Nava base running

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Nava base running

.....but then again, even if hes halfway to third and the ball is caught, theres no way he gets doubled off from that deep. Therefore its hard to call it anything but a major blunder. But even so no one is talking about it if the ump does his job. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

And the ump has just admitted he was wrong! How nice of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

.....but then again, even if hes halfway to third and the ball is caught, theres no way he gets doubled off from that deep. Therefore its hard to call it anything but a major blunder. But even so no one is talking about it if the ump does his job. 

The umps have to do a better job, plain and simple.  The technology is available, and I'm sure somebody is tracking umpires' inconsistent strike zones, missed calls, etc.  (FTR, I am against instant replay.)   Umpires who are not performing up to a certain standard need to be replaced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Is Nava even faster than Lava for whom he pinch ran?  Too funny.  Horrible choice of pr.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Jerry Meals eats another bad call. Nava scored only the umpire didn't see the play. No since crying we took a loss where we might have had a victory. The Umps have had a bad year over all, not just in Boston, but throughout the league. I only heard the game but i knew he was safe from the inflection of the radio announcers voice. Too bad they didn't have instant replay. Oh wait they do, they just don't use it. The two ball fours for strikes two nights ago pale by comparison.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I would think Nava would now be moved down the depth chart in terms of baserunner duties behind Clay Buchholz.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeCunn. Show MikeCunn's posts

I can't believe what I am reading, the team that is 19 games above 500 which there is only 4 other teams equal or better is in question of a mistake from thier fandom, WOW. The Rays are 20 games above 500, Oakland is 19 games above 500 with a 590 wining percentage, and Saint Louis is 21 games above 500 at 602 wining percentage. Redsox have a 589 wining percentage. all of these teams have played less games than the Red Sox 107, Tampa 106 Oakland 105, and Saint Louis 103. Just a thought maybe we should let the season play out before we give up on any of these teams. Just a thought

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

ahhhhhhhh

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Three blunders, one by Farrell, one by Nava, one by the ump.

What did Farrell do?

Iggy should have PR, not Nava. He is faster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

One Farrell decision I do disagree with is having Victorino attempt a sac bunt with Ells on first and 0 outs.  With Ellsbury's speed, he should have been stealing.  Then you have a runner on 2nd with no outs, and a much better chance of getting that runner home.

I agree. Another tactical blunder by Farrell. He bears a lot of the responsibility for this loss.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Surprise he didn't Pinch Run for him when he made it to 3rd, even after Nava misjudged the fly ball. You want a quick guy in case of Sacrifice Fly.

Just came home watched the replay, that Right Fielder, did a good fake on it. Nava should have played it halfway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Monday morning QB'ing runs rampant with blame being thrown everywhere.

How many of you were saying, "What??  He's going to let Lavarnway hit with Salty on the Bench??"  How'd that work out?

If Vic hits onto a DP rather than bunt you'd be screaming, "Why wasn't he moving the runner over??" 

Nava was trying to do what he could to help the team.  He obviously thought Drew's ball was going to be caught - that's why he was moving back toward 2B.  If that ball is caught Nava has a chance to tag & advance to 3B - where he would have scored from on Rodney's WP. 

There are a lot of things that COULD have been done differently that would have affected the outcome of the game, but the ONE thing that SHOULD have been done differently is the ump should have been in position and made the right call.

I don't expect an umpire to get every ball and strike call right, but a ML umpire may get, what, 10 close plays at the plate over a season?   I expect him to get ALL of those right. 

I've never been an advocate for instant replay in the past but I'm now coming around to that side of the fence.  I see too many tag calls botched by umpires who are out of position or are going by the adage of, "If the ball is there first the runner is going to be out." 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

I would think Nava would now be moved down the depth chart in terms of baserunner duties behind Clay Buchholz.  

Thank you.  I was hoping somebody could come up with a good line about this and you delivered.
    Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yeah it's called holding up because the ball might get caught....blame the ump.

No, he headed back to 2nd. If he went halfway like you are taught, he scores easily. It was worse than little league baserunning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No, you are supposed to go halfway on that play its a joke that nava didn't score on a ball that hit the right field wall

[/QUOTE]

No not if your looking to tag up.

[/QUOTE]

You don't tag up on that play because if its caught, there are two outs and you should score from 2nd on a single. You are absolutely wrong. You've obviously  never played or coached baseball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

How can the ump be on the wrong side of the plate on that play.

