Nick Cafardo:It's time to blow up Red Sox roster

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Nick Cafardo:It's time to blow up Red Sox roster

So Carfardo's idea is to "blow it up" but he doesn't make 1 actual suggestion and only offers topical player analysis that any casual fan could tell you.

It is super easy to say "blow up the roster", now doing it......

The Red Sox stayed the course with the current roster b/c the current roster is loaded with underproducing, overpaid guys. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Peter Abraham is the only BDC writer I can take seriously.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree that the roster needs to be re-worked. July 31st will be a very interesting day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This article, like many of the posts on this board about the subject is not particularly useful.  It is easy to say "blow up the roster" without giving any specifics on how to do it.  With the huge amount of money the Sox have invested with a lot of underperforming guys there isn't that much flexibility.  The Sox could easily "blow up the roster" by cutting every single underperforming player and replacing them with street scrubs and minor leaguers.  That team would suck and we'd be stuck with it while still paying huge money to all the guys we just cut because contracts are guaranteed.  I bet the "blow up the roster" folks wouldn't be happy with that.  Saying "it's time to blow up the roster" and leaving it at that functions on the assumption that if you make that decision you can just do it.   Unfortunately the Red Sox do not have that luxury.  They need other teams to cooperate and it doesn't look like that is happening so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I love it when people say blow up the team but don't provide specifics. When pressed, the best they can say is trade Beckett. OK, fine, trade him.

But take a look at Cafardo's analysis. He seems to indicate that A-Gon, Pedroia, Ortiz and Salty are OK to have. He wants to keep Lester and Buchholz.

The team has new RFers from last year, Middlebrooks has already taken over at third base for Youk. So what else?

SS? Fine -- trade Aviles and bring up Iggy but is that really improving the team? The bullpen has been overhauled to some extent from last year and the bottom of the rotation is different. So team has been better.

So blow up the roster -- how? Just once, I'd like to see some specifics that would actually improve the team.

I don't get the handwringing Carfardo has over not re-signing Bay, Beltre and Martinez. Bay has scked and been hurt since leaving. Beltre has been good but he would have blocked Middlebrooks, and Martinez is hurt and wouldn't have been an upgrade over Ortiz or A-Gon last year and isn't an every day catcher anymore so why would you sign him for what Detroit did. Isn't that the problem with Crawford -- signing a guy that has no role for big money.

Just imagine had the Sox did what some wanted -- dump Ortiz and keep Martinez as the DH. Don't seem Martinez in any lineups this year. The Sox could have added another $15M -- or whatever the Tigers are paying him -- to the DL.

Cafardo is right. The roster is the problem, but not like he thinks. It's the roster in that the roster never has gotten the chance to play together this year. Yes, Beckett and Lester are underperforming so if everyone was healthy this year, while the Sox would have a better record, I'm not sure by how much.

Lester shoudn't go anywhere. So it's back to Beckett. All the Sox woes, I guess, are traced to one player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Nick Cafardo:It's time to blow up Red Sox roster:
    I agree that the roster needs to be re-worked. July 31st will be a very interesting day.
    Posted by stan17

Don't hold your breath.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

the biggest problem is that there are no bona fide #1 or #2 starters available on the market right now

best thing to do for now is to clear as much payroll as possible and bring up the kids so they can get their feet wet and to see what you have to work w/ in 2013....that would be a great start...then in the winter you can go from there........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re-posted from another thread: My specifics

And very good suggestions.
    It's time to blow up this team and start fresh. Send the veterans packing and bring up Gomez, Iglesias, Lavarnway.
    Dump the contracts of Beckett and Crawford and trade Pedroia for an elite SP.
    Trade Ellsbury for a RH power hitting RF (Cargo?).

This is who we should keep:
    Lester          Agon
    Buchholz       Middlebrooks
    Cook            Shoppach
    Morales        Ciriaco
    Doubront      Papi
    Padilla          Aviles
    Aceves        Ross
    Tazawa

Everyone else needs to go away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re-posted from another thread: My specifics And very good suggestions. It's time to blow up this team and start fresh. Send the veterans packing and bring up Gomez, Iglesias, Lavarnway. Dump the contracts of Beckett and Crawford and trade Pedroia for an elite SP. Trade Ellsbury for a RH power hitting RF (Cargo?). This is who we should keep: Lester          Agon Buchholz       Middlebrooks Cook            Shoppach Morales        Ciriaco Doubront      Papi Padilla          Aviles Aceves        Ross Tazawa Everyone else needs to go away.
    Posted by harv53

keep Shop over Salty?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox are 77 and 85 over the past 162 games now....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Peter Abraham is the only BDC writer I can take seriously.
    Posted by Bisson1

Although this article wasn't his best I still don't mind Cafardo, Finn or Bedard. The rest blow especially the writers in the B's section.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

