Need to Develop A Playoff SP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Need to Develop A Playoff SP

John Lester was a dominate SP come playoff time. They let him go and lets face it he is not coming back. This was a huge mistake to not build a younger staff around him. I can see Boston going into the free agent market this winter and pushing for James Shields. He is a good SP but is he a dominate playoff SP?

I am not so sure Boston has anyone in the minors who is capable of becoming the next dominate playoff SP for Boston down the road. The only young SP who maybe capable of becoming the next dominate one maybe De La Rosa. He does hit 94-97 mph with his fastball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Need to Develop A Playoff SP

In response to razcreation's comment:

John Lester was a dominate SP come playoff time. They let him go and lets face it he is not coming back. This was a huge mistake to not build a younger staff around him. I can see Boston going into the free agent market this winter and pushing for James Shields. He is a good SP but is he a dominate playoff SP?

I am not so sure Boston has anyone in the minors who is capable of becoming the next dominate playoff SP for Boston down the road. The only young SP who maybe capable of becoming the next dominate one maybe De La Rosa. He does hit 94-97 mph with his fastball.

Having a 94-97 mph fastball has nothing to do with how good a pitcher can be. And, seriously, you've got to stop obsessing about Lester. He's gone and he may or may not be back. Life goes on. Find another subject to obsess about. This is getting stale.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Having a 94-97 mph fastball has nothing to do with how good a pitcher can be. And, seriously, you've got to stop obsessing about Lester. He's gone and he may or may not be back. Life goes on. Find another subject to obsess about. This is getting stale.

Course a fastball does not make a good SP. However, De La Rosa has a fastball that he throws 94-97 with that sharp downward movement and it when it comes from his hands it explosive. The kid has good stuff

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Right now the Sox SP most likely to be the guy you want is Buchholz, not de la Rosa.

And I'm not overselling Buchholz here.  If they want to be in the post-season in 2015, an upgrade is needed in the rotation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Right now the Sox SP most likely to be the guy you want is Buchholz, not de la Rosa.

And I'm not overselling Buchholz here.  If they want to be in the post-season in 2015, an upgrade is needed in the rotation. 

Sorry but I will take De La Rosa's stuff over Buchholz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sorry but I will take De La Rosa's stuff over Buchholz.

No worries we have over a year to see one develop if Jon doesn't return.  If not...

Max Scherzer (30) Too much money, Sox would probably never even try.   Ervin Santana (32) Justin Masterson (30) Hiroki Kuroda (40) Gavin Floyd (32) and possibly Chad Billingsley (30) if he recovers pretty well are all decent but Shields would be the best and probably less expensive of Jon and Scherzer. I might personally go after Shields and another bat even if Jon does return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Buchholz?

He just plain sucks, as do the Sox...C'mon, get real.

If he's you best SP, you don't have to worry about getting to the playoffs...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Buchholz?

i think we will start hitting and driving in runs...we do have young solid pitchers but this off-season should be all about pitching....we will be back next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Course a fastball does not make a good SP. However, De La Rosa has a fastball that he throws 94-97 with that sharp downward movement and it when it comes from his hands it explosive. The kid has good stuff

De La Rosa needs a third pitch to become a really good starter.  It doesn't have to be a plus pitch, just an average one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

De La Rosa needs a third pitch to become a really good starter.  It doesn't have to be a plus pitch, just an average one.

Del La Rosa has the stuff to be a very good SP. He is working on his 3rd pitch. It funny how Sox fans agree we need to get younger but when these kids not not produce right away the fans wanna give up on them so quickly. It like make uo your minds!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Buchholz?

Sorta the point.

But right now he is their best SP...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Del La Rosa has the stuff to be a very good SP. He is working on his 3rd pitch. It funny how Sox fans agree we need to get younger but when these kids not not produce right away the fans wanna give up on them so quickly. It like make uo your minds!

I like de la Rosa, and hope he can become a good SP.  However, the Sox did not build for the future last month.  A frontline SP is tantamount, and he chances of de la Rosa, whether you like his stuff or not, becoming thata pitcher is actually slim.  Chances are greater Buchholz can do it, because he was putting up numbers last year to fill that role.

Personally, I doubt Buchholz ever has a season like 2013 again.  But I don't think that mean de la Rosa becomes the most likely pitcher to become that guy by default...

Sections
Shortcuts