NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

Rickey Henderson's best year ever for RBI = 74. Ellsbury now has 98 with quite a few games left. Has any leadoff batter ever had more than 100 RBI?

Rickey Henderson never had more than 64 XBH in a year. Ellsbury now has 78 folks, with games left to play.

He is a PLUS 15.6 UZR/150 and is now a 8.7 WAR, with a valuation of $39.2 MIL for his year SO FAR. He should edge out Bautista for the MVP vote if it were held today. He's been that good ladies and gentlemen.

Ellsbury is having one of the greatest year's ever for a leadoff batter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

shhh Boom, lower your voice, you know who might hear you...Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

Ellsbury is now effectively a superstar player in mlb. A few years ago a few of us threw out comps of guys like Henderson, Lou Brock, Damon and others and were laughed at. We didn't say he would have the same career as Henderson, or even Damon, but that he might have comparable numbers but not play as long. We were laughed at.

It looks like Johnny Pesky was not as crazy as people thought when he compared Ellsbury to Ted!

Look it up. Ellsbury has been an absolute stud this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]shhh Boom, lower your voice, you know who might hear you...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I am afraid the cat is already out of the bag on this one Jete. But you know who has been silent on the subject recently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Fangraphs had some solid reports on this recently:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-official-position-on-2011-al-mvp/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ellsburys-mvp-candicacy-not-that-uncommon/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I was leaning towards Granderson earlier but his defense isn't near Ellsbury's this year and he has had the advantage of playing in Yankee stadium which clearly helps his game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Player A Career Averages OBP .354 SLG .442 OPS+ 108

Player B Career Averages OBP  .401 SLG .410 OPS+ 127

Player C Career Averages OBP .331 SLG .401 OPS+ 108 

Player D Career Averages OBP .482 SLG ..634 OPS+ 190

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from firetheo. Show firetheo's posts

In Response to NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]Rickey Henderson's best year ever for RBI = 74. Ellsbury now has 98 with quite a few games left. Has any leadoff batter ever had more than 100 RBI? Rickey Henderson never had more than 64 XBH in a year. Ellsbury now has 78 folks, with games left to play. He is a PLUS 15.6 UZR/150 and is now a 8.7 WAR, with a valuation of $39.2 MIL for his year SO FAR. He should edge out Bautista for the MVP vote if it were held today. He's been that good ladies and gentlemen. Ellsbury is having one of the greatest year's ever for a leadoff batter.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

a-gone could win the mvp if it stood for MOST VANISHING PLAYER.
    granderson will win and verlander will finish second, followed by ells.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Carl Crawford was recently an MVP candidate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from firetheo. Show firetheo's posts

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]Carl Crawford was recently an MVP candidate.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

god-awful CRAWFUL didn't play in either game yesterday. in the history of baseball has a 140+ million dollar ballplayer been missed least in a line-up?
    theo, you got some 'splaining to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I see that LESS Paul is now with us, aka Softy. It must be killing you to see Ellbury have an MVP type year. I'm personally savoring the moment!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

True.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

It looks like Johnny Pesky was not as crazy as people thought when he compared Ellsbury to Ted!---boomerang
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good grief. One season. After he strings together another 15 of these, then let's compare him to Henderson, Williams, et al.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think half this board accused Ells of tanking it last year with a fake injury.  Even Youk bad-mouthed the kid for not rehabbing in the Sox dugout.  Virtually all of Boston would have traded Ells last year for any team's batboy.  He was accused of not being a Dirt Dog, not being a team player, not playing hurt, not rehabbing correctly, and many more unsavory things on this board.

It is great to see the kid turn this around this year and watch the posters who hated him last year come to his side this year and pretend last year never happened.

Hopefully the same thing happens with Crawford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I was leaning towards Granderson

You were also leaning towards Bachman, before Obama repeated his plan for fat cats to pay their fair share. When Carl Crawford returns part of his 2011 contract costs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Darin Erstad has the RBI record for leadoff hitters with 100, in 2000.  So Ellsbury needs 3 more for the record. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]Rickey Henderson's best year ever for RBI = 74. Ellsbury now has 98 with quite a few games left. Has any leadoff batter ever had more than 100 RBI? Rickey Henderson never had more than 64 XBH in a year. Ellsbury now has 78 folks, with games left to play. He is a PLUS 15.6 UZR/150 and is now a 8.7 WAR, with a valuation of $39.2 MIL for his year SO FAR. He should edge out Bautista for the MVP vote if it were held today. He's been that good ladies and gentlemen. Ellsbury is having one of the greatest year's ever for a leadoff batter.
    Darin Erstad* had 100 RBI as a leadoff hitter in 2000:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/erstada01.shtml

... but Jacoby Ellsbury's 2011 certainly ranks among the best seasons ever for a leadoff hitter.

