next Red Sox SUPERSTAR = MOOKIE BETTS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

next Red Sox SUPERSTAR = MOOKIE BETTS?

yep, the irony that its a mookie isnt lost on moi.. anywho, cherington and his lieutendents have been dropping that name a lot. infact, hazen said point blank he's the guy he's most lookin forward to see at spring training. was offensive playa of the year in the minors, has great plate discipline and some pop. only prob is that he's plyin second.. dont think pedy will accept being bumped to third or left.. but hazen mentioned the kid can play 3rd or ss..

any doubt they would consider drew has been totally erased by what they are sayin publically. add in the G kid and we have more enough fill-in guys right now. middy aint going no where for reasons i'll explain in my other thread. he hooked up with a great brand. if injuries come up, we're set.. one of the kids could b converted to the OF.. anyone named Mookie could atleast play some left.. see ya gomes after this year!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: next Red Sox SUPERSTAR = MOOKIE BETTS?

He came into the organization as a SS and could still probably play there. Good instincts and arm for the position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

left field is a waste of his athletic ability, 2nd base is his best position.  Maybe he can go back to SS, and his speed would play up in center field. 

I'm very high on Mookie Betts, but I still think there is a lot of risk with him.  He put himself onto the national radar this year, and if he continues to showcase his skills in the upper minors this year then he just might move into some top 50 lists.

As of right now, I think worst case scenario he is a super utility guy whose bat isn't a complete black hole.  Although I think his chances of being a starter are increasing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Betts in ST????

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

God forbid he gets a spring training invite and knocks the cover off the ball creating so much fanfare and hype that the front office decides to roll the dice and start him only to have him struggle with such a large jump and then all of a sudden everyone starts thinking he is a bust this is just one huge long run on sentence that I will end       now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

also from readin the tea leaves, methinks that KEMP could walk thru those doors. hazen isnt exactly a great poker playa.. they prefer righties with some pop much more than lrfties for fenway. y on earth would we let middyg o or not b intrigued by kemp for RF this year.. also made it clear its not imperative they get JBJ going this year.. could see them going with a kemp and using jbj next year with kemp in left. dodgers like our stuff an dare willing to eat a huge chunk for a greta prospect.. sounds reasonable... yanks love lefties with some pop.. hence, jacoby.. must think his pop can return in yankee stadium..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:

also from readin the tea leaves, methinks that KEMP could walk thru those doors. hazen isnt exactly a great poker playa.. they prefer righties with some pop much more than lrfties for fenway. y on earth would we let middyg o or not b intrigued by kemp for RF this year.. also made it clear its not imperative they get JBJ going this year.. could see them going with a kemp and using jbj next year with kemp in left. dodgers like our stuff an dare willing to eat a huge chunk for a greta prospect.. sounds reasonable... yanks love lefties with some pop.. hence, jacoby.. must think his pop can return in yankee stadium..

Yes but if we trade for Kemp....who is going to play all those games in left field when Kemp rides the D.L.????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So Betts will be a superstar before Bogaerts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Betts in ST????

you betts!! Tongue Out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Betts appears to be a legitimate prospect, but I think that I will wait to see what he does in Portland and then maybe Pawtucket later in the 2014 season before handing him a uniform and place in the Red Sox line up.

His promise is very exciting as a trade chip for a guy like Kemp as he may be the guy that the Dodgers would take for Kemp either later in the off season or during spring training if he proves to be healthy and the Dodger still want to lessen their financial commitment to outfielders.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Betts appears to be a legitimate prospect, but I think that I will wait to see what he does in Portland and then maybe Pawtucket later in the 2014 season before handing him a uniform and place in the Red Sox line up.

His promise is very exciting as a trade chip for a guy like Kemp as he may be the guy that the Dodgers would take for Kemp either later in the off season or during spring training if he proves to be healthy and the Dodger still want to lessen their financial commitment to outfielders.

DODGERS ARE LOADED IN READY FOR MAJORS of'S.. THEY WANT young pitching or infielders.. methinks gino is more likely THAN MOOKIE THE ROOKIE.... you BETTs--CHA! mookie is ready for his cookie!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

a spring training with a clean bill of health proves nothing.  That's effectively one month of playing time.  The severity of his injuries may plague him for the rest of his career....if he manages to stay healthy for a few months it may just create the illusion that he is healthy when in reality he is one straw away from breaking his back.

