next Red Sox SUPERSTAR = MOOKIE BETTS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: next Red Sox SUPERSTAR = MOOKIE BETTS?

Another under Radar guy Teddy Stankiewicz. Keeping an eye on first full year, at 19. Another guy I'll be keeping a close eye on Tzu-Wei Lin, Iggy of Korea. Tougher for Asian Players to adapt to another Culture. He should improve, well Scouted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to JoeFoyFan's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

WOW  Where do we get these players !!

The draft....all teams have prospects. 

Except the Skankees! LOL

As of lately, their farm system has been very weak yes.  Hopefully that remains forever....no matter how unrealistic that sounds. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to JoeFoyFan's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

WOW  Where do we get these players !!

The draft....all teams have prospects. 

Except the Skankees! LOL

wow, that only took 19 hours!! :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

This is a top tier farm system, one that has so many good players that teams wanting to trade with the sox want their farmhands not their used veterans. Cecchini, Betts, Margot, Wilkerson, Swihart, Vasquez, Denney, Longhi, These guys are all studs! Those guys are position players the pitching is even deeper in prospects. If Betts can play SS or CF he could easily steal some limelight in ST. Cudos to the Sox for building a productive farm system.

Why do you keep bringing up Longhi?  He is the 40th ranked prospect in the system and batted 187 in Sub A ball in the GCL.  Denny is the 19th ranked prospect and also in the GCL and hit 200 (albeit with a 370 OBP).  Wilkerson has very underwhelming numbers and isn't even in the top 60 of prospects and has yet to hit over 269 in five seasons in the minors at any level and is 25yrs old. 

We have many very real prospects and your point is noted that we now have some assets to trade... but let's not pretend like anyone is beating our door down for Wilkerson or Longhi... Denny maybe because he's a catcher with potential could be a throw in, but they would ask for Lava, Butler, Vasquez or Swihart.  If we get a call for prospects, it is for ones that showed something in the majors or are close to it like Workman, Xander, JBJ, WMB (although not a prospect), Barnes, Ranuado, Webster, Britton.  Lower level guys do not get you a good return except as a filler and a lottery ticket for the trading team usually.  The Badenhop trade is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was just a GCL guy who was traded for a decent MLB player.

[/QUOTE]

Nick Longhi is a really good prospect.  You can in no way judge or decipher anything from a kid in 45 at bats.  He was very young for that draft class, and was actually highly regarded coming into the draft, he fell becusee teams were worried he wouldn't sign due to a strong college commitment....in the end the sox thought enough of him to give him the 4th highest bonus in their draft class, even higher than the guys in the 3rd and 4th round.

Here is what soxprospects had to say about him.

Scouting Report: Outfielder that projects to hit for average as well as power. Nice swing with good bat speed. Good arm. Likely to end up in left field. Will also see time at first base. On the young side for a 2013 draftee.

Heres another nice link

[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt that, but he has no trade value at all right now is what I am saying.  The kid needs to do at least a little something in pro ball before having some value for a trade specifically.   The original response was back to the question of other teams coming to the Red Sox to trade for farm hands.  I don't think I was being far fetched by saing that Longhi has no trade value right now and his prospect ranking is an indicator of that.  There are 39 guys right now who have better trade value and I was noting that those are players other teams come to ask us about... not a guy who hasn't even made it to A ball yet and didn't fare well against sub A ball competition no matter the sample size.

If he has a good year this year, then we can talk about him in trade rumors and that was all I am saying.  I don't doubt his talent or that he is a good prospect, just that other teams would not be knocking our door down for him when we have so many MLB ready prospects in the high levels in the minors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I like how deep our farm is, and we certainly have some top prospects as well- more than most teams, but I have this gut feeling that we could be more high on quality rather than quantity. Eventually, these guys are going to reach rule 5 status, and we will lose some good talent. As much as I love keeping all these guys, I'm thinking we might need to make a 3 or 4 prospect for one young stud at some point over the next year or two. Remember, we will also have 3 top 35 draaft picks this year- a year that is rich and deep in talent.

A pleasant problem to have.

