Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!

Softy, is there some rule that says a starting SS can't play 3B some day?  Scutaro could essentially fill that same utility role that Jed was filling, by being able to cover SS and allowing Jed to slide over.  You're grasping at straws.

Have you not read the articles and reports showing that Jed was injured prior to even being called up in 2008?  Are you aware that wrist injuries generally sap a hitters power for the better part of 2 years?

Long term isn't it better to see what Lowrie can do full time this year, so decisions can be made regarding the SS position for the 2012 season, or does long term not apply to anything beyond 2011?

15 starts for Lowrie until you're argument about sample sizes is made even more irrelevant.  His 2010-2011 sample will be the same number of games as his injured 2008 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

At one point, Lowrie’s .533 batting average was posted on the scoreboard.

“I understand, but who cares? It’s April 18. We’ve got a long season,” he said. “You don’t think about it. You just continue to do what you’re doing and go out there and just let it happen.”

Kid has his head on straight and will be one heck of a ball player CHECK that IS a heck of a ball player!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie!:
    [QUOTE]At one point, Lowrie’s .533 batting average was posted on the scoreboard.
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

Every batters AVG is posted on the score board when they go up to bat.  Good to see he isn't getting a big head, but it's not like they don't show how well (or poorly) every batter does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Lowrie has never proven he's "an excpetional hitter". To do that, he must hit RHP exceptionally (elite level hitting) for a full season sample size. He will not do that, nor is it in the best interest of this team to try and see if he can do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : Every batters AVG is posted on the score board when they go up to bat.  Good to see he isn't getting a big head, but it's not like they don't show how well (or poorly) every batter does.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Thats my point ....Its not like Carl looks up and sees .500+ BA  My point is he isnt getting a big head he is staying grounded and humble!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie has never proven he's "an excpetional hitter". To do that, he must hit RHP exceptionally (elite level hitting) for a full season sample size. He will not do that, nor is it in the best interest of this team to try and see if he can do it.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]
    How do you know what is in the best interest of this team???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Right now, as long as he's on this torrid streak, the Red Sox will adjust so they can get Jed into the lineup any which way they can.   Looking at all of his performances outside of when his hitting was affected by the wrist injury, he's  proven that he is a major league hitter that would be part of any lineup.  The only remaining questions are how he will adjust when pitchers adjust to him, and whether he can maintain his health over the course of a season. 

Let's be thankful that Theo is the GM, and not this other mischuganah laywer who calls himself BaseballGM. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : Thats my point ....Its not like Carl looks up and sees .500+ BA  My point is he isnt getting a big head he is staying grounded and humble!!!!!!!
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

By the way, mazeltov rsinsider on your new baby. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie has never proven he's "an excpetional hitter". To do that, he must hit RHP exceptionally (elite level hitting) for a full season sample size. He will not do that, nor is it in the best interest of this team to try and see if he can do it.

2 things I took away from this post.

1) Softy has a crystal ball.
    2) It's better to make decisions going forward without knowing how alternatives will perform (think Scutaro club option).

The Sox need to know what they have, so they can make an informed decision on Scutaro's club option.  They also need to know what alternatives there are to Iglesias, should he struggle this year (he hasn't yet, but what if he does?).

Softy is actually trying to argue that someone who has been a better hitter post injury (against lefties AND righties) shouldn't have a chance to prove himself.  Ignorance is bliss for Softy because Softy would rather have his ego intact than see the Sox succeed.

If Lowrie struggled in a full time role, there's no reason Scutaro couldn't be moved back into a starting role, but Softy will have none of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

You're grasping at straws.

I don't think so. I think you are post hoc rationalizing at one snap shot date in time, ignoring the big picture.
    Have you not read the articles and reports showing that Jed was injured prior to even being called up in 2008?  Are you aware that wrist injuries generally sap a hitters power for the better part of 2 years? 

