Nava base running

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Nava base running

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that, whenever Iglesias starts, the Sox do not have a good pinch runner available.  Ironically, last night was a rare instance when one was available and Farrell unwisely chose not to use him.  The guy he did send in failed to score not once but twice.  The guy he failed to send in would have scored with either opportunity. 

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree.  It's somwhat ironic that the Sox now have four players with decent (or better) speed  - which is more than I can remember - and last night they didn't take advantage of that speed. 

As you can tell from my previous post, I'm not much of a Monday Morning QB.  On the whole I think the manager knows more than I do about things so I try to not second-guess him.  However, I would like to ask Farrell exactly what he was hoping for in the 9th inning that would make Iggy more valuable as a PR then than he would have been in the 8th especially with the three fastest guys in the lineup coming up next in the order. 

On the whole the outcome of that game was a very bitter pill to swallow.  We like to tell people to control the things they can control, and the players did that. The players played hard and got themselves back into the game, then they were let down by something completely out of their control. 

I can understand an umpire making a bad call in judgement.  That happens and will be rectified next year with the use of instant replay.  What I can't forgive is an umpire not being in position to be able to see what's happening. 

I see a few good things coming out of that game.

1)  After being shut down by Price for 16 innings they had enough left in themselves to come back and try to win that game late.  That says a lot about their courage.

2)  Last night's play at the plate will become a reason to implement IR next year - if there's any doubt that it's needed.

3)  This team has been continually maligned for a lack of star talent.  Not many people expected them to be where they are and I believe they've developed an "us against the world" mentality because of it.  This will reinforce that mentality and they'll continue to play even harder.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

How can the ump be on the wrong side of the plate on that play.

As for not scoring that ball should have been caught. BTW if it was caught some here would be complaining about why didn't he tag up.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

You play that halfway. Period. End of discussion. Just like Remy, who has played the game professionally, said during the broadcast. It was a baserunning blunder.

CORRECT, but Iglesias should have been the runner, and Carp the hitter for Snyder... It seems Farrell is just a good pitching coach!... Ugly ump call, just a by product...we lost it with our blunders....

+1

This says it all!!  Farrell was an idiot for running Nava.  We deserved to lose that game with all the mistakes and as good as Price was pitching.  The weather gave us a reprieve and a shot at stealing this one,  and Farrell "spit the bit".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to MikeCunn's comment:

I can't believe what I am reading, the team that is 19 games above 500 which there is only 4 other teams equal or better is in question of a mistake from thier fandom, WOW. The Rays are 20 games above 500, Oakland is 19 games above 500 with a 590 wining percentage, and Saint Louis is 21 games above 500 at 602 wining percentage. Redsox have a 589 wining percentage. all of these teams have played less games than the Red Sox 107, Tampa 106 Oakland 105, and Saint Louis 103. Just a thought maybe we should let the season play out before we give up on any of these teams. Just a thought

Thanks for reading us the MLB Standings.  Geez!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

it wasnt good base running. it had nothing to do with Farrell PG, because if Nava played it right he would have scored. Either way, the Ump was completely out of position and totally kicked the pooch on that one. At the least it shouldve have been tied.

Exactly. Farrell didn't screw up. The  problem wasn't Nava's speed,  it was that he misread Drew's ball. He screwed up by retreating to second. Speed-wise, anybody on the roster (Ortiz included) could have scored on that hit. I don't get the criticism of Farrell on this at all.  It was Nava misreading the ball, not his lack of speed.

The ump was most definitely out of position to make that call. Why be behind the catcher when he could have shifted  over a few feet to his left and seen the entire plate? In fact, the ump couldn't have fouund a worse angle to see the  play.

At least he had the stones to admit he was wrong. Which he apparently knew immediately,  judging by the look on his face as Farrell tore him a new one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to S5's comment:

If Vic hits onto a DP rather than bunt you'd be screaming, "Why wasn't he moving the runner over??" 

Like you, I am not one to second guess the managers' decisions often.  I know that they know more than I do, and I also know that there are circumstances that the managers are aware of that I am not privy to.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In this case, I disagree with the decision to sacrifice because the numbers don't support it.  He should have been moving the runner to 2nd, but not by way of the sac bunt. He could have had Ells steal, or he could have hit and run.   There is no guarantee that either of those options would have worked out either, but had they gone wrong, I would be supporting the decision to try them.  I understand that sometimes even the right decision does not work out.