I agree, we should turn some of our good prospects into blue chips.  There are only so many spots on the 40 man and these kids run out of time sooner than you think.  We only have a handful of years to develop them before we either lose them to the rule 5 or MiLB free agency.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:

The legend of Mookie Betts has begun. I have been following him for awhile and I am very excited too. If he continues to excell next year than we will have something special. I am one of many who loved the time of Ellsbury followed him since he was in the minors and like others I am very bitter and disapointed that he went with the Yankees. I consoled myself thinking that the Red Sox feel very good about jbj and that Ellsbury felt that jbj was very talented also. At the same time I was looking at the system trying to find someone who could compare with Ellsbury. I believe that big bad Mookie Bets could be that player. I tried to compare the two players their minor league of similar age.

Ellsbury age 21  AB139  HR1   AVG317  OBP418  SB23 CS3 

age22  AB506  HR7   AVG303  OBP382 

Mookie   age21  AB521  HR16  AVG303  OBP400  SB46  CS6

Either a CF in a couple of years or maybe RF to replace Victorino. Mookie has a good arm very athletic and faster than Victorino. Let's see what we have next year.

Mookie will be 22 October 7 If he continues like this year we have a special player.

He plays second base, so I'm not sure you will see him manning the outfield unless the Sox want to turn him into a Chone Figgens type of super sub guy who gets full time guy at bats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I like how deep our farm is, and we certainly have some top prospects as well- more than most teams, but I have this gut feeling that we could be more high on quality rather than quantity. Eventually, these guys are going to reach rule 5 status, and we will lose some good talent. As much as I love keeping all these guys, I'm thinking we might need to make a 3 or 4 prospect for one young stud at some point over the next year or two. Remember, we will also have 3 top 35 draaft picks this year- a year that is rich and deep in talent.

I agree, we should turn some of our good prospects into blue chips.  There are only so many spots on the 40 man and these kids run out of time sooner than you think.  We only have a handful of years to develop them before we either lose them to the rule 5 or MiLB free agency.

Good problem to have. You filter out the ones who you evaluate, who just wont help the club. (Including the ones in the Majors) Keep bringing up the Talent that will.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

This is a top tier farm system, one that has so many good players that teams wanting to trade with the sox want their farmhands not their used veterans. Cecchini, Betts, Margot, Wilkerson, Swihart, Vasquez, Denney, Longhi, These guys are all studs! Those guys are position players the pitching is even deeper in prospects. If Betts can play SS or CF he could easily steal some limelight in ST. Cudos to the Sox for building a productive farm system.

Why do you keep bringing up Longhi?  He is the 40th ranked prospect in the system and batted 187 in Sub A ball in the GCL.  Denny is the 19th ranked prospect and also in the GCL and hit 200 (albeit with a 370 OBP).  Wilkerson has very underwhelming numbers and isn't even in the top 60 of prospects and has yet to hit over 269 in five seasons in the minors at any level and is 25yrs old. 

We have many very real prospects and your point is noted that we now have some assets to trade... but let's not pretend like anyone is beating our door down for Wilkerson or Longhi... Denny maybe because he's a catcher with potential could be a throw in, but they would ask for Lava, Butler, Vasquez or Swihart.  If we get a call for prospects, it is for ones that showed something in the majors or are close to it like Workman, Xander, JBJ, WMB (although not a prospect), Barnes, Ranuado, Webster, Britton.  Lower level guys do not get you a good return except as a filler and a lottery ticket for the trading team usually.  The Badenhop trade is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was just a GCL guy who was traded for a decent MLB player.

Nick Longhi is a really good prospect.  You can in no way judge or decipher anything from a kid in 45 at bats.  He was very young for that draft class, and was actually highly regarded coming into the draft, he fell becusee teams were worried he wouldn't sign due to a strong college commitment....in the end the sox thought enough of him to give him the 4th highest bonus in their draft class, even higher than the guys in the 3rd and 4th round.

Here is what soxprospects had to say about him.

Scouting Report: Outfielder that projects to hit for average as well as power. Nice swing with good bat speed. Good arm. Likely to end up in left field. Will also see time at first base. On the young side for a 2013 draftee.

