Next year looks just as bad !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Next year looks just as bad !!

Tonite, September 13, I watched the latest chapter of the Sox debacle....and I can

honestly say that the only  guys I saw that deserve to be on the team next 

season are Ellsbury, Ciriaco and Pedroia [absentia ]. As to the others...like 

Ross, Salty, Nava, Podsednik, DeJesus, Iglesias, Loney....they are useless on

a major league team.  It's depressing to read the Ian Casselberry post that

includes most of these guys back again in 2013. That just insures another

last place finish. And....I don't want to see Hunter or Swisher.  They are both on

the downside of their careers and have limited futures.  How can one be

optimistic ??   We need two OF positions who can hit, a first baseman, and a

decent hitting catcher, not Salty who is the king of K's !!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Next year looks just as bad !!

2013 could be another bad season, that's for sure.  The reasons for optimism are: a huge amount of payroll room, and some reasonably good prospects in the system.  Also a high draft position this year, if you can look that far ahead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I see next year being substantially better if Ortiz and Middlebrooks return to pre injury 2012 form and we see  some positive signs from Lester, Buch and Lackey. Possibly one or two starters from FA signings and Rubby DLR to go with Doubie.

The Pen should be strong again.

Perhaps a trade of Ells.  Sands, Bradley and Brentz (as has been suggested) get an opportunity.

Things will be different with a new manager.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

oNLY WAY TO GO, IS UP !!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The line up from last nite isnt going to be the same one for next season.

Come on, half of the guys are awful last nite as well for the whole Yankees/Red Sox series.  They either will be send back to AAA or let go or become a bench player.

By the way, the third base coach is also gone too!!!  He blew it two games in a row!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

draft position is meaningless unless you have the #1 pick in a strasburg / Harper type year. 

prospects are .... prospects.  how's that stud SS prospect working out for us? 

SPEND $$$$ MEOW.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Next season should be much better.  The Red Sox are currently missing Ortiz and Middlebrooks.  Some of the current position players will be replaced next season or may return to the minor leagues.  The main need is to improve the pitching for next season.  Lackey is returning and I am remaining optimistic about his contributions to the pitching staff.  If he isn't contributing it won't be easy to trade him either.  Another consideration is if the slight chance that the team is sold.  I realize that they are currently just rumors, but also believe that the team will be sold sometime in the next few years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

oNLY WAY TO GO, IS UP !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Can you say 100 loss season, it Sox as currently constituted, hopeing kids will carry load, is a distinct possibility. Think Sox circa "1965"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks will be back at 3rd, Papi at DH and a healthy Pedey and Ells. No BV to stir up the drama and a whole new managment and coaching staff.

Ross has been solid this year and should be resigned. Lester had one bad year and I refuse to believe that the 2012 version is who he is. Buch is maturing and should only get better. I believe Lackey can give you 14 wins and 200 IP. Doubie should improve his stamina and get better also.

A Torii Hunter on a 1-2 yr deal is not a bad idea as Ive suggested in other threads. Hunter is hitting .309 with a respectable .360 OBP. Great leadership and clubhouse presence that this team desperatly needs to go along with solid defense. hes just a placeholder for the kids.

Guys like Bryce Brentz should see time in Fenway in 2013 as well. Bradley shortly after. Webster and De La Rosa could also see some time along the way. I think Tazawa should compete for a rotation spot as well.

They should and I believe will make some moves to improve this team in 2013, but to say that this team that we are watching now is the team we will see next year is ridiculous. Will the be a WS contender? Maybe not, but crazier things have happened to teams with the right fit of players and chemistry...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As to the others...like 

includes most of these guys back again in 2013. 

Ross is useless?  He has an .850 OPS.

And Pos, DeJesus, and Loney are unlikely to be back.

So the guys that you are mostly complaining about are-

Salty, who is second among MLB catchers in HR

Nava-a #4/5 OF

Iglesias-a rookie next year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Middlebrooks will be back at 3rd, Papi at DH and a healthy Pedey and Ells. No BV to stir up the drama and a whole new managment and coaching staff.

Ross has been solid this year and should be resigned. 

