Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP and his lack of range and foot quickness and slow throwing release. He's popped up for a wind blown single, and had a check swinging bunt single against the RHP. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Lowrie made a nice try on that tough in the hole play in the 7th inning, nothing to be ashamed about it because he would have had him if he had taken a little off the lob throw because it was a slower runner.

As I write this, he took his eye off the easy little league DP ball, but that will happen to anyone who plays a lot of SS. That ends Lester's day, which is outstanding because he did not have his best stuff. 

I think it's important for fans to deflate the Lowrie expectations and allow him to mature. He's really a 2nd baseman, but if he's platooned he will excel and avoid the unrelastic expectations that have overinflated from his part-time duty of a year ago and his early part-time duty start to the season. He fits really well platooning v. LHP at SS and backing up 3rd, 2B, 1B and as a valuable pinch hitter option off the bench. 

Scutaro has the biggest hit of the year to beat the Yankees, and had a very good SS year vs. his peers, a year ago. Dropping Scutaro down to around 120 starts at SS and using Lowrie vs. most LHP is an excellent formula for this team. Lowrie would get about 60 starts at SS, 10 at 2B, 12 at 1B, and about 30 at 3B when Youk DH's against the tougher Lefty starters on Ortiz. That's about 112 starts, and he'll see a  lot of pinch hit and late inning playing time on top of that. It keeps expectations under control and puts Lowrie in the best position to help this team and succeed with his skill set. 

The Red Sox had Lowrie's role correct, this spring, given the team in place. 

The last thing that is needed is for fans to pressure management into starting Lowrie everyday and then expecting him to be an All-Star SS who hits at a high level vs. RHP. It's not in Lowrie's best interest or the best interest of the team. 

Iglesias should be the starting SS for 2012, and fans need to leave him a lone if he hits .200. Lowrie deserves a chance to play everyday at 2B, where he has a chance to have a pretty good and longer MLB career. They could keep him where he'd be a solid contributor in the role he's in, but that's not fair to Lowrie. He's not a 3B or SS on an everday career basis, but 2B would allow him his best chance to excel. It's a good problem to have, but going forward to 2012, the Red Sox and Lowrie would probably both benefit with a trade. The Red Sox need a good catcher and a good young RH OF'er, and I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to give Lowrie a shot as an everyday 2nd bagger. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

Lowrie should be starting at SS. In case you haven't noticed we need his bat and he's not any worse a fielder than Scutaro. His bat is clearly better than Scutaro's at this point in time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!:
    [QUOTE]Lowrie should be starting at SS. In case you haven't noticed we need his bat and he's not any worse a fielder than Scutaro. His bat is clearly better than Scutaro's at this point in time.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

J-LO should be leading off, and the everyday SS until he get injure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP

He had an .823 last year.  He has a 1.192 this year.  You're obsession has you blabbering almost incoherently.

Last year, I thought Hall was a weak pickup.  He had an excellent year for a bench guy.  I didn't go around badmouthing him for no other reason than he proved me wrong.

Serious, if you cannot deal with Lowrie's success, then you to stop watching the RS.  This is really unhealthy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Yes I agree J-lo should start until he get injure. Looks like you need to solve the Bruins issues they really need you now. Hopefully the chara Injure will be short lived along with CJ as he must have taken the Terry Francona class on how to run a club!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : J-LO should be leading off, and the everyday SS until he get injure.
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP He had an .823 last year.  He has a 1.192 this year.  You're obsession has you blabbering almost incoherently. Last year, I thought Hall was a weak pickup.  He had an excellent year for a bench guy.  I didn't go around badmouthing him for no other reason than he proved me wrong. Serious, if you cannot deal with Lowrie's success, then you to stop watching the RS.  This is really unhealthy.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe, don't waste your time trying to use things like numbers and facts here, c'mon.  You know better than that. 