What I won't do is blame the outcome of the game on any single player, play, or manager's decision.   There is far too much that goes on in any game to attribute the outcome to one single event.  Nava made a baserunning mistake and he should have scored on that play, IMO, but he is not to blame for the loss.  Farrell is not to blame for the loss.  The ump, with his gross miscall, is not to blame for the loss.  There is no guarantee that the outcome of the game would have been any different had any of those plays turned out differently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Exactly. Farrell didn't screw up. The  problem wasn't Nava's speed,  it was that he misread Drew's ball. He screwed up by retreating to second. Speed-wise, anybody on the roster (Ortiz included) could have scored on that hit.

With all respect to you and Farrell both, I think he did screw up.  First, the fact that anybody could have scored there isn't really a good argument for using Nava.  What if it was a single, where speed was more of a factor?

Secondly, Nava has not shown himself to be a baserunner with good instincts.  I think that is the key issue here.

Farrell has said he held back Iglesias to use him as a defensive replacement.

It was a tactical mistake.  Scoring the run should have been the focus.

I'm sure Farrell will do it differently if a similar situation arises again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Exactly. Farrell didn't screw up. The  problem wasn't Nava's speed,  it was that he misread Drew's ball. He screwed up by retreating to second. Speed-wise, anybody on the roster (Ortiz included) could have scored on that hit.

With all respect to you and Farrell both, I think he did screw up.  First, the fact that anybody could have scored there isn't really a good argument for using Nava.  What if it was a single, where speed was more of a factor?

Secondly, Nava has not shown himself to be a baserunner with good instincts.  I think that is the key issue here.

Farrell has said he held back Iglesias to use him as a defensive replacement.

It was a tactical mistake.  Scoring the run should have been the focus.

I'm sure Farrell will do it differently if a similar situation arises again.

[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll agree to disagree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Kimmi, you are right, of course.  This game like most others had many opportunities for good and bad things to happen, so blaming one person is unfair.  The reality of this game is that the Sox were dead in the water with Price on the mound.  The Pesky pole dinger was sheer luck, and the Rays still had enough lead to win with Price.  But then the rains came and with it an opportunity when Maddon took Price out after that one K.  So Lavarnway and Drew hit back to back doubles that do not lead to the tying run primarily because of Nava and secondarily because of Farrell and the home plate ump. 

What we all need to remember is that Nava was the tying, not the winning run.  If he had scored on the Drew double, chances are the Sox don't score again in the 8th or in the 9th.  We also need to remember that Doubront only giving up two runs was a minor miracle because he didn't have command of his pitches, period.  Price, on the other hand, seemed to be able to place his pitches almost exactly where he wanted them, and he had that very good fastball going plus breaking balls. 

With all that said, I still contend Nava was the wrong choice to be in there--Iglesias is a much better baserunner.  And, even though Nava only represented the tying and not the winning run, the correct call by Farrell was to spend his great fielding SS/3B as a pinch runner and get the game tied.  That's the normal rule for the home team. 

Overall, though, you are right.  It was a heckuva game which was the Rays to win with Price on the mound.  We almost got lucky, but blundered at a critical juncture. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nava is an MLB player that is expected to know how many outs and the situation. His speed doesnt matter in this case. if he plays the ball 1/2-3/4 the way to 3b, he scores. Whos to say Iggy wouldnt slip going around 3b or miss the bag? Dont laugh, weve all seen it happen. To say Farrell should have put Iggy in because everything would have worked our perfectly is ridiculous. you CANT guarantee everything would have gone smoothly. And again, speed had nothing to do with the mistake. Besides, Farrell probably had a good reason for using nava and we will probably find out soon enough.

Lav and Drew came through when it was needed and I dont think this will affect how well these guys play as a TEAM. They will bounce back and win tonight.

Anyway its over. Like the Sox, Im moving on. see you all on another thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that, whenever Iglesias starts, the Sox do not have a good pinch runner available.  Ironically, last night was a rare instance when one was available and Farrell unwisely chose not to use him.  The guy he did send in failed to score not once but twice.  The guy he failed to send in would have scored with either opportunity. 

I absolutely agree.  It's somwhat ironic that the Sox now have four players with decent (or better) speed  - which is more than I can remember - and last night they didn't take advantage of that speed. 

As you can tell from my previous post, I'm not much of a Monday Morning QB.  On the whole I think the manager knows more than I do about things so I try to not second-guess him.  However, I would like to ask Farrell exactly what he was hoping for in the 9th inning that would make Iggy more valuable as a PR then than he would have been in the 8th especially with the three fastest guys in the lineup coming up next in the order. 