I'd stay far far far away from anyone with those injuries and in that consistency. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

WOW  Where do we get these players !!

The draft....all teams have prospects. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I really like the idea of a UT guy who has some power, is as small as Pedroia and can man all infield positions very well along with his bat.  I keep thinking to myself that we haven't had a really good UT guy since Alex Cora and it would be nice to get one for once.  I think a good UT guy has to be ready to be a starter for an extended period of time and the player has to be good enough to minimize the dropoff between the two so the difference to the team is not felt too much.

Sounds like a tall task, but if we can develop that guy in house like Mookie then great.  If that doesn't work out, I would be happy to have a solid backup to Pedroia at second in case of a serious injury. That said, this kid hasn't even made it past A ball yet, so I try not to get too excited until I see how they react to that jump up in competition. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I really like the idea of a UT guy who has some power, is as small as Pedroia and can man all infield positions very well along with his bat.  I keep thinking to myself that we haven't had a really good UT guy since Alex Cora and it would be nice to get one for once.  I think a good UT guy has to be ready to be a starter for an extended period of time and the player has to be good enough to minimize the dropoff between the two so the difference to the team is not felt too much.

Sounds like a tall task, but if we can develop that guy in house like Mookie then great.  If that doesn't work out, I would be happy to have a solid backup to Pedroia at second in case of a serious injury. That said, this kid hasn't even made it past A ball yet, so I try not to get too excited until I see how they react to that jump up in competition. 

I'm not saying I disagree, because I do think it would be nice to have a really good UIF.  However, the vast majority of UIF aren't going to be that good of players.  They are usually MLB'ers because they provide value in other areas such as positional versatility, good base running, and defense etc etc.  However I can see the Sox one day having a more elite player in that position when David Ortiz is gone and they can rotate players into the DH spot.  In a best case scanario where both Bogaerts and Middlebrooks stick to their positions I can see guys like Garrin Cecchini and Mookie Betts filling that role.

But all things considered, if he is good enough to start....he would provide more value to the team via trade. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'm not saying I disagree, because I do think it would be nice to have a really good UIF.  However, the vast majority of UIF aren't going to be that good of players.  They are usually MLB'ers because they provide value in other areas such as positional versatility, good base running, and defense etc etc.  However I can see the Sox one day having a more elite player in that position when David Ortiz is gone and they can rotate players into the DH spot.  In a best case scanario where both Bogaerts and Middlebrooks stick to their positions I can see guys like Garrin Cecchini and Mookie Betts filling that role.

But all things considered, if he is good enough to start....he would provide more value to the team via trade. 

Total side note, but I just notice that Mookie has 46 steals and only 6 caught stealing between three levels in 2013... didn't realize he had that type of speed.  That is a great asset to have an a UT guy.  The reason why I am pegging him for the UT role is because Pedroia isn't going anywhere barring injury and XB should be manning short for quite some time.  I'm hoping that WMB works out at third, but it is clear that the heir apparent there is Cecchini even if it doesn't.

He is blocked all over the diamond, but not blocked from being a super backup dude with some speed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This is a top tier farm system, one that has so many good players that teams wanting to trade with the sox want their farmhands not their used veterans. Cecchini, Betts, Margot, Wilkerson, Swihart, Vasquez, Denney, Longhi, These guys are all studs! Those guys are position players the pitching is even deeper in prospects. If Betts can play SS or CF he could easily steal some limelight in ST. Cudos to the Sox for building a productive farm system.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

This is a top tier farm system, one that has so many good players that teams wanting to trade with the sox want their farmhands not their used veterans. Cecchini, Betts, Margot, Wilkerson, Swihart, Vasquez, Denney, Longhi, These guys are all studs! Those guys are position players the pitching is even deeper in prospects. If Betts can play SS or CF he could easily steal some limelight in ST. Cudos to the Sox for building a productive farm system.

Why do you keep bringing up Longhi?  He is the 40th ranked prospect in the system and batted 187 in Sub A ball in the GCL.  Denny is the 19th ranked prospect and also in the GCL and hit 200 (albeit with a 370 OBP).  Wilkerson has very underwhelming numbers and isn't even in the top 60 of prospects and has yet to hit over 269 in five seasons in the minors at any level and is 25yrs old. 

