Next season extra wild card spots !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Next season extra wild card spots !

Now that their will be 2 extra play- off spots will make the season more exciting and interesting. Also giving other low market teams a chance to give the fans at least some post season entertaiment.

The AL div. winners I think will be Balt, Det and Tex- while Chisox, Yanks, Oak, LAA  are fav. to get the WC. The remaining spot in the WC can be any other team's goal. TB KC or Red Sox will be my speculation will be battling it out. The blue jays a long shot.

The NL div winners i think will be Wsh, Cin and LAD- Atl, Stl, SF, Arz, with Philly and Pirates fighting it out with the wild card teams. I will say the Miami will be a dark horse team.

Overall with 2 extra spots for post season birth will give the low market teams the possibilty to make some noise.

For the red sox nation do we really need to go out on a big FA frenzy. Now that their is extra play-off birth, I will say no for my personal  opinion.

I been reading all differ specs from this forum and the names that pop up on the rumours chart are: laroche, napoli , hunter,  majority saying Hamilton will cost too much and 50% are saying that Ellsbury will traded. Wide variety of ideas for a starter.

My personal players that i would like to see wearing a red sox jersey next season to fill the hole are in this order:

(1) Alex Gordon LF the downfall for this trade is that KC wants a starter for this trade to get attention. Something the sox can not afford momentarily.

(2) Youk if willing one year contract to play back up for Middlebrooks and Gomez, He Youk will still get to play some valuable time and will be bonus player for extra inning games.

(3) Starting pitching Haren will be my choice only because Greinke will want a lot of money

(4) Marmol will be good fill for the closer along with bailey once again a trade will need to be look at hear to get Marmol.

My first player i think that will be traded now that Ross from Atl. is catching will be obvious Lavarnway or my preference put him in the minors for a season.

There is no right or wrong here but who would you like to see wearing the Sox uniform next season ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Next season extra wild card spots !

Personally, I would like AGon back at 1B, but I know that is not going to happen.  Neither is Alex Gordon, IMO.

Here is my list, based on favorites among feasible options, understanding that the Sox have money in abundance and few prospects to waste--meaning I prefer signings to trades:

1B Ike Davis (in trade for Salty)

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

SS Iglesias/Ciriaco (with Bogaerts called up in August)

LF Hamilton

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

C Ross/Lavarnway

DH Ortiz

Bench:  Ciriaco, Gomez, Kalish and Podsednik

Grienke

Haren

Lester

Buchholz

Dickey or Niese (in trade for Salty)  with De LaRosa, Webster and Barnes in the wings

Pen:  Bailey, Tazawa, Miller, Hill, Breslow, Mortenson, Atchison

That means Aceves, Morales, Bard, Melancon, Lackey and Doubront are all trade bait (to sweeten the pot with the Mets and land prospects) and possible non-tenders (Aceves).

In 2014 Bradley takes over in CF and De LaRosa takes over for Dickey, if not extended.  A year later, Brentz takes over for Hunter and Barnes or Webster takes over for Haren, Butler or Swihart take over for Ross.

Do I think any of this will happen?  Maybe Haren and Hunter.  C. Ross or R. Ludwick probably plays LF.  And I think LaRoche or Napoli is probably going to end up at 1B, though I would rather Youkilis than Napoli, as I have stated before.  As for pitching, there might be a 2nd tier starter coming through trade, but I am skeptical that the Sox will land the ace they really need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Personally, I would like AGon back at 1B, but I know that is not going to happen.  Neither is Alex Gordon, IMO.

Here is my list, based on favorites among feasible options, understanding that the Sox have money in abundance and few prospects to waste--meaning I prefer signings to trades:

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

LF Hamilton

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

C Ross/Lavarnway

DH Ortiz

Grienke

Haren

Lester

Buchholz

Dickey or Niese (in trade for Salty)  with De LaRosa, Webster and Barnes in the wings

That means Aceves, Morales, Bard, Melancon, Lackey and Doubront are all trade bait (to sweeten the pot with the Mets and land prospects) and possible non-tenders (Aceves).

In 2014 Bradley takes over in CF and De LaRosa takes over for Dickey, if not extended.  A year later, Brentz takes over for Hunter and Barnes or Webster takes over for Haren, Butler or Swihart take over for Ross.

Do I think any of this will happen?  Maybe Haren and Hunter.  C. Ross or R. Ludwick probably plays LF.  And I think LaRoche or Napoli is probably going to end up at 1B, though I would rather Youkilis than Napoli, as I have stated before.  As for pitching, there might be a 2nd tier starter coming through trade, but I am skeptical that the Sox will land the ace they really need.

i would love this lineup..but no way it happens....and as you said...maybe..

laroche at 1B

hunter RF

i would like to see victorino LF

AND FOR STARTING PITCHER?

but i love your lineup but just to much money would have to be spent long term...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I could live with Victorino and Hunter in the corners, especially if both will take 2-year deals.  I just do not think the Sox need long-term deals for any OFers.  I would maybe go 4 with an option for a guy like Hamilton, but with Bradley and Brentz, Kalish and a slew of younger OF talent (maybe even Bogaerts) I see no reason for the Sox to lock anyone up past 2014 except in the case of rare talent (and I do not consider BJ Upton such a talent).  In fact, if Ellsbury would sign a 4-year deal with 5th year option as an extension, I would prefer that and would love two seasons of Victorino, Ells, Hunter (left to right) and fit Brentz and Bradley in as they develop.  That would be a strong OF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If you cannot handle Bailey as a closer during a season in which he was coming off an injury to his pitching hand, you most definitely cannot handle Marmol as a closer given his inability to find the strike zone even when healthy.

