NICE play by DREW........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: NICE play by DREW........

There ya go Bill.  I knew you had it in you.  Get used to it.  Drew is not Iggy by any stretch of the imagination.  But he is far far better than the butcher some folks were making him out to be in order to bolster their Iggy arguments.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As far as I know, only softy called him a "butcher".  I said he was probably "average at best", and nothing I have seen so far has changed my mind on that.

Average MLB SSs do make some very nice plays here and there, and Drew has made a couple very nice ones so far.. At times, average SSs may make easy plays look like good/great ones.

Drew did improve his fielding since he first broke into the majors, so there is a possibility he is by now an average plus fielding SS. I know Scutaro and Aviles ended up better than I expected in the field, so I am keeping an open mind.

So far- so good on his defense. His hitting does not concern me. He will come around soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Credit, where credit is due !!!!

I believe Drew came back last Wednesday and I haven't seen a ball get by him that Iggy would have fielded.  I thought there would be something like 4 or 5 times a week that Drew would fail to make a play on a ball that Iggy would've made a spectacular play on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

I believe Drew came back last Wednesday and I haven't seen a ball get by him that Iggy would have fielded.  I thought there would be something like 4 or 5 times a week that Drew would fail to make a play on a ball that Iggy would've made a spectacular play on.

IMO as good as Iggy is, some tend to overstate the difference between someone as good as he is and an above-average (my opinion of what Drew is) or even an average SS (Scutaro, Aviles).

I think Iggy can make a difference but not as much as some state and less so if he can't hit. I want Iggy in the long run if he can hit respectable, but for now, I'll take Drew.

I will say that the play Saturday that Drew deflected and Pedroia threw out the batter at 1B was one that Iggy might have fielded cleanly and turned the DP. However, just because a fielder is as good as Iggy, it doesn't mean that he won't get handcuffed on a play nor make errors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I assume you are refering to my comment that I felt Iggy would make 60-100+ more plays than Drew over 150 games. That's about 40-66% more. We've played 11 games so far, and I haven't watched todays game yet, so in the first 10, I counted 2 sure plays Iggy made that I do not think drew would have made and 1-2 others that were close calls. Drew has made all the plays he was supposed to make so far, and 1-2 nice ones, but I think there was 1 I felt Iggy would have gotten too. I have it written in my log at home, so i can't be specific now, but I have it at 3 plays per 10 games (30%), but it could be argued it has been 4-5 plays per 10 games (40-50%). That's not too far from my projection, but I will say that from what I've seen in a tiny sample size so far on Drew, he's looked fine in the field, and my numbers might end up more like 30-45% than 40-66% when the season is done.

Look, I admitted I was wrong about Aviles in the field last year, and I don't see many other people doing what BILL did here today...

admit to reality.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

IMO as good as Iggy is, some tend to overstate the difference between someone as good as he is and an above-average (my opinion of what Drew is) or even an average SS (Scutaro, Aviles).

I think Iggy can make a difference but not as much as some state and less so if he can't hit. I want Iggy in the long run if he can hit respectable, but for now, I'll take Drew.

I will say that the play Saturday that Drew deflected and Pedroia threw out the batter at 1B was one that Iggy might have fielded cleanly and turned the DP. However, just because a fielder is as good as Iggy, it doesn't mean that he won't get handcuffed on a play nor make errors.

Well put, and Iggy will surely make some errors on plays Drew makes.

I counted the play you were talking about as a play Iggy would have made, but I can't think of the other play off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to be down on Drew. He has looked fine out there on D. Not everyone can field like Iggy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

todays play was pretty awesome Moon...I think he would get to more balls than you would give him credit for. Although I still think its impossible to figure out which ones that he would since you have to take positioning into consideration as well and have no idea on that.

Either way, I know you will give credit where credit is due. You've proved that with Salty, and Aviles.

Ive counted 2-3 runs hes saved by making good plays so far this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He also made a very acrobatic play early in the game on Joyce's bunt in the overshift. He didn't get the out but I was shocked he even made the play.

Yesterday he saved the no hit bid. I feel certain the Sox are fortunate to have him and Ciriaco and Iggy.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

todays play was pretty awesome Moon...I think he would get to more balls than you would give him credit for. Although I still think its impossible to figure out which ones that he would since you have to take positioning into consideration as well and have no idea on that.

Either way, I know you will give credit where credit is due. You've proved that with Salty, and Aviles.

I do not doubt you. I will watch the game tonight when I get home.

Are you saying Drew has made 2-3 plays Iggy would not have made? Or, 2 that an average SS would not have made? (Just curious)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Are you saying Drew has made 2-3 plays Iggy would not have made? Or, 2 that an average SS would not have made? (Just curious)

I think when calculating Iglesias's defensive contribution, you should factor in the fact that he is relatively error-prone.  He would average about 23 errors for a full season right now, which is about double what Drew would give you.  That comes with the territory with shortstops with great range - they get to the balls others can't but sometimes throw it away.  But not only do you have 10 more men on base, but those men are likely on second base.  If Drew can't get to a ball that Iglesias does, it squirts into right-field, but the runner is only at first.

If, when all is said and done, we're talking about 20-30 bases saved by Iglesias, do you still want him in the lineup over Drew?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Missed the play which broke up the no-hitter. Any chance  Iglesias would get to that ball. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy would have made the im pretty sure. Im not comparing the two. Just saying he has saved a couple runs since he started. the one today was something I dont think an average SS would have got. The quickness of diving and popping right back up to make the throw to first.

Longo did beat the throw but they called him out. He should have been out anyway, but 2 strikes were called balls before the hit. Funny, because Longo made a nice play on a grounder from pedey and Pedey was safe at 1st because Loneys foot came off the bag, but they called him out anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Missed the play which broke up the no-hitter. Any chance  Iglesias would get to that ball. 

That didnt break up the no no. the bloop to RF did in the 8th.

that ball shot up on him and he did a fine job of blocking it with his chest. Iggy has a tendency to field balls to his side and that one might have went over his glove, Drew saved a run by blocking that bad hop. It rolled to Pedey where he threw to 1b and got the runner out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I think when calculating Iglesias's defensive contribution, you should factor in the fact that he is relatively error-prone.  He would average about 23 errors for a full season right now, which is about double what Drew would give you.  That comes with the territory with shortstops with great range - they get to the balls others can't but sometimes throw it away.  But not only do you have 10 more men on base, but those men are likely on second base.  If Drew can't get to a ball that Iglesias does, it squirts into right-field, but the runner is only at first.

If, when all is said and done, we're talking about 20-30 bases saved by Iglesias, do you still want him in the lineup over Drew?

If it's 20-30 total bases, no, but I think it may be 35-45 minimum and perhaps 100 maximum. I'm not sure Iggy would make 23 errors to 12 by Drew either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

that ball shot up on him and he did a fine job of blocking it with his chest. Iggy has a tendency to field balls to his side and that one might have went over his glove, Drew saved a run by blocking that bad hop.

Not that play, I mean the broken bat short bloop over the infield in the eighth of yesterday's game.  

Sections
Shortcuts