I've seen articles that came out recently that are post hoc articles. I've seen old articles that say he didn't know when he aggravated it. Pure speculation on timing and extent of injury, which can be done to cut it out career stats in any player history.
    Long term isn't it better to see what Lowrie can do full time this year, so decisions can be made regarding the SS position for the 2012 season, or does long term not apply to anything beyond 2011?

No, because decisions should already be made on the planning for 2012. Either they are going to go with a true defensive SS, which they can do for 2012, or they aren't. Most Red Sox fans are ignorant, so going with a defensive SS over Lowrie will set them off. Management should finally get a long term young defensive SS in place for 2012, and not having Lowrie start another 20 or 30 games should have no bearing whatsoever on that decision. A full season of AAA and a few MLB games during roster expansion should have Iglesias ready to go. A cheap veteran solid fielding weaker hitting lefty SS to go with Iglesias should be the plan. 

Lowrie is blocked at 2B, which is what he is defensively, and Youk's splits against RHP are too good to move Lowrie to 3rd. Theo has made a bunch of mistakes on SS, he'd better not vacillate now. 
    15 starts for Lowrie until you're argument about sample sizes is made even more irrelevant.  His 2010-2011 sample will be the same number of games as his injured 2008 season.

I'm going to put it to you straight. Lowrie is not going to be a strong enough hitter v. RHP to warrant making him an everyday career SS that makes up for his weak SS fielding with his hitting. We will agree to disagree on that, and if you think starting him at SS against RH and LH starting pitching is going to prove something that isn't known then you are a slow study. 

His numbers are not in an everday SS role in 2010 or this year. The role works, why on earth change it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Calling me "softy" is about as bad as calling Katz "slav".

If you don't know what Lowrie can do as an everyday SS by now, and what the 2011 team needs and future SS needs are, you must be Theo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE] You're grasping at straws. I don't think so. I think you are post hoc rationalizing at one snap shot date in time, ignoring the big picture. Have you not read the articles and reports showing that Jed was injured prior to even being called up in 2008?  Are you aware that wrist injuries generally sap a hitters power for the better part of 2 years?  I've seen articles that came out recently that are post hoc articles. I've seen old articles that say he didn't know when he aggravated it. Pure speculation on timing and extent of injury, which can be done to cut it out career stats in any player history. Long term isn't it better to see what Lowrie can do full time this year, so decisions can be made regarding the SS position for the 2012 season, or does long term not apply to anything beyond 2011? No, because decisions should already be made on the planning for 2012. Either they are going to go with a true defensive SS, which they can do for 2012, or they aren't. Most Red Sox fans are ignorant, so going with a defensive SS over Lowrie will set them off. Management should finally get a long term young defensive SS in place for 2012, and not having Lowrie start another 20 or 30 games should have no bearing whatsoever on that decision. A full season of AAA and a few MLB games during roster expansion should have Iglesias ready to go. A cheap veteran solid fielding weaker hitting lefty SS to go with Iglesias should be the plan.  Lowrie is blocked at 2B, which is what he is defensively, and Youk's splits against RHP are too good to move Lowrie to 3rd. Theo has made a bunch of mistakes on SS, he'd better not vacillate now.  15 starts for Lowrie until you're argument about sample sizes is made even more irrelevant.  His 2010-2011 sample will be the same number of games as his injured 2008 season. I'm going to put it to you straight. Lowrie is not going to be a strong enough hitter v. RHP to warrant making him an everyday career SS that makes up for his weak SS fielding with his hitting. We will agree to disagree on that, and if you think starting him at SS against RH and LH starting pitching is going to prove something that isn't known then you are a slow study.  His numbers are not in an everday SS role in 2010 or this year. The role works, why on earth change it!

Dunno, maybe because he is carrying the club offensively?  That would be my reasoning.  We can always find a place for him on the bench when we do not desparately need him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]Calling me "softy" is about as bad as calling Katz "slav". If you don't know what Lowrie can do as an everyday SS by now, and what the 2011 team needs and future SS needs are, you must be Theo.

Denying you're "Softy" is about as bad as suggesting that Lowrie be traded prior to this season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Kevin Youkilis doesn't think Jed Lowrie will hit.500 all season

This is a great quote from Youk [ProJo Sox Blog]

Kevin Youkilis doesn't think Jed Lowrie will hit .500 all season

"There is no chance that Jed will hit .500 all year," he said. "I would love to see it. But if we're going to go to the law of averages, there's a good chance that he might not hit .400, either. I would love for him to do it, but there's a good chance that he's not."

There you have it ... there's a good chance the Jedi won't even bat .400 this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

anybody who thinks scutaro should be starting over Lowrie should be hog tied an beaten with a stick

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

He's not "carrying the club offensively". He's contributing, and most successful v. LH starting pitching. That's been his role since 2010, and it's worked. The days off, the matchups, etc. To suddenly scream that he has to be the everday SS, instead of the role that works where he platoon against LHP at SS and plays the other spots as a backup and gets more starts v. LH starting pitching, he'll get well over 100 starts which keeps him healthy and puts him the best role to succeed and help this team. It keeps scutaro healthy and productive and contributuing like his last 3 full seasons show he can do against RHP.

It's really kind of pitiful, to see a couple of weeks, coming off a late 2010 partial season with regular days off, and a maddening cry to make Lowrie an everyday starter. Give it another month, and let's see where short memory hindsight memories are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

apparently having Lowrie in the lineup works so why change that.  I still think (if he keeps playing the way he does) he deserves a chance, and at the very least a larger role.

I also still believe that Lowrie's defense is underestimated by some on here.  He gets a bad rap from his projections as a prospect, but the vast majority of scouts had written about how impressed they were with Lowrie's defensive improvements throughout the Sox system.  His range is average, his arm is actually pretty strong but it had been his throwing accuracy that had hurt him in the past.   I'm not saying Lowrie has good defense but saying his range is below average and his arm is weak is unfair assessment.  I say if he keeps hitting the way he is, at least give him a chance to play.  Also as likeable as Scutaro is, he isn't exactly a gold glove caliber short stop himself, maybe he's marginally better than Lowrie at  best, and that shouldn't be the difference maker with Lowrie hitting the way he is. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]He's not "carrying the club offensively". He's contributing, and most successful v. LH starting pitching. That's been his role since 2010, and it's worked. The days off, the matchups, etc. To suddenly scream that he has to be the everday SS, instead of the role that works where he platoon against LHP at SS and plays the other spots as a backup and gets more starts v. LH starting pitching, he'll get well over 100 starts which keeps him healthy and puts him the best role to succeed and help this team. It keeps scutaro healthy and productive and contributuing like his last 3 full seasons show he can do against RHP. It's really kind of pitiful, to see a couple of weeks, coming off a late 2010 partial season with regular days off, and a maddening cry to make Lowrie an everyday starter. Give it another month, and let's see where short memory hindsight memories are.

I am not part of the 'maddening cry' to make Jed the everyday shortstop.  I am getting more sold on his bat by the day, but I also recognize that we have to see what happens when this amazing, torrid streak tapers off.  I agree with you certainly that Scutaro is a better everyday shortstop.  Nevertheless, you gotta pencil this guy in right now.  And yes, he is only contributing.  But in the depths of despair, when no one save Pedey was offering anything, Jed did in fact carry the club offensively.  And before your inevitable chop up 'carry', I am defining it here as 'carrying the load' when no one else is stepping up to get key hits.  He was indeed doing that going into this weekend, before everyone decided to wake up and tee off on the Blue Jays.  And if you can't accept that, then fine, hows about he has 'sparked' the club.  Either way, gotta keep J-Lo in the line-up right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

LOL @ Softy ... I mean, uh, BaseballGM.  Yes, if Lowrie can't get his RHP splits up he'll never be a starting player (where's that sarcasm font?).  Sure. Right.  So if he hits .250 against RHP and .350 against LHP for a overall line of .280+ / .375+ / .450+ he can't find a starting job?  Delusional.  Are you really down to this argument using his splits? Really?

