Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

Also, Lowrie's career UZR/150 at SS is 12.7

I'm not sure where Softy's getting his info from.... unless he's actually trying to use a 44 play sample to judge Lowrie's defense with a metric that needs 3 years of data.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lowrie should start at SS.  I would love to see him start batting right handed against RHP????  What say you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember Lowrie hitting the game-winning RBI in game 4 of the 2008 ALCS against the Angels.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!:
    Lowrie should start at SS.  I would love to see him start batting right handed against RHP????  What say you?
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

I say that that's a bad idea since he hasn't done it at any level of the minors.  Throughout his actual career, he's hit RHP's as well if not better than LHP's.  Softy simply looks to ignore his minor league resume.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

So, really...we've agreed to call him J-Lo from here on out?  I just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Also, Lowrie's career UZR/150 at SS is 12.7 I'm not sure where Softy's getting his info from.... unless he's actually trying to use a 44 play sample to judge Lowrie's defense with a metric that needs 3 years of data.
    Posted by JB-3

He's making it up as he goes along...as per usual.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : He's making it up as he goes along...as per usual.
    Posted by redsoxfan791

Yep, but someone had to call him on it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hahaha.  Oh Softy:  

Lowrie's adequate but, yes, less-than-top-grade SS play = the trees.  

Lowrie and his tenacious bat putting the club on his back to lift it out of its miserable, frightening start = the forest.

The boy has gotta play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Nice Try Jed Lowrie!:
    I don't buy the Lowrie everyday slugging SS story (should platoon against LHP), primarily because of his limitations against RHP and his lack of range and foot quickness and slow throwing release. He's popped up for a wind blown single, and had a check swinging bunt single against the RHP. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Lowrie made a nice try on that tough in the hole play in the 7th inning, nothing to be ashamed about it because he would have had him if he had taken a little off the lob throw because it was a slower runner. As I write this, he took his eye off the easy little league DP ball, but that will happen to anyone who plays a lot of SS. That ends Lester's day, which is outstanding because he did not have his best stuff.  I think it's important for fans to deflate the Lowrie expectations and allow him to mature. He's really a 2nd baseman, but if he's platooned he will excel and avoid the unrelastic expectations that have overinflated from his part-time duty of a year ago and his early part-time duty start to the season. He fits really well platooning v. LHP at SS and backing up 3rd, 2B, 1B and as a valuable pinch hitter option off the bench.  Scutaro has the biggest hit of the year to beat the Yankees, and had a very good SS year vs. his peers, a year ago. Dropping Scutaro down to around 120 starts at SS and using Lowrie vs. most LHP is an excellent formula for this team. Lowrie would get about 60 starts at SS, 10 at 2B, 12 at 1B, and about 30 at 3B when Youk DH's against the tougher Lefty starters on Ortiz. That's about 112 starts, and he'll see a  lot of pinch hit and late inning playing time on top of that. It keeps expectations under control and puts Lowrie in the best position to help this team and succeed with his skill set.  The Red Sox had Lowrie's role correct, this spring, given the team in place.  The last thing that is needed is for fans to pressure management into starting Lowrie everyday and then expecting him to be an All-Star SS who hits at a high level vs. RHP. It's not in Lowrie's best interest or the best interest of the team.  Iglesias should be the starting SS for 2012, and fans need to leave him a lone if he hits .200. Lowrie deserves a chance to play everyday at 2B, where he has a chance to have a pretty good and longer MLB career. They could keep him where he'd be a solid contributor in the role he's in, but that's not fair to Lowrie. He's not a 3B or SS on an everday career basis, but 2B would allow him his best chance to excel. It's a good problem to have, but going forward to 2012, the Red Sox and Lowrie would probably both benefit with a trade. The Red Sox need a good catcher and a good young RH OF'er, and I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to give Lowrie a shot as an everyday 2nd bagger. 
    Posted by BaseballGM

Iglesias should not be our starting shortstop until he can prove he's ready. Let's say Salty works out behind the plate but his hitting is sub par, now you put Iglesias in next year into a position where his hitting ability is suspect as well, now you have two bats in the line up that are weak. Of course this is all speculation, but so is the constant fan ranting to put a young untried 20 year old Iglesias into the starting line-up when he hasn't had enough time to season in the minors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : UZR is a flawed stat and was exposed as just that a few years back, when they had to re-enter data that was eroniously entered in thier sysytem... The eye test says that Lowrie is an average at best defensive SS, the classic guy that "makes the routine plays"...He'll never be confused with Ozzie Smith or Rick Burleson. Scutaro is a slight upgrade and he too ain't either of the above, but a good steady guy with the glove... The difference is when healthy, Lowrie has shown that he can flat out hit, his upside with the bat is greater than Scutaro's and thus if he can deliver with the stick, there's not enough of an upgrade on the defensive side to make a case for why Scutaro deserves to play ahead of him...
    Posted by Beantowne

See my post prior to the one that you quoted to see that I'm not saying he's a defensive whiz, only that Softy doesn't have any numbers to support his claim that Jed is the worst defensive SS in MLB.  I completely agree that Jed should be starting at SS over Scutaro given their similar defense and Jed's superior bat (using career numbers, not just 2010/2011 numbers).  .780 OPS for Jed vs .719 OPS for Scutaro, while Jed is still developing to his potential and Scutaro is on the down slope of his career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Lowrie two hits again today

This thread should read 'nice try softy' to the coward 'baseballgm' who was proven wrong countless times on this topic and others as softflaw, the most hated man on this board, who returns where he is banned and not wanted to do what he does best, hurt, attack, start fights, demean, boast, annoy, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Right now Lowrie, along with Pedroia maybe, is the best bat on this team.  He will be playing everyday until he gives Tito a reason to sit him down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lowrie is now 3 for 3 with 4 RBIs. 