On the whole the outcome of that game was a very bitter pill to swallow.  We like to tell people to control the things they can control, and the players did that. The players played hard and got themselves back into the game, then they were let down by something completely out of their control. 

I can understand an umpire making a bad call in judgement.  That happens and will be rectified next year with the use of instant replay.  What I can't forgive is an umpire not being in position to be able to see what's happening. 

I see a few good things coming out of that game.

1)  After being shut down by Price for 16 innings they had enough left in themselves to come back and try to win that game late.  That says a lot about their courage.

2)  Last night's play at the plate will become a reason to implement IR next year - if there's any doubt that it's needed.

3)  This team has been continually maligned for a lack of star talent.  Not many people expected them to be where they are and I believe they've developed an "us against the world" mentality because of it.  This will reinforce that mentality and they'll continue to play even harder.   

[/QUOTE]

Typical S5 stuff--better than anything I said.  I do think the plan for Iglesias was to be a late inning defensive replacement with the possible opportunity to pinch hit or pinch run when he went in.  But, as you and Peter Abraham both say, the bottom of the 8th is already very late in the game. 

Completely agree with #3, which was very much in evidence last night.  Just think-- Lavarnway and Drew got the big hits when the Sox backs were against the wall. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Kimmi, you are right, of course.  This game like most others had many opportunities for good and bad things to happen, so blaming one person is unfair.  The reality of this game is that the Sox were dead in the water with Price on the mound.  The Pesky pole dinger was sheer luck, and the Rays still had enough lead to win with Price.  But then the rains came and with it an opportunity when Maddon took Price out after that one K.  So Lavarnway and Drew hit back to back doubles that do not lead to the tying run primarily because of Nava and secondarily because of Farrell and the home plate ump. 

What we all need to remember is that Nava was the tying, not the winning run.  If he had scored on the Drew double, chances are the Sox don't score again in the 8th or in the 9th.  We also need to remember that Doubront only giving up two runs was a minor miracle because he didn't have command of his pitches, period.  Price, on the other hand, seemed to be able to place his pitches almost exactly where he wanted them, and he had that very good fastball going plus breaking balls. 

With all that said, I still contend Nava was the wrong choice to be in there--Iglesias is a much better baserunner.  And, even though Nava only represented the tying and not the winning run, the correct call by Farrell was to spend his great fielding SS/3B as a pinch runner and get the game tied.  That's the normal rule for the home team. 

Overall, though, you are right.  It was a heckuva game which was the Rays to win with Price on the mound.  We almost got lucky, but blundered at a critical juncture. 

Good post Max.   The points you made in the first two paragraphs are exactly what I'm talking about.  And I agree that Nava was the wrong choice, but I do try to give the manager the benefit of the doubt.   There are things that Nava, Farrell, even the ump could have done differently, but none of those guarantee a win for the Sox.

All that said, you do hate to see the chance for a win taken away by an umpire's bad call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Here is Farrell's rationale for using Nava as a pinch runner over Iglesias:

"In that moment, wanted to keep that option of a double-switch open right there," Farrell said. "Because, if we were to extend this game, I wanted a left-handed hitter behind Gomes with the potential for a right-handed pitcher on the mound, and that's why Nava was the pinch-runner."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

"In that moment, wanted to keep that option of a double-switch open right there," Farrell said. "Because, if we were to extend this game, I wanted a left-handed hitter behind Gomes with the potential for a right-handed pitcher on the mound, and that's why Nava was the pinch-runner."

I knew there would be an obvious and rational reason. He wasnt just thinking of that inning, but the 9th and possibly extra innings. Thats why hes the manager and none of us are.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Ok.  I'll buy that.  I don't agree with it but I'll buy it.  Of course I also don't agree with allowing Lavarnway to hit in the 8th with Salty on the bench either.    Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok.  I'll buy that.  I don't agree with it but I'll buy it.  Of course I also don't agree with allowing Lavarnway to hit in the 8th with Salty on the bench either.    Smile

Neither did I S5...The crow was tasty thoughTongue Out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Typical S5 stuff--better than anything I said. 

Thanks, but it's not true.  Anytime I see a post by maxbialystock I know it's going to be based in logic, reason, common sense, and a passion for the sox.  What more can I ask for??  Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

it wasnt good base running. it had nothing to do with Farrell PG, because if Nava played it right he would have scored. Either way, the Ump was completely out of position and totally kicked the pooch on that one. At the least it shouldve have been tied.

