Nice effort, bailey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Nice effort, bailey

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Reddick will probably finish in the top ten in the MVP voting.  Bailey has an ERA over 6.00 after missing most of the season. Sweeney has been no help.  For now , the trade is lopsided in the A's favor.  Maybe next year will be different, but right now it looks like a mistake.  It was made because of the loss of Papelbon.  He is sorely missed. What else can you say ? It has been a year to forget.

You are right about Papelbon.  He was always one of my favorite Red Sox players but I still don't believe that he wanted to remain with the Red Sox.  The only way he might have remained with the Red Sox is we offered him more than he got from Philadelphia,  which is highly unlikely.  Even he was offered more money I am still not sure that he would have resigned with the Red Sox. 

I do think it was the combination wanted more years and money at the same time he saw Francona leaving the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Bailey just had a very bad night; it happens to almost all relief pitchers.  He just not start making it a habit like Aceves did by blowing braces of games. It does seem to me to point out something I mentioned on another board.  It seems like everything Cherington touches turns to sh@t.  Aside from the Ross signing he has been a complete non-entity for the Red Sox, easily in my opinion much more of a liability than an asset.  In fact, he hasn't been an asset all except maybe to the opposition.  I want to see Bailey in a closer situation tonight or tomorrow to see how he comes back from that debacle last night.  If he does we know it was just a bad game; if not, we might have another Aceves or, God help us all, another Bar(f(d on our hands.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Reddck went 0-4 last night

Must

be

fired.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

By the way Since the all star break Reddick is hitting 223

But yeah Bailey did have a bad inning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

He is nasty and he does have electric stuff.

He stunk last night.

See how I can avoid hyperbole?  It isn't that hard.

You also did great avoiding a 6.75 ERA discussion.  You really don't find that hard either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm sure Billy Beane is laughing at us, "haha thanks for giving me Reddick."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

186 career IPs, with a 2.37 ERA.

Only in the RSN can an entire thread be devoted to one bad inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I can't wait to hear the excuses for Bailey next year.  That is one thing that fans excel at -  excuses.  Of course it is sad when the excuses must engage in the mental contortions regarding two players.  Not only must Bailey be grossly exaggerated as a talent - but we must also berate daily the best player on the A's because if we admit that Reddick has had a remarkable season - it will undermine our Bailey support narrative.

Amusing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Reddick has had an outstanding year.  Bailey has not.  Sweeney has not.  Advantage - A's.  That is not even arguable.  Will next year be different ?  We will see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Reddick is now at .248/.780 for the year, near his career norms of .248/.751. He had a fast start, but since the ASB he has been at .223/.653. In the end my guess is that the trade will work in the favor of the Red Sox. Bailey, if he can stay healthy, should be fine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Anyone who uses the states of a pitcher coming back from surgery on his hand, is cherry picking and just being a negative nelly. Its to be expected to have to get back up to game speed. At least those who actually understand the game know this.

How about we look at Bailey's whole body of work, not just a month returning from hand surgery...

in 3yrs with Oakland he has a career 2.07 ERA 0.954 WHIP and a 205 ERA+ 186 IP with the same amount of K's and only 49 BB.

Everyone knows he had some issues with injuries, but this team needed a legit closer and Bailey is legit. Ill save a true evaluation until the end of 2013.

I think he wil do very well in Boston an a reasonable cost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beane is recognized as one of the sharpest G.M.s in the business.  Cherington is a rookie.  Does anyone think that Beane would reverse that trade ?  Of course not.  Would Cherington reverse it ? Maybe .   Like I said , let's see what happens next year.  But if Reddick develops into an All Star , and Bailey fizzles or misses half the season , don't come back with more excuses.   Just admit that it was a bad trade.  Cherington , like anyone else , needs to learn from his mistakes. Refusing to acknowledge that something was a mistake does not help.   As of today ,  trading Reddick for Bailey was a mistake.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Reddick is now at .248/.780 for the year, near his career norms of .248/.751. He had a fast start, but since the ASB he has been at .223/.653. In the end my guess is that the trade will work in the favor of the Red Sox. Bailey, if he can stay healthy, should be fine.

