Need a big game from Wake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Need a big game from Wake

The Sox need to start this series off on the right foot tonight.  Hopefully Wake can dig down deep and have one of his magical nights.  If everything goes well we should have a more reliable replacement for Miller by Sunday night.  I'm going to have my eye on the Sox and Seattle tonight to see how Bedard does against Tampa.  As of now anyway all pitchers the Sox and Yanks are looking at appear to be healthy again. 

Bedard, Harden, Karoda & Jimenez

As far as Tampa goes?  They already tried and lost out on Rasmus and can't find a taker for Upton "big surprise" so it could be a long year for them if they don't make a move.  They also have Kotchman, Damon and Neimann up for sale.  I'm not sure I agree but it's their future.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Need a big game from Wake

And if Wakefield throws a big game, what does that mean? Shouldn't the next 4 starters after him also be asked to throw a big game. What makes this game any different from the last few games?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

i need to win the lottery. pretty much the same odds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

In Response to Re: Need a big game from Wake:
    [QUOTE]And if Wakefield throws a big game, what does that mean? Shouldn't the next 4 starters after him also be asked to throw a big game. What makes this game any different from the last few games?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Oh nothing, just mentality and the fact that this would mean we lost 2 in a row to sub-500 teams. Consecutive losses and starting a series off on the wrong foot means something to the players. Don't underestimate team psyche, or thevalue of added confidence that a high quality start from the number 5 guy can bring to the clubhouse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]And if Wakefield throws a big game, what does that mean? Shouldn't the next 4 starters after him also be asked to throw a big game. What makes this game any different from the last few games?

Wake and Miller have been hit hard the last couple of games so we need good outings from them.  They may also be fighting to keep a spot in the rotation after Sunday.  We have three mediocre pitchers right now, someone needs to step up their game.  Our offense won't win every game they struggle, it would be nice to give them help at some point without wearing out our pen.

And what wags said!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield's 5 plus ERA for over 2 years is not a "big game". Find Wally and see if you can pitch. If Tito doesn't have the Sparky Anderson leash on Fatfield, pen is rested, another Denny's grand slam breakfast will be served up! Asking for a big game from Wastefield is like asking the feds to stop printing fiat. The man is nearly 50 years old and has been 5 plus ERA ineffective for months of samples size starts. Maybe the offense will do better and score 12 runs and Wastefield can get a "win" and try and stay with Miller's 6-1 record for the team in games MIller starts.    Miller/Weiland/Doubrant is who deserves the turnover 4 and 5 spots. Wastefield needs to play for the surging Rays. There is no value trade market for pitching.  It's Beckett, Lester and bust value Slackey and AAA young players from here in. If Theo gets taken again in a bust trade, he's an idiot. He has parts to upgrade the OF with a Kemp profile, and the value market is there for that. Theo: Dumpster diving for: Rh OF Starter See Slackey and Crawbust
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Doubront, Weiland and Miller haven't shown any real dominance.  I realize we still haven't seen enough of them so who knows where they might be in a year or two.  Wake at the very least has experience and Lackey will probably be our 80mil dollar #5 starter next season if he keeps getting pounded.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Thank you.  The amount of thoughless junk on this msg board is amazing.  Same cliched cr@p we get from the players themselves...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Big game from Wake would be 6 IP 4 runs, anything else would be gravy, then turn it over to the pen. Chicago a home run friendly park good spot for A-Gon to break out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]   Big game from Wake would be 6 IP 4 runs, anything else would be gravy, then turn it over to the pen. Chicago a home run friendly park good spot for A-Gon to break out.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Hey Dan, I was thinking we may not see that much power from AGon until next season.  You can recover from Labrum surgery fairly quickly but I hear it could take a year or so depending on the conditioning program to get full strength back. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Boston is the hottest team in baseball right now.  This team has so much confidence that 2 losses against the worst team in baseball won't faze it.

The go on a tear posting an incredible winning percentage and then they go cold for a while.  But the cold spells are short and the hot streaks are long.

Since June 1, the Red Sox have posted a winning pct of .723.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think 3 young starters taking the bottom 4 and 5 rotation innings need to show "dominance" at all, much less the few starts they have taken. We know what Wastefield will be today, tomorrow, and the last 2 plus years
    Epic failure in logic.  We know Wakefield is a 5 ERA guy (which is pretty acceptable for a cheap #5-6 starter).  He will be that today tomorrow and next week.  On this team, that gets you a win more than half the time he takes the mound.  Your logic is that he will never be better so we should use, let's say Miller, who may blow up at any moment.  I am all for giving the kids a chance, but the fact that Wake is consistently mediocre and a known quantity is NOT a bad thing when you have a monster offense and underperforming or injured SP's.

