New York Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: New York Yankees

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Here is the reality: New York is the financial capital of the world. New York is the media capital of the world. Except for Hollywood, New York is the entertainment capital of the world. The major sports have their headquarters in New York. I wonder why ?  Very many of the top athletes desire to play in New York. Very few leave there willingly. The Yankees have a huge revenue stream from gate receipts, TV and radio. The Yankees have been more than willing to spend whatever it takes to stay on top. This formula has worked for them, as 27 World Championships will attest. The New York Yankee fans have become quite arrogant about this success. This is why we hate them. This is why many fans around the country hate them. But we cannot deny their success. The reality is that money does indeed talk. The small market, small time Charlies of MLB will only have occasional moments in the sun. The big spending Yankees will always be the team to beat. If you don't realize this, there is a bridge in New York that you might be interested in purchasing. Reality is not always enjoyable for us fans, but it is reality. There is no getting away from it. 

That was very inspiring...

Name one pitcher they can buy that'll make them the team to beat, this year.

The object of the game is to score more runs than the opponent. Whether it is pitching, hitting or defense. I don't need to name pitchers for you.  The point is , they will spend what it takes to win. That does not mean that they will win every year. But they win more than anyone else does. They are no smarter than other teams. Money is the difference.

Your point is invalid.  apparently there is a limit.  buh-bye robbie.

My point is valid. There is always a limit to anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

maybe, but this is the first time in my life i have seen a steinbrenner owned team not come out the winner if a bidding war.  especially for one of their own homegrown players. 

personally i am shocked and expect George has turned over.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 14m

If the Yankees sign Drew he'd be playing another position for the first time in his career. Assuming Jeter still plays SS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

This just might be your father's 1988 or 89 Yankees playing next year...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the Yankees are healthy, they will be better next year.  They won't be a dominant team, but they will be good.

But they still have two huge questions marks, they are still old and injury prone and who knows what they get out of that rotation. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And I think the odds of them having a clean bill of health and having a bounce back year from Sabathia/Pineada are not all too great.  

Personally I think they make a strong push for Tanaka.  Who knows what they get from Kuroda who is 39 and looked like he started to break down last year.  That leaves Nova and Phelps, who both have talent but if CC looks like he did last year those guys are your'e #1-3 pitchers....that's scary if you are NY. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

maybe, but this is the first time in my life i have seen a steinbrenner owned team not come out the winner if a bidding war.  especially for one of their own homegrown players. 

yeah NC

we all know if nyy gave him the 10 yrs

U would be the 1st 2 call it a win 4 ny

R U old enough to remember andy going to astros

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

And I think the odds of them having a clean bill of health and having a bounce back year from Sabathia/Pineada are not all too great.  

Personally I think they make a strong push for Tanaka.  Who knows what they get from Kuroda who is 39 and looked like he started to break down last year.  That leaves Nova and Phelps, who both have talent but if CC looks like he did last year those guys are your'e #1-3 pitchers....that's scary if you are NY. 

point taken

but it's not that hard to imagine a one time quality lefty like CC

making an adjustment and still be a solid starter

lefties have 9 lives ;-)

as far as being scary

it's dec 6 and now they have all that extra cano money 2 spend

but yeah if tanaka doesn't get posted & signed it will sting

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

14     15     16     17     18     19     20     21

ARod     25M  21M   20M  20M (+$6M for #660, 714, 755, 756)

Sab       23M  23M   25M  25M(option w $5M buyout)

Tex       22.5  22.5  22.5 

Ells       22M  22M  22M  22M  22M  22M  22M

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

McCann 17M 17M 17M  17M  17M  15n (option w/ no buyout)

Jeter       8M (Player option with $3M buyout)'

Suzuki    6.5M

Wells and Sori equal about 12M between the 2. Thats not a big deal. But its still 140M this year between those players. Minus whatever happens to ARod and plus if they sign Cano. So, since I believe Cano will sign back with NY, it should be at about 140 if ARod doesnt play and 160+ if he does.

Thanks. I forgot about Wells and Soriano's deals being mostly paid by their ex-teams, but yes, $140M for just 7 guys is shocking.

They do lose Wells, Soriano, Jeter and Suzuki after 2014, but that's only about $27M in savings and 4 slots to fill.

They basically have 5 guys for about $105M for 2 more years after 2014.

AND they gain that $$ right back in 2015 because ARod will be back for sure. -Jeter(12M) -Sori&Wells(10M) -Suzuki(6.5M) +ARod(25M) and what happens with Cano this year would make that number go right back up to 130M+

Either way, they are certainly not setting this team up for long term continued success and an all around healthy organization from top to bottom.

You guys can concern yourselves with the money numbers.  Steinbrenner does not have to worry about it. Like most owners, he does not like to pay the Luxury tax. But he will spend what it takes to keep the Yankees on top.  This has always been the case. They have always had long term success. They always get what they want. The Yankees are probably worth somewhere between two and three billion dollars.  The numbers you guys are concerned about are just peanuts .  Obviously, none of these players are worth the money. But that is not the point. The small time Charlies can worry about the long term, the money, the length of contracts, the minor league prospects, the draft choices , etc.  In the end, money talks.

The Yanks do not have an unlimited spending budget.

We both realize they can spend more than anyone else, if they want, but there is a limit. If not, why is Cano leaving? After all, it's just "peanuts".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They are no smarter than other teams. Money is the difference.

Tell that to the Rays and A's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

yeah NC

we all know if nyy gave him the 10 yrs

U would be the 1st 2 call it a win 4 ny

R U old enough to remember andy going to astros

i'm old enough to remember superballs coming out of nettles bat.
    there was a reason Pettitte went to houston.  do you know?

