NAVA BREAKS DOWN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VAL + FARRELL!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: NAVA BREAKS DOWN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VAL + FARRELL!

Also Bobby V was  insane. Lets not forget that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

was explaining y he hit the HR.. said its nice playin for a manager who respects the players and him enough like tito who give the playas a heads up when they were starting. knew like 2 days in advance, so was able to get prepped mentally. val felt noneed for that. get ready when i tell u to get ready! old chool dictator type is passe! farrell is the ultimate new school "player's coach/manager!"

Spot on BPSL. The players of today are part of a different generation, and respond to much different stimuli. Davey Johnson learned humility caring for his invalid son, and he carries that with him to the clubhouse. Bobby V. was a pompous ego maniac, who managed to ruffle the feathers of Mike Aviles, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis in the first week of ST. Carl Crawford wouldn't even take his calls in the off season. Valentine is confrontational by nature, he financed a documentary critical of MLB operations in the DR, called out star players before he knew them, and signed a radio deal with a NYC station...it's ALL about Bobby. What a breath of fresh air Farrell is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

was explaining y he hit the HR.. said its nice playin for a manager who respects the players and him enough like tito who give the playas a heads up when they were starting. knew like 2 days in advance, so was able to get prepped mentally. val felt noneed for that. get ready when i tell u to get ready! old chool dictator type is passe! farrell is the ultimate new school "player's coach/manager!"

Spot on BPSL. The players of today are part of a different generation, and respond to much different stimuli. Davey Johnson learned humility caring for his invalid son, and he carries that with him to the clubhouse. Bobby V. was a pompous ego maniac, who managed to ruffle the feathers of Mike Aviles, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis in the first week of ST. Carl Crawford wouldn't even take his calls in the off season. Valentine is confrontational by nature, he financed a documentary critical of MLB operations in the DR, called out star players before he knew them, and signed a radio deal with a NYC station...it's ALL about Bobby. What a breath of fresh air Farrell is.

Calling Valentine confrontational is giving him way too much credit IMO. When did he actually confront a player? I can't think of a single instance, except maybe Aviles. No; Bobby's style was to stab the players in the back when they weren't around to defend themselves. Which is why I give Aceves a pass on showing up little Bobby V. Calling Bobby V confrontational is an insult to actual confrontational managers like Weaver, Dick Williams and Billy Martin. I would classify BV as passive aggressive rather than confrontational.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Ben Cherrington should be applauded as well for lobbying for Farrell last year and now getting his man this year. Also, for bringing in all the right players that this team needed. Even though some, if not most of them were questioned by a good part of RSN, so far its looking like they were the right choices. The Ownership group, along with LL, tried to play GM and it blew up in their faces. They left BC alone this time and let him make the decisions to reconstruct this team. Farrell was the perfect choice.

Daniel Nava is a great story, and Its good to see a guy like him succeeding in MLB. If Valentine was brought back, this team would have quit on him and not been inspired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Calling Valentine confrontational is giving him way too much credit IMO. When did he actually confront a player? I can't think of a single instance, except maybe Aviles. No; Bobby's style was to stab the players in the back when they weren't around to defend themselves. Which is why I give Aceves a pass on showing up little Bobby V. Calling Bobby V confrontational is an insult to actual confrontational managers like Weaver, Dick Williams and Billy Martin. I would classify BV as passive aggressive rather than confrontational.

Exactly.

When called on any of his remarks, he always gave a "Who? Me?" type of reply.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Exactly.

He was the king of back pedaling...He'd say something, then deny it or try to put another spin on it when confronted, like a typical coward...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I agree with the general point, but did you make this up?  It says in the globe article specifically that Nava didn't know he was in the lineup until the night before.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Exactly.

He was the king of back pedaling...He'd say something, then deny it or try to put another spin on it when confronted, like a typical coward...

Are we talking about Bobby V. or Softlaw??  I'm confused.......

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I agree with the general point, but did you make this up?  It says in the globe article specifically that Nava didn't know he was in the lineup until the night before.

did not make it up.. i only post things i've checked, rechecked and double checked.. boston.com deserves nothing LESS! I may have mistyped or misremembered on the the actual advanced time. could have been the night before. but he did talk about how great it was he had ANY advanced warning and about the way it was done. farrell feels its a priority, not an after thought. obviously u cant always b 2 nights in advance but i think any time prior to the game even if its at batting practice is better than finding out when the lineup is written in the clubhouse as it often was with val.

He was told on the flight back to Boston

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Exactly.

Yes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Exactly.

Yes.

Gotcha!!!  Thanks!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

"Passive agressive" describes him perfectly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Carnie the psychologist, this is right on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

did not make it up.. i only post things i've checked, rechecked and double checked.. boston.com deserves nothing LESS! I may have mistyped or misremembered on the the actual advanced time. could have been the night before. but he did talk about how great it was he had ANY advanced warning and about the way it was done. farrell feels its a priority, not an after thought. obviously u cant always b 2 nights in advance but i think any time prior to the game even if its at batting practice is better than finding out when the lineup is written in the clubhouse as it often was with val.

Sorry to doubt you.  Completely agree.  Advanced warning is especially important for a guy like Nava who could be in LF or 1B.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I had read where he said he appreciated being told the night before and how it helsp to be able to prepare mentally, but how did Valentine get involved in this....Nava didnt mention Valentine, even if it was the case of how Valentine handled letting players know......Nava owes alot to Valentine....he waas a no where on the depth charts last year and it was Valentine who saw something in him and kept him around and gave him a shot again.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

yikes.....its only been 7 games folks.  can we hold off on giving Farrell & Ben C the keys to the city until at least the AS break???!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Misremembered LOL. Is this Raajah in disguise?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In defense of Valentine, I don't think he always knew who the opposing pitcher was.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts