Navarro 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Navarro 2

I do predict Navarro will be a stud.  I think he'll make us forget all about Iglesias, and settle in as the every day shortstop.  But for now, that's not where he is needed, and he is versatile enough to roam and actually improve our defense whenever he is inserted.

Boom, it's fine to think the kid is not for real, but the juicing charge is a bit ridiculous, and not supported by any stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Navarro's career minor league numbers

Yr   league   OBP/SLG/OPS
    '06    DSL     .344/.438/.782
    '07    Low A  .357/.409/.766
    '08  A/High A .359/.447/.806
    '09   HghA/AA .310/.392/.702
    '10   AA/AAA  .356/.437/.793
    '11     AAA     .362/.469/.831

Navarro has shown consistency every year in the minors.  His normal pattern is to start slow at each level, adjust, and then excel.  His glove is flashy, but he can boot the routine play occasionally.  His arm is plus.  His bat speed and power are above average but his plate discipline is unpolished.  The Sox and MLB scouts are intrigued by him as a valuable utility player who can hit for a .800 OPS. 

His body type has always been stocky . . .as far as steroids ...who knows?, but you have to say that about everybody nowadays, not just stocky guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Slomag took the plunge and predicted big things at SS for Navarro.  I won't go that far yet, but such an outcome would not be a surprise. It's obvious that the Sox want Iglesias to fill the position long term. He apparently has a magic glove. That will not buy a ticket to Boston if he does not begin at least to show that he is not an automatic out even in AAA.  Even if he picks it up somewhat this year, he has a long way to go at the plate. Some people say that he can be buried in a potent lineup just for defense, but that has not been the pattern in this organization. ( See Alex Gonzalez. )  IMO, Boston will try to get as much offense as possible from the 7, 8, and 9 batters. Salty is coming along. RF is wide open for a replacement.  Unless Theo makes a surprising deal, SS will probably be in play during ST.  Navarro should be in the mix. He's better right now than Scutaro and Lowrie on defense, and it isn't as if Iglesias is in another universe from him.  Talk about that kind of disparity is usually overblown in favor of the golden boy of the moment -- not just at SS -- throughout baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Navarro 2:
    [QUOTE]There is no such thing as a AAAA player. Wipe the drivel from you keyboard.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

It is a very common description for career minor league guys who get maybe 2-3 years of mlb level time. You should know that by now, given your self proclaimed omniscience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Expitch and others, my apoligies on this. I extended this discussion with you to be similar to one I had on another forum with others. I was rude and it was inappropriate. We disagree on Navarro's potential but I've been wrong before.

I also have researched the whole steroid issue in the DR way too much. I do suspect anyone from the DR for PEDs. If I were a dirt poor kid wanting to help his family and someone offered me a substance which could make me a millionaire I'd do it in a heartbeat. To get healthcare for my sister, a secure retirement for my parents...etc. I don't fault these kids but given the overall circumstance of the legality of PEDs in the DR, the easy access to expertize in that gym in Santo domingo with proven PED involvement ( which is still frequented by many of the top players in the DR ), and the tremendous incentive to use PEDs, I suspect everyone from the DR. The number of players with DR backgrounds with obvious PED involvement is way above normal. Arod, Papi, Manny...etc. Look at Hanley. He was a skinny, little power prospect for us and then we trade him and he immediately starts hitting 30 HR a year in the majors. No indication of PED use other than what seems to be an unnatural body transformation in a short period of time.

I shouldn't acuse Navarro, and didn't mean to specifically acuse Navarro, but I do suspect it. I can't help it. I need to learn not to do that but it is difficult to do given all the data regarding DR players. 

My apologies to the users on this thread though. We can agree to disagree on Navarro's likelihood as a prospect without me getting nasty about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Very classy Boom. Beyond any PED discussion, I never bought into the Kalish/IGGY hyperbole. I leaned more toward Reddick/Navarro simply because they are closer to ML readiness.

Kalish was exposed after the pitches found his weaknesses. He has to make the necessary adjustments.

IGGY has glaring holes at the plate. He isn't even close in that regard.
    Reddick has the tools and showed it two years ago. His talent level has allowed him to be more selective.

