NAVA: When does he get his due?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

NAVA: When does he get his due?

I've been a long time Nava backer, but I must admit to being blinded by the JBJ lights.  Now that that spotlight has died down, when do we give Nava his due?

The kid consistently contributes in big ways, both offensively and defensively.  I would love to see the Sox stick with Nava in LF when Papi comes back.  Gomes can platoon with Papi, as the big guy will no doubt need plenty of "rests."

I'm not arguing that Nava is a long term solution, but I think he would be a great compliment to an already excellent OF.  Ells, Vic, & Nava make a pretty potent threesome on both O & D.

You gotta love his grit!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: NAVA: When does he get his due?

There is certainly a great case to be made that is, or will be, a very good starting OF for some team in the near future.  He is most certainly ONE HELL OF a number 4 backup!!!

As for Gomes????   Carp is certainly making a case to platoon with Papi?  The guy has some POP!  I'm sure it will most often be Gomes, so I hope to hell he gets it rolling.  Good guy!  I hope it comes together for him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have also rooted for the underdog Nava since hearing about his being bought from the California Independant league and hearing his story of not getting a shot but never giving up. i also wonder what they will do with Mike Carp after last nights little hitting display 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and a triple! Tonight he in a pinch hitting role had another clutch hit with a rocket single to right scoring Napoli from second...This has all the makings of a magical season!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

between Lf and DH there is plenty of space to get consistent playing time for Nava, Carp, Gomes AND Papi.

i wouldn't worry about it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I've been a long time Nava backer, but I must admit to being blinded by the JBJ lights.  Now that that spotlight has died down, when do we give Nava his due?

The kid consistently contributes in big ways, both offensively and defensively.  I would love to see the Sox stick with Nava in LF when Papi comes back.  Gomes can platoon with Papi, as the big guy will no doubt need plenty of "rests."

I'm not arguing that Nava is a long term solution, but I think he would be a great compliment to an already excellent OF.  Ells, Vic, & Nava make a pretty potent three some on both O & D.

You gotta love his grit!

I think he gets his due when he stops being so streaky. He has started like this twice before. With that said he is a great guy to have on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On a team that is struggling with a low OBP (.333), it's hard to ignore Nava's career .372 OBP vs RHPs. His .319 vs LHPs is troublesome, but so far this year he's been on base 5 of 9 times vs lefties.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I'm not arguing that Nava is a long term solution, but I think he would be a great compliment to an already excellent OF.  Ells, Vic, & Nava make a pretty potent three some on both O & D.

You gotta love his grit!

I have pushing for Nava for a Long Time....between being the Left Fielder, against Righties, possibly some first to spell Napoli, and maybe an occasionaly game playing DH to spot Papi.....he will get plenty of AB's....he may not be a .300 hitter but his sample his big enough to know versus RHP, he is going to get On base at a great clip and he will always make the opposing pitcher work. Also his defense as improved dramatically and his arm and accuracy with his throws his way better than people give him credit for.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Softy would rather Nava be optioned over Bradley. Nava has really earned the LF job.I was down on him in the spring but I have come around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

When he does it for a full season, same goes for Salty; when they do that, millions of believers!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

When he does it for a full season, same goes for Salty; when they do that, millions of believers!

Well, he's got about a .360 OBP in about 550 career ML PAs. How many more PAs does he need to convince you he's good at getting on base, especially vs RHPs (.372 in 411 PAs)?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We are sending down JBJ.  That's Nava getting his due.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

His due should be after he has played at least 2 full seasons of MLB. In a bench role, he is a reasonable option.

He kind of has.  He has something like 500 MLB at-bats.  That's pretty much two full seasons of   part time play.

We know who he is.  Mediocre (but now versatile) defender.  High OBP.  .750 OPS.  Great for a bench guy (while he's cheap).  Capable of getting very hot at the plate.