I agree, for the most part.  Ross has a higher OBP, SLG, and OPS, and more runs and RBIs per AB.  Ross also costs more, but I'd prefer Ross and Bailey for $6.9M than Reddick and Aceves (for example) at $1.7M.  I think both teams are fine with the trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Beane is recognized as one of the sharpest G.M.s in the business.  Cherington is a rookie.  Does anyone think that Beane would reverse that trade ?  Of course not.  Would Cherington reverse it ? Maybe .   Like I said , let's see what happens next year.  But if Reddick develops into an All Star , and Bailey fizzles or misses half the season , don't come back with more excuses.   Just admit that it was a bad trade.  Cherington , like anyone else , needs to learn from his mistakes. Refusing to acknowledge that something was a mistake does not help.   As of today, trading Reddick for Bailey was a mistake.

If Bailey and Reddck both have full years, I'd bet on Bailey having more value.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'd just like someone to state when bailey is actually going to be ready - since it is cherry picking to judge his stats coming back from hand surgery.

Will he be accountable/ready next April? 

Reddick at 25 years old made great strides in his first full season as a starter.  I wonder why people think he won't get better at ages 26, 27, 28?  Apparently the idea od Reddick continuing to improve is outrageous to some people

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the only member of a ball team that is less important than a closer in the bullpen is the long/middle relievers...thats it...

the idea that Bailey will have more worth than a guy in his mid 20s who can hit  homers is silly...bootlickers never give up..

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't wait to hear the excuses for Bailey next year.  That is one thing that fans excel at -  excuses.  Of course it is sad when the excuses must engage in the mental contortions regarding two players.  Not only must Bailey be grossly exaggerated as a talent - but we must also berate daily the best player on the A's because if we admit that Reddick has had a remarkable season - it will undermine our Bailey support narrative.

Amusing.

I think you are amusing as well my friend.  You said nothing while Bailey pitched well then ran to your computer to put up this post when he had a bad inning. Then you say "wow he is nasty" openly mocking me apparently because I have actually seen Bailey pitch before.  Reddick is hitting 150 in September.  Bailey got shelled two nights ago.

Calm down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the only member of a ball team that is less important than a closer in the bullpen is the long/middle relievers...thats it...

the idea that Bailey will have more worth than a guy in his mid 20s who can hit  homers is silly...bootlickers never give up..

What a cute name to call people that don't agree with you.  Wait...you like Bobby V don't you  Bootlicker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

What a cute name to call people that don't agree with you.  Wait...you like Bobby V don't you  Bootlicker.

Georom just likes to whine about EVERYTHING.  If he didn't claim to be a History teacher, I'd swear he was a 6 year old girl who just lost her teddy bear. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pike's comment:

Reddick is 0 for 6 today. Don't confuse logic with bootlicking. You don't assess a trade until both components of the trade are playing healthy. Even a simpleton should know that. Any reasonable person would say to wait, too soon to decide. This Georom fella teaches history but is devoid of logic.

Dude is flatlining.  12-83 this month, 1 HR, and a 22/5.  Lower OPS this month than Iglesias.  1-20 over the past 4 days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

This might be a little too much effort dedicated to Josh Reddick, who needs a strong finish to 2012 to equal the slash line Jeff Francoeur posted last season.

In fact, Reddick's .248 / .311 / .469 slash line is actually looking a little bit too much like the .293 / .338 / .444 slash line Francouer had at the same age.  .780 OPS for Reddick or a .782 for Francouer?  Pretty equal.

Or did Francouer have that season at 23 years old, and not 25? 

Maybe the Sox can "undo" this trade by simply acquiring Francoeur from the Royals, who are all but giving him away...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

when Bay and Vmart werent resigned, their subsequent injuries were proof of the wisdon of the GM to make the right move by letting them walk (even though their time in Fenway was stellar)...when our GM trades for a lemon like Bailey and gives up a guy who is an all star and exceeding all expectations in a position that we sorely needed, it must not be evaluated UNTIL the said lemon heals and baseball reference.com nonsense can be measured in 3-5 years...

did i get that right?

stupid trade, admit it and move on...Snake you carried more water for this guy all year for reasons that escape me (because other than that, you seem quite wise)...

i started a very popular thread about a month ago stating my reasons why Bobby V SHOULD be FIRED...my bottom line reasoning was the bootom line...he lost way too many games....i truly believe that Ben and LL undermined him with all those stupid moves and backstabbing BUT the record matters....if bailey has a built in excuse for 2012 than what about Bobby V????

how about just judging them by their performance?

Sections
Shortcuts