Heres another nice link

I don't doubt that, but he has no trade value at all right now is what I am saying.  The kid needs to do at least a little something in pro ball before having some value for a trade specifically.   The original response was back to the question of other teams coming to the Red Sox to trade for farm hands.  I don't think I was being far fetched by saing that Longhi has no trade value right now and his prospect ranking is an indicator of that.  There are 39 guys right now who have better trade value and I was noting that those are players other teams come to ask us about... not a guy who hasn't even made it to A ball yet and didn't fare well against sub A ball competition no matter the sample size.

If he has a good year this year, then we can talk about him in trade rumors and that was all I am saying.  I don't doubt his talent or that he is a good prospect, just that other teams would not be knocking our door down for him when we have so many MLB ready prospects in the high levels in the minors.

I 100% agree that his trade value is extremely low right now.  He's 18, not an elite prospect, and has effectively zero pro experience.  Right now would be selling low on him, because we have zero idea what he might be.  

But I don't think his prospect rankings are any real indictation of anything.  I don't think there is really much difference between the 20th guy and the 40th guy.  At least not as much of a separation as you get from #1 to #20.  The further down the rankings you go I think the more fluidity you get.  It's really hard to move up a couple spots when you are a top 5 Ranked prospect, but if you are ranked 40th you could jump 10-15 spots in a few months. 

But yes, effectively, we have NO idea what we have in Longhi.  I do know that he does have a high ceiling, he is not a worthless prospect, but his value is to the Sox organization right now and little to anyone else....that I agree with. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Another under Radar guy Teddy Stankiewicz. Keeping an eye on first full year, at 19. Another guy I'll be keeping a close eye on Tzu-Wei Lin, Iggy of Korea. Tougher for Asian Players to adapt to another Culture. He should improve, well Scouted.

I like the lack of walks Stanky showed in his limited exposure to low A ball... 15 Ks to 2 BB.  The most importaint thing that I look for in young pitchers is control.  If a guy has incredible control while still getting strikeouts, it is somebody to keep an eye on for sure.  Limited exposure at low levels, but initial indications are positive.

I remember when the Sox signed  Tzu-Wei Lin and I was appauled to the amount of money spent on the international free agent... the Sox seem to be cornering the market on soft hitting defensive short stops.  The big concern is that Lin only had a 298 slugging last year in Lowell... that is really really light hitting. 

Out of the bottom ten slugging percentages in the league last year, five of them were short stops with only one reaching as low as 298 in the majors.  Lin only had a 298 slugging in low A ball... if that were in the majors it would be a tie for dead last.  That is how weak hitting that number is.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Good problem to have. You filter out the ones who you evaluate, who just wont help the club. (Including the ones in the Majors) Keep bringing up the Talent that will.

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, if these are the things we are complaining about, then we are some lucky spoiled fans right now!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Definitely a good problem to have, mostly it will work itself out however.  The rule 5 guys have some time to develop I believe it's 3 years for college draftees and 4 years for high school guys.

If you count the last couple months of the season in the year in which they are drafted in, then it is really 3.5 and 4.5 years they have.  That is usually enough time to see where someone is at....as guys approach their rule 5 eligibility they are either knocking on the door and adding to the 40 man is a no-brain er, some may have already found their way into the majors, and others have gone bust by then and are no threat to leave off the 40 man.

Naturally everything mostly falls into place but it does seem that every year we have to move around a few spots on the 40.

I think one thing that seems to make this problem worst every so often is the international signees like Rafael Devers, who signed when he was 16 and is allowed the same amount of time as a high-school draftee who may be 18 at the time.  We started to see it with guys like Almanzar and Luis Diaz this year.  They get in the system for 4-5 years and still have some development to do but are MLB ready.  If that was a normal prospect drafted in the states they would be somewhere between 22-24 years old...but Devers will have only just finished his age 20 season when he becomes rule 5 eligible.  I think MLB should consider changing the rules and give international signings under 18 and extra year before they become eligible....the whole purpose of the rule 5 is to keep guys from getting stuck in the minors. 

We seem to have tons of talent that has flowed in on the international level recently, although odds are some of these guys won't pan out, if we get lucky we may have a huge crunch in a couple years. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts