Next pitcher to try from the Minors?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Next pitcher to try from the Minors?

How often have the Sox brought an AA pitcher up to try out?  Not so often I think, but looking at the PawSox, there isn't really anything beyond what they've already tried with Weiland.  Duckworth, Millwood and Doubrant aren't viable options either.

Is it worth giving Alex Wilson from the SeaDogs a look?

I suspect the Sox would load Aceves back into the rotation before even considering it though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Next pitcher to try from the Minors?

The 23-year-old Doubront had pitched well of late. He picked up his first win for the PawSox in his last start, tossing seven shutout innings against Syracuse, allowing just four hits.

Then during the IL All-Star break last week, Doubront was sent to AA-Portland to get in a start and allowed just one earned run over five innings, not issuing a walk, while striking out nine. Against the Iron Pigs, Doubront officially worked 4.1 innings, allowing three hits and a walk while striking out three.

Doubront has allowed three or fewer runs in 11 of his 13 starts for the PawSox. In three relief appearances with Boston at the outset of the season, he allowed four hits and two walks over just 2.2 innings, having a 6.75 earned run average.

"You like for him to start, but he's going to have to fit a role - depending on the timing, how things work out," added Beyeler of his future role for Boston. "It's an as-need basis for the young guys, that's how it works If it's a starting role great, a relieving role great - we hope to get him consistent, then it's up to those guys (Boston GM Theo Epstein, manager Terry Francona) to decide how they want to use him."Even though PawSox alumni Randy Williams, Kyle Weiland, Alfredo Aceves and Andrew Miller are in Boston Red Sox uniforms right now, Doubront is only a phone call away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Kyle Weiland started the game for Pawtucket and was outright dominant against the Rochester Red Wings in Pawtucket's 4-1 victory Wednesday night.

He took a no-hitter into the sixth inning before giving up a base hit to leftfielder Dustin Martin with two outs. The 5.2 hitless innings to begin the game for Weiland was the longest such streak to start a game for Pawtucket this season.

Martin's single was hit sharply up the middle and glanced off the end of the glove of the diving second baseman, Brent Dlugach, and trickled into shallow left-centerfield. Danny Lehman, who had reached via a hit-by-pitch and advanced to second base on a passed ball, scored on the play. Because of the passed ball, Lehman's run was unearned but Martin was credited with an RBI.

Weiland was removed from the game after pitching eight innings and throwing 99 pitches. The fifth-inning single to Martin was the lone hit he allowed on the evening to go with no walks and three hit batters. He finished with 12 strikeouts and allowed just the one, unearned run.

Weiland's 12 strikeouts surpass his 10-strikeout performance on April 14 and Andrew Miller's 10-strikeout performance on June 14 for the most strikeouts by a PawSox pitcher this season. The 12 strikeouts are the most by a Pawtucket Red Sox pitcher since Bruce Chen had 12 strikeouts on September 6, 2003 vs. Ottawa.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---------. Show -TheBabe---------'s posts

Wow, back to back baseball related posts by pike, even if they were of the cut and paste type with no credit to the author.

But given the rarity of anything remotely baseball related posted by pike, we should take a moment and give him some credit.

Although this probably means he won't post anything about baseball for the next week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Historically I post about baseball but how many times is it effective and worthwhile to support an Ellsbury or Theo when the threads bashing them come every day for years. Am I going to melt a snowbank by pizzing into it. It would be a waste of time to tell Andrewmitch that he has a Drew obsession on a daily basis, the same goes for Softlaw on Jake and Jed, Law on Theo, and Babe on being a daily troll. Talking baseball daily using the same ammunition to combat trolls would be a waste of time and energy for anyone but a fool. Yet the forum does have posters who attempt this and their efforts are futile since trolls don't really wish to engage in real debate. Some here never really get it that they are debating "concern trolls", trolls, and devil's advocates ( contrarians). I feel sorry for them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Next pitcher to try from the Minors?:
    Wow, back to back baseball related posts by pike, even if they were of the cut and paste type with no credit to the author. But given the rarity of anything remotely baseball related posted by pike, we should take a moment and give him some credit. Although this probably means he won't post anything about baseball for the next week.
    Posted by -TheBabe---------

While your post has... WHAT... to do with baseball??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would like to see more of Weiland. He just might be the answer. Doubront would probably be better than Miller , also. The Miller experiment is just not working. Fortunately, Sox have scored enough runs to offset Miller's poor performance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I concur.  Weiland had a better second start than his first.  Seems you give the guy another and another until he starts to regress (as Miller has done, unfortunately).  Other teams wanted Weiland in a trade for a starter, there must be something there.  That is why I liked the idea of getting Harden, as it meant the Sox could keep Weiland and have him pitch some meaningful innings in September.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Next pitcher to try from the Minors?:
    How often have the Sox brought an AA pitcher up to try out?  Not so often I think, but looking at the PawSox, there isn't really anything beyond what they've already tried with Weiland.  Duckworth, Millwood and Doubrant aren't viable options either. Is it worth giving Alex Wilso n from the SeaDogs a look? I suspect the Sox would load Aceves back into the rotation before even considering it though.
    Posted by SleeStack1

Noooooo, not now, not while they have a decent shot at the division.  Let NY call up a scrub from AA.  As it is there's been two many dudes from Pawtucket taking the mound.  Let's get a real honest-to-goodness pitcher from somebody who needs to dump a salary.  Let's get Garza. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I actually like the Alex Wilson possibility.  He's been a AA All-Star the past few seasons.  I can see him getting a spot start at some point to help build some showcase stock. 

Other than that, I expect to see Doubront again at some point and I bet he's the first guy up.

Sections
Shortcuts