Assuming, and that's a big if, be re-sign Ross & Papi, and someone halfway decent for LF or RF, we'll have a very good lineup.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Well, since the offseason hasn't even started, it's hard to say how next year's team will look.  If ownership is committed to putting a contending team on the field next year, as they say they are, I have no reason to believe that the team can't contend.

I don't think the FO should fall into the same trap of handing out huge contracts to someone like Hamilton.  However, I wouldn't mind the FO slightly overpaying for someone in dollars for a shorter term (2 or 3 year) deal.  There are always players who fly under the radar because they don't have the flashy HR or RBI numbers or because they had a down year, but they potentially have a lot of upside, like Beltre when the Sox signed him a few years back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to marstan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tonite, September 13, I watched the latest chapter of the Sox debacle....and I can

honestly say that the only  guys I saw that deserve to be on the team next 

season are Ellsbury, Ciriaco and Pedroia [absentia ]. As to the others...like 

includes most of these guys back again in 2013. That just insures another

last place finish. And....I don't want to see Hunter or Swisher.  They are both on

the downside of their careers and have limited futures.  How can one be

optimistic ??   We need two OF positions who can hit, a first baseman, and a

decent hitting catcher, not Salty who is the king of K's !!!!!

/QUOTE]

The team is headed in the right direction and dumping 260mil puts us in a great position moving forward even if the team is sold, as long as Henry or whoever buys the club can make intelligent moves.  Next year will be a better year and 2014 even better in my opinion.  The key now is exactly what we are doing, playing the youngsters this year and next to see what we really have.  A new Manager who fits the club better will also happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next season should be much better.  The Red Sox are currently missing Ortiz and Middlebrooks.  Some of the current position players will be replaced next season or may return to the minor leagues.  The main need is to improve the pitching for next season.  Lackey is returning and I am remaining optimistic about his contributions to the pitching staff.  If he isn't contributing it won't be easy to trade him either.  Another consideration is if the slight chance that the team is sold.  I realize that they are currently just rumors, but also believe that the team will be sold sometime in the next few years. 

[/QUOTE]

The main need is to improve the pitching for next season

Where is that going to come from? For decent SP we have Buchholz and........Lester? Doubt it. His ERA this year is over 5 last I checked. He might improve to become a serviceable #4 SP or so. Same for Doubront. It would take a major leap for him to become decent; could happen, but he is just another question mark. Lackey is returning because we cannot get rid of him. He was the worst SP in baseball last year. That should not inspire confidence from anyone here. Delarosa should help a bit, but he is an unproven commodity as yet. Fortunately DiceK and Cook will be gone. Our pitching stunk this year and is unlikely to be much better next year. Sure, we will score lots of runs, but everyone saw where that got us this year: last place. No, I do not see next year as being a whole lot better than this year. If the team is managed (GM) wisely it could become relevant again in about three years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The main need is to improve the pitching for next season

Where is that going to come from? For decent SP we have Buchholz and........Lester? Doubt it. His ERA this year is over 5 last I checked. He might improve to become a serviceable #4 SP or so. Same for Doubront. It would take a major leap for him to become decent; could happen, but he is just another question mark. Lackey is returning because we cannot get rid of him. He was the worst SP in baseball last year. That should not inspire confidence from anyone here. Delarosa should help a bit, but he is an unproven commodity as yet. Fortunately DiceK and Cook will be gone. Our pitching stunk this year and is unlikely to be much better next year. Sure, we will score lots of runs, but everyone saw where that got us this year: last place. No, I do not see next year as being a whole lot better than this year. If the team is managed (GM) wisely it could become relevant again in about three years.

[/QUOTE]

I think we could get to the playoffs next season with a new manager and a few key moves.  Our vets like Papi "if he stays" along with Ells and Pede will also need to stay healthy and productive.  We don't have a horrible team so it's a possibility but I think 2014 is a better bet when we finally see if kids like Bradley, Bogy and Barnes fit in.  Bogaerts is a special player in my opinion but I don't think anyone has a clue what position he may end up playing.  It's a great problem to have if he ends up being an above average athlete/player in two or three positions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Wow.  Negativity abounds here for some.  Here's the way I see it:

Clearly what the Sox were doing wasn't working.  You can say what you want about how good the team is/was and talk about injuries (which I do) but the bottom line is that the team hasn't made the playoffs for three years.  When looking at the structure of the contracts it was pretty plain that some changes had to be made. 

