Next 9 games, 3 series with 3 each, Tampa, NY & Orioles...anybody worried ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Next 9 games, 3 series with 3 each, Tampa, NY & Orioles...anybody worried ?

In response to Beantowne's comment:

No need to worry, up 6 games in the loss column and playing good ball. All the Sox have to do from this point forward is aviod being swept. With the depth of our staff and the gamers we have on the field, this team will continue to compete until the division is wrapped up...

As evidenced by last nights game, with a two nothing lead after five strong and impressive innings from Buchholz. Farrel went to his go to guys early...Breslow to Tazawa to Uehara (four out save). Which shows that he and the team have unfinished buisness and will come to the park with the intent to close it out...

After last night game with Price on the bump, the Sox pretty much stuck a fork in the Rays chances to make things interesting. The Rays are now in a position where they have to focus on winning games with three teams on the heals. The Sox can continue to make things difficult on them by winning the series tonight. 

They are not six games up on the loss column.  They are seven games up!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

With Buccholz back and the Red Sox on a role, I am not worried. 

I just hope that the Red Sox hold off the Tigers for homefield throughout the playoffs. 

The A's are a half game closer than the Tiger's today.

Making up 4 games, with 16 left wont be easy for either team.

The only drawback is that the Sox are playing teams that are fighting for a playoff spot.

Should be a fun 16 games!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Think orf it this way.  If the Sox go 8-8, Tampa has to go 19-0 to win the division (I'm assuming if they tie, both are going to make the playoffs and the Sox have clinched the tiebreaker.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'mnot at all worried about the AL East.  This current streak has all but put everyone else out of the running.  If the Sox were as far behind TB as TB is behind the Sox we'd be forgetting about the AL East and be concentrating on the WC.

I AM concerned about the best record.  The Sox have played .800 ball through the last ten games and as I've said before, .800 isn't sustainable over a long stretch.  And yes, I know the Rockies won 21 of 22 six years ago.  That only proves that strange things DO happen occasionally but I'd bet against that every time.

Detroit OTOH is 4-6 over their last ten and four games behind us in the Lost Column.  I expect they will probably improve on 4-6 over the remainder of the season.  We have 16 games left and Detroit has 17.  I can see that race coming down to the last day or two - but I DO think the Sox will end up with the best record.  I'm just "worried".  :-) 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In all honesty, I did not expect a win last night. We always have  trouble with Price, and Buchholz was pitching for the first time in three  months. But, as has been the case several times this season, the guys surprised me.

I believe they're  on a mission from God.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I'mnot at all worried about the AL East.  This current streak has all but put everyone else out of the running.  If the Sox were as far behind TB as TB is behind the Sox we'd be forgetting about the AL East and be concentrating on the WC.

I AM concerned about the best record.  The Sox have played .800 ball through the last ten games and as I've said before, .800 isn't sustainable over a long stretch.  And yes, I know the Rockies won 21 of 22 six years ago.  That only proves that strange things DO happen occasionally but I'd bet against that every time.

Detroit OTOH is 4-6 over their last ten and four games behind us in the Lost Column.  I expect they will probably improve on 4-6 over the remainder of the season.  We have 16 games left and Detroit has 17.  I can see that race coming down to the last day or two - but I DO think the Sox will end up with the best record.  I'm just "worried".  :-) 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I agree.

The best record race is going to be a tight one.

And the Sox have a tougher schedule than either the A's or Detroit.

On the plus side, the Sox have Buchholz for three more starts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The thing that worries me the most is the weather for the night of Thursday the 19th.No rain!!

I have tickets for that night against the O's.

"Another day closer to the parade"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Think orf it this way.  If the Sox go 8-8, Tampa has to go 19-0 to win the division (I'm assuming if they tie, both are going to make the playoffs and the Sox have clinched the tiebreaker.)

There is no tiebreaker. If somehow the Rays catch the Sox and tie there will be a one game playoff to see who is the division winner and who is the wildcard team. Since the Sox won the season series that game would be played at Fenway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

There is no tiebreaker. If somehow the Rays catch the Sox and tie there will be a one game playoff to see who is the division winner and who is the wildcard team. Since the Sox won the season series that game would be played at Fenway.

They changed it?  Okay, then the Rays would only have to go 18-1 to force a playoff.  Either way, I'm not too worried.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

With Buccholz back and the Red Sox on a role, I am not worried. 

I just hope that the Red Sox hold off the Tigers for homefield throughout the playoffs. 

It will be interesting to see how farrell manages the team.  He will want to rest his players and set up his rotation while trying for home field advantage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In all honesty, I did not expect a win last night. We always have  trouble with Price, and Buchholz was pitching for the first time in three  months. But, as has been the case several times this season, the guys surprised me.

I guess that means they all need to wear dark glasses along with their beards.  That would be a sight!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

we own the yankees so i am not worried at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

It's a mission from the Baseball Gods.  I'm a polytheist when it comes to divine intervention in sports.  The Red Sox angered the Baseball Gods by how they constructed the 2011 team.  They served their penance last season with Bobby Valentine and absolved themselves of baseball sin through the Dodgers trade. By constructing a team of skilled gamers, they have resurrected their 2004 and 2007 glory and the Baseball Gods are smiling upon them once again. 

Have faith, thou glorious Red Sox Nation!

Sections
Shortcuts