(here's a hint:  it wasnt a bidding war)....  tired of teaching.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

they have 7 guys making up 85% of the payroll of which includes only 1 pitcher

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Yankees as currently constructed are a 65 win team. Worry about what the Rays do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Wells    21M

Sori      18M

Suzuki    6.5M

what a waste.......................................

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

according to my #'s the yankees have $5 mil left to spend and still need a Starter, a closer and a reliever.........if ARod is suspended for the year that opens up $25 mil so that would be $30 mil for a Starter, a Closer, another reliever and a 3rd basemen.  This is signicant.  Their pitching is a mess and they need a 3b who can hit for power and the days of paying $12 mil to a back up 3b are over for now.  In addition, they may also need to bring in another bat for their most frequent DH unless they plan on using Soriano there F/T....Remember, Overbay, Haefner, and Soriano carried that offense last year and 2 of them are gone and no way Soriano repeats.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I like how things are shaping up in New York, not a better .500 team in the league. They have secured third place ahead of the O's and Jays. Good for them. Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

according to my #'s the yankees have $5 mil left to spend and still need a Starter, a closer and a reliever.........if ARod is suspended for the year that opens up $25 mil so that would be $30 mil for a Starter, a Closer, another reliever and a 3rd basemen.  This is signicant.  Their pitching is a mess and they need a 3b who can hit for power and the days of paying $12 mil to a back up 3b are over for now.  In addition, they may also need to bring in another bat for their most frequent DH unless they plan on using Soriano there F/T....Remember, Overbay, Haefner, and Soriano carried that offense last year and 2 of them are gone and no way Soriano repeats.......

Tanaka ~$20 mil

Youks ~4 mil

Reliever ~$6 mil

Sound about right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Most NYY fans don't regret Cano - Mr. Hustle, leaving. It's just too much, even if it was Babe Ruth, which he isn't. They didn't want another ARod or Pujols type contract. I also think they had no interest in Cano for awhile, beyond the offer on the table. This may be why Ellsbury was signed, although that contract was excessive too; it was a harbinger for things to come.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Most NYY fans don't regret Cano - Mr. Hustle, leaving. It's just too much, even if it was Babe Ruth, which he isn't. I also think they had no interest in Cano for awhile, beyond the offer on the table.

I agree...I don't think his teammates are all that devastated that "Hollywood" Cano is leaving either, although I'm sure they'll say the "politically correct" thing.  Many people thought the Cardinals losing Pujols would be "devastating."  How's that working out?

Just an opinion based on things I've heard, but to me, Cano is just another "stat guy" who lacked passion for the game.  Ask some people in the game who they'd rather have on the team, Pedroia or Cano?  

There's still a lot of talent on that roster and they are far from done.  Anyone who sleeps on this team and doesn't think they can contend next year isn't seeing the big picture, and didn't watch the Sox this year.  As a Sox fan, I was actually hoping the Yankees re-signed Cano.  Again, just a hunch, but I think the Yankees will benefit from not signing Cano in the short term, as well as the long term.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 5m

BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.

The Yankees have agreed with Carlos Beltran on a three-year deal, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports (Twitter link).  The contract is worth $45MM, tweets Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports.  Beltran is represented by Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Yankees have issued contracts totaling 311 million dollars this offseason, fiscal resposibility has finally landed in the Bronx, and just think they didn't re-sign Granderson or Cano can you just imagine what they would have spent???????????? Oh wait they are not done spending yet! They don't have a closer or the two starting pitchers they still need.....Bleacher seats are now going to be 175.00 a seat per game!!!! No more cheapseats in the Bronx!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

The Yankees have issued contracts totaling 311 million dollars this offseason, fiscal resposibility has finally landed in the Bronx, and just think they didn't re-sign Granderson or Cano can you just imagine what they would have spent???????????? Oh wait they are not done spending yet! They don't have a closer or the two starting pitchers they still need.....Bleacher seats are now going to be 175.00 a seat per game!!!! No more cheapseats in the Bronx!!!

don't U feel a tad silly for saying that

considering that even with all this nyy spending you talk about

it's still cheaper to go to a game in the bronx vs the fens

others can but I can't blame nyy for having the 2nd highest prices

but it seems kinda odd for a sox fan w/highest prices to call them on it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Edited for Kuroda signing...

Wells    25M > (6M)

Sori      19M  > (5M)

Kuroda   16M

Beltran  15M  15M 15M

Suzuki    6.5M

$171M for just 9 guys is shocking.

$141M for 7 guys (6 for at least 3 years).

They do lose Wells, Soriano, Jeter and Suzuki after 2014, but that's only about $25M in savings and 4 slots to fill.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Wells    25M > (6M)

Sori      19M  > (5M)

Beltran  15M  15M 15M

Suzuki    6.5M

$155M for just 8 guys is shocking.

$125M for 6 guys for at least 3 years.

They do lose Wells, Soriano, Jeter and Suzuki after 2014, but that's only about $25M in savings and 4 slots to fill.

Pretty convincing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Edited for Kuroda signing...

Wells    25M > (6M)

Sori      19M  > (5M)

Kuroda   16M

Beltran  15M  15M 15M

Suzuki    6.5M

$171M for just 9 guys is shocking.

$141M for 7 guys (6 for at least 3 years).

In all seriousness, Moon, why would they have 4 slots to fill?  They would still have 3 good starting outfielders in Ells, Gardner and Beltran, so Ichiro, Soriano & Wells could be replaced by a 4th outfielder type at minimum dollars, and if Jeter decides to retire (doubtful), they have that super defensive SS that you're really high on, Brandon Ryan, signed through 2015, don't they?  

Sections
Shortcuts