Newly acquired Holt and evaluating of prospects.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Newly acquired Holt and evaluating of prospects.

First, I'm not a true fan of baseball, I'm a Red Sox fan so I admit there's a lot about the details I don't know. My question relates to Holt, acquired from the Pirates. His minor league stats seem to be very good, and it seems as if he played well when called up this past September. So why isn't a guy like this given a legit shot? I've read that he may get a look as Pedroia's backup, and obviously I wouldn't suggest he replace DP, but could this guy have been at least as  good as Drew at ss? I know Drew was signed first, but the deal with Pitt must've been on the table in some form, and I assume the Sox brass was familiar with Holt at that time. So why overpay Drew when the possibility of someone cheaper was out there, especially  considering ss wasn't a huge area of need? For what its worth, I do think the Sox will be better than some people think, and I predict (as I've incorrectly predicted for the last three years) that Buchholz has his true breakout season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Newly acquired Holt and evaluating of prospects.

This guy had given a legit shot this past season when he got called up to the big league.  He was so good in AA and AAA, he got a Sept. callup and played almost everyday.  I don't think he's going to be a superstar or next DP in Boston but stats speak for itself and he looks like he's going to be a good player in the big league.  He's going to have a tough fight with Iglesias in AAA next season.  But Holts does good defense, then I believe he has advantage over Iggy.  Holt makes Iggy expendable so Iggy might be a good trade bait if Ben wants to start something up.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He had 51 errors at SS in what amounted to 1.5 seasons, working out to be ~ 34 a year, though I don't know the condition of minor laegue fields.  His 49/29 career SB/CS suggests not much speed.

OTOH, he's always had an excellent OBP.  I'm surprised they didn't give him more of a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He had 51 errors at SS in what amounted to 1.5 seasons, working out to be ~ 34 a year, though I don't know the condition of minor laegue fields.  His 49/29 career SB/CS suggests not much speed.

OTOH, he's always had an excellent OBP.  I'm surprised they didn't give him more of a chance.

[/QUOTE]

In reading a scouting report http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/9/5/3294276/rookie-review-brock-holt-2b-pittsburgh-pirates it says that he is better suited for second base because of range but "wont kill you" if you have to play him at SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I hear different reports about him being better for 2b as well. He looks as if he can hit the ball though. Solid AVG and OBP. Not a lot of power, but gets the bat on the ball. he could be used in a trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Thanks for the insight guys. Was just curious if there was something I was missing. It's a little strange to me that baseball seems to be the only sport where guys don't get a real shot until early to mid twenties, unless your Harper or Trout of course.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to scauma09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight guys. Was just curious if there was something I was missing. It's a little strange to me that baseball seems to be the only sport where guys don't get a real shot until early to mid twenties, unless your Harper or Trout of course.

[/QUOTE]

Theres a lot more to it than the other sports. I think they all have a certain skill level, but baseball takes a bit more.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i loved what i've read about holt so far. should provide us great depth in case we have a slew of injuries in the IF. Also he can provide us some decent returns in a trade if we decide to go that route. I gotta admit though, guys with great contact bats who can spray the ball all over the field are my favorite. I'm sure Holt will play for us at some point this year. i'm excited to see him in action if not i'll catch him and the rest of the crop when the pawsox come into town

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Holt has one very important middle infield profile for New England's elite Red Sox fans, and that's skin color.

[/QUOTE]

JERK!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Another good trade chip, IMO.  Maybe he becomes the utility infielder, and certainly if Pedroia gets injured again, he would be a decent replacement.  Be nice to hang onto him for that purpose.  But the middle infield is actually crowded at this point as is the 40-man roster.  With Holt's resume, I think he could be part of a bigger package to land a good starter, which is this team's biggest need if Napoli signs (if Napoli does not sign, perhaps he is used to bring back a 1Bman).  If Ben is looking to trade for a top OFer, as some here are proposing, perhaps he will be used in that trade. 

It's just hard to see him ever playing fulltime for the Sox with Pedroia blocking him, and he projects as a fulltime player for some team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

Theres a lot more to it than the other sports. I think they all have a certain skill level, but baseball takes a bit more.

[/QUOTE]

That's it;  another way to put it is that some other sports (basketball, American football, rugby) have a much bigger emphasis on size, strength and fitness which generally arrive earlier than skill/experience and leaves earlier hence more great young players, and fewer great old players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

MLB.com already has moved Brock Holt to No. 20 on its list of Top 20 Red Sox prospects:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/#list=pit

I can't find any site that ranked Holt among Pittsburgh's Top 20 prospects, but Holt may indeed have been flying under the radar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I got it Iggy can play the field and Holt can bat for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Can he play 1B?

(LOL)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Look when you have a guy named Drew playing SS and Pedroia playing 2nd. Best to have a pretty good backup in the wings because you know these guys will miss some games due to injuries. Take away Pedro C's numbers vs. Yanks away and he's probably not the answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look when you have a guy named Drew playing SS and Pedroia playing 2nd. Best to have a pretty good backup in the wings because you know these guys will miss some games due to injuries. Take away Pedro C's numbers vs. Yanks away and he's probably not the answer.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if you take away Pedro's numbers against the Yanquis ... you take away one of the few bright spots of last season.   So why take them away?  Heck ... if we sgtart choosing to eliminate this batch of stats or another,  we can make almost anything work to our liking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

a) a "guy named 'Drew'"?  What are your views on Blacks, gays, Jews, Japanese, mixed-race Japanese/Iranians, Dutch, Dutch Antillians, Australians, and Cubans?

b) 157, 154, 75, 159, 141

c) Pedro Ciriaco?  Not fit (performance-wise only, seems a good guy and I hope he makes the leap) to shine S Drew's shoes, not fit to to wash Pedroia's smalls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Holt, if they keep him, is more than suitable to replace Pedroia when he injures himself again.

Iglesias, if they keep him, is more than suitable to replace Drew if he gets injured again.

Ciriaco, as much as I pulled for him last season, is the backup utility guy at all infield positions (except 1B).  He is not a starter for any team hoping to be a .500 or better club, IMO.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Only after building a good starting nine, I should think.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It shouldn't matter what order you build a team as long as it is complete by the time the season matters.

We have quality starters at every position except 1B, LF and SS (debatable), but how many of our FT players can really be called reliable solid championship caliber players?

Pedey, Papi...

Cue: sound of crickets

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It shouldn't matter what order you build a team as long as it is complete by the time the season matters.

We have quality starters at every position except 1B, LF and SS (debatable), but how many of our FT players can really be called reliable solid championship caliber players?

Pedey, Papi...

[/QUOTE]

By the same token did anyone know that Bellhorn, Millar, Muellar, Foulke, Lowe, and Nixon were FT reliable solid championship players back in 04? Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of the parts. No one ever knows how a player will stand up under the pressure of the big stage. Just ask Yanks about Swisher and Arod. As for 2013 RS never know how a Middlebrooks, Drew, Salty, Buchholz, etc might perform in a big spot. 1st step is to get back there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedey, Papi...

[/QUOTE]

By the same token did anyone know that Bellhorn, Millar, Muellar, Foulke, Lowe, and Nixon were FT reliable solid championship players back in 04? Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of the parts. No one ever knows how a player will stand up under the pressure of the big stage. Just ask Yanks about Swisher and Arod. As for 2013 RS never know how a Middlebrooks, Drew, Salty, Buchholz, etc might perform in a big spot. 1st step is to get back there.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we may be surprised by some of our players this year, but after spending nearly $70M a year (counting Naps), I think we should have been looking at better odds for 2013 or better set up for 2014 and beyond.

Sections
Shortcuts