Lowrie did only have a .250 avg last year against righties, but that was largely caused by a .259 BABIP.  That's kind of a scary thought since his BABIP shows that he should perform above an .823 OPS level against righties.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Nice Try Jed Lowrie!:
    [QUOTE]I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP and his lack of range and foot quickness and slow throwing release. He's popped up for a wind blown single, and had a check swinging bunt single against the RHP. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Lowrie made a nice try on that tough in the hole play in the 7th inning, nothing to be ashamed about it because he would have had him if he had taken a little off the lob throw because it was a slower runner. As I write this, he took his eye off the easy little league DP ball, but that will happen to anyone who plays a lot of SS. That ends Lester's day, which is outstanding because he did not have his best stuff.  I think it's important for fans to deflate the Lowrie expectations and allow him to mature. He's really a 2nd baseman, but if he's platooned he will excel and avoid the unrelastic expectations that have overinflated from his part-time duty of a year ago and his early part-time duty start to the season. He fits really well platooning v. LHP at SS and backing up 3rd, 2B, 1B and as a valuable pinch hitter option off the bench.  Scutaro has the biggest hit of the year to beat the Yankees, and had a very good SS year vs. his peers, a year ago. Dropping Scutaro down to around 120 starts at SS and using Lowrie vs. most LHP is an excellent formula for this team. Lowrie would get about 60 starts at SS, 10 at 2B, 12 at 1B, and about 30 at 3B when Youk DH's against the tougher Lefty starters on Ortiz. That's about 112 starts, and he'll see a  lot of pinch hit and late inning playing time on top of that. It keeps expectations under control and puts Lowrie in the best position to help this team and succeed with his skill set.  The Red Sox had Lowrie's role correct, this spring, given the team in place.  The last thing that is needed is for fans to pressure management into starting Lowrie everyday and then expecting him to be an All-Star SS who hits at a high level vs. RHP. It's not in Lowrie's best interest or the best interest of the team.  Iglesias should be the starting SS for 2012, and fans need to leave him a lone if he hits .200. Lowrie deserves a chance to play everyday at 2B, where he has a chance to have a pretty good and longer MLB career. They could keep him where he'd be a solid contributor in the role he's in, but that's not fair to Lowrie. He's not a 3B or SS on an everday career basis, but 2B would allow him his best chance to excel. It's a good problem to have, but going forward to 2012, the Red Sox and Lowrie would probably both benefit with a trade. The Red Sox need a good catcher and a good young RH OF'er, and I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to give Lowrie a shot as an everyday 2nd bagger. 
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Lowrie is one of the keys to this very shaky offense at the moment.  Until he shows otherwise he is pencilied in as the starting shortstop, questionable defense notwithstanding.  Tito is going with the hot hand at the moment judging from what he is getting(or more accurately NOT getting) out of Youk, Crawford and some other underachievers I can certainly understand why!

Youk appears to be starting to come around and to his credit he has admited to being the biggest problem with the offense which I actually don't agree with but I like Youk's willingness to take it on!  Crawford is just plain awful and I would bet that he is pressing to prove he is worth 20 million per year which happens to certain players when they sign these 8 and 9 figure contracts.  He will come around I am confident.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Jed Lowrie needs to be in the everyday line-up. 

