Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redlon. Show redlon's posts

Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?

Jenks, would anybody take him off our hands?
    Miller? Salty? Youk?
    Any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?

Jenks to the Cubs as Theo comp.  I'd also be open to dealing Scoot.

Not sure why you included Miller and Salty on this list, combined they're only making $3.5M.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Another option is including Iggy in a deal for a SP or RF.  That would free up just over $2M, although if we dealt for a SP, then we wouldn't need Oswalt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Obviously, you'd trade Jenks if you could and someone would take the $6 million contract off your hands.  Trade him for an A ball left-hander, or the infamous PTBNL.  But that is NOT going to happen, so:

1) Offer Ortiz a 2 year deal with team option for 3rd year.  11, 11 and 11 or 3 million buyout.  This locks David in for less than he earned in 2011, but gives David the security and total money he wanted.  A deal that could be worth up to 33 million, but gurantees 25.  Explain to him what this means to the team.

2) Then, trade Scutaro and his $6 million; eat $1.5 million if you have to (or Iggy and his $2.1 million, if not Scut).

3) Trade Salty and his $2.5 million and play Lavarnway and Shoppach.

4) Trade Beckett and Ranaudo for Garza and an A level pitching prospect, then call the Theo compensation done.

5) Consider trading Youk if none of the first 4 things work.

By my count, if you do just #1, you save $1.5 million but free up possibly $3 million.

If you do 1 and 2, you free up as much as $9 million total, and $5.1 million at least.

If you do 1,2 and 3, you save another $2 million, or $11 million tops/$7.1 million minimum.

If you do all 4, then you save around $20 at the high end, and $16 million at least.  That gives you enough to sign Oswalt and a RFer and still have flexibility come the July trade deadline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?:
    [QUOTE]Obviously, you'd trade Jenks if you could and someone would take the $6 million contract off your hands.  Trade him for an A ball left-hander, or the infamous PTBNL.  But that is NOT going to happen, so: 1) Offer Ortiz a 2 year deal with team option for 3rd year.  11, 11 and 11 or 3 million buyout.  This locks David in for less than he earned in 2011, but gives David the security and total money he wanted.  A deal that could be worth up to 33 million, but gurantees 25.  Explain to him what this means to the team. 2) Then, trade Scutaro and his $6 million; eat $1.5 million if you have to (or Iggy and his $2.1 million, if not Scut). 3) Trade Salty and his $2.5 million and play Lavarnway and Shoppach. 4) Trade Beckett and Ranaudo for Garza and an A level pitching prospect, then call the Theo compensation done. 5) Consider trading Youk if none of the first 4 things work. By my count, if you do just #1, you save $1.5 million but free up possibly $3 million. If you do 1 and 2, you free up as much as $9 million total, and $5.1 million at least. If you do 1,2 and 3, you save another $2 million, or $11 million tops/$7.1 million minimum. If you do all 4, then you save around $20 at the high end, and $16 million at least.  That gives you enough to sign Oswalt and a RFer and still have flexibility come the July trade deadline.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Bingo to #4 - i've been saying this for a month...Beckett is not only the ingrate who contributed most to the epic September collapse, but is being paid 18 million or so a year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Trade Scutaro.  The Ortiz thing is really biting us in the butt right now.  We should have just used Lavarnaway at DH and upgraded in RF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

titletown,
    You are right.  Ortiz's impending arbitration award is really hamstringing the Sox right now.  I am almost certain they'd like a do-over on that.

However, I understood and supported offering Ortiz arbitration.  If he accepts, you end up with the best DH available and still one of the two best offenses in the AL.  If he declines you get a draft pick or two.  Certainly seemed worth the gamble, especially knowing Ortiz wanted a multi-year contract and security.  Ortiz was smart to accept arbitration, as it all turned out.  But I'd like to think that the offer of the multi-year security, and the explanation of how his accepting less on a yearly basis but more in total would benefit the team and him might persuade him to accept the multi-year deal I proposed.

That would be a good first step in freeing up payroll as it keeps the status quo and frees up as much as $3 million dollars, assuming an arbitration award of $14 million, as so many have speculated. And if all goes welll, David gets to retire a Red Sox, which would be good for all involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

You can't do this now, but what if Papi looks like the 2009[Spring-April-May] Papi? Cutting him might be the smart thing to do even if the Red Sox don't need to save money. You have to eat 1/6 of his salary though. Paying nearly 15 million to any DH is questionable. Paying that to the 2009 Papi is crazy.

