Nice to know it's NOT my Imagination

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Nice to know it's NOT my Imagination

Did anyone see the Globe article on the Red Sox game times...? Apparently Sox games are the longest in MLB...and overall the game times are just getting longer, currently at 3.11 hours not including TV time outs and such. You can see that this easily pushes the total game up to the 4 hour range.  Meanwhile..last summer our average Lowell Spinners game was approximately 2.5 hours.

The Globe article is fairly long but what I came away with are some common sense things the league could do to limit the amount of wasted time. For example..in the minor leagues a batter is not allowed to step out of the box if has not swung at the previous pitch. Another thing you don't see in the minor leagues is guys stepping out of the batter's box after every pitch to well..adjust just about everything including batter's gloves, helmets..etc.  I have to say the constant adjusting of batting gloves is annoying to watch. All I can think if is "get a pair that fits..".

I love baseball..but the slow pace of MLB games can be a bit much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Nice to know it's NOT my Imagination

I don't disagree, cricket, but what can ya do?  Some things are just bigger than us.  Personally I do a lot of multi-tasking watching the games.  Sometimes I watch while the Sox are batting and do chores while the other team is batting.  Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't disagree, cricket, but what can ya do?  Some things are just bigger than us.  Personally I do a lot of multi-tasking watching the games.  Sometimes I watch while the Sox are batting and do chores while the other team is batting.  Smile

Yeah, I'm not quite glued to the screen.  I don't know why, but the time between pitches doesn't bother me.  Maybe it is 'tense' time.  What bothers me is 3 throws over to 1st for guys that aren't running, or sometimes just standing on the bag.  Or the occasional cat-and-mouse game where the pitcher stares in for 5 seconds, causing the batter to then step out, and then repeating the process.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Good morning Hfxsoxnut  Laughing

Same here.  When the opposing team is batting, I do chores too.   LOL

But if it is only a one-run or two-run game, I will watch the whole game. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another factor is the 'drive up the pitch count' strategy of batters 'seeing a lot of pitches'.  And we love it when the Sox succeed at this.  I'm sure most Sox fans were happy about making Wilson throw 32 pitches in the first inning last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Did anyone see the Globe article on the Red Sox game times...? Apparently Sox games are the longest in MLB...and overall the game times are just getting longer, currently at 3.11 hours not including TV time outs and such. You can see that this easily pushes the total game up to the 4 hour range.  Meanwhile..last summer our average Lowell Spinners game was approximately 2.5 hours.

The Globe article is fairly long but what I came away with are some common sense things the league could do to limit the amount of wasted time. For example..in the minor leagues a batter is not allowed to step out of the box if has not swung at the previous pitch. Another thing you don't see in the minor leagues is guys stepping out of the batter's box after every pitch to well..adjust just about everything including batter's gloves, helmets..etc.  I have to say the constant adjusting of batting gloves is annoying to watch. All I can think if is "get a pair that fits..".

I love baseball..but the slow pace of MLB games can be a bit much.

They could cut down the amount of time between innings...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Haha..I actually do a lot of multi-tasking while "watching" the Sox. More often than not..I listen to them on the radio. It's not like hockey or basketball where I am glued to the TV lest I miss something..lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

Haha..I actually do a lot of multi-tasking while "watching" the Sox. More often than not..I listen to them on the radio. It's not like hockey or basketball where I am glued to the TV lest I miss something..lol

[/QUOTE]

I get my NESN feed through DirecTV.  I've learned that there's about a 10 second lag between the time Stiggy describes a play on the radio and it appears on TV.  That means that if I have something else to do I can be nearly anywhere in the house listening to the game on the radio, and if something exciting happens I can dash to the tv and watch it ten seconds later! 

I can hear the whole game and see anything I want to see.  :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone else also flip between a B's playoff game and a reg season Sox game?  Wow.  I love both games, but that's like watching a Model T versus a Mustang.

The Sox hit 4+ hours in one of those games yesterday (night game, I think).  Four hours for a regular season game, and that's without using replay at all.  Just too much, especially when one of the biggest criticisms about the sport has to do with time of play. 

I have yet to see a pitcher get called for a delay on the mound, but it happens every game.  Batters no longer even ask the ump if they can step out of the box.  They just do it; these days it's like 100 times per game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember Nomar's constant adjustments between every pitch?

That killed me.

(That and Fisk's constant cup adjusting behind the plate.)

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Mike Hargrove was the worst ever.  Every one of his at-bats was torture to watch.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Remember Nomar's constant adjustments between every pitch?

That killed me.

(That and Fisk's constant cup adjusting behind the plate.)

Sox4ever

Ha Ha. Fisk was pretty slow at the plate, too. Can you remember when he would hit against Rick Wise? Those at bats could take 15 or 20 minutes sometimes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I get my NESN feed through DirecTV.  I've learned that there's about a 10 second lag between the time Stiggy describes a play on the radio and it appears on TV.  That means that if I have something else to do I can be nearly anywhere in the house listening to the game on the radio, and if something exciting happens I can dash to the tv and watch it ten seconds later! 

You're cheating...LOL

Actually, and I'll get a lot of flack for this, but I really don't like listening to him.  The reason?..he exaggerates all the calls..."AND THERE'S A DRIVE...caught in short center field".  Do you know what I mean?  It really irritates me and he seems to continually do this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I know exactly what you mean!  I've learned to to be suckered in by his initial reaction.  :-)  At the same time I've also learned that I don't need to hear the score to know how the Sox are doing on any particular day.  Just turn on the radio and listen to Stiggy.  His voice tells it all. 

To me Stiggy is like Fenway Park - a Red Sox institution.  They each have their flaws but at the same time they're also part of the Red Sox so you live with them.  Smile

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Ive never understood the batting glove thing either. When I put my gloves on and go hit, I put them on and thats it. Why do you need to pull the velcro apart and tighten them after every pitch?  Put them on and be done with it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Ive never understood the batting glove thing either. When I put my gloves on and go hit, I put them on and thats it. Why do you need to pull the velcro apart and tighten them after every pitch?  Put them on and be done with it. 

Respect the ritual. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Anyone else also flip between a B's playoff game and a reg season Sox game?  Wow.  I love both games, but that's like watching a Model T versus a Mustang.

The Sox hit 4+ hours in one of those games yesterday (night game, I think).  Four hours for a regular season game, and that's without using replay at all.  Just too much, especially when one of the biggest criticisms about the sport has to do with time of play. 

I have yet to see a pitcher get called for a delay on the mound, but it happens every game.  Batters no longer even ask the ump if they can step out of the box.  They just do it; these days it's like 100 times per game.

I've been doing that...but only switching to the Sox in between hockey periods. I think it was probably pretty common practice these last couple of weeks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Okay..that is too funny...!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Expand the Strike Zone

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Expand the Strike Zone

Bobby, I responded to you on the gamehthread, not sure if you saw it. Good to see you're still around and hope all is well. Most of the gamethreaders have gone to a live chat, mef set up for BDC posters. You're more than welcome, as is everyone. here is the link:

http://www.chatzy.com/77965231706969

Limit to visits to the mound, or at least the amount of time. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

These slo-mo pitchers make me nuts! When Josh was on the mound, I could eat lunch while he went into his trance between pitches.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Bobby, I responded to you on the gamehthread, not sure if you saw it. Good to see you're still around and hope all is well. Most of the gamethreaders have gone to a live chat, mef set up for BDC posters. You're more than welcome, as is everyone. here is the link:

http://www.chatzy.com/77965231706969

You may want to be forewarned.  The live chat is addictive.  Smile

Sections
Shortcuts