Granted, .250 is above his career split (by a small amount).  But his "career" stats include a decent amount of injured play.  And, yes, there is a lot this teams needs to know about how he will play as a starter.  They didn't draft him and bring him to the majors to be a utility inf.  They brought him on to be an average defender with plus offense for the position.  Basically, to have the same sort of numbers as Pedroia with, perhaps, slightly higher HRs.  They always thought he would be that type of player ... check the scouting reports.

It will be interesting to see what the team does if Lowrie fulfills his potential this year and Iglesias rakes in AAA but I am sure Theo would appreciate having that dilemma.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Right on Hugh!

I read from many (P. Abraham) that Scutaro is better on D.  I don't see it.  After his shoulder problem I would say both have below average arms. Lowrie made a nice snap throw today up the middle and he had a nice throw yesterday charging a ball.

Scutaro failed to turn a double play last week b/c he was flat footed and his throw was very slow. Neither can range far to their right and get enough on the ball as when they jump and drift towards third. Even Escobar failed to get J-Lo on one of his infield hits Sunday on that kind of throw.

I would say he used to be better not anymore. Scutaro 554total chances at SS 20errors, Lowrie total chances at SS 319 with 4errors, so I would say he is less sure handed.  I will concede Scutaro may get to more balls, but is his range that much better.  I don't think he makes any more outs going to his right b/c even if his range is better that way his arm is sadly no longer there.

JB3 "I don't think Tom meant to imply that Jed would hit 30+ HR's, obviously the standard small sample size warning applies to the 205 AB set."

I'd stick with my preseason #'s, maybe a few more hrs say 20ish if he gets the AB.

11/9/2010 3:53 PM EST
    Bill James's Lowrie 2011 projection: .270/.361/.467/.828    In 2010 .828 = 8th best OPS  at 3rd  and 3rd best at SS. wOBA .363  17hr 75 rbi Bill . In Oct I predicted .366/.464/.830.

J-Lo

Last 205 AB: 

OBP  .403
    SLG   .575
    OPS   .978
    Last 205 AB  ( pro-rated to 610 AB):

HR      12          36
    Runs   40          119
    Dbls    16           48

Han Ram 2010         Jeter Career Averages

AB      543
    HR       21                    16
    Dbls     28                    31
    OPS   .853                   .835

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

You're grasping at straws. I don't think so. I think you are post hoc rationalizing at one snap shot date in time, ignoring the big picture. Have you not read the articles and reports showing that Jed was injured prior to even being called up in 2008?  Are you aware that wrist injuries generally sap a hitters power for the better part of 2 years?  I've seen articles that came out recently that are post hoc articles. I've seen old articles that say he didn't know when he aggravated it. Pure speculation on timing and extent of injury, which can be done to cut it out career stats in any player history. Long term isn't it better to see what Lowrie can do full time this year, so decisions can be made regarding the SS position for the 2012 season, or does long term not apply to anything beyond 2011? No, because decisions should already be made on the planning for 2012. Either they are going to go with a true defensive SS, which they can do for 2012, or they aren't. Most Red Sox fans are ignorant, so going with a defensive SS over Lowrie will set them off. Management should finally get a long term young defensive SS in place for 2012, and not having Lowrie start another 20 or 30 games should have no bearing whatsoever on that decision. A full season of AAA and a few MLB games during roster expansion should have Iglesias ready to go. A cheap veteran solid fielding weaker hitting lefty SS to go with Iglesias should be the plan.  Lowrie is blocked at 2B, which is what he is defensively, and Youk's splits against RHP are too good to move Lowrie to 3rd. Theo has made a bunch of mistakes on SS, he'd better not vacillate now.  15 starts for Lowrie until you're argument about sample sizes is made even more irrelevant.  His 2010-2011 sample will be the same number of games as his injured 2008 season. I'm going to put it to you straight. Lowrie is not going to be a strong enough hitter v. RHP to warrant making him an everyday career SS that makes up for his weak SS fielding with his hitting. We will agree to disagree on that, and if you think starting him at SS against RH and LH starting pitching is going to prove something that isn't known then you are a slow study.  His numbers are not in an everday SS role in 2010 or this year. The role works, why on earth change it!
    Posted by BaseballGM

My favorite part was when you regressed back to your softy formatting Smile.