Not saying I expect this or want this, just saying it might be something to think about.

I sign Oswalt and figure out how to shave payroll later. There are 7-8 ways to potentially do it and a lot of time to figure it out. If Oswalt signs elsewhere, its too late for free agents.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

First, I wouldn't trade any of these players just so we could sign Oswalt, but here's my lists:

Of all the players worth anything to other teams, who can we trade and not see a huge drop off (or none at all)?

1) Scutaro ($6M): Playing Iggy will save 60-100 hits a game plus the relay throw differentials. Even Aviles and Punto would not be a big drop-off.

2) Salty ($2.5M): Playing Lava 100 games at catcher and maybe 25 at DH would be a plus in my book.

3) Trade Papi and eat part of his salary. One reason some teams did not bid for him was that they'd lose 2 draft picks. If they trade for him now, they lose no picks. Even if we just get a prospect or two, losing Papi's salary could go a long way in building up our pitching, RF, and give us much more roster flexibility by having Lava DH and be our 3rd catcher. (We could pinch it for Salty or Shopp and not have to worry about our cathcer getting hurt and having no catcher.)

4) If we don't trade Scutaro, then trade Iggy ($2.1M). He's not doing us any good in AAA at that cost.

Far-fetched...
    1) Trade Crawford and pay $30-40M of his remaining deal.
    2) Dice-K ($8.7M AVV/$10M 2012)
    3) Trade Jenks ($6M) to the Cubs and call the Theo issue settled.
    4) Trade Youk ($12.5M in 2012 plus '13 option for $13M) and go with Aviles, Punto and Middlebrooks or bring up Iggy and use Scutaro at 3B.
    5) Lackey: yeah right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?:
    [QUOTE]Jenks, would anybody take him off our hands? Miller? Salty? Youk? Any ideas?
    Posted by redlon[/QUOTE]

I would get rid of Oswalt just because of what he would want. If so good why is he still out there.Why are we so excited about garbage pic-ups????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : I would get rid of Oswalt just because of what he would want. If so good why is he still out there.Why are we so excited about garbage pic-ups????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Oswalt is far from garbage.  His career numbers are among the best of all active pitchers.  Health concerns are why he's still out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously, you'd trade Jenks if you could and someone would take the $6 million contract off your hands.  Trade him for an A ball left-hander, or the infamous PTBNL.  But that is NOT going to happen, so: 1) Offer Ortiz a 2 year deal with team option for 3rd year.  11, 11 and 11 or 3 million buyout.  This locks David in for less than he earned in 2011, but gives David the security and total money he wanted.  A deal that could be worth up to 33 million, but gurantees 25.  Explain to him what this means to the team. 2) Then, trade Scutaro and his $6 million; eat $1.5 million if you have to (or Iggy and his $2.1 million, if not Scut). 3) Trade Salty and his $2.5 million and play Lavarnway and Shoppach. 4) Trade Beckett and Ranaudo for Garza and an A level pitching prospect, then call the Theo compensation done. 5) Consider trading Youk if none of the first 4 things work. By my count, if you do just #1, you save $1.5 million but free up possibly $3 million. If you do 1 and 2, you free up as much as $9 million total, and $5.1 million at least. If you do 1,2 and 3, you save another $2 million, or $11 million tops/$7.1 million minimum. If you do all 4, then you save around $20 at the high end, and $16 million at least.  That gives you enough to sign Oswalt and a RFer and still have flexibility come the July trade deadline.

