Nava base running

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Nava base running

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well in the end he ran hard and beat a throw to the plate.....I still blame the ump.

Blame Nava for awful running, blame Farrell for not using  Iglesias instead of Nava, blame Farrell for not using Carp in 8th inning... The ump ugly call is just a by-product of Farrell shabby strategy... forgive me  Tito, I thought you were a bad strategist... 

Cant accept this!...

[/QUOTE]

I blame the bad call first...why wouldn't you? If the right call was made all those decisions get wiped out.  Sometimes it pays off when you make the wrong decision and sometimes it doesn't when you make the right decision....in the end the ump blew it.  I'm not going to get my pantys in a bunch and start blaming everyone and thing that is possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

it wasnt good base running. it had nothing to do with Farrell PG, because if Nava played it right he would have scored. Either way, the Ump was completely out of position and totally kicked the pooch on that one. At the least it shouldve have been tied.

Farrell said just that, on the post game paw, in no uncertain terms. He may have talked himself out of some money.

he gave the umpire what for. It looked like he really ripped him a new one and the look on the umpires face was confirmation IMO

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

How can the ump be on the wrong side of the plate on that play.

As for not scoring that ball should have been caught. BTW if it was caught some here would be complaining about why didn't he tag up.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

You play that halfway. Period. End of discussion. Just like Remy, who has played the game professionally, said during the broadcast. It was a baserunning blunder.

[/QUOTE]

CORRECT, but Iglesias should have been the runner, and Carp the hitter for Snyder... It seems Farrell is just a good pitching coach!... Ugly ump call, just a by product...we lost it with our blunders....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

it wasnt good base running. it had nothing to do with Farrell PG, because if Nava played it right he would have scored. Either way, the Ump was completely out of position and totally kicked the pooch on that one. At the least it shouldve have been tied.

Farrell said just that, on the post game paw, in no uncertain terms. He may have talked himself out of some money.

Those blaming Farrell need to adjust their thinking. Price shut them down for 7 1/3 innings except for a cheap HR. Choosing Nava to PR was fine. Nava didnt do what he was supposed to. The Ump then blew the call. I also have no issue with Naps hitting. He just recently hit a WO, and has been hitting good as of late. No reason to hit for him there.

The Commish needs to really start coming down harder on some of these umpires. This weekend series was God awful and tonight was no better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

How can the ump be on the wrong side of the plate on that play.

As for not scoring that ball should have been caught. BTW if it was caught some here would be complaining about why didn't he tag up.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

You play that halfway. Period. End of discussion. Just like Remy, who has played the game professionally, said during the broadcast. It was a baserunning blunder.

[/QUOTE]

CORRECT, but Iglesias should have been the runner, and Carp the hitter for Snyder... It seems Farrell is just a good pitching coach!... Ugly ump call, just a by product...we lost it with our blunders....

[/QUOTE]

He just a good hitting coach whos team has one of the best records in baseball? Ok...thats a completely emotional response.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Those blaming Farrell need to adjust their thinking. Price shut them down for 7 1/3 innings except for a cheap HR. Choosing Nava to PR was fine. Nava didnt do what he was supposed to. The Ump then blew the call. I also have no issue with Naps hitting. He just recently hit a WO, and has been hitting good as of late. No reason to hit for him there.

But Nava isn't fast, and he also just doesn't seem to be a good baserunner, so he wouldn't really be the best choice to pinch-run there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

But Nava isn't fast, and he also just doesn't seem to be a good baserunner, so he wouldn't really be the best choice to pinch-run there.

Salty would have scored if he played it 1/2 to 3/4 to 3rd base Hfx...It didnt matter that it was Nava. All players are expected to know the basics about base running.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Salty would have scored if he played it 1/2 to 3/4 to 3rd base Hfx...It didnt matter that it was Nava.

[/QUOTE]

OK, but forgetting the speed factor, the fact that Nava messed up the play, and has messed up a few other times this year, kind of confirms he was a bad choice IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nava was accountable. Said he misread the ball and should have scored on the play, before the one he was called out on at the plate. He said there was no doubt in his mind he was safe. He was asked what Farrell said to the umpire he said he couldnt hear there was so much crowd noise...LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Southpaw, all due respect, but Nava was not the right choice.  He makes bad decisions when judgment is required on the basepaths, plus he is a decent bet to trip going around third when he really needs to turn on the speed.  Iglesias is faster and a better instinctive player.  I honestly thing that, even if Nava had stayed in the middle between 2d and 3d, there was a good chance he was going to be thrown out on that double.  He is that bad. 

The ump was out of position, granted, but it was still a very close play and even in the correct position the ump might still have gotten the call wrong. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The Commish needs to really start coming down harder on some of these umpires. This weekend series was God awful and tonight was no better.