Especially tomorrow since Dice-K is pitching.  lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP and his lack of range and foot quickness and slow throwing release. He's popped up for a wind blown single, and had a check swinging bunt single against the RHP. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Lowrie made a nice try on that tough in the hole play in the 7th inning, nothing to be ashamed about it because he would have had him if he had taken a little off the lob throw because it was a slower runner. As I write this, he took his eye off the easy little league DP ball, but that will happen to anyone who plays a lot of SS. That ends Lester's day, which is outstanding because he did not have his best stuff.  I think it's important for fans to deflate the Lowrie expectations and allow him to mature. He's really a 2nd baseman, but if he's platooned he will excel and avoid the unrelastic expectations that have overinflated from his part-time duty of a year ago and his early part-time duty start to the season. He fits really well platooning v. LHP at SS and backing up 3rd, 2B, 1B and as a valuable pinch hitter option off the bench.  Scutaro has the biggest hit of the year to beat the Yankees, and had a very good SS year vs. his peers, a year ago. Dropping Scutaro down to around 120 starts at SS and using Lowrie vs. most LHP is an excellent formula for this team. Lowrie would get about 60 starts at SS, 10 at 2B, 12 at 1B, and about 30 at 3B when Youk DH's against the tougher Lefty starters on Ortiz. That's about 112 starts, and he'll see a  lot of pinch hit and late inning playing time on top of that. It keeps expectations under control and puts Lowrie in the best position to help this team and succeed with his skill set.  The Red Sox had Lowrie's role correct, this spring, given the team in place.  The last thing that is needed is for fans to pressure management into starting Lowrie everyday and then expecting him to be an All-Star SS who hits at a high level vs. RHP. It's not in Lowrie's best interest or the best interest of the team.  Iglesias should be the starting SS for 2012, and fans need to leave him a lone if he hits .200. Lowrie deserves a chance to play everyday at 2B, where he has a chance to have a pretty good and longer MLB career. They could keep him where he'd be a solid contributor in the role he's in, but that's not fair to Lowrie. He's not a 3B or SS on an everday career basis, but 2B would allow him his best chance to excel. It's a good problem to have, but going forward to 2012, the Red Sox and Lowrie would probably both benefit with a trade. The Red Sox need a good catcher and a good young RH OF'er, and I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to give Lowrie a shot as an everyday 2nd bagger. 
    ===============================================
       ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
     Some things never change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP He had an .823 last year.  He has a 1.192 this year.  You're obsession has you blabbering almost incoherently. Last year, I thought Hall was a weak pickup.  He had an excellent year for a bench guy.  I didn't go around badmouthing him for no other reason than he proved me wrong. Serious, if you cannot deal with Lowrie's success, then you to stop watching the RS.  This is really unhealthy.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]I have to give you major props for quoting Bill Hall in your signature then.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

I didn't read this because of the poster but judging by the responses I am thinking Softhead oops I meant Softlaw

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

he got a hit and scored a run today. He shoudl be starting as long as he is producing. This is a no brainer.

[QUOTE]Lowrie should be starting at SS. In case you haven't noticed we need his bat and he's not any worse a fielder than Scutaro. His bat is clearly better than Scutaro's at this point in time.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

I never read Softlaw or BaseballGM anymore since everyone is aware of his pretending.  He is a clown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't think Hall proved anybody wrong. He hit for power. So did Lowrie.
    In fact, the HR/AB ratio was almost identical. But Lowrie hit .287. He had a .381 OBP. He slugged .527 and had a .907 OPB.

Hall, by comparison, hit .247, with a meek .316 OBP, .456 slugging and .772 OPS.
    People seem to forget Hall was making 9 mil last year.

Furthermore, Hall was detrimental on the field. His asset was his versatility due to poor roster construction. Lowrie replaces him with ease. Lowrie is a more valued asset. Hall's current sub-.200 BA exemplifies why the Mariners didn't want him playing FT. Hall is 31, and near washed-up.

Cue the clown's bigotry BS...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Wakefield and Lowell were the "poor roster construction". It won't be long, but dealing Lowrie when he had potemkin small sample stats will be looked back as a missed opportunity to sell high. He will have nothing to do with how far this team goes. Starting pitching will determine that.

Lowrie can't play the OF and is one of the worst SS defensive players in MLB. He showed that, today.

Lowrie had one hit, a pop-up wind blown "single" that he was loafing on. The other check swing bunt wasn't a real "hit" either. His swings from the left side were weak, which is his career history. The more he plays, the more his weaknesses will be exposed. Unless he hits RHP better, he should remain in the role he was put in for spring training. He came off a couple of exhibition baseball months last year with his best "year" in the stat book. Yet, he was put in the UIF role. He needs to remain in that role because that's where he fits the best.

Scutaro has the biggest clutch RBI hit of the season against the Yankees. He's also a 2nd baseman, but is a better defensive SS than Lowrie. Lowrie should be platooned against LHP and in the role that management decided was best for the team.