I'm sure Scott Boras wants Lowrie as his client.  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

4-4

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Can we just trade Lowrie for whatever we can get already? What a bum!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Message from Jed Lowrie to BaseballGiMp:

IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Softy:

Jed is on a one-man crusade to prove you wrong.  The kid is healthy and playing like many of us hoped.  If he is going to do damage, the lineup really lengthens out nicely.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Message from Jed Lowrie to BaseballGiMp: IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!
    Posted by devildavid

Nice call BaseballGM. Jed may have read that lengthy rant and proved him ridiculously wrong. I like the GiMp part. Funny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Can one of our stat-heads conjure up Lowrie's career offensive stats minus the time he was injured?  

Anyone catch Pete Abe's ridiculous twitter rant during the game today ... calls Lowrie-mania "idiotic."  I mean, I can agree that he isn't going to hit .500 for the year, but he went off on people judging him on "only 30" ABs.  Seems that PA forgot last year and Jed's rookie year.  I best stop before I get on a rant.  Would really love to see those stats, though ... seriously.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILL-805. Show BILL-805's posts

What's the GM stand for in Baseball GM ?...General Moron ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Can one of our stat-heads conjure up Lowrie's career offensive stats minus the time he was injured?   Anyone catch Pete Abe's ridiculous twitter rant during the game today ... calls Lowrie-mania "idiotic."  I mean, I can agree that he isn't going to hit .500 for the year, but he went off on people judging him on "only 30" ABs.  Seems that PA forgot last year and Jed's rookie year.  I best stop before I get on a rant.  Would really love to see those stats, though ... seriously.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

That's something of a gray area.  Allegedly he was injured before he was first called up, and wasn't healthy until ST of the 2010 season, at which point he got mono.  So if you're just looking at 2010 till now, he's been very impressive in a 65 game sample, which is still too small to draw any conclusions from.

He's has a .308/.391/.543 line since the start of the 2010 season doing some quick math.  (If anyone has a site that can group specific years of production, please let me know.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

J-Lo Last 65 games 205 AB:  OBP  .403 SLG   .615 OPS   .1018 Last 205 AB  ( pro-rated to 610 AB): HR      12          36 Runs   40          119 Dbls    16           48 Han Ram 2010         Jeter Career Avg AB      543 HR       21                    16 Dbls     28                    31 OPS   .853                   .835
    Posted by tom-uk

Where are you getting this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

JB-3 - Your comments from earlier:

Moon,

Be that as it may, Lowrie's SLG is largely a product of his astronomical AVG.

In terms of "pop" Lowrie has an ISO of .192 (SLG - AVG).

McDonald .273 (11 AB's)
    Ells .217
    Papi .217
    Lowrie .192 (26 AB's)
    Pedroia .185
    Youk .167
    AGon .154

Certainly very good so far this season, but not tops on the team.

Where is his "pop" number at now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : That's something of a gray area.  Allegedly he was injured before he was first called up, and wasn't healthy until ST of the 2010 season, at which point he got mono.  So if you're just looking at 2010 till now, he's been very impressive in a 65 game sample, which is still too small to draw any conclusions from. He's has a .308/.391/.543 line since the start of the 2010 season doing some quick math.  (If anyone has a sight that can group specific years of production, please let me know.)
    Posted by JB-3

Oh, that's new to me.  I thought he got the wrist injury about 2/3 of the way though his 2008 stint.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

JB-3 - Your comments from earlier: Moon, Be that as it may, Lowrie's SLG is largely a product of his astronomical AVG. In terms of "pop" Lowrie has an ISO of .192 (SLG - AVG). McDonald .273 (11 AB's) Ells .217 Papi .217 Lowrie .192 (26 AB's) Pedroia .185 Youk .167 AGon .154 Certainly very good so far this season, but not tops on the team. Where is his "pop" number at now?
    Posted by ADG

Are you really too lazy to do basic subtraction, or did you miss the entire point of my post?  SLG doesn't measure pop, unless you consider singles to be pop.  A far more accurate way to measure pop is extra base hits, which is what ISO essentially does by removing 1 base from the equations.  Also I believe Ells is still above Lowrie in ISO so far this year.

Lowrie's ISO is now at .258 (31 AB's).

Ells' numbers haven't updated on fangraphs or redsox.com, so you'll have to wait on those.

Sections
Shortcuts