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of Iglesias and assuming he shows he can get on base at an acceptable level (.310 OBP) I am all for him being the starting SS in 2012.  You seem to be missing the bigger picture here though.  Lowrie is under team control through 2014, either he's a part of the teams plans (potentially 3B or DH, with Youk sliding to DH) or he isn't (trade).  If he's a part fo the plans going forward, you need to see him play every day, if he isn't a part of the plans going forward, you need him to play everyday to boost his trade value.  It's fine if you want a defense first SS, but that isn't on the 25 man roster right now, so you go with the bigger bat with similar defense in Lowrie.

Career numbers:

Lowrie (excluding agreed upon injured 2009, as well as today's stats):
    vs RHP .242/.327/.392 - .719
    vs LHP .348/.415/.585 - 1.000

Scutaro
    vs RHP .270/.333/.380 - .713
    vs LHP .256/.343/.394 - .736

We know that Lowrie's wrist injury was affecting him during his 8-51 slump in 2008, however I have included those AB's in Lowrie's career totals.  Today's stats were excluded because fangraphs hasn't updated yet and I already had the site open.

Clearly Lowrie is the better option vs LHP's (a point which we have agreed upon)  and the fact that Lowrie has a higher career OPS despite his injured 2008 being included in the data combined with his equal glove to Scutaro and his higher upside is reason enough to have him starting everyday in Boston.  Add in that he has a role in Boston's future (be that through trade or contributing to the club directly) and this is an easy call.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

For the record, I should state my actual position on Lowrie and the starting SS spot (putting aside my baiting of Softy/GM).  
    1 - Lowrie is on a verified hot streak right now and I don't expect him to continue at this pace all season ... not even close.
    2 - I don't advocate any of the following at this point: trading Scutaro, leaking info that Sox are considering trading him, making a public declaration re: starting role or anything else that would alienate a man who has been a solid team player (heroic even, in what he did last year)
    3 - Lowrie should get more playing time right now given that he is on a hot streak
    4 - Lowrie should get more playing time until he gives management a reason to bench him because he has finally overcome his one nagging injury
    5 - Lowrie should get more playing time until he gives management a reason to bench him because he is now playing like the player they projected him to be when they first brought him to the majors in 2008 (i.e., his play July 2010 to date).
    6 - If Lowrie continues to be "that player" for much longer, he will be the de facto starter for the rest of 2011
    7 - Assuming #6, the 2012 starting job is probably his to lose.  

I for one don't envision JI playing so well in AAA this year that the Sox anoint him 2012 starter.  It is POSSIBLE the team gets a worthwhile trade offer for Jedi that makes them decide to excercise the team option on Scutaro and platoon him with JI ... if he rakes at AAA this year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In Response to Re: Nice Try Jed Lowrie! : By the way, mazeltov rsinsider on your new baby. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas

Thanks Los .....Going to either game this week????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Here is why Lowrie is still in the RS plans now and for the forseable future.In the minors he was as good as players like Pedroia and H Ramirez.
    The RS were moving HR to the OF because of Lowrie.
    When Lowrie actually played FT for one month in 2008 he was the best hitter on the team.
    The next year he reinjured the wrist.
    Last year he had mono.

The issue is when  he played FT he has produced at every level and equal to two other AS that have come through the RS Pedroia and Ramirez.
    The kid has the ability to be a FT major leaguer.

Yes he may not be the starting SS next year but he will be here. He can play all three INF positions and probaly could play first in a pinch.

Terry said Scutaro was the starting SS because he had to after what Scutaro did last year.
    Lowrie if this continues may just push Marco to the bench for much longer than we think.

BTW isn't it a good thing to have so many options??????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy wants Jed and Jake sent to a NL team, so if they do well, he can discount their value due to a "lesser league". He considers the NL like the minors. It's a way for him to hedge his bets.

His worst fear is that these two have good to great AL careers.