Nava: Very little love, respect, or recognition for an absolutely stunning All-Star 1/4 season start?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Nava: Very little love, respect, or recognition for an absolutely stunning All-Star 1/4 season start?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Nava's v LP numbers are weak....

When I was arguing with softy about not sending Papi down to AAA and then sitting him vs LHPs, he told me it was not about Papi's numbers vs LHPs, it was his numbers when a LH'd pitcher started. Well, here are such career numbers for Nava:

vs LH Starers  .820 (Including 1.189 this year)

vs RH Starter  .750 (Including .817 this year)

Cue: goalpost movement

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Nava: Very little love, respect, or recognition for an absolutely stunning All-Star 1/4 season start?

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Id give him a write in for the AS game, but that would obviously be a homer pick. For a corner OF'er he needs to get that OPS above/around 800 vs LHP, IMO. Thats not to take anything at all away from him, as hes looked fantastic this year and has worked his azz off to improve his game. Plus, hes a likable kid.

South, was it you who suggested an eventual movie about Nava?  If such a movie ever came out, it would have to be one of the greatest motivational flicks of all time.  Was it 'The Rookie' another one about a relief pitcher who was a high school coach who made it with the then Devil Rays?  It was a good movie, but Nava's ladder to success would have that one beat by a mile.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He has been very impressive so far this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Id give him a write in for the AS game, but that would obviously be a homer pick. For a corner OF'er he needs to get that OPS above/around 800 vs LHP, IMO. Thats not to take anything at all away from him, as hes looked fantastic this year and has worked his azz off to improve his game. Plus, hes a likable kid.

South, was it you who suggested an eventual movie about Nava?  If such a movie ever came out, it would have to be one of the greatest motivational flicks of all time.  Was it 'The Rookie' another one about a relief pitcher who was a high school coach who made it with the then Devil Rays?  It was a good movie, but Nava's ladder to success would have that one beat by a mile.

Yeah I did, I think so far his story is great. Not done yet. Id like him to add an AS appearence and a WS title to his resume. He'll be 30 this year so he has plenty of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Last I checked, Nava was 24th in MLB in OPS at .900. He may have gone down today after a terrible 2 for 4 night with only singles.

Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Nava's v LP numbers are weak. He's also a weak defender. He's a prefect platoon guy v RP. Nothing "stunning All-Star" about his firs quarter. In the proper role, he's good.

I take it you would prefer Gomes over Nava?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Am gradually getting to point where might suggest playing Nava full time, on road , in right. Ellsbury and Shane platoon in cf, and Carp & Gomes split left.

In Fenway different story , but Nava has diligently improved his defense and is no butcher in right at home.

Until Ellsbury starts hitting, the dropoff in defense might be ameliorated by increased offense. Perhaps our mathematicians or statistically-inclined posters have numbers or this ?

Although Victorino's splts / numbers so far this year are uncharacteristic to support the suggested platoon.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

PER AT BAT......

Nava is  without a doubt one of the top 3 most productive offensive players with the Red Sox or ANY TEAM in MLB.

He's an average OF'r

This kid just keeps performing.........   :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I can see Nava getting some All Star thoughts if he can have an equally good second quarter of the year.  

If he has 12-14 HRs and 60+ RBIs with a .280-.290 BA and the same OBP  as he has now at the half way mark why shouldn't he get some recognition?  With such numbers he will be the Red Sox most productive outfielder at that time and possibly their 3rd or 4th most important hitter as well.

He certainly is not a weak link in the outfield and runs the bases pretty well although not a base stealing type threat.

For his 2013 salary, I cannot imagine anyone thinking that he has not been a major contributor to this year's team off what he has done so far.  There is a lot to be said about him being the most valuable outfielder on the team so far even though he makes peanuts for a salary.   We would all be singing Ellsbury's praises if he had Nava's current stats (ouside of stolen bases) and talking about him signing a five year deal for a gazillion dollars as a free agent next winter.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava had a .917 OPS after 42 games played last year.

By game 52 he was at .805

By game 62 he was at .777

By game 72 he was at .740

82 at .731.

I'm not quite sure he's legit until the sample size grows, but he sure has looked great so far...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When I was arguing with softy about not sending Papi down to AAA and then sitting him vs LHPs, he told me it was not about Papi's numbers vs LHPs, it was his numbers when a LH'd pitcher started. Well, here are such career numbers for Nava:

vs LH Starers .820 (Including 1.189 this year)

vs RH Starter .750 (Including .817 this year)

Nice try, stooge, let's make sure your moving goalposts is "v. all LH pitchers", and make sure you don't get the two backwards. Nava is a terrible defender. If they decide he's the 140 plus games per year starter, they will be making a mistake.

