Nava looking good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Nava looking good

While Dustin was hitting a grand slam for the Red Sox, Daniel Nava was taking care of things for Pawtucket.  Nava hit a grand slam for the Pawsox tonight, the second homer since being back at McCoy Stadium.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Nava looking good

Unlike some here, I want Nava back here and playing soon.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

A guy that may need a visit to the  PawSox is WMB----he's down to .225 and we don't play in Toroto for a while.

His fielding has been fine but since he took out the contacts he hasn't been making contact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Who do you send out or trade if you bring back Nava?

It appears JF wants to see an outfield featuring Sizemore as he had two opportunities  to PH Gomes for Size and didn't.

Barring an injury Nava may be there a while.

Mujica must be out of options

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A guy that may need a visit to the  PawSox is WMB----he's down to .225 and we don't play in Toroto for a while.

His fielding has been fine but since he took out the contacts he hasn't been making contact.

[/QUOTE]

First, I like Nava and hopes he comes back soon.  Second, as far as Middy goes, there are a few more who aren't pulling there weight with the bat.  Especially if you go check the last 7 games stat on the sox  web,it emabarrassing what a few are hitting.

We need Middy at third.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sox4ever

I'm with you Moon. Given his struggles early on and the redundancy on the roster both Nava and the team might be better served to have him playing everyday in Pawtucket and getting his hacks in. as the old saying goes, these things have a away of working themselves out...Come June 1st the team should have a pretty idea of what they have and what they need..starting with Sizemore who's a better outfielder than both Nava and Carp..the question remains will he hit and can he stay healthy There's little need to call Nava up at this point...Baring injury I think it's inevitable that the sox will use the Pawtucket shuffle to maintain the current depth. Carp is the guy I see as the most expendable and someone that could add value in a trade...not sure about his options? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Who do you send out or trade if you bring back Nava?

It appears JF wants to see an outfield featuring Sizemore as he had two opportunities  to PH Gomes for Size and didn't.

Barring an injury Nava may be there a while.

Mujica must be out of options

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Youre wrong. Mujica has one more "option". I like to call it "DFA the ex-Cardinal".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Players who scare me in the outfield:

#1  Gomes, hands down.  He may be the scariest guy I've ever seen play on a regular basis in a ML OF.  Every fly ball is an adventure.  But to his credit, he usually makes the plays.  I'm certain his play is shortening my life. 

#2  Carp.  I'm not sure why it is but I have no confidence in his OF play.  Maybe it's because he's slow.  Maybe it's because he looks awkward out there.  Maybe it's because his arm is suspect. But I breathe a sigh of relief every time he makes a play.

#3 Nava.  If I were rating outfielders on a 1-100 basis with 100 being best I'd give Carp a 40... and Nava a 41.  Maybe it's because he just LOOKS a little more like a professional out there.  A little more athletic.  Or maybe it's because he looks just like the current HS baseball coach at the local HS.  Ya.  I know.  That last part is probably poor criteria to be judging someone by.  :-)

And I have complete confidence in the other three OF-ers, that they will get to the ball if it's humanly possible and make the play.

If someone has to go to make room I'd keep Nava and be shopping Carp around.   

I'll admit that JBJ has been a very pleasant surprise to me. I'm now a believer.  I saw JBJ get to two balls in last night's (5/2) game that I don't think Ells would have gotten to.  He made the play on one of them and got his glove on the other one - which is more than Ells would have been able to do (IMO).  And JBJ's arm is better. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]  As the famous G M  Lou Gorman once said, "WHERE ARE WE GOING TO PLAY HIM"  ????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nava's chance comes if they decide to let Carp go, or if we have an OF injury. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nava's chance comes if they decide to let Carp go, or if we have an OF injury. 

[/QUOTE]EXACTLY !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So they can bring up Holt? 

Come on man.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

WHY?Maybe Nava is playing well again and he's found a home .Wish him well and hope he sticks with Paw sox and they don't send him down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Players who scare me in the outfield:

#1  Gomes, hands down.  He may be the scariest guy I've ever seen play on a regular basis in a ML OF.  Every fly ball is an adventure.  But to his credit, he usually makes the plays.  I'm certain his play is shortening my life. 

#2  Carp.  I'm not sure why it is but I have no confidence in his OF play.  Maybe it's because he's slow.  Maybe it's because he looks awkward out there.  Maybe it's because his arm is suspect. But I breathe a sigh of relief every time he makes a play.

#3 Nava.  If I were rating outfielders on a 1-100 basis with 100 being best I'd give Carp a 40... and Nava a 41.  Maybe it's because he just LOOKS a little more like a professional out there.  A little more athletic.  Or maybe it's because he looks just like the current HS baseball coach at the local HS.  Ya.  I know.  That last part is probably poor criteria to be judging someone by.  :-)

And I have complete confidence in the other three OF-ers, that they will get to the ball if it's humanly possible and make the play.

