NESN: Red Sox pursuing Swisher, Napoli, and Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

NESN: Red Sox pursuing Swisher, Napoli, and Ross

http://nesn.com/2012/11/report-red-sox-targeting-trio-of-nick-swisher-mike-napoli-and-cody-ross-in-potential-offseason-overhaul/

What do you think? Can anyone see Ben somehow landing all three?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: NESN: Red Sox pursuing Swisher, Napoli, and Ross

If Big Papi had walks away, I can see them getting all three.  But i think just two out of three.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

If they get those 3, then basically what happens is Gomes is a 5 million dollar bench/platoon player. I am taking a educated guess and saying that Ross goes to left, Swisher to right and Napoli will catch along with David Ross but play 1b mostly. That would mean Lavanway would be in the minors. No reason to carry three catchers. Maybe I have it all wrong. One other option is Sweeney/Khalish/Gomes platoon is rf, Ross in lf Swisher at 1b and Napoli catching. I mean it sounds feasable I am just not sure of it. I doubt then get all 3 of them. The only one for sure u can count on getting is Napoli. Seems they want him real bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There are a lot of 1 b's that might be available through trade.

Moreland is one I never hear mentioned. Aother guy with Texas is Michael Young. He's always in great shape, can hit and hit in the clutch in addition to playing all infield positions. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they get those 3, then basically what happens is Gomes is a 5 million dollar bench/platoon player. I am taking a educated guess and saying that Ross goes to left, Swisher to right and Napoli will catch along with David Ross but play 1b mostly. That would mean Lavanway would be in the minors. No reason to carry three catchers. Maybe I have it all wrong. One other option is Sweeney/Khalish/Gomes platoon is rf, Ross in lf Swisher at 1b and Napoli catching. I mean it sounds feasable I am just not sure of it. I doubt then get all 3 of them. The only one for sure u can count on getting is Napoli. Seems they want him real bad.

[/QUOTE]

Regardless of how many of these players we get, Gomes is a 5M/platoon player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is 100% feasible and extremely exciting.

Against Lefties:

Naps at C, Gomes in Left, C. Ross in Right, Swish at 1B.

Against most righties:

D. Ross at C, Naps at 1b, Swish in RF, Kalish/Nava/Sweeney (whoever wins the job) in left

Against remaining righties:

C. Ross in left, Kalish/Nava/Sweeney (whoever wins the job) in right, Swish at 1B, Naps at C

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is 100% feasible and extremely exciting.

Against Lefties:

Naps at C, Gomes in Left, C. Ross in Right, Swish at 1B.

Against most righties:

D. Ross at C, Naps at 1b, Swish in RF, Kalish/Nava/Sweeney (whoever wins the job) in left

Against remaining righties:

C. Ross in left, Kalish/Nava/Sweeney (whoever wins the job) in right, Swish at 1B, Naps at C

[/QUOTE]

Or...

vs RHP

C Salty (Naps in NL parks)

1B Naps (Swish) / Papi in NL parks

RF Swish

LF Nava/Kalish

vs LHPs:

C D Ross (Naps in NL parks)

1B Naps/ Papi in NL parks

RF Swish

LF Gomes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

These 3 players are going to cost a few bucks. Zach Stewart is traded to the Pirates for player to be name later and also the Pirates are looking for a catcher, in comes Salty for a trade. Salty and Stewart could get the Sox even a better player on the roster with the Pirates (probably bull pen pitcher)

Swisher RF/1B and is Switch Hitter

Napoli  1B and C is right hitter

C. Ross LF and is a right hitter

LF Ross Gomes Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

RF Swisher Sands Kalish

1B Napoli Swisher

C Ross Napoli Lavarnway

Batting order:

Ellsbury CF

Ped SS

Napoli 1B

Papi DH

Swisher RF

C. Ross LF/ Gomes pinch hitter

Middlebrooks 3B

D. Ross C

Isglesias SS/ Ciriaco pinch hitter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Batting order:

Ellsbury CF

Ped SS

Napoli 1B

Papi DH

Swisher RF

C. Ross LF/ Gomes pinch hitter

Middlebrooks 3B

D. Ross C

Isglesias SS/ Ciriaco pinch hitter

I see this...

vs RHPs    Vs LHPs

1)            Ells

2)          Pedey

3) Papi           Naps

4) Swish       Papi

5) Naps         Swish

6) Midds       C Ross

7) Salty         Midds

8) C Ross    D Ross

9)         Iggy

If we get all 3, Gomes should rarely start. C. Ross is best vs LHPs, and Gomes stinks vs RHPs.

