New Poll: Bard as Starter. What think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: New Poll: Bard as Starter. What think?

par I like the list you have assembled--BenCh is a slow mover and I'm affraid the potential may be gone before Ben gets permission from JH to spend some money.
    I support Bard trying to become a starter; that's a good move.
    I feel they can save some money by making Aceves the closer--he has the make-up.
    Have Jenks a secondary closer with the responsibility of set-up.
    I still want Beckett moved--I feel Lester, Buch, Bard, Harrison / Lewis from Texas and Doubrount would be a good starting 5.

Pen Aceves, Jenks, Hill when he comes back, Morales, Atch, Albers and two signings may be sufficient.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I wouldn't object to trading Beckett, but I would want some substantial return, perhaps a really good power hitting RFer and a AA pitcher with some upside.  As much as he was part of the problem last year, and faded in September due to poor conditioning, which has been an annual problem, I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Par what I think Ben has to do is put together a game plan to move Beckett. Teams are not going to inquire on someone getting $17 M for the next few years.
    Only certain teams will be players--they've got to be the teams that are close-not there yet but close enough. 
    Perhaps the Cubs if they get Prince. We get Garza, a prospect and Soriano for Beckett, Weilland, and Kalish.
    Perhaps the Brewers for Beckett and Youk for Marcum and Hart.

Those two teams, if the dominos fall properly, should be prepared for being potential trade partners.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

He's really only got the fast ball.  If he can develop 3 more pitches I'm ok with it.  But I doubt that he can make it happen for him to last successfully through 6 innings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to New Poll: Bard as Starter. What think?:
    [QUOTE]From Monday night's posting by Peter Abraham:  http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/12/why_using_danie.html The Red Sox are warming to the idea of turning accomplished set-up man Daniel Bard into a starting pitcher, a plan that gained traction when the righthander told manager Bobby Valentine today that would be his preference. OK, campers.  Here we go again.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

With Masterson I always felt he could become a solid starter.  I'm not feeling the same about Bard.  Hopefully I'm wrong or we just keep him in the pen.  Aceves may be a better choice if we are that desperate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

1. Trading Beckett, your best pitcher from 2011, is stupid.

2. I hate the idea of starting Bard and Aceves... not the least of which because when you stretch guys out in the ML they pretty much top out at 150 innings. That would leave the Sox missing starters in... wait for it... September.

Must we Bruce Chen, again?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Obviously Beckett has the potential to be the Sox best pitcher. Beckett has disrespected everyone and now he has disrespected his new manager. The guy needs to be traded for fair and just compensation.

Let's see how the fans respond in his first Fenway appearance. He has a combined 4.04 ERA since coming to the Sox. He had a very good ERA last season--no question. 

Get ready for a pitcher that is a starter by the name of Beckett that has thrown for less than 200 innings three of the last four years. I'm not thrilled about Bard starting--but if the Sox need him to, he said he would. He does have three pitches he can throw for strikes and will do fine as a starter.

I also, along with Bobby V and others, find Beckett's slow pace with runners on annoying---I'm only one other person. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Bard needs to stay exactly where he is as a set-up man for at least one more season. He's not ready mentally to close yet, and now that Paps is gone we have no late inning relievers we can count on except Aceves. Whether starting could be an option for next season will depend on how Dice K looks in August and how the free agent market looks next winter. But my gut tells me he's our closer of the future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I voted 4 and it all comes back to the fact that I just don't think he is starter material. I will be happy if I am wrong but I doubt I am.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

And by the way Aceves is a totally different question almost apples to oranges but  l'll say it is like comparing a Macintosch Apple to a Yellow Delicious. They may be apples but that is where the comparisons end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: New Poll: Bard as Starter. What think?:
    [QUOTE]good job parhunter1 I see nothing wrong with trying aceves or bard as a starter but not both in the same yr
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

First: 12/30/2010
    Last: 12/7/2011
    In response to "Re: New Poll: Bard as Starter. What think?":
    I think you should start him and then Bard can go the way of Joba - ineffective year, messed up mind and finally TJ surgery.
    Posted by jesseyeric
    Which one is it Zac???

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

You both obviously have different views on that Yankee thing.