As for not scoring that ball should have been caught. BTW if it was caught some here would be complaining about why didn't he tag up.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Jim - You are always wearing your rose colored glasses and defending. He should have been halfway and not heading back to 2nd. If it's caught, he makes it back easily. If it's not caught he scores easily. Simple.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

S5,

I'm sorry, but while I agree with your overall philosophy, I can't agree with your defense of Nava.  He did the one thing that guaranteed he would neither score on a hit, which is what happened, or advance to third base if the ball was caught.  He went almost to the midway point, then danced around, then bolted for second as the ball went by the rightfielder.  He clearly was not thinking/reacting as a MLB player should. 

Part of the blame has to lie with Farrell for not using Iglesias instead.  After the game he said he wanted to use Iglesias later.  What later?  This was the golden scoring opportunity of the entire game with Price gone and Rodney the bull ready to pitch the 9th.  Iglesias is faster than Nava and a better instinctive player, which Nava clearly is not. 

Strangely enough, I don't fault the umpire as much as everyone else even though I agree he was out of position.    The replay showed it was a very close play with Nava barely getting home plate before the tag, on top of which, Molina is a master at making the "out" look good. 

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that, whenever Iglesias starts, the Sox do not have a good pinch runner available.  Ironically, last night was a rare instance when one was available and Farrell unwisely chose not to use him.  The guy he did send in failed to score not once but twice.  The guy he failed to send in would have scored with either opportunity. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to xdrive's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No, you are supposed to go halfway on that play its a joke that nava didn't score on a ball that hit the right field wall

[/QUOTE]

No not if your looking to tag up.

[/QUOTE]

You don't tag up on that play because if its caught, there are two outs and you should score from 2nd on a single. You are absolutely wrong. You've obviously  never played or coached baseball.

[/QUOTE]

WOw....maybe you won't to read the rest of the thread before you go attacking people.  I admited I was wrong afterword as I had forgoten the outs.  You're obviously holding some kind of biased towards me because I've often disagreed with you and feel the need to insult me.....classy and predictable. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

Southpaw, all due respect, but Nava was not the right choice.  He makes bad decisions when judgment is required on the basepaths, plus he is a decent bet to trip going around third when he really needs to turn on the speed.  Iglesias is faster and a better instinctive player.  I honestly thing that, even if Nava had stayed in the middle between 2d and 3d, there was a good chance he was going to be thrown out on that double.  He is that bad. 

The ump was out of position, granted, but it was still a very close play and even in the correct position the ump might still have gotten the call wrong. 

do you have any other examples of him making "poor choices" on the basepaths? Or are you just making a reactionary post in the heat of the moment?

[/QUOTE]

Tagging up from first on a foul pop to the catcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to S5's comment:

How many of you were saying, "What??  He's going to let Lavarnway hit with Salty on the Bench??"  How'd that work out?

If Vic hits onto a DP rather than bunt you'd be screaming, "Why wasn't he moving the runner over??" 

Nava was trying to do what he could to help the team.  He obviously thought Drew's ball was going to be caught - that's why he was moving back toward 2B.  If that ball is caught Nava has a chance to tag & advance to 3B - where he would have scored from on Rodney's WP. 

There are a lot of things that COULD have been done differently that would have affected the outcome of the game, but the ONE thing that SHOULD have been done differently is the ump should have been in position and made the right call.

I don't expect an umpire to get every ball and strike call right, but a ML umpire may get, what, 10 close plays at the plate over a season?   I expect him to get ALL of those right. 

I've never been an advocate for instant replay in the past but I'm now coming around to that side of the fence.  I see too many tag calls botched by umpires who are out of position or are going by the adage of, "If the ball is there first the runner is going to be out." 

Rodney wasn't even in the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rodney wasn't even in the game.

[/QUOTE]

Mea culpa.  I got the innings confused.  :-(

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

3 Points....1) Clearly Nava is not a great base runner.....his read on the ball being caught or not was horrible.....he admiiteed to his mistake....2) that said, being in position to tag up, even though there was one out, is still a good move....with Nava's speed and at Fenway, there would be many balls to the OF he would not score on a single to the OF....ehich is nother reason why Iglesias should have been the PR and not him.....3) there is NO EXCUSE for the UMP to miss that call.....if he was in the proper position, the play was not even that close, by the time Moilina tagged Nava, he was already popping up from the slide by contacting the Shin Guard, but the Umpire needs to make sure he has a view of the plate....you can't make an accurate call of a play at the plate without seeing the plate.....you may get the call right, but that would just be luck....to allow yourself to get blocked out by the Cathcher is inexcusable, two shorts steps to his left and the view is there.....I do not want to kill the game with numerous Instant Replays, but just like HR's are reviewed, so should plays at the plate....a run on a play at the plate counts as much as a run from a HR. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think Iglesias would have been a better choice to pinch run.

Stabbed by Foulke.

AFTER THE FACT !!!!