Exactly. Farrell didn't screw up. The  problem wasn't Nava's speed,  it was that he misread Drew's ball. He screwed up by retreating to second. Speed-wise, anybody on the roster (Ortiz included) could have scored on that hit. I don't get the criticism of Farrell on this at all.  It was Nava misreading the ball, not his lack of speed.

The ump was most definitely out of position to make that call. Why be behind the catcher when he could have shifted  over a few feet to his left and seen the entire plate? In fact, the ump couldn't have fouund a worse angle to see the  play.

At least he had the stones to admit he was wrong. Which he apparently knew immediately,  judging by the look on his face as Farrell tore him a new one.

Farrell DID screw up Lloyd. Yes, the misjudging of the fly ball (or whatever excuse Nava gave for his boneheaded play) is on HIM. However, on Snyder's sac fly Iggy would have more easily scored due to his speed. It would not have been a close play at the plate and the ump would not have had the opportunity to make his mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's good that the question was asked and answered.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I knew there would be an obvious and rational reason. He wasnt just thinking of that inning, but the 9th and possibly extra innings. Thats why hes the manager and none of us are.

Thats total BS logic SP. The reason: first you actually have to TIE the game,. THEN you can worry about who is up when. Its dumb managing. Farrell was covering up for his blunder.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Not a good strategy by Farrell. You have to tie the game in the 8th, before you start thinking about possible extra inning scenarios. Besides, Salty would have entered the game as the left handed bat, and you would still have had Nava on the bench to hit for Gomes if needed.  Also, Iglesias could have stayed in the game after pinch running, replacing Snyder for defense if we had tied it in the 8th. I have plenty of respect for Farrell and the job he has done. This was a mistake. We all make them.

Stabbed by Foulke

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Not a good strategy by Farrell. You have to tie the game in the 8th, before you start thinking about possible extra inning scenarios. Besides, Salty would have entered the game as the left handed bat, and you would still have had Nava on the bench to hit for Gomes if needed.  Also, Iglesias could have stayed in the game after pinch running, replacing Snyder for defense if we had tied it in the 8th. I have plenty of respect for Farrell and the job he has done. This was a mistake. We all make them.

Stabbed by Foulke

Sounds to me like Farrell knew he made a mistake and overestimated the chances of Nava scoring a run-then covered up for it with some warped logic. I think that overall he has done a good job too, but the mistakes are beginning to pile up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Nava is not a good baserunner because he lacks baserunning instincts.  Papi would have scored despite being slower than Nava because he does have good instincts on the base paths and reads those types of balls well. 

I have no idea if Lavarnway is a decent runner or not.  In retrospect, it might have been better to just leave him out there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

[QUOTE]

One Farrell decision I do disagree with is having Victorino attempt a sac bunt with Ells on first and 0 outs.  With Ellsbury's speed, he should have been stealing.  Then you have a runner on 2nd with no outs, and a much better chance of getting that runner home.

I agree. Another tactical blunder by Farrell. He bears a lot of the responsibility for this loss.

Pump no one has said anything yet, but remember the Oakland game. I believe it was the Sunday game when Pedoria thought he  hit a double & Nava was sitting on second & should have been on third. Same thing didn't score because of stupid base running, even the Oakland announcers kept talking about our bad baserunning cost us a run.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to NLU75's comment:

[QUOTE]

One Farrell decision I do disagree with is having Victorino attempt a sac bunt with Ells on first and 0 outs.  With Ellsbury's speed, he should have been stealing.  Then you have a runner on 2nd with no outs, and a much better chance of getting that runner home.

I agree. Another tactical blunder by Farrell. He bears a lot of the responsibility for this loss.

Pump no one has said anything yet, but remember the Oakland game. I believe it was the Sunday game when Pedoria thought he  hit a double & Nava was sitting on second & should have been on third. Same thing didn't score because of stupid base running, even the Oakland announcers kept talking about our bad baserunning cost us a run.

I don't remember that event, even though I could have been at the game. I don't ever want to see Daniel Nava pinch running again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

Farrell DID screw up Lloyd. Yes, the misjudging of the fly ball (or whatever excuse Nava gave for his boneheaded play) is on HIM. However, on Snyder's sac fly Iggy would have more easily scored due to his speed. It would not have been a close play at the plate and the ump would not have had the opportunity to make his mistake.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree completely. You were on the chat last  night ... I don't recall you complaining at the time about Nava being in insead of Iggy.

As for the play at the plate, it was close because of Fuld's terrific throw,  not because of Nava's speed.

Sections
Shortcuts