New York Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: New York Yankees

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Here is the reality: New York is the financial capital of the world. New York is the media capital of the world. Except for Hollywood, New York is the entertainment capital of the world. The major sports have their headquarters in New York. I wonder why ?  Very many of the top athletes desire to play in New York. Very few leave there willingly. The Yankees have a huge revenue stream from gate receipts, TV and radio. The Yankees have been more than willing to spend whatever it takes to stay on top. This formula has worked for them, as 27 World Championships will attest. The New York Yankee fans have become quite arrogant about this success. This is why we hate them. This is why many fans around the country hate them. But we cannot deny their success. The reality is that money does indeed talk. The small market, small time Charlies of MLB will only have occasional moments in the sun. The big spending Yankees will always be the team to beat. If you don't realize this, there is a bridge in New York that you might be interested in purchasing. Reality is not always enjoyable for us fans, but it is reality. There is no getting away from it. 

The umpires' headquarters are in New York. Just sayin' since you left that out. Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

You have a NYY problem

Oh, I have a HUGE NYY problem. I don't think anyone on this board would argue with that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

And FTR who would have thought we would ever have seen the day when Seattle is outbidding NY by $50 million? And for the future face of the Yankees' Cano to boot? If he takes their offer, and there's a good chance he will since he didn't send people to Seattle, he actually went there himself, my day is made.

If they told me to hand over Ellsbury, and they will lose Cano, I would have went for that in a heartbeat. That, to me, makes the Ellsbury loss worth it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Here is the reality: New York is the financial capital of the world. New York is the media capital of the world. Except for Hollywood, New York is the entertainment capital of the world. The major sports have their headquarters in New York. I wonder why ?  Very many of the top athletes desire to play in New York. Very few leave there willingly. The Yankees have a huge revenue stream from gate receipts, TV and radio. The Yankees have been more than willing to spend whatever it takes to stay on top. This formula has worked for them, as 27 World Championships will attest. The New York Yankee fans have become quite arrogant about this success. This is why we hate them. This is why many fans around the country hate them. But we cannot deny their success. The reality is that money does indeed talk. The small market, small time Charlies of MLB will only have occasional moments in the sun. The big spending Yankees will always be the team to beat. If you don't realize this, there is a bridge in New York that you might be interested in purchasing. Reality is not always enjoyable for us fans, but it is reality. There is no getting away from it. 

The umpires' headquarters are in New York. Just sayin' since you left that out. Wink

I would not go so far as to say the umpires are corrupt, but I would say that certain things are done in sports that definitely favor New York franchises. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I would not go so far as to say the umpires are corrupt, but I would say that certain things are done in sports that definitely favor New York franchises. 

Money talks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

They have talent, but no more than a lot of other teams.  Right now, without Cano, they bsically have an IF that played virtually no games last year.

A nice defensive OF with some speed, that hit very few HRs.

Their #3 SP missed all of last year, and I don't know who #4/5 is.

And an excellent setup guy moving into the closer role.

Forgot to mention that set up guy has had problems closing in the past. But Yanks will do what they always do throw $ at the problem. Cashman between rock and hard place, great pressure from ownership to keep team in playoffs and win WS, while his farm system is not producing much. Ells will be in NY longer than Cash, if George were still alive Cash would have been gone already!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

garyhow's :Forgot to mention that set up guy has had problems closing in the past.

Joebreidey:And an excellent setup guy moving into the closer role.

GM gary & JB...i agree that he's had scuffles, but let's consider for a minute that we're talking about the same route that Mo took to the role, and that he wasn't exactly lights out from the ouset, like DRob he took some lumps to...now i'm not saying that he's going to morph into the Mo that we saw, just saying it's possible he can settle in and do the job very well.....of course he'll have to prove that.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't care how much money they have, the luxury tax is going to take its toll, and these deals will hamper future opportunities to fill holes in their roster.

14     15     16     17     18     19     20     21

ARod     25M  21M   20M  20M (+$6M for #660, 714, 755, 756)

Sab       23M  23M   25M  25M(option w $5M buyout)

Tex       22.5  22.5  22.5 

Ells       22M  22M  22M  22M  22M  22M  22M

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

McCann 17M 17M 17M  17M  17M  15n (option w/ no buyout)

Jeter       8M (Player option with $3M buyout)'

Suzuki    6.5M

It's amazing that just 7 guys are going to be paid over $158M in 2014.

ARod might not even play, and if he does: so what?

CC has to come back around or else...

Tex was in a long steady decline before all the injuries started happening.

Wells and Soriano are both capable of falling off a cliff this year.

McCann has been affected by injuries, but his last 2 seasons do not look worthy of $17M.

Ellsbury was our 9th best OPS guy in 2013. I repeat: 9th best! (Players with 225+ PAs)

Add to this the aging Jeter & Suzuki at over $14M combined, and I don't see a pretty picture at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

That was very inspiring...