Therefore, we will not get all 3.  Two of three, maybe; one of 3, certainly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Let's forget about pitching for a minute here. Let's say opening day roster looked like this, could this team win. I know we haven't gotten already to pithcing yet, but from a offersive standpoint, is it a nice offensive team imyo to look at and do things with?

C-Napoli, D. Ross

1b-Swisher

2b-Pedoria

ss-Iggy/Ciaraco

3b-Middlebrooks

lf-C.Ross

cf-Ellsbury

rf-Gomes/Khalish or Sweeney

dh-Ortiz

There you have it. If all 3 of those players are signed, then the only left to focus on is pitching. With that roster, you have a lot of versatility. Swisher can play rf as well as 1b and so can Napoli. By doing this, Gomes would strickly be used aganist lhp. I am rooting for Khalish to get a chance to make the club and see what he can do of he is heathly. On paper it looks ok can't say I would be over joyed to see that but I guess we shall see how things turn out.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's forget about pitching for a minute here. Let's say opening day roster looked like this, could this team win. I know we haven't gotten already to pithcing yet, but from a offersive standpoint, is it a nice offensive team imyo to look at and do things with?

C-Napoli, D. Ross

1b-Swisher

2b-Pedoria

ss-Iggy/Ciaraco

3b-Middlebrooks

lf-C.Ross

cf-Ellsbury

dh-Ortiz

There you have it. If all 3 of those players are signed, then the only left to focus on is pitching. With that roster, you have a lot of versatility. Swisher can play rf as well as 1b and so can Napoli. By doing this, Gomes would strickly be used aganist lhp. I am rooting for Khalish to get a chance to make the club and see what he can do of he is heathly. On paper it looks ok can't say I would be over joyed to see that but I guess we shall see how things turn out.

[/QUOTE]

It should also be noted that if we go this route, we still have PLENTY of payroll space (w/ all three acquisitions, are anticipated payroll is ~110M) and still have all of our prospects to work out a trade for a  pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

C-Napoli, D. Ross

1b-Swisher

2b-Pedoria

ss-Iggy/Ciaraco

3b-Middlebrooks

lf-C.Ross

cf-Ellsbury

dh-Ortiz

[/QUOTE]

It should also be noted that if we go this route, we still have PLENTY of payroll space (w/ all three acquisitions, are anticipated payroll is ~110M) and still have all of our prospects to work out a trade for a  pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think Salty is the most likely to be dealt for a starting pitcher. I also think signing either Marcum, Haren or Sanchez would become a reality. I am not sure about anyone else on hear but I want nothing to do with lackey. I want him out of here asap. Eat his contract or trade him for Vernon Wells. That was mentioned in early Nov. I doubt Lester is traded. I am hoping that by 2014, we actually have 2 sp's from our farm up. Would be nice to see some young blood on this pitching beside Doubront.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I agree. I think Salty is the most likely to be dealt for a starting pitcher. I also think signing either Marcum, Haren or Sanchez would become a reality. I am not sure about anyone else on hear but I want nothing to do with lackey. I want him out of here asap. Eat his contract or trade him for Vernon Wells. That was mentioned in early Nov. I doubt Lester is traded. I am hoping that by 2014, we actually have 2 sp's from our farm up. Would be nice to see some young blood on this pitching beside Doubront.

What starting pitcher can the Red Sox expect in a trade of one year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia?

Pittsburgh righthander Jeff Karstens matches up in terms of projected salary and one year of team control. Karstens had a 2012 WAR of 1.7 and a career WAR of 3.0, while Saltalamacchia had a 2012 WAR of 2.0 and a career WAR of 3.9.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What starting pitcher can the Red Sox expect in a trade of one year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia?

