Nevermind signing a closer...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Nevermind signing a closer...

Seriously. I think Aceves/Bard can handle 8/9 VERY well. I would have been happy with the deals Pap(4/50), Nathan (2/15) or Bell (3/27) got. Disappointed none were targets of the Sox, but they are gone, and I really don't like the money ANY of the remaining guys will get. I like Madson, but not at 10+ per, and he turned down 4/44 before the Phils said forget you, and signed a better player.

So, Bard/Aceves, sign some more bullpen help, and go get a starter. The hitting will be fine, the starting pitching NEEDS some help, as does the bullpen. I don't see anyone on the market as a closer a better potential fit than either Bard OR Aceves, and all will command big money and multiple years. No and no.

I like CJ Wilson, but he's 31, and I'm sure he'll get 4/5 years, and I don't like that.

I don't know who the list of FA pitchers are, but all I know is I do NOT want to see them spend big money on one of these remaining closers. If one of the Rodriguez' wanted a 1 year deal, I would probably do that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Nevermind signing a closer...

The price of any pitcher who has earned the closer label goes up disproportionately to his actual worth.

The Red Sox should sign (or trade for) relatively low-cost relievers with some upside and the bullpen sort itself out during Spring Training.

The starting rotation is more important issue to address.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Madsen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Nevermind signing a closer...:
    [QUOTE]Seriously. I think Aceves/Bard can handle 8/9 VERY well. I would have been happy with the deals Pap(4/50), Nathan (2/15) or Bell (3/27) got. Disappointed none were targets of the Sox, but they are gone, and I really don't like the money ANY of the remaining guys will get. I like Madson, but not at 10+ per, and he turned down 4/44 before the Phils said forget you, and signed a better player. So, Bard/Aceves, sign some more bullpen help, and go get a starter. The hitting will be fine, the starting pitching NEEDS some help, as does the bullpen. I don't see anyone on the market as a closer a better potential fit than either Bard OR Aceves, and all will command big money and multiple years. No and no. I like CJ Wilson, but he's 31, and I'm sure he'll get 4/5 years, and I don't like that. I don't know who the list of FA pitchers are, but all I know is I do NOT want to see them spend big money on one of these remaining closers. If one of the Rodriguez' wanted a 1 year deal, I would probably do that.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
      I hope your wrong, but all signs seem like the Sox are going to go cheap in filling out bull-pen, throwing a bunch of garbage against the wall hoping some of it sticks. They can get away with that during regular season, but teams need a deep bull-pen filled with power arms for post-season success.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Nevermind signing a closer...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Nevermind signing a closer... :   I hope your wrong, but all signs seem like the Sox are going to go cheap in filling out bull-pen, throwing a bunch of garbage against the wall hoping some of it sticks. They can get away with that during regular season, but teams need a deep bull-pen filled with power arms for post-season success.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Well, assuming Bard/Aceves WILL be the 8/9 guys, teams don't spend big money on 7th, or long relief guys, so that's fine. In fact, that's where they got KILLED last year, they had nobody between the starters and Bard of any consistency or worth besides when Aceves was doing it. I WANT them to sign 4-6 guys to legitimately compete for about 2 spots, and I would expect each of them to be in the $2mil ballpark. I really don't see a problem with that.

If, however, they don't sign a closer, don't add any bullpen help, AND don't sign a starter, then I will have serious concerns and expect another 88-90 wins, as has been the case the past 2 years.

They missed the boat...well, they missed the 3 BOATS worth catching as far as closers are concerned. Don't go all "Lackey" now and just overpay for the best available, regardless of how good he actually is, and negating how he may fit. Really, the guy said "Boston. I f****** HATE pitching here!" and they give him 5 years and $82 million. Henry must have won the lottery or something because he's surrounds himself with idiots and continues to follow their advice, herego...

I wish they'd sell the team, they made their money, they'll make a tidy profit, sell and move on.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nevermind signing a closer... : Your wrong, Beckett, Bucholz, Lester. Thats 3 pretty good quality starters. If they can keep their heads on straight.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    I agree that's a potentially formidable rotation ... if the Red Sox are going with a three-man rotation.

The Sox don't need a top-of-rotation starter, but the drop-off is steep after Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Buchholz's health is not a given at this point.

I like Aceves moving to the rotation, he has more value there than being the 8th inning guy.  Bard will be the 9th inning guy, which means they need to find an 8th inning guy.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nevermind signing a closer... : So is every teams. How many can afford 5 Great Pitchers, in todays Baseball. Your investment should be in the Minors. Look at Tampa.
    The Rays last season brought up Rookie of the Year Jeremy Hellickson, Matt Moore and Alex Cobb while the Red Sox the past two seasons have brought up Kyle Weiland, Andrew Miller and Felix Doubront.

I concur that there's a contrast.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

Becket, Lester and Buch are quality top three.  But, only Lester is not an injury risk.  Becket has made has made more than 30 starts twice in his career and has started 30 games twice in his career.  Buch has never made 30 starts in a season.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nevermind signing a closer... : Hill not trying to argue with you. Like reading your posts. At he same time the Wakefield for cheap posts make me laugh, on this site. Posters write that he is cheap, no he isnt. Nothing cheaper than a Minor Leaguer call up. Also what is the ceiling on a Knuckleball, Zero. With a kid who has promise, you never know.

The problem is, I have close to zero confidence in Miller, Doubront, and Weiland. I seriously do not think they have a "ceiling" as this 3 year stretch...

38-28  4.48  (1.31 WHIP) 
    Wake from age 40-42

Or this 17 game stretch to start 2009:
    11-3  4.31   (1.380)

Or this 30 game season in 2008:
    10-11  4.13  (1.180 - 5th in AL)

Or the 2008 to 2009 season totals combined:
    21-16  4.32  (1.29 WHIP)

Wake may certainly never reach those numbers again, but he did show he could do it after age 40 already.

There's certainly a chance one of our kids may come close to these numbers, but we may have to go through 3-4 of them before we may find one that does... by then we may be 10 out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

bobby and moon I agree with you about Aceves--to me the guy could be a "New Age" type closer. The guy easily can get one out or 9 outs. Bring him in for a tough out in the ninth to preserve a tie and let him continue until we break the tie. The man is a warrior--the heart of a lion--no doubt he's my choice for closer and I have felt that way for months. What makes him great is that after throwing 3 innings he'll want the ball the next day. I was not sorry to see Pap walk.

Sections
Shortcuts