NEXT SEASON? Move Nava to third?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

NEXT SEASON? Move Nava to third?

The guy can play first, why not have him work on third base skills in the off season and try to trade Middlebrooks in some package deal to land either an impact bat or pitching?   They may need to replace an outfielder if Ellsbury goes elsewhere.   I would suppose that Victorino would move to center if he does, that would mean they would need to find a power bat outfielder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: NEXT SEASON? Move Nava to third?

In response to Eddymon's comment:

The guy can play first, why not have him work on third base skills in the off season and try to trade Middlebrooks in some package deal to land either an impact bat or pitching?   They may need to replace an outfielder if Ellsbury goes elsewhere.   I would suppose that Victorino would move to center if he does, that would mean they would need to find a power bat outfielder.

Its a fun thought in a vacuum.  But, first base isn't third base.  Some people can play the ghot corner, some can't.  I don't think you can work out a career outfielder and make him a third baseman overnight.  Outfield to first is an easy transition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

wasn't Cabrera a first baseman before moving to 3rd??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Throws left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So you think because Middlebrooks has struggled a few times that he is washed up?

Middlebrooks is 5 years younger than Nava....it would be a cold day in hell when I give up on a kid with this much potential and replace him with a player 5 years older, and move him to a position he's never played.

You did notice that Farrell started Johnny Gomes over Nava in his familiar LF in a very important game? and that Bogaerts was at 3rd....this should tell you something.

A. Bogaerts has potential to replace Middlebrooks at third.

B. Farrell has more confidence in Gomes than Nava.

C. They have two much younger players who are ready to play third RIGHT NOW. Why would they mess with Nava , who is like a Brian Daubach, a guy who came up late and will be back in the minors before he's 33.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Cabrera can't play 3rd either.

They moved him there to make room for Martinez at DH and Prince at 1st.

Did you see the ball go right through his legs?...the guy can hit, but he's an awful fielder and a stupid baserunner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I rest my case.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

How many 3rd baseman throw Left? Cant remember any.

4 Players have played over 50 innings that throw Lefthanded played 3rd Base in History of game. Last Mike Squires.

Hey, keep going, its funny.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Let's not pretend that Nava is even an experienced first baseman.  He's played there in 19 games this year, and not all of those were complete games.  He is definitely still learning the position.

Cabrera played OF and 3B for the Marlins, played 1B for the Tigers for 4 years and then moved back to 3rd when Fielder came to Detroit.  And let's be realistic:  Cabrera is an immensly talented baseball players.  Nava is a great story, but he is at best an average major leaguer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Didn't see this coming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

You guys are too funny about Nava playing 3B at the same time he throw left.

I do not understand about what is these fans are thinking right now.  

They just think they know alot about baseball.  

But they do not!!  They are better off to just be a fan!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

The guy can play first, why not have him work on third base skills in the off season and try to trade Middlebrooks in some package deal to land either an impact bat or pitching?  outfielder.

Answer: the last word of dialogue from movie The Bridge On The River Kwai.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Poster

Madness! Madness!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have Middlebrooks, Bogey and soon Cecchini who play 3B well. Nava should practice more 1B and be our LF'er vs righties next year and back-up 1Bman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We have Middlebrooks, Bogey and soon Cecchini who play 3B well. Nava should practice more 1B and be our LF'er vs righties next year and back-up 1Bman.

ding, ding, ding.  The absolute correct answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

ding, ding, ding.  The absolute correct answer.

If we don't keep Napoli, then Carp and Nava can play 1B well enough, as long as we upgrade somewhere else... (like maybe Bogey > Middy at 3B)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Did you see the ball go right through his legs?...the guy can hit, but he's an awful fielder and a stupid baserunner.

Proof was in the pudding. He can't close the 5 hole and jogging to home was purely comical.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Proof was in the pudding. He can't close the 5 hole and jogging to home was purely comical.

Not making Miigy the DH is reckless management. The guys bat should never be jeapardized by an on the field injury.

The Tigers now have 3 DHs, with two now pretending to be fielders (no pun intended).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Throws left.

^^^These two words should have ended this thread.^^^ 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Throws left.

True enough, but even if he threw right, there's no reason to move hom to a position where we have three young talented players already ready or near ready to play FT there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Throws left.

hey S5.what's up?...i reviewed the chat...see..i told you, mef, mex, SP and Up that you guys can do it without me!..time to start weaning you guys off of my powers Tongue OutWink...if you guys reach the WS..you're on your own!! :-) 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Throws left.

Yep, beat me to it.  Case closed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would like to see Nava on the team again next year. He has done a nice job. Ideally, his role would be fourth outfielder and backup first baseman. Third base is out of the question. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy had a .411 OBP vs righties this year. He was finally healthy pretty much the whole way.

He's 3 for 11 this postseason with 3 walks (6 for 14 on base is a .429 OBP).

I like what Gomes brings for energy, but I think Nava should be playing more vs all these tough righties. We've been swinging at balls all series long. Putting an eagle eye like Daniel in there might help smarten them up, and make them start throwing strikes. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Not making Miigy the DH is reckless management. The guys bat should never be jeapardized by an on the field injury.

The Tigers now have 3 DHs, with two now pretending to be fielders (no pun intended).

I totally agree that Miggy is sub-standard in the field at 3B. 

I find interesting, however, your use of the phrase, 'proof was in the pudding'.  When someone uses the phrase 'the proof of the pudding', the commonly accepted definition or meaning is  'to fully test something you need to experience it yourself.'

However, the proof of the pudding' is just shorthand for 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. That longer version makes more sense, whereas the shortened version actually doesn't mean anything - nor does the often-quoted incorrect variation 'the proof is in the pudding'. The continued use of that version is no doubt bolstered by the fact that the correct version isn't at all easy to understand.

The meaning becomes clear when you know that 'proof' here is a verb meaning 'test'. The more common meaning of 'proof' in our day and age is the noun meaning 'the evidence that demonstrates a truth'

Perhaps, Miggy's ineptitude at 3B is akin to your role as a 'wordsmith'. 

*=)) rolling on the floor *=)) rolling on the floor *=)) rolling on the floor

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

he was a 3b first, moved to 1st then back when Prince was signed

Sections
Shortcuts