NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

Judging by his interviews Ellsbury has played with a chip on his shoulder after last year's criticisms.  Good for him to channel it well.  We can only hope CC manages the same in the not too distant future.

I never thought Ellsbury would have a season like this. 

Breaking it down:

His grounball percentage is way down this year so the double secret reverse pivot is no longer in a GB to 2nd baseman rut. 

In years past he seemed to swing for the fences but come up short. Not this year HR/FB  15.8%  career  9.0%.

Bad breaks on balls.  My eyes matched what UZR and TotalZone were saying about his play in CF before this year.  This year he has looked better to the naked eye and the metrics agree.  If I were to nitpick he often gets a glove on shallow line drives but rarely holds on.

Driving the fastball.   He is seeing ~3% less FB. I think that tells the story. Scouts must have changed the book on him. Fangraphs had him about average on FBs for his career and off the charts awesome this year.

Running into outs.  He is only average which is bad considering his speed. If this is the weakest part of his game and he is about league average, that equals an incredible year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury is now effectively a superstar player in mlb. A few years ago a few of us threw out comps of guys like Henderson, Lou Brock, Damon and others and were laughed at. We didn't say he would have the same career as Henderson, or even Damon, but that he might have comparable numbers but not play as long. We were laughed at. It looks like Johnny Pesky was not as crazy as people thought when he compared Ellsbury to Ted! Look it up. Ellsbury has been an absolute stud this year.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Ells will probably only get "comeback player of the year" but I agree.  Verlander has been flat out amazing and a few others like AGon, Bautista or Granderson will probably win MVP.

Great year for Ells regardless and I'm glad he silenced his critics.  I hope CC can do the same next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Was sorry to see Gonzo go into a big swoon, especially against our key rivals, but at least we don't have to hear Softy's wacky "Ellsbury would be nothing if not for Adrian Gonzalez" tripe any anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Just a few stats (9/20/11) that compare Ellsbury to other AL players this year:   Batting----------5th at .319
              Runs------------2nd with 114
              RBIs-------------7th with 98
              Hits--------------2nd with 199
              Doubles-----------2nd with 45
              Home Runs--------8th with 28
              Stolen Bases------4th with 37
     Overall a pretty terrific year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Verlander is the no doubt MVP this year in my eyes because without him, the tigers are a sub .500 team and with him, they are division winners and a scary team to face for anybody in the playoffs...ells and gonzo have had great years too though dont get me wrong

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ellsbury certainly is having a great year. He will be among the top contenders for MVP , but Verlander will probably win it.  I don't think this will turn out to be a career year for Jacoby , either. I think he will continue to play at this level or higher for several years.  That said , there have been a few " next Ted Williams " in Sox history. Yaz came closest , but no one has come near what Ted accomplished. I doubt that anyone will. Ted Williams was one of a kind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

You are a guitar player and you don't even know how to spell Les Paul's name?

Since 1959, "Less" Paul's are junk. It's a play on words, you bird brain.

I have a 1918 Gibson O, not that you have a clue about guitars.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Crawford embarrassment will prevent InEpstein from making the same mistake with career year over career averages Boywonder2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : Unfortunately Ells will probably only get "comeback player of the year" but I agree.  Verlander has been flat out amazing and a few others like AGon, Bautista or Granderson will probably win MVP. Great year for Ells regardless and I'm glad he silenced his critics.  I hope CC can do the same next season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Ellsbury has had much more than a fairly typical comeback year. As a leadoff man he's having he's having a boomtown year. All gushers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : The man " looks so tainted." To whom? To you? To the voters? How could you possibly know that? Weren't you the one who said that if Navarro goes on the juice, without a single hint of evidence that he has or intends to, that he might buff up and hit with more power? You do realize, or do you not, that you are flinging around stuff that could hurt players' reputations.  I think that Ellsbury is, or should be, the hot candidate at the moment. But you may be overlooking another candidate in Detroit whose name is not Verlander. Have you checked his numbers? Defense may hurt him, but he deserves at least a mention for the kind of season he's having.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

There was a study done on players in baseball history who have ever improved as much as Bautista in one year. He went from zero to hero bigtime. They found that in baseball history only one other guy had ever had comparable improvement in that short of time. There are clear concerns about Bautista and everyone in basebll knows it. No proof yet but clearly strong indications.

