Nava base running

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Nava base running

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

it wasnt good base running. it had nothing to do with Farrell PG, because if Nava played it right he would have scored. Either way, the Ump was completely out of position and totally kicked the pooch on that one. At the least it shouldve have been tied.

Exactly. Farrell didn't screw up. The  problem wasn't Nava's speed,  it was that he misread Drew's ball. He screwed up by retreating to second. Speed-wise, anybody on the roster (Ortiz included) could have scored on that hit. I don't get the criticism of Farrell on this at all.  It was Nava misreading the ball, not his lack of speed.

The ump was most definitely out of position to make that call. Why be behind the catcher when he could have shifted  over a few feet to his left and seen the entire plate? In fact, the ump couldn't have fouund a worse angle to see the  play.

At least he had the stones to admit he was wrong. Which he apparently knew immediately,  judging by the look on his face as Farrell tore him a new one.

Farrell DID screw up Lloyd. Yes, the misjudging of the fly ball (or whatever excuse Nava gave for his boneheaded play) is on HIM. However, on Snyder's sac fly Iggy would have more easily scored due to his speed. It would not have been a close play at the plate and the ump would not have had the opportunity to make his mistake.

Disagree completely. You were on the chat last  night ... I don't recall you complaining at the time about Nava being in insead of Iggy.

As for the play at the plate, it was close because of Fuld's terrific throw,  not because of Nava's speed.

Yup. Its something I realized afterwards. Do you think Ellsbury would have made it in standing up despite Fuld's "terrific throw"? Probably. The point is that Iggy is faster than Nava and he would have therefore arrived sooner. The ump would not be put in a position to even make that mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yup. Its something I realized afterwards. Do you think Ellsbury would have made it in standing up despite Fuld's "terrific throw"? Probably. The point is that Iggy is faster than Nava and he would have therefore arrived sooner. The ump would not be put in a position to even make that mistake.

You realized what  afterwards?

Yes, I suspect Ells would  have made  it standing.  Then again, he's the fastest  guy on the team and one of the fastest in MLB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yes, I suspect Ells would  have made  it standing.  Then again, he's the fastest  guy on the team and one of the fastest in MLB.

[/QUOTE]

I realized that Iggy should have been the pinch runner, not Nava.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

How can the ump be on the wrong side of the plate on that play.

As for not scoring that ball should have been caught. BTW if it was caught some here would be complaining about why didn't he tag up.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

You play that halfway. Period. End of discussion. Just like Remy, who has played the game professionally, said during the broadcast. It was a baserunning blunder.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't questioning why he should have played it half way. I said if he did and the ball was caught there would be some here questioning why he did not tag up.

[/QUOTE]

Those people would be fools, at 2nd base he is already in scoring position no need to tag

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah. So after the fact, after Nava screwed up, you realized Iggy should have been pinch running.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

This is why Gomes has been playing over Nava, he has made some bad baserunning moves a couple times this season and it seems to be a really bad part of his game.  If I am the Sox I am not using him in key situations anymore.  

I would like to see them use Mike Carp more against RHP, and not have Gomes out there as much as he seems to be in a slump.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ah. So after the fact, after Nava screwed up, you realized Iggy should have been pinch running.

[/QUOTE]

Certainly once Nava reached 3B and a sac fly ties the game Iggy should have been in there. To be honest, I was distracted doing something else during that part of the game. However, looking back at it, putting Iggy in as PR would have been a smarter tactic, yes. He is FASTER, and when you need a run, speed on the bases is very important.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

According to Fangraph's UBR (Ultimate Base Running), Nava's baserunning (not including stolen bases or caught stealing) has been worth 2.2 runs above average.  In contrast, Iggy's UBR is -1.1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

According to Fangraph's UBR (Ultimate Base Running), Nava's baserunning (not including stolen bases or caught stealing) has been worth 2.2 runs above average.  In contrast, Iggy's UBR is -1.1.

Maybe so, but Iggy IS faster and would most likely have scored more easily than Nava on the sac fly last night, making the umps job more difficult to botch. Tagging up on a sac fly is not rocket science. That would have given us a chance to win the game-it still would only have been tied.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Does ubr(?) Take boneheadedness into account?

Anybody knows igs scores. The whole math thing is irrelevent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Kimmi, this looks more like a typical hill post than one of yours.  No need for discussion on a chatboard, just post WAR links.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Nava admitted his mistake, Farrell kind of admitted that Iglesias probably should have been the pinch runner and the umpire admitted that he made a mistake as well.

My question is--should someone in the bullpen have been able to help make the call to go when they saw the ball getting over the right fielder's head?

Tough angle for both Nava and Butterfield, but an easy angle for someone in the pen.

Yes, I do know that the bullpen guys are usually not responsible for base runners, but an alert guy out there could have helped.

Sections
Shortcuts