/thread

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need a big game from Wake : Hey Dan, I was thinking we may not see that much power from AGon until next season.  You can recover from Labrum surgery fairly quickly but I hear it could take a year or so depending on the conditioning program to get full strength back. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Adrian while keeping his average at a steady pace seems to hit his homers in bunches. He had one in first 28 games, then 8 in next eleven. That was followed by one in 18, then 5 in 12, only two hit since then, and 0 for last 16 games. I think off season surgery has prevented him from reaching 40, but IMO he has one, perhaps two, more power bursts in him. The park, the weather somewhat suspect pitching hopefully will get him untracked as far as home runs are concerned. This post is by no means a knock on Gonzalez who has my vote for MVP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need a big game from Wake :   Adrian while keeping his average at a steady pace seems to hit his homers in bunches. He had one in first 28 games, then 8 in next eleven. That was followed by one in 18, then 5 in 12, only two hit since then, and 0 for last 16 games. I think off season surgery has prevented him from reaching 40, but IMO he has one, perhaps two, more power bursts in him. The park, the weather somewhat suspect pitching hopefully will get him untracked as far as home runs are concerned. This post is by no means a knock on Gonzalez who has my vote for MVP.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

How can any fan complain about what Adrian has done for our club?  I agree, a strong finish should give him the nod for MVP.  My bet is next season his power will be back which isn't a big deal when you put up these his of Stats anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Doubront, Weiland and Miller haven't shown any real dominance.  I realize we still haven't seen enough of them so who knows where they might be in a year or two.  Wake at the very least has experience I don't think 3 young starters taking the bottom 4 and 5 rotation innings need to show "dominance" at all, much less the few starts they have taken. We know what Wastefield will be today, tomorrow, and the last 2 plus years. He's a 5 plus ERA over 2 plus years oldest in the majors bum. Give the innings to the young guys and hope they get a lot of run support like Miller's superior 6-1 to Wastefield's many more starts. Do not get taken for the suspicous Jimenez trade solicitation and other poor pitcher value trade market. Better market for starting pitching will be the winter. Other than Felix, not going to be on the deadline market, there is nothing out there of value on a trade market deal. Theo must live by his mistake, Lackey, and hope it can perform at a #3 level. If so, the team will likely make the WS. At that point, the team is short a slugging RH OF weapon to compete against the likely final hurdle, the Phillies staff. The market is there to get Kemp or similar RH OF'er slugger v. LHP. Quentin is fools gold and another Theo on the Jenks barb sucker move.

I think "consistent" is a better word to use.  I would hope our #4 could at least finish a few games above 500 like Lackey last season with a decent ERA of 4.50 or so.  Our #5 would be expected to be more like Wake or Lackey are now.

I don't ever see Lackey being our #3, but you never know. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Boston is the hottest team in baseball right now.  This team has so much confidence that 2 losses against the worst team in baseball won't faze it. The go on a tear posting an incredible winning percentage and then they go cold for a while.  But the cold spells are short and the hot streaks are long. Since June 1, the Red Sox have posted a winning pct of .723.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

It all seems perfect DirtWater but injuries or lack of depth could change things quickly.  We could use a couple moves to ensure that doesn't happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

From what I have seen, Weiland is a better bet than Miller. I would say that other teams G.M.s and scouts see that as well. Keep hearing Weiland's name come up in trade talks, while there is apparently no interest in Miller. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A 5 plus ERA for over 2 years gets a ship out on any other GM's watch...

Why then is Miller still around after 5 or 6 seasons over 5 sandwiched around a 4.84 ERA season?.

Why is Miller the man you have faith in? If ERA is everything, why move the goalpost?

Why ignore all the evidence I submitted that showed all but one or two World Series teams in the last 4-5 seasons had 1-2 (even 3) starters with 5+ ERAs on their staffs. We're not talking starters with 2-4 starts, but starters in the top 5 on their team in GS and 20+ starts?

We know why: Wake is fat. Wake is old. Wake is white. Wake has showed you up for 3 straight years.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49WakeFan. Show 49WakeFan's posts

Anything posted by "billbyboy" =GARBAGE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield has showed you up for over 2 years. Why then is Miller still around after 5 or 6 seasons over 5 sandwiched around a 4.84 ERA season? . Miller hasn't been squatting on the roster all year. He hasn't had enough starts, and there are Weiland and Doubrant to get innings invested if MIller stays just below Tim Wastefield mode. Wastefield's ERA has been over 5 for over 2 years. I believe a player who is in his mid 20's is worth a longer look than some old fat goodball pitcher trying to hang on and pass some record for most losses in Red Sox history. Who cares!

If you can't appreciate what Wake has given to our club then I guess we are on a different level.  Wake has been a solid #5 for years.  He has also been nothing but a role model, good teammate and doesn't wear a whole in anyones wallet compared to guys like Lackey who have similar outings.

Most teams in baseball would love to have a guy like Wake they can rely every year.  Yes, at some point he will retire but until then I'm glad to have him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Whether it's Miller, Weiland, Doubrant is not important. What's important is not to  invest innings in Fatfield. Invest them in the youth, which includes more than the 6-1 record the Red Sox have in Miller's erratic starts.

Well we certainly can't blame Wake tonight.  He pitched a great game, why we couldn't we hit Floyd?  Don't have an answer