NAVA: When does he get his due?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: NAVA: When does he get his due?

"We know who he is.  Mediocre (but now versatile) defender.  High OBP.  .750 OPS.  Great for a bench guy (while he's cheap).  Capable of getting very hot at the plate.

He is what he is.  A quality backup who is capable of getting very hot.  Right now , he's hot. When he cools, he should be sent down to Pawtucket and JBJ should be called back up."

+1, with this caveat: Drewski, I am not used to seeing such reasonable, informed, well thought opinions in here. Frankly it's a little disorienting, maybe you can work in some name calling or some political vitriol next time...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I've been a long time Nava backer, but I must admit to being blinded by the JBJ lights.  Now that that spotlight has died down, when do we give Nava his due?

The kid consistently contributes in big ways, both offensively and defensively.  I would love to see the Sox stick with Nava in LF when Papi comes back.  Gomes can platoon with Papi, as the big guy will no doubt need plenty of "rests."

I'm not arguing that Nava is a long term solution, but I think he would be a great compliment to an already excellent OF.  Ells, Vic, & Nava make a pretty potent three some on both O & D.

You gotta love his grit!

Great that he has had a fast start, but this is not the first time that has happened. Like the rest of the players, it will take some time to be able to assess their performance. I am thinking July.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"We know who he is.  Mediocre (but now versatile) defender.  High OBP.  .750 OPS.  Great for a bench guy (while he's cheap).  Capable of getting very hot at the plate.

He is what he is.  A quality backup who is capable of getting very hot.  Right now , he's hot. When he cools, he should be sent down to Pawtucket and JBJ should be called back up."

+1, with this caveat: Drewski, I am not used to seeing such reasonable, informed, well thought opinions in here. Frankly it's a little disorienting, maybe you can work in some name calling or some political vitriol next time...

A plus outfielder with an OPS of .750, doing so on a stop gap basis, is well beyond a "quality backup."  We are paying mr. Drew some $10 million / year, as an average SS. 

Like with Reddick, who may not look as good right now, we may never know.

Wake up!  BIG SAMPLE numbers don't lie.  The kid may be a bit "streaky" as a stop gap player, but he's never been given the chance to prove he can do it on a full time basis.  THIS KID is GOING TO BE a very good OF'r for some team, some time soon!

The Stiffy's of this board will continue to chase after the "big pop," BIG CONTRACT ($17+ million per year, 6+ yr contract) OF'r, who is bound to disappoint, and break the bank.......  Will they ever learn?  This is what got us into the situation we found ourselves in last year, where we had to start giving players away & paying teams to take our "under-water" LONG term contracts.

Time to wake up folks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

36 ABs this season.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

36 ABs this season.

How many total mlb at bats?   500+

Sometimes streaky, but DAMN GOOD STATS!  With pop!

Trust me...  I'm not just talking about the Nava of this early season!  The kid can flat out play!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hasn't he already?  You'd have to have a heart of stone not to love his back story, but 90% of his MLB PAs have been at a high OBP as part of a pedestrian OPS without much of a glove, arm or legs.  His most recent 10% of PAs have been at a HOF-level OPS.....46 PAs.

He earned his place on the roster, is holding it so far, and who doesn't root for him to keep it.

What more do you think he's due?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

36 ABs this season.

Trust me...  I'm not just talking about the Nava of this early season!  The kid can flat out play!

Some of us trusted Nava as our platoon LF'er vs RHPs (softy calls these guys FT as with David Murphy) before ST even started.

He has always been an OBP guy overall, but much better vs RHPs.

It's not like this is that big of a fluke.  He had a .427 OBP in A, .479 in AA, and .379 in AAA for a total of .415 in 1934 PAs in the minors.

As I said before the season started, a LF platoon of Nava and Gomes could end up with our best overall OBP on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

36 ABs this season.

He has a career .755 OPS.

Most of that is against righties.

Projected over 600 ABs, he have 13 HRs and a .250.  He has a lot of walks, but there could come a time when pitchers are going to pitch to him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

36 ABs this season.

Some of us trusted Nava as our platoon LF'er vs RHPs (softy calls these guys FT as with David Murphy) before ST even started.

It's not like this is that big of a fluke.  He had a .427 OBP in A, .479 in AA, and .379 in AAA for a total of .415 in 1934 PAs in the minors.