Interestingly Comprehensive, of course Oswalt will be a big piece!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

I am speechless

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I can't see Beckett or Scutaro getting traded. I don't think they are looking to upgrade RF at the moment.  They might bring in a platoon guy to play right that bats right handed, but signing a starting RFer probably won't happen. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : I would get rid of Oswalt just because of what he would want. If so good why is he still out there.Why are we so excited about garbage pic-ups????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

garbage??  Wow, you need to follow the game more

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]You can't do this now, but what if Papi looks like the 2009[Spring-April-May] Papi? Cutting him might be the smart thing to do even if the Red Sox don't need to save money. You have to eat 1/6 of his salary though. Paying nearly 15 million to any DH is questionable. Paying that to the 2009 Papi is crazy. Not saying I expect this or want this, just saying it might be something to think about. I sign Oswalt and figure out how to shave payroll later. There are 7-8 ways to potentially do it and a lot of time to figure it out. If Oswalt signs elsewhere, its too late for free agents.
    Posted by BMav[/QUOTE]
    You would have pay 15 million if you cut him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]First, I wouldn't trade any of these players just so we could sign Oswalt, but here's my lists: Of all the players worth anything to other teams, who can we trade and not see a huge drop off (or none at all)? 1) Scutaro ($6M): Playing Iggy will save 60-100 hits a game plus the relay throw differentials. Even Aviles and Punto would not be a big drop-off. 2) Salty ($2.5M): Playing Lava 100 games at catcher and maybe 25 at DH would be a plus in my book.   3) Trade Papi and eat part of his salary. One reason some teams did not bid for him was that they'd lose 2 draft picks. If they trade for him now, they lose no picks. Even if we just get a prospect or two, losing Papi's salary could go a long way in building up our pitching, RF, and give us much more roster flexibility by having Lava DH and be our 3rd catcher. (We could pinch it for Salty or Shopp and not have to worry about our cathcer getting hurt and having no catcher.) 4) If we don't trade Scutaro, then trade Iggy ($2.1M). He's not doing us any good in AAA at that cost. Far-fetched... 1) Trade Crawford and pay $30-40M of his remaining deal. 2) Dice-K ($8.7M AVV/$10M 2012) 3) Trade Jenks ($6M) to the Cubs and call the Theo issue settled. 4) Trade Youk ($12.5M in 2012 plus '13 option for $13M) and go with Aviles, Punto and Middlebrooks or bring up Iggy and use Scutaro at 3B. 5) Lackey: yeah right.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Lavarnway will not be the starting catcher for the Boston Red Sox this year. He needs a ton of work defensively. You mancrush is the inverse of what is happening with Softy and Ellsbury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Let's not get rid rid of nobody and see how things workout.  Oswalt is very risky.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : You would have pay 15 million if you cut him.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

Not if you take him to the arb hearing.  Arb contracts and non-garunteed, and he could be cut for baseball reasons during spring traing and he would only be owed severance of 1/6 of his contrat amount.  If he looks like 2009 Papi, then that would certainly qualify as baseball reasons, although it would have to be an extreme case and the FO would have to prepare for a battle from MLBPA.

I'm not advocating it, but BMav is right about that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": [QUOTE]Let's not get rid rid of nobody and see how things workout.  Oswalt is very risky. Posted by bigdog1[/QUOTE] I agree...unless Oswalt's price drops significantly...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : Not if you take him to the arb hearing.  Arb contracts and non-garunteed, and he could be cut for baseball reasons during spring traing and he would only be owed severance of 1/6 of his contrat amount.  If he looks like 2009 Papi, then that would certainly qualify as baseball reasons, although it would have to be an extreme case and the FO would have to prepare for a battle from MLBPA. I'm not advocating it, but BMav is right about that. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] I can't see Henry signing off on something like that, he loves the guy for everything he's done on and off the field for this organization. I think he'd pay a luxury tax penalty for the right player before he'd ever cut Papi for a rough spring...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": I can't see Henry signing off on something like that, he loves the guy for everything he's done on and off the field for this organization. I think he'd pay a luxury tax penalty for the right player before he'd ever cut Papi for a rough spring...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I never said it would or should be done.  Joe said that BMav was wrong in saying it was possible.  I was simply letting Joe know that BMav was correct that he would only be owed 1/6 of his contract if a very specific set of events were to transpire.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : I never said it would or should be done.  Joe said that BMav was wrong in saying it was possible.  I was simply letting Joe know that BMav was correct that he would only be owed 1/6 of his contract if a very specific set of events were to transpire. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] I realize that JB-3, I was just making an observation...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": I realize that JB-3, I was just making an observation...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Ok, it's always tough to tell on here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need to free up payroll to sign Oswalt, who do they get rid of? : Ok, it's always tough to tell on here. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] That it is...