If someone has to go to make room I'd keep Nava and be shopping Carp around.   

I'll admit that JBJ has been a very pleasant surprise to me. I'm now a believer.  I saw JBJ get to two balls in last night's (5/2) game that I don't think Ells would have gotten to.  He made the play on one of them and got his glove on the other one - which is more than Ells would have been able to do (IMO).  And JBJ's arm is better. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

[/QUOTE]

Carp at least is a better hitter than many give him credit for.   I think the Sizemore gamble has run its course. 

The best move at this point might be the Carp / Gomes LF platoon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nava was darn good last year.  Sizemore was even better five or more years ago. Carp or Nava also doubles as the backup firstbaseman.  Overall, a lot of variables in the outfield although the three best fielders are clearly Bradley, Victorino, and Sizemore.  What counts, however, is hitting.  That's why Nava dropped out and why Carp or Sizemore or even Bradley could drop out.  And then there are potential injuries.  I think the current situation is ideal for Sizemore, who is mostly being platooned in LF, to show what he can do after a long hiatus.  Bradley is playing every day, which is also good for what he needs.  Same for Victorino, who is playing most of the time.  Of the six outfielders--Sizemore, Bradley, Victorino, Gomes, Carp, and Nava (currently at AAA)--four hit from the left side and two, Gomes and Victorino, hit from the right.  Nava is lousy from the right side.  

Worth noting too is that by and large Farrell is staying with his four infielders--Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia, and Napoli.  Carp and Herrera have not started many games recently in the infield.  This means that if Farrell wants to platoon, he is basically going to do it in the outfield and at catcher.  Today the Athletics have Sonny Grey with his 1.76 ERA that holds up equally well against righties and lefties and improves--his ERA, that is--on the road, where it goes down to 0.56.  My prediction would therefore be:  Pedroia, Victorino, Ortiz, Napoli, Gomes, Bogaerts, Pierzynski, Bradley, Middlebrooks.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Carp at least is a better hitter than many give him credit for. I think the Sizemore gamble has run its course.

I'm pretty close to thinking the same thing, but the sample size is still rather small, especially for a guy who has not played much in a very long time. 

I'm not sure how much longer a competing team can afford experimenting like this. We already switched catchers and went with rookies at SS and CF. That's bold enough for a championship team to me.

The best move at this point might be the Carp / Gomes LF platoon.

Sounds okay, but I still think Nava is better than Carp vs RHPs and is probably a better fielder as well.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Nava and carp can play first but the problem is Napoli is playing first better than he did last year.  he also looks like "a day off" is not in his vocabulary. Tough decision to send nava down, but I am sure he is back in fenway before the all star break.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nava was darn good last year.  Sizemore was even better five or more years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Five years is a long time in MLB.

Five years ago, Tim Lincecum was a Cy Young winner and Jason Bay and Kevin Youkilis were top ten MVP candidates.    None of these players would help the Sox today.

Sizemore was a gamble.  And really he still is.  He has some skills, but if you want to say this outfield needs more offense, right now he is the guy to be upgraded over...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

We absolutely NEED Nava to get back on track!  

I have a feeling he will be needed in this OF at some point & time.  The kid can definitely hit, and the Sox desperately need some more hot bats to get this party started.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

With Carp, Nava , Wmb and the rest of that brotherhood, sox wont go far...4th place would be an accomplishment... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nava was darn good last year.  Sizemore was even better five or more years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Sizemore went 2-for-2 today. Hopefully he can keep this going.

Five years is a long time in MLB.

Five years ago, Tim Lincecum was a Cy Young winner and Jason Bay and Kevin Youkilis were top ten MVP candidates.    None of these players would help the Sox today.

Sizemore was a gamble.  And really he still is.  He has some skills, but if you want to say this outfield needs more offense, right now he is the guy to be upgraded over...

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nava had the game winning hit, today

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:[QUOTE] In response to moonslav59's comment: [QUOTE]

Sox4ever [/QUOTE]

With Carp, Nava , Wmb and the rest of that brotherhood, sox wont go far...4th place would be an accomplishment...  [/QUOTE]

We won last year with those guys in the "brotherhood".

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

NAVA HOO!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Nava will be back.  He was really pretty great last year, OBP-wise.  Rather have Nava than Carp.  Not ready to throw the towel in on Sizemore yet.  He had a hot spring training, started out well, slumped, and now is showing signs of coming out of that slump.  He might be good yet. 

Sections
Shortcuts