As I said before the season started, a LF platoon of Nava and Gomes could end up with our best overall OBP on the team.

I'm all-in with the platoon, but so far, he isn't more than that.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

When you play defense like Nava and Gomes, "overall OBP" doesn't cut it for LF.

You were the stooge who talked about dealing Bailey for Murphy, and called him FT. 

Moonshwemp, Just think Prado and Justin Upon, when you think of LF.  

Your absurdities have reached new levels. You were the one who called Murphy a FT'er not me.

You know I was a big supporter of getting Upton, but totally disagreed with your clownish suggested offer. My offer was more realsitic, but probably still not enough to get him.

I also wanted JBJ in CF, but you said he was better in LF, now recently I see you are saying he should be in CF. 

You pumped up JBJ's offense based on a ST sample size. On and on you went about he is ready for MLB pitching. Now, anytime anyone brings up his struggles, you go off on Drew. 

You are a joke and a clown.

A likely .385+ OBP with a Nava/Gomes platoon makes up for a lot of defense at a position that is not as important as others, especially with a big wall sheltering not so great fielding.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

36 ABs this season.

I'm all-in with the platoon, but so far, he isn't more than that.

Being the platoon player facing RH's starters should net him close to 500 PAs. He hit LHPs pretty well in the minors, so maybe he can prove he can do it FT, but with a healthy Gomes, Papi and SV, I don't see him getting that chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

You were the stooge who talked about dealing Bailey for Murphy, and called him FT. 

Stiffy lumping Nava's fielding with Gomes' fielding is absurd at best.  Nava plays a very decent LF.  I'm quite certain the stiff one's knowledge comes exclusively from reading box scores and a few random baseball articles.

What a Stiff!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Hasn't he already?  You'd have to have a heart of stone not to love his back story, but 90% of his MLB PAs have been at a high OBP as part of a pedestrian OPS without much of a glove, arm or legs.  His most recent 10% of PAs have been at a HOF-level OPS.....46 PAs.

He earned his place on the roster, is holding it so far, and who doesn't root for him to keep it.

What more do you think he's due?

A little respect and acknowledgement from some of the diminutive play gm's on this board. 

Ultimately, I'd love to see the Sox give him a real long term shot!  He reminds me of a mini-Trot.  I think the kid has the goods to stay where he's at for the year.  Spell him with Gomes, but give him the majority of the playing time in LF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stiffy lumping Nava's fielding with Gomes' fielding is absurd at best.  Nava plays a very decent LF.  I'm quite certain the stiff one's knowledge comes exclusively from reading box scores and a few random baseball articles.

What a Stiff!

He once claimed he didn't watch nor need to watch the games to know what knows. 

Instead he relies on such sure fire methodologies as:

1) What college did the player attend (better yet, he didn't get indoctrinated at all).

2) How he did in ST or other suitable tiny sample sizes.

3) He played near softy's back woods home and he say him play.

4) He was or wasn't gift wrapped a FT job or super-hyped by the media.

5) Does the player play loud rap music in his care or not.

6) Does he "look like" a real good player or not.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You were the one who called Murphy a FT'er not me.

Wrong, I said Murphy was FT out of circumstance, and you foolishly pretended TX would make a trade for what amounted to a pipe dream.

You can't even remember back a few weeks.

You know I was a big supporter of getting Upton, but totally disagreed with your clownish suggested offer. My offer was more realsitic, but probably still not enough to get him.

Your stooge "suggested offer" was changed so often it was comical, once including Doubratn, with not one of them being realistic. My offer was to covert Ellsbury and the draft pick as trade currency and include up to 2 or 3 prospects of anyone on the farm except for Barnes Bradley and Bogearts, and only include Bogaerts if there was a better offer and there was not a better offer. You kept aping "the DBCACks don't want Ellsbury, despite the fact that Ellsbury and the draft pick was fluid trade currenccy that could have netted a bum like Prado.  

I'd have said yes to your trade offer in a second if I was Ben, but the fact is AZ would have laughed at your offer. Yes, I did mention several different offers I'd have made, which is hardly any different than your Ellsbury plus anyone but Bradley drivel, which you later recanted the fact that Bogaerts was one player you'd have included.

I also wanted JBJ in CF, but you said he was better in LF, now recently I see you are saying he should be in CF.

