New agreement with NPB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

New agreement with NPB

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/latest-on-the-posting-system-negotiations.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: New agreement with NPB

The question then becomes who decides who the player gets to negotiate with. Is it the worst record that was being discussed? Or is it the players choice. If its record, then the Red Sox and Yankees probably never see a great Japanese player again. If its the players choice, then we are still in on every guy, including Tanaka. Maybe Tanaka prefers to have some Japanese compadres to play with. Maybe the sox are his favorite team.

Either way, this is good news as far as I am concerned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

The question then becomes who decides who the player gets to negotiate with. Is it the worst record that was being discussed? Or is it the players choice. If its record, then the Red Sox and Yankees probably never see a great Japanese player again. If its the players choice, then we are still in on every guy, including Tanaka. Maybe Tanaka prefers to have some Japanese compadres to play with. Maybe the sox are his favorite team.

Either way, this is good news as far as I am concerned.

I would think that the player should get to choose just like a regular FA. Maybe they can negotiate with a few team and then decide. Either way, this will allow every team to have a chance, not just NY, Bos, LA, etc...

edit: from MLBTR...

6:04pm: While the maximum posting fee is $20MM, players are free to sign with any team that ties for the highest bid, Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan tweets. If that's the case, Passan points out, it will make Tanaka a de facto free agent, and he will likely receive a large contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love for us to get Tanaka.

We could then trade Dempster and/or Peavy then maybe sign Napoli and R Davis.

We'd have money left over for any deadline needs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

edit: from MLBTR...

6:04pm: While the maximum posting fee is $20MM, players are free to sign with any team that ties for the highest bid, Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan tweets. If that's the case, Passan points out, it will make Tanaka a de facto free agent, and he will likely receive a large contract.

[/QUOTE]

while this removes to beauty of not counting against the lux tax

it also removes the BS randomness of a secret bid

not sure if randomness is the right word

point is if you fail to get the guy it's because you didn't want him bad enough vs

trying 2  guess what the other gm's might bid

still can't figure out why the j teams are good with this

maybe they just don't want another j team to gain so much cash

WEDNESDAY,4:51pm: According to a report from Japanese report passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker (on Twitter), the Rakuten Golden Eagles are the only NPB team to stand against the proposed changes.  The Golden Eagles, of course, are Masahiro Tanaka's team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think at the very least with the new system the Sox will put in a bid.  20 million isn't very much and then they could kick the tires to see how the market develops.  I would love for the Sox to get this guy.  Dice K didn't work out, but his numbers in Japan were not as good as Darvish or this guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think at the very least with the new system the Sox will put in a bid.  20 million isn't very much and then they could kick the tires to see how the market develops.  I would love for the Sox to get this guy.  Dice K didn't work out, but his numbers in Japan were not as good as Darvish or this guy.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if this is what the new system will be, what's the harm in putting in a bid? I'm sure a lot of teams will do so and then Tanaka, it sounds like, will be free to choose who to sign with. That's a lot fairer to the player and to smaller-market clubs who maybe can't afford to drop $50 million-plus just to get to the negotiating stage with these guys. I like it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Now the rule may be unfair for a smaller payroll or small market team.   

Why can they just keep all the rules and increase the tax percentage to make the Yankees to pay more tax!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

From what I read it tells me that every team in baseball can now bid on Tanaka's services and the posting fee is fixed 20 mil is what the bid will be, then just like the MLB FA's the clubs can negotiate with Tananka's representatives, so though it levels the playing field a little in regards to who can afford the posting fee, it will still keep the small market teams from acquiring him as he already has an idea of who the top teams are. Yankees have Kuroda and Ichiro, Seattle has Iwakuma,Texas has Darvish, KC has Aoki, and the Sox have Uehara and Tazawa, of the teams that have a Japanese player the Sox and Yanks have two assuming Kuroda signs with the Yanks. Then he's going to want a big contract so who has the most money available? Yankees if they give up on signing Cano,the Sox would be next on the list and they have cash because they haven't signed any of their FA's so they can bid their 20 mil and offer the moon and the stars if they want to. Whoever signs him isn't going to get him on the cheap, because at least three teams who spend money on ballplayers will be involved, Texas,NY and Boston with a sleeper team or two being Seattle and the Angels.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Yanks are going to make a huge offer. They need this guy bad.