Marmol does make games exciting.  Even when they shouldn't be...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

2B Pedroia

3B Middlebrooks

LF Hamilton

CF Ellsbury

RF Hunter

C Ross/Lavarnway

DH Ortiz

Grienke

Haren

Lester

Buchholz

The Sox acquiring Alex Gordon is ar more likely than the Mets dealing Davis for Saltalamacchia...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like to see them put a 1b mit on Lav and send hiom to AAA for a year. Keep salty 1 more year, unless a solid return involving him is presented.

Ross/Salty/? catcher

Maybe a 1year deal player at 1b (Youk/Gomez/Sands?) to see if Lavarnway can do it.

Pedey at 2b

Iggy at SS

WMB 3b

Ells Cf Hunter RF Ross LF (Hunter and Ross on 2 year deals.)

depending on Brentz/JBJ development and a possible move to OF for Bogaerts, 2014-2015 can be Bogaerts LF, JBJ CF, and Brentz RF

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Id like to see them put a 1b mit on Lav and send hiom to AAA for a year. Keep salty 1 more year, unless a solid return involving him is presented.

Ross/Salty/? catcher

Maybe a 1year deal player at 1b (Youk/Gomez/Sands?) to see if Lavarnway can do it.

Pedey at 2b

Iggy at SS

WMB 3b

depending on Brentz/JBJ development and a possible move to OF for Bogaerts, 2014-2015 can be Bogaerts LF, JBJ CF, and Brentz RF

**COUGH*ELLSBURY*COUGH**

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ross/Salty/? catcher

Pedey at 2b

Iggy at SS

WMB 3b

**COUGH*ELLSBURY*COUGH**

This is if they cant trade him. if they dont then they will need all 3 OF positions filled. The problem is they dont want to give more than a 2yr deal to any OF'er due to a bunch of our own prospects being ready within the next 2 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

but will any of our Of prospects even end up being as good as jacoby? you can argue the cost/control factor of them (compared the the hefty contract jacoby is forseen to get) but at the end of the day will any of them even make it to the MLB? will they be able to handle the pressure of boston? will they even be marginal MLB players? at the end of the day their still prospects and i would take the known commodity in Jacoby every day of the week (signed longterm of course).

Say we trade him now or let him walk after 2013 fully expecting brentz and JBJ to fill in the OF along with whoever we get this season (who will probably be under team control for 2 or more years). we'll just say Cody Ross for now.. Our 2014 OF would look like Ross/JBJ/Brentz from LF-RF. what if they struggle as rookies? what if they turn out to be so-so? pretty weak OF in that sense. but if you resign Ells then you have a 2014 OF that looks like Ross/Ells/JBJ OR Brentz. then you don't have to bank on 2 rookies coming in and preforming in a season where the playoffs are a must. Plus you would have the option to trade away either JBJ or Brentz to further bolster our team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Now that their will be 2 extra play- off spots will make the season more exciting and interesting. Also giving other low market teams a chance to give the fans at least some post season entertaiment.

The AL div. winners I think will be Balt, Det and Tex- while Chisox, Yanks, Oak, LAA  are fav. to get the WC. The remaining spot in the WC can be any other team's goal. TB KC or Red Sox will be my speculation will be battling it out. The blue jays a long shot.

The NL div winners i think will be Wsh, Cin and LAD- Atl, Stl, SF, Arz, with Philly and Pirates fighting it out with the wild card teams. I will say the Miami will be a dark horse team.

Overall with 2 extra spots for post season birth will give the low market teams the possibilty to make some noise.

For the red sox nation do we really need to go out on a big FA frenzy. Now that their is extra play-off birth, I will say no for my personal  opinion.

I been reading all differ specs from this forum and the names that pop up on the rumours chart are: laroche, napoli , hunter,  majority saying Hamilton will cost too much and 50% are saying that Ellsbury will traded. Wide variety of ideas for a starter.

My personal players that i would like to see wearing a red sox jersey next season to fill the hole are in this order:

(1) Alex Gordon LF the downfall for this trade is that KC wants a starter for this trade to get attention. Something the sox can not afford momentarily.

(2) Youk if willing one year contract to play back up for Middlebrooks and Gomez, He Youk will still get to play some valuable time and will be bonus player for extra inning games.

(3) Starting pitching Haren will be my choice only because Greinke will want a lot of money

(4) Marmol will be good fill for the closer along with bailey once again a trade will need to be look at hear to get Marmol.

My first player i think that will be traded now that Ross from Atl. is catching will be obvious Lavarnway or my preference put him in the minors for a season.

There is no right or wrong here but who would you like to see wearing the Sox uniform next season ?

Thought that the extra wildcard spot already started this year, not next year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Youk if willing one year contract to play back up for Middlebrooks and Gomez, He Youk will still get to play some valuable time and will be bonus player for extra inning games.

are you kidding? backup gomez?  if gomez is the starting 1B i'm going to be pissed...he is garbage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Have to agree on Gomez.  His MiL stats are good, but if he were really that good, he would have been up playing at a much younger age.  His defense looked pretty bad to me and I think Sands is a better prospect at this point, and I give HIM little chance of being in the regular lineup on a contending team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im curious to see how Sands does in Boston. Mixed reports about him. Sme say bench guy some say he could be an everyday 1b. Has holes in his swing, but had good numbers in ML.

Sections
Shortcuts