new mngr & general mngr nxt year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year

and new trainers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to new mngr & general mngr nxt year:
    [QUOTE]worst x & o mngr in baseball. incompetent. clueless. inept. awful. terrible. general mngr wastes to much money on punch & judy hitters. crawford= 140 mill. are you kidding me. lackey= 85 mill. worst pitcher in baseball. THEY BOTH NEED TO BE FIRED. IM TIRED OF THIS BLEEP
    Posted by jackripper[/QUOTE]

Spot on, Jack. These two pukes are two of the sorriest excuses for their respective jobs we've ever seen. They both need to be driven to the state line, dropped off and told never to return.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfanmoncton. Show redsoxfanmoncton's posts

In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Punctuation is a wonderful thing. Try it some time.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

guess a team that goes 1-9 down the stretch in a pennant race is punctuation enough, ya think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I don't think Epstein will be fired. We can argue about whether he overpaid for some of his acquisitions (Crawford!), stuck with veterans for too long (Lackey), inadequately addressed right field (Reddick/Drew/McDonald) and failed to assemble a bullpen (what else is new), but by and large, he assembled a team that on paper should at least win the wild card. He did it unimpressively by throwing around more money than anyone else this offseason, however it's still a playoff-caliber team under any reasonable statistical prognostication. Therefore, at a base level, he performed his job adequately.

The same cannot be said of Terry Francona. If the Red Sox collapse and miss the post-season entirely, or even if they limp to the wild card and get embarassed in three straight a la Pawtucket, the blame has to fall on the field manager, the guy hired to provide stewardship for a roster of abundant talent. A "replacement level" manager, if such a thing existed, ought to manage this team into the playoffs. If Francona can't do that, then he's below replacement level and ought to be fired.

I know there've been injuries. I know there've been disappointing individual performances. It doesn't matter. The Red Sox have enough starpower on this team that the struggles of Crawford and Lackey shouldn't be dragging everyone else down. A team doesn't need All-Stars at every position to win. A team can have as many as three blackholes in the lineup and still compete for a World Series. A team can have only two quality starting pitchers and qualify for post-season play. A team can have only two good bullpen arms (in Boston's case, there are three) and advance deep into October.

Talent isn't the issue. Every team, even Philadelphia, could be better in some area. The Red Sox are no exception. But they are good enough to make the playoffs, and good enough to go deep into the playoffs. If they fail to do so, it's on Francona.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : You mean that you won't care if the front office sits on their hands during the November free agency market. Did you feel that way last year or were you glad with the acquisitions and trades that they made then.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

I know I am on ignore for you, so I get as many free shots at you as I like. Question: how do people feel about the OVERALL job performance of our current GM in acquiring FA talent. He has had a few good move: Bedard, most recently and.....hmmmm who else was there again? Even Gonzalez, who might perform up to expectations one day, fattens up his numbers against inferior teams then tanks against most of the good ones like the Yankees. He brought us Lackey and Cameron and Crawford and Jenks and Morales and Albers and resigned Wakefield and Varitek. He signed Miller.
    How's he doing overall?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

When I see threads like this, I have to wonder how many of you were screaming for Theo to re-sign Jason Bay in 2010.  Or Sign Werth or Dunn in 2011?  How many of you were ready to sell the farm for Ubaldo Jimenez just weeks ago?  Stealing Gonzalez from the Padres alone should be worth years of mistakes, but add Salty, Aceves, Bedard, and until recently Albers & Miller to the mix, and it really takes a special breed of a$$-hole to be complaining right now.

Yesterday, Posada finished the game behind the plate for the Yankees.  Because of a personal grudge Girardi feels for Posada for taking his position fifteen years ago, Posada was not even allowed to practice with the other catchers this year.  Cervelli goes down with a concussion, and despite the fact that we are playing with expanded rosters, the Yankees do not bring up a replacement catcher, and Girardi allows the only other player who remotely resembles a catcher (Montero) to DH.  Martin gets hurt, and either Posada must enter the game behind the plate, or the Yankees lose the DH.  This is the manager of our arch-rivals.  You can complain about who should enter a game when, or who should pinch-hit for whom.  Until I see something within light-years of this kind of stupidity, I'm going to think Francona's doing just fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]When I see threads like this, I have to wonder how many of you were screaming for Theo to re-sign Jason Bay in 2010.  Or Sign Werth or Dunn in 2011?  How many of you were ready to sell the farm for Ubaldo Jimenez just weeks ago?  Stealing Gonzalez from the Padres alone should be worth years of mistakes, but add Salty, Aceves, Bedard, and until recently Albers & Miller to the mix, and it really takes a special breed of a$$-hole to be complaining right now. Yesterday, Posada finished the game behind the plate for the Yankees.  Because of a personal grudge Girardi feels for Posada for taking his position fifteen years ago, Posada was not even allowed to practice with the other catchers this year.  Cervelli goes down with a concussion, and despite the fact that we are playing with expanded rosters, the Yankees do not bring up a replacement catcher, and Girardi allows the only other player who remotely resembles a catcher (Montero) to DH.  Martin gets hurt, and either Posada must enter the game behind the plate, or the Yankees lose the DH.  This is the manager of our arch-rivals.  You can complain about who should enter a game when, or who should pinch-hit for whom.  Until I see something within light-years of this kind of stupidity, I'm going to think Francona's doing just fine.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Gonzalez was not "stolen" from the Pads. We gave up three top prospects to get him. And, in point of fact, he has been disappointing this year against the better teams. Look up his splits: only against the Rangers does he have a respectable OPS. Furthermore, Epstein gave us Lackey ($16M/y for five year-and he is the WORST SP IN BASEBALL THIS YEAR), Crawford ($18x8), Cameron, Lugo, Renteria, Miller, McDonald, Jenks....and so forth and so on. The TRUTH is that he is a lousy judge of talent. Showalter was right earlier this year when he said that Epstein would fail miserably with a small market team. He survives only because of a HUGE budget that allows for his many mistakes. As for Francona, he is a TERRIBLE field general who consistently makes the same mistakes over and over again, never learning. I would take Girardi, Maddon, or Scoscia, to name a few, far before our idiot manager.
    You can go on thinking our manager is just fine; and I will go on disagreeing with you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Gonzalez was not "stolen" from the Pads. We gave up three top prospects to get him. And, in point of fact, he has been disappointing this year against the better teams. Look up his splits: only against the Rangers does he have a respectable OPS. Furthermore, Epstein gave us Lackey ($16M/y for five year-and he is the WORST SP IN BASEBALL THIS YEAR), Crawford ($18x8), Cameron, Lugo, Renteria, Miller, McDonald, Jenks....and so forth and so on. The TRUTH is that he is a lousy judge of talent. Showalter was right earlier this year when he said that Epstein would fail miserably with a small market team. He survives only because of a HUGE budget that allows for his many mistakes. As for Francona, he is a TERRIBLE field general who consistently makes the same mistakes over and over again, never learning. I would take Girardi, Maddon, or Scoscia, to name a few, far before our idiot manager. You can go on thinking our manager is just fine; and I will go on disagreeing with you
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Respectable is a .286 avg, .781 OPS, which is how he has done against the Angels.  His numbers against Texas have been ridiculous (.417 / 1.361).  He has a .909 OPS against teams with winning records.  If you're complaining about Gonzalez, it puts all of your other complaints into perspective (i.e. the toilet).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Respectable is a .286 avg, .781 OPS, which is how he has done against the Angels.  His numbers against Texas have been ridiculous (.417 / 1.361).  He has a .909 OPS against teams with winning records.  If you're complaining about Gonzalez, it puts all of your other complaints into perspective (i.e. the toilet).
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

You cannot possibly be that stupid. You failed to do your homework. I said that he has been a disappointment against the better teams, meaning our potential competitors in the playoffs, the Rangers being the exception. Here are the FACTS:
    OPS vs the NYY: .675
    OPS vs the TIGERS: .290
    OPS vs the LAA: .781
    OPS vs the Rays: .677

Great players raise their game when their team needs it (think Bird, Pedro, Schilling). Gonzalez has been nearly a stiff against these teams.
    Do me a favor next time: do your homework before you post your nonsense

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Great players raise their game when their team needs it (think Bird, Pedro, Schilling). Gonzalez has been nearly a stiff against these teams.
    Do me a favor next time: do your homework before you post your nonsense

Honestly, Martinez wasn't that great in big games. Outside of one relief outing in the '99 ALDS against Cleveland, he was a very ordinary playoff pitcher. The Yankees owned him and he was not a critical component of the '04 championship team. He was good, not great. He reminds me of Roger Clemens in that regard: tremendous regular season pitcher, ordinary playoff pitcher.