Pittsburgh righthander Jeff Karstens matches up in terms of projected salary and one year of team control. Karstens had a 2012 WAR of 1.7 and a career WAR of 3.0, while Saltalamacchia had a 2012 WAR of 2.0 and a career WAR of 3.9.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking Salty would go with Morales or Aceves in a deal. There has to be something we can get for him. Some starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree. I think Salty is the most likely to be dealt for a starting pitcher.I also think signing either Marcum, Haren or Sanchez would become a reality. I am not sure about anyone else on hear but I want nothing to do with lackey. I want him out of here asap. Eat his contract or trade him for Vernon Wells. That was mentioned in early Nov. I doubt Lester is traded. I am hoping that by 2014, we actually have 2 sp's from our farm up. Would be nice to see some young blood on this pitching beside Doubront.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking Salty would go with Morales or Aceves in a deal. There has to be something we can get for him. Some starter.

[/QUOTE]

I'd call Philly today if I was Ben, seeing as though their 33 yr old C just received a 25 game suspension for a positive drug test.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree. I think Salty is the most likely to be dealt for a starting pitcher.I also think signing either Marcum, Haren or Sanchez would become a reality. I am not sure about anyone else on hear but I want nothing to do with lackey. I want him out of here asap. Eat his contract or trade him for Vernon Wells. That was mentioned in early Nov. I doubt Lester is traded. I am hoping that by 2014, we actually have 2 sp's from our farm up. Would be nice to see some young blood on this pitching beside Doubront.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd call Philly today if I was Ben, seeing as though their 33 yr old C just received a 25 game suspension for a positive drug test.  

[/QUOTE]

the doc? *instant chubby*

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Karstens cannot stay healthy and is a potential non-tender candidate...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Drewski I wont question you again on it but you say Napoli is worth 4 years at the right price and his numbers would be better as a 1B... yet you then make out a line-up with him catching? So you want a 31 year old catcher for $12 million per year and who will play in 114 games? And u want him for 4 years?

Anyhow you are a great poster and I am not.... so I will drop it now.

Enjoy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There should be no financial reason for not signing three position players and possibly three starting pitchers.

We cut ties with: AGon, CC, Beckett, Punto, DiceK, Youk, Jenks --roughly $85 M

We have signed: Ortiz, Gomes(new Money)--we have about $80 M left

Swish---$15, Cody-- $7, Nap-- $11, Marcum--$15, Haren--$15, Sanchez--$15===$78 M

Let's go shopping Ben.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There should be no financial reason for not signing three position players and possibly three starting pitchers.

Swish---$15, Cody-- $7, Nap-- $11, Marcum--$15, Haren--$15, Sanchez--$15===$78 M

Let's go shopping Ben.

[/QUE]
    l   love all those pitchers and for that money. i think sanchez might get more thou.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's go shopping Ben.

[/QUOTE]

After all the arbs, we will be at about $110M. That leaves us about $60M to stay under the luxury tax limit.

Marcum will not cost $15M.

We don't need Ross or we'll have a $5M Gomes on the bench even vs LHPs.

We could afford Swish ($13M), Naps ($12M), Sanchez ($14M), and Haren ($14M) and be sure to be under the cap. (Mind you, I am not for doing this.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ross and Gomes are redundant...No need for both. Probably Swish and Naps.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drewski I wont question you again on it but you say Napoli is worth 4 years at the right price and his numbers would be better as a 1B... yet you then make out a line-up with him catching? So you want a 31 year old catcher for $12 million per year and who will play in 114 games? And u want him for 4 years?

Anyhow you are a great poster and I am not.... so I will drop it now.

Enjoy

[/QUOTE]

There are RS teams that I love w Napoli at 1B, there are Red Sox teams that I love w Napoli at C, there are RS teams that I love without Napoli.

I just want to win.   30+ HR power goes a LONG way.  Its worth more than 12M/yr to me, which is why I would sign Naps.

Sections
Shortcuts