Stooge, I never said to "sit Ortiz v. LP". The dicussuion we had was about you saying he needed to be released, in the wake of Buster Olney saying a meeting was going to take place to discuss whether to realease Ortiz or not. I said that I expected him to be fine and turn it around, but if he didn't do so by the middle of June, they should do an injury minor league rehab.

I've noted you are running hard for this "stunning All-Star 1/4 season for Nava".

I meant to say when you wanted Papi sent to AAA and then later argued aginst my position of platooning Papi. My bad.

The point remains the same: you said the numbers vs LHPs is not important, but what is important are the numbers a player ends up when going against a LH starter. Now the goalpost are moved.

We never had a discussion about releasing Papi, because I never even came close to wanting him released. You invented that strawman over a year after a couple guys here went along with that idea. It wasn't me. I called you on it then. I called you out to find the quote. I found your quotes about sending Papi to AAA. You denied them. You lie and lie, and don't even flinch. It's a habit for you. It is natural. 

Nava is not a terrible defender. Your blind spot is that you make an opinion and never allow for any player development or improvement, as if when a player improves, it makes your intial position wrong. It doesn't, but you are dead wrong now and have been for years now on so many issues, you have to resort to lies to try and cover up the pitiful streak.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

82 at .731.

I'm not quite sure he's legit until the sample size grows, but he sure has looked great so far...

He had a wrist injury last year and tried to play through it...it would be great to see him keep up the production he has done so far.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

vs LH Starers .820 (Including 1.189 this year)

vs RH Starter .750 (Including .817 this year)

Nice try, stooge, let's make sure your moving goalposts is "v. all LH pitchers", and make sure you don't get the two backwards. Nava is a terrible defender. If they decide he's the 140 plus games per year starter, they will be making a mistake.

Stooge, I never said to "sit Ortiz v. LP". The dicussuion we had was about you saying he needed to be released, in the wake of Buster Olney saying a meeting was going to take place to discuss whether to realease Ortiz or not. I said that I expected him to be fine and turn it around, but if he didn't do so by the middle of June, they should do an injury minor league rehab.

I've noted you are running hard for this "stunning All-Star 1/4 season for Nava".

Wrong!!!!  Untrue.......

You absolutely did say they should sit Papi vs. LHP!!!!

Did we ALL "MIS-READ" you?????

I don't think so!  In fact, I KNOW WE DIDN'T.

We get it...  you hate being wrong.  Stiffy is like kids from the current generation..... You know, the generation he loathes so....

You can't tell any of them they are wrong.....  Watch the movie Parental Guidance, with Billy Crystal & Bette Midler.  In the middle of it right now....  You're not supposed to tell kids like Stiffy "THEY'RE WRONG!  THEY LIED!  THEY WOULD SUCK AS A GM."  We're all supposed to say.....  "You're right.  You win a trophy too.  You're the best little man."  Keep wiping your kids arrsses folks, & they'll all turn out like Stiffy.  Little Narc.i.ssists, who can't really do anything on their own.

;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

82 at .731.

He had a wrist injury last year and tried to play through it...it would be great to see him keep up the production he has done so far.

Wrist injuries are no walk in the park and to have one is to almost guarantee that your hitting will be impaired.  In Nava's case, he seems to have found himself, and is it just me, or do others notice that we seem to play and do better when he is in the lineup.  The guy is hitting in the 290's and has shown surprising power to boot.  As for this stuff that he is not a good defensive outfielder, my take is that he is not a super whiz out there but good enough, and he is always playing hard.  I want to see him in the lineup as often as possible.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know projections are meaningless but to give you an idea of what Nava has done so far this season he has a 162 game projection of over 26 home runs and 118 RBI's and He's batting .298 with a .392 OBP.  Now I now the report on Nava is that he is an overacheiver ( and I mean that as a compliment ) and a up/down to aaa kinda guy.  But I still think he is a talented ball player who is capable of a career season. 

At the very least Daniel Nava has shown that he deserved one of those last roster spots and he can contribute.  I really do hope he keeps it up, cause his story is just awesome. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure "overachiever" is a good description of Nava. Yes, he slipped through the cracks, but once he made it to prefessional ball, he has achieved very well and consistently for many years. It should not be a big surprise that he is doing well here and now.

Sections
Shortcuts