NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : If he wins the mvp vote, I think he's a superstar.How many guys win multiple MVP titles? Very few. He is putting up huge numbers this year and has already earned the superstar title after this year in my opinion. He has also led the league in SB before. And hit over .300 before. He was an emerging star. His numbers overall have been comparable to Crawford's and now he has topped Crawford's best year. If Crawford got $140 mil, I think he was considered a superstar. In Crawford's best year, in 2010, he had 62 XBH, far fewer than Ellbury. Ellsbury is making Crawford's last year look mediocre. It's semantics. He could tank next year and lose the moniker but this year, IMO, he is a superstar player.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I don't put as much credence in awards as you do, Boom.
    Many are by-product of popularity contests.
    And too many members of press have bias which alters voting.

Nor do I use the term superstar lightly. In fact, IMO, only Pujois is a legit superstar. I'm going by production, not salary, as many players are over-paid.

Aroid will never fit the criteria because he's an admitted user. No telling how much of his production was needle-induced.

AGONE has SS status, but needs to have a post-season resume to match.
    Verlander needs multiple seasons like 2011 to qualify. Same with Jake.

Halladay is upper echelon. In my book, huge difference between star quality and elite level of super-stardom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mick711. Show mick711's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

In Response to NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    Rickey Henderson's best year ever for RBI = 74. Ellsbury now has 98 with quite a few games left. Has any leadoff batter ever had more than 100 RBI? Rickey Henderson never had more than 64 XBH in a year. Ellsbury now has 78 folks, with games left to play. He is a PLUS 15.6 UZR/150 and is now a 8.7 WAR, with a valuation of $39.2 MIL for his year SO FAR. He should edge out Bautista for the MVP vote if it were held today. He's been that good ladies and gentlemen. Ellsbury is having one of the greatest year's ever for a leadoff batter.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

"for a leadoff hitter"? who cares? that is meaningless. if he was batting 9th, you could say he is having the one of the greatest years ever for a #9 hitter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Players with numbers, like Ells is having this year , if they are repeated are on their way to Cooperstown. Obviously , he has a long way to go, nut he is headed in the right direction.
    He must have gotten into the weights , maybe from the rehab from the cracked ribs last year, whatever the reason, his bat has been quicker, than previous seasons, he looks like a man totally focused at the plate. A budding superstar.

Since Theo gave Krawford $142 million, what is Ellbury worth?  You have to laugh really. Boras must be salivating, about the money he is going to make from Ellsbury when he gets to FA. And the Red Sox FO must be dreading that day, when they have to deal with a FA Jacoby Ellsbury.

Thanks to good old Bench Mark Theo. Can't wait it will be like watching "Days of Our Lives" that great old soap opera.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think it's common knowledge that Bautista is "suspicious". I, myself, on this forum have called him "questionable" because, well, he is.

As for Ellsbury, it would be cool if he got the MVP vote. He's been tremedous for the Sox this season. I just don't see how he can beat Verlander, though, unless they keep talking about the Cy winner being the same as the MVP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    Players with numbers, like Ells is having this year , if they are repeated are on their way to Cooperstown. Obviously , he has a long way to go, nut he is headed in the right direction. He must have gotten into the weights , maybe from the rehab from the cracked ribs last year, whatever the reason, his bat has been quicker, than previous seasons, he looks like a man totally focused at the plate. A budding superstar. Since Theo gave Krawford $142 million, what is Ellbury worth?  You have to laugh really. Boras must be salivating, about the money he is going to make from Ellsbury when he gets to FA. And the Red Sox FO must be dreading that day, when they have to deal with a FA Jacoby Ellsbury. Thanks to good old Bench Mark Theo. Can't wait it will be like watching "Days of Our Lives" that great old soap opera.
    Posted by aussiewill
    Actually, you can't completely blame that on Theo. The Nationals set the market for outfielders last winter with that ridiculous contract they handed Werth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think it's common knowledge that Bautista is "suspicious". I, myself, on this forum have called him "questionable" because, well, he is. As for Ellsbury, it would be cool if he got the MVP vote. He's been tremedous for the Sox this season. I just don't see how he can beat Verlander, though, unless they keep talking about the Cy winner being the same as the MVP.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Kim, if UR "suspicious" about Bautista, are you also "suspicious" about Ellsbury?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

After looking over some of this "conversation", Boomerang looks like he's hiding his own fancrush for Ellsbury behind someone else's "suspicions" about another player. There may be pages of Google entries from people who are equally willing, in the absence of fact, to denigrate Bautista or a million other public figures because frankly, that's what chicken sheet writers, critics, pundits, fans, etc.do without consequence. Suspicions are as damaging as fact. Boomerang sets himself above the fray by saying " Well, I didn't say it. I'm just repeating it".

And now you have a living, breathing example of this right on this page:
    "I think it's common knowledge that Bautista is "suspicious". I, myself, on this forum have called him "questionable" because, well, he is."--kimsaysthis

The million dollar question for Boomerang is does he himself think Bautista is doing something illegal? Other than Google entries from other people who trade everyday in suspicion and innuendo, what evidence do you have if you think so?

And Harness asks a good question. If anyone at all should be suspect, shouldn't it be Ellsbury? A little twerp who suddenly finds a power stroke? What about Granderson, another twerp? Is he juicing or not? Remember Brady Anderson?

Expitch has a simple argument and the right one. Reputations are destroyed every day in every field this way.