For post-1980 Boston athletes, I agree with you on Bird and Schilling. Ortiz certainly makes the list. Brady and Viniateri belong on there. The current crop of Celtics players, despite two recent Finals appearances, don't have anyone who consistently rises to the occassion in big games. It's too early to tell with the Bruins, although there's a chance Tim Thomas could join the group with another strong campaign in 2011-12.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to new mngr & general mngr nxt year:
    [QUOTE]worst x & o mngr in baseball. incompetent. clueless. inept. awful. terrible. general mngr wastes to much money on punch & judy hitters. crawford= 140 mill. are you kidding me. lackey= 85 mill. worst pitcher in baseball. THEY BOTH NEED TO BE FIRED. IM TIRED OF THIS BLEEP
    Posted by jackripper[/QUOTE]

You do realize that things were much worse around here before Francona and Epstein came on board?  For a long time, going back to World War I.

Then again, maybe you don't know that and only started paying attention in October, 2004...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Honestly, Martinez wasn't that great in big games. Outside of one relief outing in the '99 ALDS against Cleveland, he was a very ordinary playoff pitcher. The Yankees owned him and he was not a critical component of the '04 championship team. He was good, not great. He reminds me of Roger Clemens in that regard: tremendous regular season pitcher, ordinary playoff pitcher.

For post-1980 Boston athletes, I agree with you on Bird and Schilling. Ortiz certainly makes the list. Brady and Viniateri belong on there. The current crop of Celtics players, despite two recent Finals appearances, don't have anyone who consistently rises to the occassion in big games. It's too early to tell with the Bruins, although there's a chance Tim Thomas could join the group with another strong campaign in 2011-12.

We could debate Martinez. My point was that overall Gonzalez has been disappointing in that he has failed his team against the better competition, except for the Rangers. He has a long way to go to earn the title "great".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : You cannot possibly be that stupid. You failed to do your homework. I said that he has been a disappointment against the better teams, meaning our potential competitors in the playoffs, the Rangers being the exception. Here are the FACTS: OPS vs the NYY: .675 OPS vs the TIGERS: .290 OPS vs the LAA: .781 OPS vs the Rays: .677 Great players raise their game when their team needs it (think Bird, Pedro, Schilling). Gonzalez has been nearly a stiff against these teams. Do me a favor next time: do your homework before you post your nonsense

Like making an OP admission of quitting despite the odds of Boston making the post season. Then trying to crawl out of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If the Red Sox fail to win a postseason game for the third straight year, would Theo Epstein be more likely to consider another GM job (such as the Cubs' opening)? Would ownership bring back Epstein if the Red Sox fail to win a postseason game for the third straight year?

If the Red Sox advance deep into the postseason, would Epstein be more or less likely to stay in Boston?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Pumpsie is a reincarnation of FenwayJack - the racist.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Like making an OP admission of quitting despite the odds of Boston making the post season. Then trying to crawl out of it.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Let me correct your misconception: the Sox ARE STILL FAVORED to win the WC. After that, the season is OVAH; the Fat Lady will sing, and they will all go home and watch the ALCS on TV.
    Hope that helps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Pumpsie is a reincarnation of FenwayJack - the racist.

Care to explain why that is? Just curious, Dick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : You cannot possibly be that stupid. You failed to do your homework. I said that he has been a disappointment against the better teams, meaning our potential competitors in the playoffs, the Rangers being the exception. Here are the FACTS: OPS vs the NYY: .675 OPS vs the TIGERS: .290 OPS vs the LAA: .781 OPS vs the Rays: .677 Great players raise their game when their team needs it (think Bird, Pedro, Schilling). Gonzalez has been nearly a stiff against these teams. Do me a favor next time: do your homework before you post your nonsense

You're a doctor, and you talk like that? lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Pumpsie is a reincarnation of FenwayJack - the racist. Care to explain why that is? Just curious, Dick.