Navarro has put up good numbers at every level. He has earned his shot.
    I would have no problem seeing him replace Scut over the last two months of the season. Lowrie is a better bat, but Navarro has more range and a much better arm.
    A Lowrie/Navarro tandem makes sense to me.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here we go; another with a chip on his shoulder. I thought that was reserved for me. Did you ever think how all these chips may actually fall into your own ballooning baggage?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]No, Harness, read the comment from Boomerrang. It speaks for itself. And your comments speak for themselves. There isn't enough room in the world to contain the size of your chip.

Try reading UR own posts - anywhere - and act as if they were directed toward you.
    There isn't enough cyberspace or universe to hide from the abnormal social issues that plague you on a constant basis. 

Boom or I or any poster dare disagree with you and it's always the other individual. Never you. Never you. You are never wrong. You make no concessions in any discussion. It's always the other guy. It's society. It's 'big brother BDC'.
    Never you...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Softy would just gut it out and live on $30 a month for his entire family. No health care. No education. No chance for advancement. I'm sure he would just be Horatio Alger and lift himself up.

You see the difference between you and I Softy is that I'm honest about it. What if your sister needed healthcare ( my example cited )? You wouldn't do it to save your family? You wouldn't save your entire family from a life of abject poverty? 

You are so full of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Have you ever been dirt poor Softy? Have you ever searched the house and found your self going to the basement to eat the seed potatoes because there was nothing else in the house to eat? Have you ever worked in the fields 40 hours a week when you were 11? Racking blueberries. Shoveling out chicken barns. Bending over picking potatoes all day. You probably have no connection with what it's like. If you did, you wouldn't have the world view you have and the complete lack of compassion for others you exhibit here regularly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If Terry is true to form, he'll stick with the vets Scutaro and Lowrie as long as they are healthy.  If so, Navarro probably returns to Pawtucket when Lowrie comes off the DL.  That's for this year. 
    Next year is a new story. Scutaro will be gone. Iglesias will not be ready. In all likelihood, that will leave Lowrie and Navarro to vie for the SS job. It's hard to believe that Boston regards Lowrie as the long-term answer at the position, but he'll probably be at the top of the chart to begin ST.  Navarro will have his chance.  
    Right now, Lowrie has the more polished bat, but from all reports Navarro has the potential to be a better one. He's strong and has quick wrists. He hits the ball hard.  Like most batters his age, he's still working on the strike zone and on "his pitch," particularly on 2 and 0 and 3 and 1.  He is still learning to make the pitcher come to him and to stay back a little.  His record suggests that he's a steady learner. 
    There's no point in speculating about what will happen -- anything can between now and then, and in ST.  And  development is always unpredictable. But it's possible to make a guess on how things are likely to shape up.  Part of that guess is that Theo wants to "solve" the SS problem from within this time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Navarro 2 : A half-decent post until you got on UR Kemp fantasy kick.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

yeah, I was waiting for it too harness..he saved i til the end..Im just wondering what kind of value Jed has..if any right now for a deadline trade he suggested..or even off season for that matter....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Navarro 2 : Middlebrooks looks like 3B of the future.  He is absolutely killing it at Portland.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]

hes really turned the corner this year..really, starting last year..I think hes got a 2013 eta..maybe a CoC nezt year...just in time for Youks option year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]There is no such thing as a AAAA player. Wipe the drivel from you keyboard.

