NAVA: When does he get his due?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: NAVA: When does he get his due?

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I didn't know that the Sox were hiding Yaz all those years in LeftField. Just because there is a wall there, doesn't mean you can put any Shmu ck out there.

True but ouside of Yaz, the Sox have historically ignored left field defense in favor or offense.

Manny did have his moments (that high 5 DP in Baltimore), but also had his wrecklessness (Like, say, cutting off Crisps' throw from CF) and overall falls into the LF Butcher Class with Rice and Greenwell...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I didn't know that the Sox were hiding Yaz all those years in LeftField. Just because there is a wall there, doesn't mean you can put any Shmu ck out there.

I didn't say that, but Nava is not a "smuck" on defense. Gomes, yes, but Nava no.

My point is that a .385 to .410 OBP from the LF position would outweigh the defensive shortcomings in LF (particularly in Fenway). Another factor concerning Fenway's LF is experience. While JBJ is certainly much better defensively than Gomes and Nava, Nava may know how to play the wall a little better, at least until JBJ gets more time out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

YOU gotta LOVE this kid!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

YOU gotta LOVE this kid!!!!

Oh man!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Full time LF'r !  Give the kid the FT job!!!!   He's more than earned it!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Nava has always been streaky.  Really streaky. I hope he can keep it up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

this "kid" is 32

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I mean 30

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

250 career average and 11 homers in around 470 at bats.  he does always have a good OBP though, he is a great guy to have on the team but i think platooning him with Gomes makes more sense then giving him the job outright.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

this "kid" is 32

Yep!  Still a kid to me  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

And even when softy does get what he wants in a particular situation, he just moves on to his next target for attack.  When all else fails, he pulls out Wakefield.  He's just a miserable man, and this 11-4 start is sending him around the bend.

This is exactly the reason I've put Softy and Idiots2004 on my ignore list. I'm tired of reading his babble and refuse to try and reason with someone who is either a moron or just gets off on getting everyone else riled by writing his idiotic points of view and of late adding politics into the mix. 

Hetch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Nava has always been streaky.  Really streaky. I hope he can keep it up.

He has not been "streaky" in the minors that I know of, and besides, with an OBP like that, if he has poor stretches, he must have some off-the-charts hot streaks to end up where he ends up.

In his 3 seasons in MLB, some small sample sizes with scattered games played, here's the low down by month:

2010:

.361 (61 PA)

.409 (44)

.214 (28)

.364 (55)

2012:

.424 (85)

.419 (87)

.257 (70)

.200 (5)

.222 (70)

2013:

.435  (46)

Let's hope he doesn't drop off like he did in 2010 and 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Time to go with Nava as the FT starting LF'r!  Stand and be counted.  I play this kid every day, LHP - RHP.....  He will step up & do the job no matter who is pitching!

Love this kid!  He's a dirtdog!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

His due should be after he has played at least 2 full seasons of MLB. In a bench role, he is a reasonable option.

He kind of has.  He has something like 500 MLB at-bats.  That's pretty much two full seasons of   part time play.

We know who he is.  Mediocre (but now versatile) defender.  High OBP.  .750 OPS.  Great for a bench guy (while he's cheap).  Capable of getting very hot at the plate.

He is what he is.  A quality backup who is capable of getting very hot.  Right now , he's hot. When he cools, he should be sent down to Pawtucket and JBJ should be called back up.

Wait a minute there, Drew.  It all depends how cold he gets and for how long, and whether Bradley succeeds at the plate in AAA and has overcome his weaknesses to the level at which he can.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sitting Gomes vs LHPs would be near criminal. He's a bad fielder but with a .910 OPS vs LHPs since 2011, he needs to play.

There are 235 MLB players with 200+ PAs vs LHPs since 2011. Gomes ranks #30. That's top 15% in MLB.

#12 Papi  .988

#22 Victorino  .939

#27 Pedroia  .924

#30 Gomes  .910

Only 10 MLB players have more PAs vs LHPs and a higher OPS than Gomes since 2011. Only 8 have a higher OBP and more PAs.

Sections
Shortcuts