* in 2000, Baseball Reference had Erstad at 7.7 WAR and FanGraphs had him at 8.8 WAR. In 2011, Baseball Reference has Ellsbury at 7.3 WAR and FanGraphs has him at 8.7 WAR. Remarkably similar scores at somewhat similar ages (Erstad was a year younger in 2000 than Ellsbury is this season).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Ellsbury is the Sox MVP, but can't quite make the leap to AL MVP.  I see Granderson and Verlander as both having better seasons, but they are about the only ones. 

The 98 rbi's from the leadoff--those are huge.  But he also is 2d in the AL in both runs scored and hits. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think the conversation went something like this:

Me: I think Ellsbury probably will not have as long a career as Damon but other than that Ellsbury's career may well be comparable.

Softy: You Moron. Ellsbury has a pea shooter which will never amount to more than 10 HR a season

Me: You know, I looked up Lou Brock and his CS stealing rate was over 30% and although he had a longer career than Ellsbury will probably have, Ellsbury might well put up better numbers in his prime.

Softy: You Moron. Ellsbury couldn't carry Lou Brock's jock strap.

Me: You know, there is no way Ellsbury ends up with Rickey Henderson type career numbers but I think he has 20 HR potential and should hit for a high average and put up some Rickey Henderson type years.

Softy: You Moron. Jake will never even reach Coco Crisp's numbers. If he's lucky he will maybe reach Lugo's career numbers. Did I call you a Moron again? Just wanted to make sure!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Erstad was a true baseball superstar legend.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]I was leaning towards Granderson You were also leaning towards Bachman, before Obama repeated his plan for fat cats to pay their fair share. When Carl Crawford returns part of his 2011 contract costs.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I was leaning towards Bachman to get the Republican nomination. I was counting on guys like you to vote for her LESS. You are a guitar player and you don't even know how to spell Les Paul's name? I don't get that one LESS?

Then you found a bigger dummy in Perry and you guys bailed. The reason being of course that not only is the Republican party ignorant, they are also sexist. You guys dropped Bachman for your man crush Perry.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

That MVP year Jimmy Rollins had was incredible 38 doubles, 30 HR and 20 Triples, 41 steals. Playing SS. 88 XBH.

The pitching bias against starters in the mvp ballot will preclude Verlander IMO. Granderson's defense isn't in the same league as Ellsbury's this year. See:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/curtis-grandersons-defense-and-his-mvp-prospects/

I think the competition is between Bautista and Ellsbury at this point. Bautista looks so tainted that I think he might not get some votes for that reason alone. He doesn't play for a contender and Toronto is a launching pad. And his defense isn't comparable to Ellsbury's this year.

If the vote happened right now, I think it's Ellsbury!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I look at fangraphs, but don't think the voters do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]I look at fangraphs, but don't think the voters do. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You have a point Max!

Can't wait to see Moneyball. It's a feel good movie and I'm looking to feel good!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]That MVP year Jimmy Rollins had was incredible 38 doubles, 30 HR and 20 Triples, 41 steals. Playing SS. 88 XBH. The pitching bias against starters in the mvp ballot will preclude Verlander IMO. Granderson's defense isn't in the same league as Ellsbury's this year. See: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/curtis-grandersons-defense-and-his-mvp-prospects/ I think the competition is between Bautista and Ellsbury at this point. Bautista looks so tainted that I think he might not get some votes for that reason alone. He doesn't play for a contender and Toronto is a launching pad. And his defense isn't comparable to Ellsbury's this year. If the vote happened right now, I think it's Ellsbury!
    The man "looks so tainted." To whom? To you? To the voters? How could you possibly know that? Weren't you the one who said that if Navarro goes on the juice, without a single hint of evidence that he has or intends to, that he might buff up and hit with more power? You do realize, or do you not, that you are flinging around stuff that could hurt players' reputations. 
    I think that Ellsbury is, or should be, the hot candidate at the moment. But you may be overlooking another candidate in Detroit whose name is not Verlander.
    Have you checked his numbers? Defense may hurt him, but he deserves at least a mention for the kind of season he's having.

Sections
Shortcuts