Cue the lunatic who thinks catchers have something to do with pitching. Salty had great stuff, today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Humor him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Lowrie doesn't have to play the outfield. And I'd hardly call him one of the worst defensive shortstops in the game.

You judge by individual games that favor UR position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

No, I judge by Lowrie's UZR150.

Long term, the Red Sox need a solid young RH corner OF'er. Lowrie aint it. Unlike Lowrie, Iglesias will be the first real SS the Red Sox have had since Gonzo was foolishly replaced by another 2nd bagger, Marco Scutaro.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]No, I judge by Lowrie's UZR150. Long term, the Red Sox need a solid young RH corner OF'er. Lowrie aint it. Unlike Lowrie, Iglesias will be the first real SS the Red Sox have had since Gonzo was foolishly replaced by another 2nd bagger, Marco Scutaro.

Iglesias will be a significant upgrade on defense.  Whether or not he can consitently hit big league pitching is an open question however.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Softy, you honestly believe this? 

"The last thing that is needed is for fans to pressure management into starting Lowrie everyday"

You think the fans get to decide who starts for the Sox? Seriously? 

So you think by posting this diatribe you will influence who starts for the Sox? 

Wow. #getagrip

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If I remember correctly a few years ago the scouting reports on Jed Lowrie talked about his ability to hit well from both sides of the plate.  I'm not sure what changed since then, but he has not had much opportunity until lately.  One thing is for sure though; when Iglesias is ready, Lowrie is trade bait

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Wakefield and Lowell were the "poor roster construction". It won't be long, but dealing Lowrie when he had potemkin small sample stats will be looked back as a missed opportunity to sell high. He will have nothing to do with how far this team goes. Starting pitching will determine that.

The above from baseballGM, especially, "he [Lowrie] will have nothing to do with how far this team goes.  Starting pitching will determine that." 

Our lawyer is now arguing with himself.  The premise in his own thread is that who plays SS is important and that Scutaro, whose OPS last year was almost 200 points below Lowrie and this year is over 500 points below Lowrie, is that guy.  Then he turns around and says that hitting is irrelevant--or, at least, any hits Lowrie might have--and that only pitching is important. 

I happen to agree that pitching this year could be the Sox achilles heel, but meanwhile the hitting is also well below expectations.  The team OPS is 9th best of 14 teams in the AL, which argues strongly for Francona to put every good bat he can into the lineup.  When the big hitters start to hit, then Scutaro can start again.  It's that simple. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

as a continuation of the "No Pop" thread from last year, guess who's ahead in "pop" so far?

(Slugging %)
    1) Jed      .654
    2) Dustin .500
    3) David   .478
    4) Darnell .455
    5) Adrian  .423
    6) Jacoby .413

OBP:
    1) Jed       .500
    2) Kevin   .423
    3) Dustin .393
    4) Adrian .377
    5) David   .375
    6) J. D.     .350

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]as a continuation of the "No Pop" thread from last year, guess who's ahead in "pop" so far? (Slugging %) 1) Jed      .654 2) Dustin .500 3) David   .478 4) Darnell .455 5) Adrian  .423 6) Jacoby .413 OBP: 1) Jed       .500 2) Kevin   .423 3) Dustin .393 4) Adrian .377 5) David   .375 6) J. D.     .350
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Be that as it may, Lowrie's SLG is largely a product of his astronomical AVG.

In terms of "pop" Lowrie has an ISO of .192 (SLG - AVG).

McDonald .273 (11 AB's)
    Ells .217
    Papi .217
    Lowrie .192 (26 AB's)
    Pedroia .185
    Youk .167
    AGon .154

Certainly very good so far this season, but not tops on the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]No, I judge by Lowrie's UZR150.

"- Beware of sample sizes!  Like with any defensive statistic, you should always use three years of UZR data before trying to draw any conclusions on the true talent level of a fielder."

Lowrie has 88 career starts at SS (104 games total at SS).  That's hardly the required 3 year sample size.

Sections
Shortcuts