Again, you're a doctor, and you post like that? lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

The quack doctor from Oregon?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Great players raise their game when their team needs it (think Bird, Pedro, Schilling). Gonzalez has been nearly a stiff against these teams. Do me a favor next time: do your homework before you post your nonsense Honestly, Martinez wasn't that great in big games. Outside of one relief outing in the '99 ALDS against Cleveland, he was a very ordinary playoff pitcher. The Yankees owned him and he was not a critical component of the '04 championship team. He was good, not great. He reminds me of Roger Clemens in that regard: tremendous regular season pitcher, ordinary playoff pitcher. For post-1980 Boston athletes, I agree with you on Bird and Schilling. Ortiz certainly makes the list. Brady and Viniateri belong on there. The current crop of Celtics players, despite two recent Finals appearances, don't have anyone who consistently rises to the occassion in big games. It's too early to tell with the Bruins, although there's a chance Tim Thomas could join the group with another strong campaign in 2011-12.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]
    In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Yes the yankees owned him after numerous injuries, the unbalanced schedule which pitted the two teams against each other 19 times a year after 2000 when both teams scouted each other to the point where the sox had their way fairly often against "the greatest closer ever" and several trips to the DL after 2001. There is also the little fact that for his first 3 years in Boston Tim Wakefield was the number 2 starter with the likes of Frank Castillo, Mark Portugal and a very washed up Ramon Martinez Rounding out the rotation!  The sox offense also provided little to no run support in Pedro's starts in those years(just over 3 runs a start) so the physical, Emotional and competitive pressure on Pedro's right arm was immense!  Clemens had Hurst, Viola and some good years from Boyd and in the 70's Tiant had Lee, Eckersly and Wise.  Pedro and Nomar essentially carried those late 90's sox teams to the postseason seemingly with virtually no significant help in '98 and '99! Think that doesn't take a toll?!  In case you have forgotten he came 1 batter away (A Chili Davis solo home run) from pitching a 17 strikeout perfect game at Yankee stadium in '99 in the heat of a pennant race, which remains the single greatest pitching performance I have ever seen and I saw both of Clemens' 20 K 0 walk games.  Remy says the same and he has forgotten more baseball than you or I will ever know! He also dominated the eventual world champs in the 1 ALCS win the sox had in '99 So the yankees hardly "owned him" for his whole red sox career.  So before you post your "nonsense" do a little research!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Again, you're a doctor, and you post like that? lol
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I am only a doctor at work. I am a pediatrician.
    Post like what? I NEVER initiate personal attacks on other posters; I do feel free to respond to them in kind. I have no idea what you find offensive

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : We all know that Francona had a plan for the game on 9/10/2011. The problem is that he made the plan in February of 2011. His scedule for resting players was also formulated in February. That's why we see him rest a hot hitter for no apparent reason.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Bosox1941, you and Jack the Ripper are speaking my language on  that poor excuse for a field manager.  The guy is totally out of sorts and makes the same mistakes over and over again.  For some reason he never seems to learn from his mistakes.  Whether it is sheer stubborness or just plain stupidity he seems clueless on the strategy front, and, worse, he has turned his team into a bunch of sniveling babies and excuse mongers.  He needs to go along with Epstein.  Their usefulness is at an end and unless that happens we will be talking about this for the next three or four y ears.  We need a fresh start and someone who will kick a little a!s in the dugout and a GM who knows how to go out and build a successful pitching staff, especially in the bullpen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new mngr & general mngr nxt year : Bosox1941, you and Jack the Ripper are speaking my language on  that poor excuse for a field manager.  The guy is totally out of sorts and makes the same mistakes over and over again.  For some reason he never seems to learn from his mistakes.  Whether it is sheer stubborness or just plain stupidity he seems clueless on the strategy front, and, worse, he has turned his team into a bunch of sniveling babies and excuse mongers.  He needs to go along with Epstein.  Their usefulness is at an end and unless that happens we will be talking about this for the next three or four y ears.  We need a fresh start and someone who will kick a little a!s in the dugout and a GM who knows how to go out and build a successful pitching staff, especially in the bullpen.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

Seabeachfred only comes to this forum during losing streaks. His reputation from Sawxheads preceded him. A genuine troll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Here's some homework for you - the last time we faced the Tigers was May 29th.  They were a .500 team and six games back in the central division.  Stupid is trying to cast that as a defining game. You remember that regular season game in '87 when Bird scored only 14 points against Indiana?  Neither do I.