Name one pitcher they can buy that'll make them the team to beat, this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

Suzuki    6.5M

Wells and Sori equal about 12M between the 2. Thats not a big deal. But its still 140M this year between those players. Minus whatever happens to ARod and plus if they sign Cano. So, since I believe Cano will sign back with NY, it should be at about 140 if ARod doesnt play and 160+ if he does.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

Suzuki    6.5M

Wells and Sori equal about 12M between the 2. Thats not a big deal. But its still 140M this year between those players. Minus whatever happens to ARod and plus if they sign Cano. So, since I believe Cano will sign back with NY, it should be at about 140 if ARod doesnt play and 160+ if he does.

Thanks. I forgot about Wells and Soriano's deals being mostly paid by their ex-teams, but yes, $140M for just 7 guys is shocking.

They do lose Wells, Soriano, Jeter and Suzuki after 2014, but that's only about $27M in savings and 4 slots to fill.

They basically have 5 guys for about $105M for 2 more years after 2014.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

Suzuki    6.5M

Thanks. I forgot about Wells and Soriano's deals being mostly paid by their ex-teams, but yes, $140M for just 7 guys is shocking.

They do lose Wells, Soriano, Jeter and Suzuki after 2014, but that's only about $27M in savings and 4 slots to fill.

AND they gain that $$ right back in 2015 because ARod will be back for sure. -Jeter(12M) -Sori&Wells(10M) -Suzuki(6.5M) +ARod(25M) and what happens with Cano this year would make that number go right back up to 130M+

Either way, they are certainly not setting this team up for long term continued success and an all around healthy organization from top to bottom.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Jon Heyman is reporting they're nearing a deal with Kuroda...so there's that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

AND they gain that $$ right back in 2015 because ARod will be back for sure. -Jeter(12M) -Sori&Wells(10M) -Suzuki(6.5M) +ARod(25M) and what happens with Cano this year would make that number go right back up to 130M+

FTR wells/ sori cost 7.5 this yr and that ends their contracts

Either way, they are certainly not setting this team up for long term continued success and an all around healthy organization from top to bottom.

it's been working for a while

sox had a great yr last yr and won 97

nyy have avg 95 wins since 95

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN 10h

Person close to Cano said he's upset with how much Ellsbury got compared to his offer. NYY not feeling optimistic but prepared to move on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Person close to Cano said he's upset with how much Ellsbury got compared to his offer. NYY not feeling optimistic but prepared to move on.

don't know if it's credible, but a report is circling that the M's deal has fallen through

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Hiroki Kuroda - S - Yankees

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees are "getting closer" to a one-year deal with Hiroki Kuroda for about $16 million.

Kuroda was either going to re-sign with the Yankees or go back to Japan, and it appears he'll stick around in the Bronx for another year. The right-hander posted a 3.31 ERA and 150/43 K/BB ratio over 201 1/3 innings this past season. Kuroda will turn 39 in February and did really struggle at the end of the season, so it's possible he's at the end of the line. Bringing him back for one year is a worthy gamble, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

don't know if it's credible, but a report is circling that the M's deal has fallen through

reports are now conflicting

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Cashman took over in 98 yes? How's their Farm System going into 2014? They have painted themselves into a corner, they have to sign Players.

I Thought one time good GM, but not anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Cashman took over in 98 yes? How's their Farm System going into 2014? They have painted themselves into a corner, they have to sign Players.

I Thought one time good GM, but not anymore.

hey BSu...it's mainly that they have a lot of talent in the minors, but it's mostly all at the lower levels...some, but not much in the MLB-ready dept, which i suspect is your point being they have to make hay using others avenues, i understand the scope of your question...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

Suzuki    6.5M

You guys can concern yourselves with the money numbers.  Steinbrenner does not have to worry about it. Like most owners, he does not like to pay the Luxury tax. But he will spend what it takes to keep the Yankees on top.  This has always been the case. They have always had long term success. They always get what they want. The Yankees are probably worth somewhere between two and three billion dollars.  The numbers you guys are concerned about are just peanuts .  Obviously, none of these players are worth the money. But that is not the point. The small time Charlies can worry about the long term, the money, the length of contracts, the minor league prospects, the draft choices , etc.  In the end, money talks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

The object of the game is to score more runs than the opponent. Whether it is pitching, hitting or defense. I don't need to name pitchers for you.  The point is , they will spend what it takes to win. That does not mean that they will win every year. But they win more than anyone else does. They are no smarter than other teams. Money is the difference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

The object of the game is to score more runs than the opponent. Whether it is pitching, hitting or defense. I don't need to name pitchers for you.  The point is , they will spend what it takes to win. That does not mean that they will win every year. But they win more than anyone else does. They are no smarter than other teams. Money is the difference.

Your point is invalid.  apparently there is a limit.  buh-bye robbie.

Sections
Shortcuts