I blame DREW. If he hit it over the bullpen wall, there wouldn't be a baserunning issueTongue Out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Salty would have scored if he played it 1/2 to 3/4 to 3rd base Hfx...It didnt matter that it was Nava.

Besides the speed factor, maybe Iggy doesn't make the mistake that Nava made and scores on Drew's hit. Maybe Iggy's speed makes enough of a difference that the ump gets the call right at home plate. I'm not going to crucify Farrell over that decision, but to me, Iggy would have made more sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

One Farrell decision I do disagree with is having Victorino attempt a sac bunt with Ells on first and 0 outs.  With Ellsbury's speed, he should have been stealing.  Then you have a runner on 2nd with no outs, and a much better chance of getting that runner home.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Southpaw, all due respect, but Nava was not the right choice.  He makes bad decisions when judgment is required on the basepaths, plus he is a decent bet to trip going around third when he really needs to turn on the speed.  Iglesias is faster and a better instinctive player.  I honestly thing that, even if Nava had stayed in the middle between 2d and 3d, there was a good chance he was going to be thrown out on that double.  He is that bad. 

The ump was out of position, granted, but it was still a very close play and even in the correct position the ump might still have gotten the call wrong. 

do you have any other examples of him making "poor choices" on the basepaths? Or are you just making a reactionary post in the heat of the moment?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Nava's star is fading. His first half was great, but man his blunders are getting costly. He flat out messed up tonight. Time to bring up JBJ

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

One Farrell decision I do disagree with is having Victorino attempt a sac bunt with Ells on first and 0 outs.  With Ellsbury's speed, he should have been stealing.  Then you have a runner on 2nd with no outs, and a much better chance of getting that runner home.

Hi Kimmi...I've heard a few other people say this too.  Maybe they didn't steal because Rodney throws mostly 98 MPH fastballs and Molina has a strong arm?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Most reasonable people will agree that Farrell has done an outstanding job. That does not make him perfect and immune to criticism. With a choice of Nava or Iglesias to pinch run , Iglesias was the better option. I don't think there should be any argument about that. I am sure he had his reasons for using Nava, but it certainly appeared to be a mistake.

Stabbed by Foulke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury did steal second.  But guess what?  He couldn't steal home and Rodney was still going to be able to mow down Pedroia, Napoli, Carp, Gomes, whoever--everyone except Ortiz, who he was going to walk unless the bases were loaded. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Hi Kimmi...I've heard a few other people say this too. Maybe they didn't steal because Rodney throws mostly 98 MPH fastballs and Molina has a strong arm?

Hi Bob, Fair enough point, and I'm sure they were reasoning along those lines, but it's still a bad idea to sacrifice with a runner on 1st and 0 outs, unless you have a very weak hitter up, like a pitcher. Whether Ells steals or not, Victorino should have been swinging away, IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

do you have any other examples of him making "poor choices" on the basepaths? Or are you just making a reactionary post in the heat of the moment?

[/QUOTE]

Just the other day he tried to tag up and go to second on a foul pop up...the yankee catcher threw him out by 10 feet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

We wuz robbed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just the other day he tried to tag up and go to second on a foul pop up...the yankee catcher threw him out by 10 feet.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the knowledge drop.

carry on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Why should he lose money?  Because he told the truth?  The manager should be able to tell the press the real deal, and the evidence backs him up.  

He got ejected, but there is never a recourse when an ump tosses someone for have the temerity to argue about his bone-headed call.

I was trained as an umpire for Little League where to position myself.  These guys should know better.  Third base ump probably saw the whole thing.  Could've stepped up and told HP ump he was wrong.  Folks need to be told they are wrong and be ok with that.

What if this was the World Series?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Very frustrating end to this game....when Drew hit that ball I thought it might go out...just about did. I could not believe Nava didn't score on that...very poor baserunning on his part. The umpire was in the wrong place to call the play when Nava tried to tag up....he was blocked out by Molina and didn't see Nava touch the plate before the tag....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well in the end he ran hard and beat a throw to the plate.....I still blame the ump.

Blame Nava for awful running, blame Farrell for not using  Iglesias instead of Nava, blame Farrell for not using Carp in 8th inning... The ump ugly call is just a by-product of Farrell shabby strategy... forgive me  Tito, I thought you were a bad strategist... 

Cant accept this!...

[/QUOTE]

I blame the bad call first...why wouldn't you? If the right call was made all those decisions get wiped out.  Sometimes it pays off when you make the wrong decision and sometimes it doesn't when you make the right decision....in the end the ump blew it.  I'm not going to get my pantys in a bunch and start blaming everyone and thing that is possible.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. The umpire's call takes precedence because Nava not scoring--while bad--was at least a little understandable. It may have been tough to tell if that ball was going to be caught until the last moment. However, with one out he should have been further off the bag, which makes me wonder if he didnt think there were no outs and he wanted to tag and get to third with one out? Interesting.....