We have many very real prospects and your point is noted that we now have some assets to trade... but let's not pretend like anyone is beating our door down for Wilkerson or Longhi... Denny maybe because he's a catcher with potential. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Why do you keep bringing up Longhi?  He is the 40th ranked prospect in the system and batted 187 in Sub A ball in the GCL.  Denny is the 19th ranked prospect and also in the GCL and hit 200 (albeit with a 370 OBP).  Wilkerson has very underwhelming numbers and isn't even in the top 60 of prospects and has yet to hit over 269 in five seasons in the minors at any level and is 25yrs old. 

We have many very real prospects and your point is noted that we now have some assets to trade... but let's not pretend like anyone is beating our door down for Wilkerson or Longhi... Denny maybe because he's a catcher with potential could be a throw in, but they would ask for Lava, Butler, Vasquez or Swihart.  If we get a call for prospects, it is for ones that showed something in the majors or are close to it like Workman, Xander, JBJ, WMB (although not a prospect), Barnes, Ranuado, Webster, Britton.  Lower level guys do not get you a good return except as a filler and a lottery ticket for the trading team usually.  The Badenhop trade is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was just a GCL guy who was traded for a decent MLB player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We have many very real prospects and your point is noted that we now have some assets to trade... but let's not pretend like anyone is beating our door down for Wilkerson or Longhi... Denny maybe because he's a catcher with potential could be a throw in, but they would ask for Lava, Butler, Vasquez or Swihart.  If we get a call for prospects, it is for ones that showed something in the majors or are close to it like Workman, Xander, JBJ, WMB (although not a prospect), Barnes, Ranuado, Webster, Britton.  Lower level guys do not get you a good return except as a filler and a lottery ticket for the trading team usually.  The Badenhop trade is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was just a GCL guy who was traded for a decent MLB player.

Nick Longhi is a really good prospect.  You can in no way judge or decipher anything from a kid in 45 at bats.  He was very young for that draft class, and was actually highly regarded coming into the draft, he fell becusee teams were worried he wouldn't sign due to a strong college commitment....in the end the sox thought enough of him to give him the 4th highest bonus in their draft class, even higher than the guys in the 3rd and 4th round.

Here is what soxprospects had to say about him.

Scouting Report: Outfielder that projects to hit for average as well as power. Nice swing with good bat speed. Good arm. Likely to end up in left field. Will also see time at first base. On the young side for a 2013 draftee.

Heres another nice link

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/10/top-40-season-in-review-nick-longhi-and.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like how deep our farm is, and we certainly have some top prospects as well- more than most teams, but I have this gut feeling that we could be more high on quality rather than quantity. Eventually, these guys are going to reach rule 5 status, and we will lose some good talent. As much as I love keeping all these guys, I'm thinking we might need to make a 3 or 4 prospect for one young stud at some point over the next year or two. Remember, we will also have 3 top 35 draaft picks this year- a year that is rich and deep in talent.

A pleasant problem to have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

The legend of Mookie Betts has begun. I have been following him for awhile and I am very excited too. If he continues to excell next year than we will have something special. I am one of many who loved the time of Ellsbury followed him since he was in the minors and like others I am very bitter and disapointed that he went with the Yankees. I consoled myself thinking that the Red Sox feel very good about jbj and that Ellsbury felt that jbj was very talented also. At the same time I was looking at the system trying to find someone who could compare with Ellsbury. I believe that big bad Mookie Bets could be that player. I tried to compare the two players their minor league of similar age.

Ellsbury age 21  AB139  HR1   AVG317  OBP418  SB23 CS3 

age22  AB506  HR7   AVG303  OBP382 

Mookie   age21  AB521  HR16  AVG303  OBP400  SB46  CS6

Either a CF in a couple of years or maybe RF to replace Victorino. Mookie has a good arm very athletic and faster than Victorino. Let's see what we have next year.

Mookie will be 22 October 7 If he continues like this year we have a special player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

WOW  Where do we get these players !!

The draft....all teams have prospects. 

Except the Skankees! LOL

Sections
Shortcuts