Go get Joe Maddon !!! 

[/QUOTE]

Maddon would be my choice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Next Manager

art howe or willie randolph

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I like the Tony Pena idea if they want to go clean slate.  Former catchers have a good track record as MLB managers and he did win a manger of the year award.

I also like the idea of Demarlo Hale.  It would be like admitting they were wrong and bringing back a Tito guy, because we all know he isn't walking back through that door.  Hale seems like he would tough but reasonable and i think the current players respect him.  He knows the front office guys and the organization.  He has a bit of insight on the Orioles after being their 3rd base coach.  By all accounts he is manager material as teams have interviewed him for openings in the past.  Maybe he could bring Rick Peterson with him from Baltimore as the pitching coach.  I'm not crazy about them giving up anything significant to get Farrell.  Mills will end up back w/ Francona.  Bogar has the Valentine taint on him.  Let's make it Pena or Hale.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Tony Pena...the guy who quit...in Kansas EFFING City.  No way.  If he had personal stuff going there and bailed, how can he handle Boston?

But...he was better the year before he quit...and has served his time in NY...i dunno, I'm not sold.

I know I'm definitely not in favor of John Farrell.  He contributed to the erosion of our pitching staff, and managed the Blue Jays into the ground further... I'm not sure why people are saying he's the answer.

Joe Torre would be interesting...how can he NOT have the respect of all players on the Sox?  Young or old...they'd listen to him without a doubt.  If he could tell "the boss" to go screw on things, he'd certainly listen to Larry and then in very nice words, tell him the same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I was hoping that Ryne Sandberg would be on the list - but it looks like the Phillies promoted him the the ML level

I also like Pena - smart tough and a player favorite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Pena didn't resign. He "resigned."

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joe Torre as the GM and the manager.

Joe Maddon is simply a product of the old system which allowed bottom feeder teams to load up on a bunch of high draft picks. The problem is that the Rays overloaded on the value of pitching and failed to balance offense in the equation and are a both an embarrassment in AL East offense production and as a business model.

[/QUOTE]
    Why not Torre as CEO, replacing Lucchino with Pena as Manager?