I said that the only way Navarro becomes a valuable player is for him to visit the same gym in Santo Domingo that Ortiz admits going to frequently in the off season. Where guys like Arod, Vladdy and many other power hitting Dominican players hang out in the off season. Where steroids and other such substances are still legal. The gym which is managed by a guy who was banned from baseball for steroid involvement. That gym.

I've researched steroid use in the Dominican repuyblic in some depth and the number of players from the DR who are huge HR hitters now or were in the past. They have made some improvements recently but in the local leagues as many as 50 players were found to have PED involvement in there when they first cracked down. The baseball academies down there were rampant with ped use and only in the past few years improved much. 

Yes, I did comment on maybe some people not voting for Bautista for MVP because of those suspicions. Should I not state the obvious? He is obviously under suspicion. Say what you will but Bautista is obviously under suspicion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE] You are a guitar player and you don't even know how to spell Les Paul's name? Since 1959, "Less" Paul's are junk. It's a play on words, you bird brain. I have a 1918 Gibson O, not that you have a clue about guitars.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Then why say 1958lesspaul then? I don't believe a word you say anymore softy. I've seen you in action far too long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Why not say 1959lesspaul then?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If it were today, I'd vote for Ellsbury and I don't think Verlander or Cabrera will be in the top 2.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

One of the greatest years ever for a leadoff batter...
    Since what  2005?

He's having a break out year  let's  not King him just yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Find a guy with better lead off numbers in baseball history. There can't be many in the modern era. Lots of high average guys but virtually none with high average and that kind of power.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

but what about that reverse pivot, that will be his down fall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Judging by his interviews Ellsbury has played with a chip on his shoulder after last year's criticisms.  Good for him to channel it well.  We can only hope CC manages the same in the not too distant future. I never thought Ellsbury would have a season like this.  Breaking it down: His grounball percentage is way down this year so the double secret reverse pivot is no longer in a GB to 2nd baseman rut.  In years past he seemed to swing for the fences but come up short. Not this year HR/FB  15.8%  career  9.0%. Bad breaks on balls.  My eyes matched what UZR and TotalZone were saying about his play in CF before this year.  This year he has looked better to the naked eye and the metrics agree.  If I were to nitpick he often gets a glove on shallow line drives but rarely holds on. Driving the fastball.   He is seeing ~3% less FB. I think that tells the story. Scouts must have changed the book on him.Fangraphs had him about average on FBs for his career and off the charts awesome this year. Running into outs.  He is only average which is bad considering his speed. If this is the weakest part of his game and he is about league average, that equals an incredible year.
    Posted bytom-uk[/QUOTE]

Gee. According to Softone, Jake is seeing 43% fat city meatballs.
    Wonder why he never backed up this claim?

The scouts re-wrote the book on Jake after his power became an issue.

This being said, I do think Boom is hoisting the superstar label prematurely. And the reason Rickey Henderson never drove in this many runs was because he walked so damn much. That crouch of his was border-line illegal the way he used it to manipulate the strike zone. As a result, he scored over 100 runs 13 times.
    Jake's done it once - so far.

In addition, the A's didn't have much at the end of their batting order...and Henderson didn't spend his prime hitting in Fenway.
    Huge difference in hitting/pitching venue.

Ellsbury
    in Boston:   .311
    in Oakland: .143

Henderson hit .286 in Oakland, but over .300 in Boston up until he played for Boston, which was at the end of his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Good points Harness, but Ellsbury has clearly put up superstar numbers this year hasn't he? He is a superstar this year right? And it didn't come out of nowhere. He has been solid overall except for last year. His minor league numbers were solid also. I for one do think he will put up some great numbers going forward for the next 6-7 years probably.

Will he match Rickey's career? No way. Will he have some years which might be comparable to Rickey's best? I think so. Rickey was huge though. 2 years with a WAR value over 10. Rickey was even decent defensively and he could definitely get on base and make things happen. Ellsbury will never be Rickey, but no one ever said he would be.

I didn't even say he would match Damon's career but I did say he would put up comparable years in his prime. Ellsbury started later. Few thought he would ever come close to Damon but the Damon projection seemed pretty likely to some of us. When I brought up Brock, a HOF player, I said that Ellsbury could develop into a guy with comparable numbers during his prime. Not that he would have as long a career as Brock.

The bottom line is that he was poised for a monster year and he did it. He started to drive the ball better late in 2009. He has been improving steadily. There is no reason why he can't be a stud again next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Good points Harness, but Ellsbury has clearly put up superstar numbers this year hasn't he? He is a superstar this year right? And it didn't come out of nowhere. He has been solid overall except for last year. His minor league numbers were solid also. I for one do think he will put up some great numbers going forward for the next 6-7 years probably. Will he match Rickey's career? No way. Will he have some years which might be comparable to Rickey's best? I think so. Rickey was huge though. 2 years with a WAR value over 10. Rickey was even decent defensively and he could definitely get on base and make things happen. Ellsbury will never be Rickey, but no one ever said he would be. I didn't even say he would match Damon's career but I did say he would put up comparable years in his prime. Ellsbury started later. Few thought he would ever come close to Damon but the Damon projection seemed pretty likely to some of us. When I brought up Brock, a HOF player, I said that Ellsbury could develop into a guy with comparable numbers during his prime. Not that he would have as long a career as Brock. The bottom line is that he was poised for a monster year and he did it. He started to drive the ball better late in 2009. He has been improving steadily. There is no reason why he can't be a stud again next year.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I agree. He will be even more dangerous if he uses the wall to better advantage.
    My point is, one year does not a superstar make. He has a ways to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Granderson MVP, dude beat the rays tonight. Not really sure what Ellsbury has been hitting the last couple of weeks though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Navajokid2. Show Navajokid2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : I agree. He will be even more dangerous if he uses the wall to better advantage. My point is, one year does not a superstar make. He has a ways to go.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
       It is truly amazing how Jacoby has become an elite player so quickly.  lets hope this nightmare the Sox are experiencing will end soon. Just goes to show you that you can never have enough pitching. In retrospect one Clif Lee would have been better than a Lakey and a Crawford.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Anybody juicing after infamous list puts themselves at great risk. Ask Manny.
    Bautista looks to me like a player who made key hitting adjustments...like Granderson. It happens. If ya accuse one, gotta accuse the other. And may as well throw in Jake as well.

McCarthyism ended half a century ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NEWS FLASH - In case you haven't noticed Ellsbury is having one of the greatest years ever for a lead off batter! : I agree. He will be even more dangerous if he uses the wall to better advantage. My point is, one year does not a superstar make. He has a ways to go.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

If he wins the mvp vote, I think he's a superstar. How many guys win multiple MVP titles? Very few. He is putting up huge numbers this year and has already earned the superstar title after this year in my opinion. He has also led the league in SB before. And hit over .300 before. He was an emerging star. His numbers overall have been comparable to Crawford's and now he has topped Crawford's best year. If Crawford got $140 mil, I think he was considered a superstar. In Crawford's best year, in 2010, he had 62 XBH, far fewer than Ellbury. Ellsbury is making Crawford's last year look mediocre.

It's semantics. He could tank next year and lose the moniker but this year, IMO, he is a superstar player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

My main point with this thread is that this is potentially a historic level of performance. Ellsbury is having a tremendous year, worthy of the MVP, and from a historic standpoint a unique level of performance from a lead off guy. 

He's even been strong defensively, unlike Granderson and others. I think the guy has to be favored for the MVP at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Granderson - 2011 UZR-150 = Negative 6.9

Ellsbury - 2011 UZR-150 = PLUS 15.6

Same position, same year.

Granderson 2011 hits - 148

Ellsbury 2011 hits - 200

Granderson average - .269

Ellsbury average - .319

And Granderson clearly has more park advantage. LH hitter in the HR capital of baseball for LH hitters ( maybe Philadelphia has passed them recently but Yankee stadium is HR heaven for left handers. Similar OBP. Similar slugging. Similar XBH...etc. Ellsbury should win.