someone who actually knows the game would undersatand that this is a common term used to describe players like Dmac ,Nick green etc....fringe players, good enough to be full time AAA players , but not quite good enough for everyday MLB play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE] If I were a dirt poor kid wanting to help his family and someone offered me a substance which could make me a millionaire I'd do it in a heartbeat. To get healthcare for my sister, a secure retirement for my parents...etc. I don't fault these kids Since you don't fault "dirt poor" kids for breaking the law in search of money, you should practice what you preach. Donate all of your assets to the National Trust and work for the Peace Corps. Stop spending your time posting trite Trotsky class warfare rhetoric. What someone has or doesn't have has nothing to do with character or culpability. "Dirt poor" people can be very bad characters. If you were "dirt poor", you admit you would break the law for money. You are a bad character with a big chip on your shoulder.  
    Posted by billbyboy
    [/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Navarro 2 : yeah, I was waiting for it too harness..he saved i til the end..Im just wondering what kind of value Jed has..if any right now for a deadline trade he suggested..or even off season for that matter....
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    Right, Lowrie has little trade value at the moment. What value he might have in the offseason will depend upon his performance the remainder of this year. Whether he's offered in trade will depend upon how the club assesses the situation at SS.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]If Terry is true to form, he'll stick with the vets Scutaro and Lowrie as long as they are healthy.  If so, Navarro probably returns to Pawtucket when Lowrie comes off the DL.  That's for this year.  Next year is a new story. Scutaro will be gone. Iglesias will not be ready. In all likelihood, that will leave Lowrie and Navarro to vie for the SS job. It's hard to believe that Boston regards Lowrie as the long-term answer at the position, but he'll probably be at the top of the chart to begin ST.  Navarro will have his chance.   Right now, Lowrie has the more polished bat, but from all reports Navarro has the potential to be a better one. He's strong and has quick wrists. He hits the ball hard.  Like most batters his age, he's still working on the strike zone and on "his pitch," particularly on 2 and 0 and 3 and 1.  He is still learning to make the pitcher come to him and to stay back a little.  His record suggests that he's a steady learner.  There's no point in speculating about what will happen -- anything can between now and then, and in ST.  And  development is always unpredictable. But it's possible to make a guess on how things are likely to shape up.  Part of that guess is that Theo wants to "solve" the SS problem from within this time. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Nice assessment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Navarro 2 : yeah, I was waiting for it too harness..he saved i til the end..Im just wondering what kind of value Jed has..if any right now for a deadline trade he suggested..or even off season for that matter....
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

IMO, South, Lowrie's value is with Boston. He showed in April what he can do.
    Trading depth is not a good idea. A Lowrie platoon is not a bad bridge to the farm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]1. Trade Lowrie before the deadline if he comes off the DL, otherwise winter trade  2. expitch is right, if Ortiz seriously declines in 2nd half, DH Youk more in 2012 as that has more value. If that is the case, divide the 3rd base between Youk and Navvy backup 3rd and sign a veteran lefty 4th OF'er to a one or two year deal to split the DH time (Kubel would fit nicely and, if Ortiz seriously declines in 2nd half, would be much better value as the platoon DH/4th OF'er. Would likely take two years, but the use of a player opt out for the big first year works well with players in this phase of the career (see Beltre) Kubel is a high OBP and singles guy v. RHP, which is a good fit for a lefty platoon guy in Fenway. He is a terrible OF'er, but that's why he's a platoon player in the first place. If Ortiz goes south, much better roster value in not having a Vladdy type of DH and getting a guy that is young enough to at least play some split time field. If Ortiz finishes well, offer a one year deal for 5 to 8M with max CBA allowed incentives. If the Yankees offer a 2 year deal, match it with a career services deal of some kind.      3. Navvy is a terrific athlete who is raw and not polished on plate work but has a lot of bat speed. Hard to say where his hitting ceiling is, but he's more than adequate as a UIF"er and 5th corner OF'er for 2011 and 2012. 4. Iggy should be the 2012 SS plan, with Scutaro or other veteran signed to a cheap one year deal to be Iggy training wheels bridge transition.  The Red Sox need a star young slugging RH OF'er, more than any other position player. The Dodgers are floudering and now is the perfect time to try and acquire Kemp (3 team deal would most likely get it done if a 2 team deal doesn't match up) and officially make Crawford, Ellsbury's expensive replacement and Reddick or Kalish as Ellsbury's cheaper recapture value long term replacement.    

?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]There is nothing fantasy about the Padres soliciting offers for fire sell AGon, last winter. Harness, you don't know what you are talking about and are always in a fog. You guaranteed AGon would be with the Padres this spring. The Dodgers would likely agree to a two or three team deal for Kemp that sends Ellsbury to the Dodgers and the Dodgers getting quid pro quo out of one or two from Lowrie, Hassan, Middlebrooks Brenz plus Doubrant or Weiland, with the younger players being flipped to a 3rd team if the Dodgers want a slightly different profie in that player mix. Harness, don't ever pretend to know anything about player movement and value. Beyond a straw and drivel about CERA, your stabs on player movement are completely out to lunch. Theo isn't likely to make a blockbuster deal like this, as he reacts after the fact and has no clue about player value. I put him one level above you, only because he was smart enough to sign Beltre in 2010 and leave the door open to get AGon for 2011. I called that, every last bit of it. And the Ellsbury hysteria rebirth is as completely out to lunch on his ceiling as it was when he was hyped in 2007.  Theo has Crawford and Slackey to prove he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 

theFOOL has spoken!