IMO Beckett had to go - and for more reasons than his salary.  But unloading that salary was a definite plus!

Crawford's salary was one of the things hamstringing the future of the team.  Whether CC was "worth it" or not, that salary was making it difficult to make other necessary changes.  IMO this is one of the dangers in putting too many eggs ($$) in one basket.  Baseball is made up of nine players at a time and each one only gets a few defensive chances a game, just as they only get to hit once in a nine-player rotation.  Putting as much money as they did into one player was being unduly optimistic about that player's contribution.  Couple that with his lack of production last year and his  TJ surgery in the off season, CC was getting paid more money than was good for the team.

As for Gonzales, the above paragraph not withstanding, I believe in paying a good hitting GG first baseman a lot of money.  Having a GG at 1st makes the entire infield better because he's involved in more plays than any other player.  He can make the rest of the IF'ers look darn good.  And if he hits like AG did he's going to be worth what he was scheduled to be paid.  Unfortunately he was the "collateral damage" in the trade.  He had to go in order to get rid of the other two.

The good news is that by parting with those three there was a lot of $$$$$$ freed up for the future.  Now they need to spend it right.

Middlebrooks, Pedey, and Ells are the anchors of next year's team.  There are at least two prospects for the SS position (cheap) and the possibility of picking up Tutoliski (Sp?) (expensive) still exists.  That leaves only 1b in the infield to be filled by a reasonably priced FA.

Ross should be back to at least platoon in the corner OF positions which leaves 1 1/2 OF posiitions to be filled by trade or a reasonably priced FA.  And I can live with Salty/Lava at catcher until they prove they can't do the job.  I'm not crazy about it, but I can live with it.

Papi is Papi and I'd gamble that he'll be ok.  If not the team can always go to the DH by committee, which isn't the worst idea in the world in terms of flexibility of the roster.

Which leaves us with starting pitching. 

Lackey - who knows?  A pessimistic person would say that he was no good last year and he won't be any better next year.  An optimist would say that he pitched in pain last year and this year, post surgery, he's got to be better.  He's a crap shoot.

Lester - Will the real John Lester please stand up!  This guy has the potential to be the LH ace but IMO needs to work more on the mental aspects of the game than he needs to work on his stuff.  He's got good stuff... he just needs to trust it, know when to throw it, and not let outside influences get in the way of his pitching. 

Buch - Probably the best thing we've got going forward. 'Nuf said, although his stature concerns me.  (Oops.  I used the "C" word.  Does that make me a "C Troll"?  :-)) I like my pitchers with a little more meat on their bones. 

I don't have unrealisitic expectations for 2013, but I think it's realistic to think next year's team will win 90 games.  I also think that 2013 will be a <gasp> "bridge year" until 2014 when things will sort themselves out. 

I just hope that the FO and the fans don't see that HUGE pile of money and believe the team should spend it just because it's there.  I'd rather see them reserve a part of it until 2014 and make wiser choices than they have in the past.  It HAS seemed to me that they're thrown a lot of money in the direction of certain players in the hope that their production would equal what they were getting paid, and that doesn't always happen. 

Another reason for my longer-range optimism is because I'm a Bill James fan and I believe that James will lead the team back in the direction they were in back in '04 when they made choices based on what a player SHOULD DO rather than the old school style of looking at what a player HAS DONE.  The thing is, it may take more than one year to accumulate these players.

In a nutshell, and to paraphrase the philosopher Jagger, Next year may not be what we want, but it might be what we need.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can see why Pumpsie got booted out of Sauxheads.

[/QUOTE]

Check again. Its Trufan.com and scroll down to the Boston Red Sox team page, Sawxheads. I am alive and well there. Sorry to disappoint you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

As for all the Papi will be  back comments, I tend to doubt it..Way before it was official I suggested he would not finish the season.. I also speculated he might even come to the Yanks(mostly wishful thinking), although given all their aging players and Nunez' presence  that is unlikely..He wants to be on a contender, judging by the interviews...The RS will not even be close during the 2013 bridge phase...

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts