Navarro 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Navarro 2

I'm not sure Navarro has the glove for shortstop or the power for third base. Still, he could get regular AB as a bench player, especially if he can spot-start in the outfield.

Youkilis needs to move to DH, in my opinion. His defense at third is weak this go-around and he is beating up his body something fierce. That said, it is hard to imagine Ortiz going anywhere while he is hitting like this.

Will Middlebrooks is surely the heir presumptive at 3B, but he is still a year away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

2 more HR and a double from Lavarnway today, single handedly securing a win today for Pawtucket. The guy keeps hitting. If anything, he seems to be getting better when he moves up a level.

I think he's for real guys. He might even be a factor before year end. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Navarro 2:
    [QUOTE]2 more HR and a double from Lavarnway today, single handedly securing a win today for Pawtucket. The guy keeps hitting. If anything, he seems to be getting better when he moves up a level. I think he's for real guys. He might even be a factor before year end. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

At what position?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

thirtysomething, the questions about a spot for Navarro will be answered in time. He has the range and arm to play SS, according to reports. Hard to believe that at his age he'd be content as a super-sub.  And who could blame him?
    Let's see how Middlebrooks comes along.
    The Youk/Papi situation could cause a bind.  If Ortiz is signed, Youk will again play third. Your word "weak" may a little strong to describe his play, but his body is another matter. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Navarro 2 : At what position?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

As a September call up he could just be an injury back up, mop up guy but add a decent RH pinch hitting bat as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Navarro 2 : As a September call up he could just be an injury back up, mop up guy but add a decent RH pinch hitting bat as well.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. How old is he Boom?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The guy is on pace for a 40 HR season projected over 600 AB, with great OPS and OBP. We haven't had this kind of bat in AAA ball for a while. A strong, RH power bat guy who also gets on base. He could really enhance this lineup.

The guy keeps putting up consistently great numbers at every level. He's not just hot right now. He was a NCAA batting champ hitting over .450 one year ( .467? ). He was our offensive MVP in the minor leagues the last 2 years and may well be again this year. He just keeps raking!

He's still just barely cracking the soxprospects top 10 now due to his defense but I think he can step in soon and help. His defense behind the plate is reputed to be bad but he is smart and he throws out runners fairly well. He should get better defensively over time. He's still only 24.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice info. At 24, if he shows something at the M.L. level, I wonder if the thought process is to use him for a valuable trading chip? Or do they see him being groomed as an all-around receiver? Or maybe a VMART type?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Hope you are right on Navarro's defense, expitch. Taking a closer look at his minor league lines, his defense does seem to have improved. His bat ought to be fine at shortstop, I'm just less certain it will play anywhere else.

Youkilis is now at -11 DRS for 2011. While no defensive system is perfect, that ranks among the worst in the majors at the position. I'll live with that for his bat, of course, but it isn't good. Admittedly his two bad ankles could easily be contributing to the poor defensive rating.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I like Lavarnway as a #2 catcher and part-time DH. The VMart role. Also, he doesn't turn 24 until August.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's got Vmart type written all over him. He's never going to be a good defensive catcher. Highly unlikely. He is extremely intelligent though so he may well learn to call a good game. His bat is taylor made for Fenway, with middle of the order potential. Carlton Fisk potential. And he's dirt cheap at a premium position. I think he makes the club next year. I think he might even affect us being willing to fight much to keep Ortiz next winter. As well as Ortiz is doing.

Ortiz has been so good this year that it's difficult to imagine them letting him go but how much is his current performance level going to cost us? It could go to $15 mil a year if it's based on his bat this year. I doubt it goes that high but Ortiz will be holding out for at least a 2 year deal I would think and he will want 3 years I bet. It's tempting to take the picks, slot Lavarnway's bat in there and save at least $10 mil a year with a player coming into his prime rather than leaving it. Theo has always coveted those picks. They are extremely important in this decision.

If he goes to the Yanks even I can live with it. At some point, he's going to decline and maybe even tank.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Absolute heresy, Boomerangs!

That said, I can't deny the logic of your position. With the Crawford and Gonzalez acquisitions, the Red Sox don't have as much money to play with as some imagine. Playing cheap on Ortiz could be very tempting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed on the heresy part thirtysomething. It's hard to imagine them letting Ortiz go but what will they pay to keep him when they have 2 picks dangling there and someone like Lavarnway ready to step in, or the ability to rotate that DH spot to rest some guys like Youk sometimes. Look at the flexibility Lavarnway presents. He could catch and let any player on the team DH sometimes. That flexibility, the 2 picks and the cost savings are all of real value. Especially while we are so near the luxury tax limit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Hope you are right on Navarro's defense, expitch. Taking a closer look at his minor league lines, his defense does seem to have improved. His bat ought to be fine at shortstop, I'm just less certain it will play anywhere else. Youkilis is now at -11 DRS for 2011. While no defensive system is perfect, that ranks among the worst in the majors at the position. I'll live with that for his bat, of course, but it isn't good. Admittedly his two bad ankles could easily be contributing to the poor defensive rating.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]
    SS is Navarro's logical position, though he's built more like a third baseman. He looks a bit like Vern Stephens.  He's still filling out. He's still learning at the plate. IMO, Boston should be hesitant to trade him if the club hopes to settle on a SS from within.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Losing Papi conveys much more than isolating it to losing just a ballplayer.
    He has defined the RedSox as a winning franchise. That decision won't be an easy one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed on Papi Harns. It is very speculative andwho knows how Lavarnway ends up. Same with Navarro. They could both continue to improve or they could both tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even trade for a SS at the deadline. It's been done before!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'd be amazed if they traded for a SS by the deadline.
    I don't care for Scut, as I think he's the club's def. weak link, but the commitment is there. I'd like to see Navarro/Lowrie man SS.

I think Theo will actively pursue a RH hitting bridge to replace CAM.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You mean three: You have two other running identities...for the moment.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Right. Boom/Moon/Myself - all so wrong and you so right. Funny how we don't have to repeatedly justify our stances. We just watch Jake and Wake and Lowrie and Tek add to the team, while you root for Hall and CAM and Lugo and Crisp and rely on Kalish/CAM and fantasize about Hanley and Kemp...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If someone has multiple identities like softlaw clearly does, what does that say about his credibility? Why would anyone want multiple identities?

1) To get more votes for his position in polls. I once saw his vote totals go up by 4-5 votes in the space of an hour or so, in late night, when it had been languishing around 1-2 votes for 3-4 days before that.

2) To start a thread and then have the next guy say "Heck yah Softy...you are a such a great baseball analyst!"

3) To have the ability to bully others when he feels the need.

If you can't win with logic and insight you can always cheat huh softy.