closer, allowing bard and melancon to setup the closer, and Aceves to be the 5th starter.  (2) of the above described starters would be second choice, allowing bard and aceves to stay in the pen.  Third choice is a closer and setup man, as I doubt Bard and Aceves will both be successful starters.

I certainly share your concern for our staff, and I do think the final product will be better than it is right now. It will be hard to replace Paps and to rebuild the pen if one or both of Bard and Aceves do indeed become starters. However, Bard and Aceves should be huge improvements over what we had last year from our 4th to 10th starter.

We only need to improve on this...

Lackey      160 IP  6.41
    Wakefield 155 IP  5.12
    A.Miller?     65 IP  5.54 (We may see more of Miller in 2012)
    Bedard       38 IP  4.03
    Dice-K        37 IP   5.30 (We may see more of Dice-K after June)
    Weiland     25 IP   7.66

Total: 480 IP  5.66 ERA from our 4-10 starters.

That's a lot of iinings to replace, and that's not even counting...
    Wheeler  49 IP  4.38
    Okajima    8 IP  4.32
    Williams    8 IP  6.48
    R. Hill         8 IP  0.00
    Hottovy    4 IP  6.75
    Miller, Reyes, DMac:  5 IP  9.00 ERA

So far, we will have to replace these innings with:
    More IP from:
    Buchholtz      83> 183  +100
    Bard (SP?)     73> 163  +80
    Aceves (SP) 114> 174  +60
    (Dice-K from 37 to 87    +50)

There could be about 300 innings here "made up".

That leaves about 250 innings needed from:
    Doubront 10 >120  +110
    Tazawa      3> 83      + 80
    Melancon  0> 60       +60

It actually might not be as bad as we think.
    How many of these guys should be worse than a 5.66 ERA?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox not getting Gio is a GOOOOOD thing.

consider this.

how many foul balls a game are outs in Oakland would be foul balls at Fenway??? how many of those atbats may result in a double or single instead of an out???

how many fly ball outs in Oakland are doubles HR's at Fenway???

AL west ballparks vs AL East ballparks
    AL west Offenses vs. AL East offenses.

CONSIDERING ALLLLL THIS....Gio Gonzalez led MLB in walks last year.   Now I don't think he was as bad as last year suggested but look at what Boston has done to John Lackey.  GIo would SUCK here!!!

Sections
Shortcuts