He is what he is.  A quality backup who is capable of getting very hot.  Right now , he's hot. When he cools, he should be sent down to Pawtucket and JBJ should be called back up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

With both those guys, they get off like all stars, but as the season drags on they become pretty average at best, yet both sometimes seem on the verge of transforming themselves into a higher register.  Hasn't happened yet, but very well could.  Like both of them, but consider them average ballplayers, not quite full-time, not quite platoon, and it may very well be that that is plenty good enough; after all, not every one can be an all-star.  They both bring plenty of positive intangibles which makes them better than average for me and for the Sox so far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The good thing for Nava is that the Rex Sox aren't the only team that sees him play.  Don't think for one moment that other GM's don't notice his contribution and resolve.

If/when he bcomes a free agent, I sincerly hope it's not our loss.

Yet, if more financial benefit or playing time becomes available to him from another team, would you blame him for taking advantage?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Can't blame him at all if he bolts on the promise of becoming a full time player; he's making himself indispensable with his continued improvement and attention to detail in all areas of the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He'd never get a chance to "do it for a full season" if you and softy had your way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Nava is building value. He has always been able to hit and get on base. Nice attributes for a 4th OF. And he may even be a starter for a lot of teams. I'd still like a bopper in Fenway's LF but he's cheap and a great story. I'd still trade him in the right deal though and that would probably only help him. He is in his prime. I wish him nothing but the best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

NAVA is DA MAN!!!  Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He'd never get a chance to "do it for a full season" if you and softy had your way.

Huh?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Huh?

Pretty clear.

They say he hasn't proved it, or he should remain a back-up, but then sayhe has to "prove it over a full season". Kinda hard to do, if you force him to stay as a reserve, right?

Plus, he already has over 500 PAs at the MLB level. Not proof he can keep it up, but certainly more than a handfull or two of ST games that softy was using to justify handing FT jobs to other players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Can't say for Softy, don't always read his posts, there's so many of them and a lot of those are over-the-top and outrageous and intended to bring reactions and attention.  Certainly not up to me to promote Nava to full-time status, only know he's been a part time player who, up till now, has hit far better from one side of the plate than the other.  He's been a role player, a stop-gap, a fill-in, heretofore.  However, he seems to be gaining the confidence of the manager who has been playing him every day lately, and with Bradley struggling and then sent down.  So, it appears he's getting that chance to play FT, at least for the time being.  I'm a Nava fan and admirer.  If he keeps doing what he's been doing, he'll be getting the chance to prove he deserves to be a full-time player, and I'll be pulling for him to prove it.  Gets on base well, has become a good fielder, hits doubles, does many of the important little things very well, but he's also been a .240 hitter with little hr power, even with most of his at-bats coming against righties which plays to his strengths.  If he stays there, at .240 with little hr power, I don't know if that'll be enough for them to keep as a full-time player, unless they decide the little things he does and his versatility warrant 500 plus plate appearances over the course of a season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Can't say for Softy, don't always read his posts, there's so many of them and a lot of those are over-the-top and outrageous and intended to bring reactions and attention.  Certainly not up to me to promote Nava to full-time status, only know he's been a part time player who, up till now, has hit far better from one side of the plate than the other.  He's been a role player, a stop-gap, a fill-in, heretofore.  However, he seems to be gaining the confidence of the manager who has been playing him every day lately, and with Bradley struggling and then sent down.  So, it appears he's getting that chance to play FT, at least for the time being.  I'm a Nava fan and admirer.  If he keeps doing what he's been doing, he'll be getting the chance to prove he deserves to be a full-time player, and I'll be pulling for him to prove it.  Gets on base well, has become a good fielder, hits doubles, does many of the important little things very well, but he's also been a .240 hitter with little hr power, even with most of his at-bats coming against righties which plays to his strengths.  If he stays there, at .240 with little hr power, I don't know if that'll be enough for them to keep as a full-time player, unless they decide the little things he does and his versatility warrant 500 plus plate appearances over the course of a season.

Fair enough.

Linking anyone to softy is an insult. Please accept my apologies.

I'm not sure Nava will remain a FT player, especially when Papi returns and squeezes Nava and Gomes into one spot: LF. Gomes kills lefties, so even if Nava has improved greatly vs lefties, it is doubtful he can ever end up as good as Gomes in that area.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Well, as I've learned from your stat posts on the two of them, together they could very well make one helleva left fielder (on offense at least).

Sections
Shortcuts