In fact, I stated to deal Ellsbury and put Bradley in CF. When that didn't happen, All all along, I said Bradley was the best option for LF, since management wasn't going to move prima Donna Ellsbury. 

You argued against my statement that JBJ should be in CF, and Ells in LF. Now, you flip and pretend you never said what you said.

You pumped up JBJ's offense based on a ST sample size. On and on you went about he is ready for MLB pitching. Now, anytime anyone brings up his struggles, you go off on Drew

A likely .385+ OBP with a Nava/Gomes platoon makes up for a lot of defense at a position that is not as important as others, especially with a big wall sheltering not so great fielding.

No, stooge, LF is a slugging position for profiles like Nava and Gomes and half the games aren't played in Fenway. And good OF defense is quite relevant in Fenway, where a lot more balls are going to driven by the slow footed Nava and Gomes. Bradley after 100 games tops these two old back bench profiiles.

LF is often a place MLb teams hide poor or average fielders. Fenway Park offers a unique opportunity to get away with less than great fielding for half a season's games, thereby minimizing the negative effect like no other park.

You, yourself, used the argument that Crawford's defensive skillset was wasted in Fenway, but now JBJ's defensive skillset is suddenly and urgently important.

You are a clown through and through

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

How pathetic is it to spend so much time obsessing on a team you don't LOVE or even watch?

This is how Webster's defines "loser."

Seriously!  What a waste of a life???  Well.....  Perhaps not, as he gives real Red Sox fans easy laughs!  :)   You're familiar with the useful idiot?  Look in the mirror stiffy :)

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava is currently at .435 in 46 PAs this year. It's a small sample size, but...

Nava also had a .438 OBP in 52 ST PAs.

.352 OBP in 2012 MLB (317 PAs)

.425 OBP in 2012 AAA (120 PAs)

.351 OBP in 2011 MLB (188 PAs)

.372 OBP in 2011 AAA (522 PAs)

.372 OBP in 2010 AAA (325 PAs)

.479 OBP in 2009 AA (144 PAs)

.434 OBP in 2009 A+ (130 PAs)

.424 OBP in 2008 A+ (379 PAs)

.475 OBP in 2007 IND (314 PAs)

There's a pretty long record of an OBP skill here.

Worried about Nava's OBP vs LHPs?

OBP vs LHPs only...

2012 AAA .429

2011 AAA .374

2010 AAA .344

2009  AA  .476/ A+ .475

Maybe this guy can do it FT... just maybe!

Like I said though, it will be hard to displace Gomes vs LHPs:

Gomes OBP vs LHPs in....

2012  .413

2011  .407

2010  .479

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

which you later recanted the fact that Bogaerts was one player you'd have included.

I don't recant, stooge. I said to include Bogaerst, only if the trade offers were better than the currency of Ellsbury and his draft compensation and any 3 prospects from the farm except Bradley, Barnes and Bogearts.

The rest of your comments are prevarication and your standard imbedded shill routine.

AZ would demand at least Bogaerts, so he would be part of your offer. Fine with me, but just own up to it and stop clowning around with lies and diversions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

which you later recanted the fact that Bogaerts was one player you'd have included.

I don't recant, stooge. I said to include Bogaerst, only if the trade offers were better than the currency of Ellsbury and his draft compensation and any 3 prospects from the farm except Bradley, Barnes and Bogearts.

The rest of your comments are prevarication and your standard imbedded shill routine.

More "He (moon) said, she said."

"nuh ah!  Uh ha!  Nuh ah!  Uh ha!  I said it first!  No!  I did!  Nuh uh!  Yeh huh!"

You seriously need a life stiffy!

GIRL FIGHT!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The fact remains: softy hates any player that interferes with the guy he wanted at said position.

He wants Iggy: Drew stinks and is a "butcher".

He wants JBJ: Gomes and Nava stink and are butchers.

He wanted Ramon "the human statue" Hernandez at C: Salty stinks.

He wanted Crisp: Ellsbury stinks.

He wanted a fielding SS: Lowrie stinks.

He wanted Weiland and an injured Doubront: Wake stinks.

And on and on....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And even when softy does get what he wants in a particular situation, he just moves on to his next target for attack.  When all else fails, he pulls out Wakefield.  He's just a miserable man, and this 11-4 start is sending him around the bend.