Oh yeah, the thread. Ellsbury is putting up excellent #s this season that far surpass anything he's ever done. Boomerang feels he's crossed over into superstar territory on the strength of this season's great #s. Question for Boomerang---are Ian Kennedy and Ivan Nova superstar pitchers? We know about ARod, Tex, AGon, Pedey, Jeter, etc--superstars all. Would you agree that Granderson and Cano are superstars? Matt Kemp?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : Kim , if UR "suspicious" about Bautista, are you also "suspicious" about Ellsbury?
    Posted by harness
    Good question. It might also be posed to writers who are supposedly "suspicious" of Bautista, and to people who are reporting the suspicions of the writers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Reverse pivot produces 11 homer career average.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Great year but nothing like Freddie Lynn in 1979

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Reverse pivot produces 11 homer career average.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

If you're going to continue your pathetic, dishonest lying why not count Ellsbury's 2012 season in your denominator too?

48 career HR in 3+ full seasons....162 game average of 16.

BTW, your Les Paul comments smack of someone who reads the letters to the editor in Guitar Player rather than an actual, you know, guitar player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

As opposed to honest lying.  D'oh!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

If you're going to continue your pathetic, dishonest lying why not count Ellsbury's 2012 season in your denominator too

Hard to count jobs saved and a season that hasn't taken place.

BTW, my grandfather was a recording artist with RCA, who taught me guitar at age 5 and told me not to go into the music business. BTW, I bought a 1918 Gibson O for $75 at a pawn shop. BTW, my regular jamming partner was one of Glen Campbell's chosen session banjo players when he moved to LA. BTW, Theo is worse on a guitar than Elvis, and an even worse GM. BTW, 1958 was the last year of quality gibson guitars. 

BTW, your comment sounds like someone who pretends to be a musician, kind of like Epstein.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jacoby now has a career OPS of .800. (BA .300/.354 OBP)
    His 162 game average is 16 Hrs and 57 extra base hits.

Softy's favorite line is that players will "revert to their career norms".
    He also said Ells would never have a career OBP of over .340, based on his philosophy that he'd "revert to his career norm". 

Clown logic at its best.

.300  16  74 RBIs  109 Runs and 40 (2B+3Bs) is not good enough anymore.
    He used to bash Ells for his career OBP as a leadoff hitter. Now that it is up to .347, he's been silent on that issue.
    He even said Ells would hit better if he played LF:
    as LF'er: .687 OPS
    as CF'er: .821 OPS
    career!
    Recently, he bashed Ells for his splits vs lefties. Well, shouldn't he "revert to his career norm"?
    vs LHPs: .784
    vs RHPs: .807

Silly clown logic.

Oh yeah, one more thing. He wanted Cam as the FT CF'er this spring, Ells as our 4th OF (if not traded) and....get this.... Crawford leading off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you're going to continue your pathetic, dishonest lying why not count Ellsbury's 2012 season in your denominator too Hard to count jobs saved and a season that hasn't taken place. BTW, my grandfather was a recording artist with RCA, who taught me guitar at age 5 and told me not to go into the music business. BTW, I bought a 1918 Gibson O for $75 at a pawn shop. BTW, my regular jamming partner was one of Glen Campbell's chosen session banjo players when he moved to LA. BTW, Theo is worse on a guitar than Elvis, and an even worse GM. BTW, 1958 was the last year of quality gibson guitars.  BTW, your comment sounds like someone who pretends to be a musician, kind of like Epstein.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Hell, I coulda told ya that from a distant chatboard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Why is Les Paul spelled as Less Paul?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

His 162 game average is 16 Hrs

Need to play 162 games to average more than 11 homers, which is his season average since becoming starting CFer for next 10 years.

If you played guitar and played a post 1958 "less paul", you wouldn't ask that question.

No doubt that Ellsbury has carried this team to it's current 88 win mark. He makes players around him better. Ellsbury will average around his 2011 season. He is not the player he was in 2008, 2009 and 2010. His career OBP numbers are about as good as you will find in the leadoff position. Theo will resign this Crawbury tandem for many years to come. Ellsbury at 150M and Crawford at 142M is great value. 

Erstad went on to average close to his best season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Softy, you sound to me like a serious and talented musician. Any way I can talk you into playing music more and posting here less? Seems like it would be a win win....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

When I first came to this IP in 2006, it was a ghosttown. I can't speak for Softlaw, but it was Softlaw that brought me to this IP. Very large shoes to fill.

Red Sox are still very much contenders, but that does not excuse our de jure GM.

Wakefield should have been replaced in 2010. That isn't propaganda, and it certainly doesn't take quality to replace Wakefield. His ceremonial tour was a major factor in 6 man Monte rotation period and early caution and careful coast mode. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When I first came to this IP in 2006, it was a ghosttown. I can't speak for Softlaw, butit was Softlaw that brought me to this IP. Very large shoes to fill.Red Sox are still very much contenders, but that does not excuse our de jure GM. Wakefield should have been replaced in 2010. That isn't propaganda, and it certainly doesn't take quality to replace Wakefield. His ceremonial tour was a major factor in 6 man Monte rotation period and early caution and careful coast mode. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Size 18 idiocy.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Were they planning to let Ellsbury go when he becomes FA-eligible?

Yes, and they will not be able to void Crawford replacement deal. Ellsbury is no more 2011 than Crawford is 2011.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Check out Brady Andersons one career year - Elles may continue to impress but he may never match or exceed these numbers ever again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Erstad went on to be a superstar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Who knows what Ellsbury will do in the future but his career is looking like a progression so far. He has improved steadily. He hit for average but little OBP or pop at first. He started to drive the ball in the 2nd half of 2009. As he added pop his OBP went up. He steadily improved this year also. Now he is finally reaching the wall in LF. That might well take him to another level of performance going forward. I see no reason for him to regress any time soon.

Sections
Shortcuts