God, do some people watch other teams than the Red Sox??????
    Cargo is LEFT HANDED!
    Who said Martinez and Bay would have been injured here, if they stayed?
    I'd rather have a healthy VMart, making a lot less for a shorter term, than Gonzalez and his giant contract that he's getting to hit singles for.
    How is it that the Blue Jays got rid of their idiotic contracts from Wells and Rios, and the Sox can't dump Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez?
    Didn't they have an out with Lackey by his pre existing shoulder problem? Why didn't they excersize that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re-posted from another thread: My specifics And very good suggestions. It's time to blow up this team and start fresh. Send the veterans packing and bring up Gomez, Iglesias, Lavarnway. Dump the contracts of Beckett and Crawford and trade Pedroia for an elite SP. Trade Ellsbury for a RH power hitting RF (Cargo?). This is who we should keep: Lester          Agon Buchholz       Middlebrooks Cook            Shoppach Morales        Ciriaco Doubront      Papi Padilla          Aviles Aceves        Ross Tazawa Everyone else needs to go away.
    Posted by harv53

Bring up Gomez??? exactly who is going to take Crawford and his 5 1/2 year contract?? be realistic

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Blow up Cafardo first. 

I agree the roster is a problem right now, but disagree a fire sale will fix anything.  And these are absolutely not the Cubs. 

The lineup is one of the three best run scoring machines in MLB.  If you dump everyone but Pedroia, who will bring in the runs?  I know.  Bring up all those superstars wasting away in Pawtucket, Portland, and points south.  Bring in the clowns. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

God, do some people watch other teams than the Red Sox?????? Cargo is LEFT HANDED! Who said Martinez and Bay would have been injured here, if they stayed? I'd rather have a healthy VMart, making a lot less for a shorter term, than Gonzalez and his giant contract that he's getting to hit singles for. How is it that the Blue Jays got rid of their idiotic contracts from Wells and Rios, and the Sox can't dump Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez? Didn't they have an out with Lackey by his pre existing shoulder problem? Why didn't they excersize that.
    Posted by rightymclefty

no they dont have an "out" with Lackey, what they have is an extra year at the MLB minimum if they excercise it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

How is it that the Blue Jays got rid of their idiotic contracts from Wells and Rios, and the Sox can't dump Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez?
    Posted by rightymclefty

The Jays traded Wells after he was coming off a 31 HR campaign.  He was still performing decently, but was just overpaid making it a lot easier to trade.

Rios was having a down season, but still put up some a few decent stats.  In addition he was put on waivers meaning Toronto literally got nothing for him which is also ignoring the risk of having him clear waivers (I will assume that Toronto knew he would be claimed before putting him there).  The key point here is that transactions like that are rare and there aren't many teams that both have a need and would be willing to shell out that kind of money to get a guy off waivers.

The Blue Jays GM deserves a ton of credit for getting both of those guys off the books, but it wasn't that easy (and requires another big market team to cooperate) and at least with Wells he had the advantage of trying to trade a guy that was coming off a fairly good season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

So Carfardo's idea is to "blow it up" but he doesn't make 1 actual suggestion and only offers topical player analysis that any casual fan could tell you. It is super easy to say "blow up the roster", now doing it...... The Red Sox stayed the course with the current roster b/c the current roster is loaded with underproducing, overpaid guys. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

My.  Thoughts.  Exactly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The problems with the Red Sox roster are the same as they were last October.

1. How do you improve in the short term with so many overpaid and underperforming players, particularly in the starting rotation.

The Red Sox aren't ever going to "rebuild" so how do they improve on the fly by dealing Beckett or Lester or even Lackey down the road?  With the possible exception of Lester, they will have to eat salary, which makes replacing that role more difficult. 

If the Red Sox could rid themselves of Beckett's salary I think they would trade him. 

2. Making long term decisions in the OF, at SS and at C.

They are operating in a state of limbo in the OF.  Ells post 2013?  RF?  With Crawford there is almost a state of denial that they are stuck with him through 2017.

The IF is set, except for SS where they haven't been set for 8 years.  There seems to be a lack of commitment with Salty but at least with the Youk trade, whether you agree or not, they made a decision and can move forward.  SS and C have not had a long term solution for a long time, that is an organizational failure.

So as best as I can figure, "blowing up the roster" comes down to deciding what to do with Beckett and Lester and if the Red Sox are better off paying them to pitch somewhere else and replacing them in the rotation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

God, do some people watch other teams than the Red Sox?????? Cargo is LEFT HANDED! Who said Martinez and Bay would have been injured here, if they stayed? I'd rather have a healthy VMart, making a lot less for a shorter term, than Gonzalez and his giant contract that he's getting to hit singles for. How is it that the Blue Jays got rid of their idiotic contracts from Wells and Rios, and the Sox can't dump Crawford, Dice K, Beckett, Lackey and Gonzalez? Didn't they have an out with Lackey by his pre existing shoulder problem? Why didn't they excersize that.
    Posted by rightymclefty

Sorry, I meant to say Carlos Quentin. Don't know where I got Cargo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by rightymclefty

Never said Bay would have been hurt. He has stunk with the Mets, even on the road, so it's not a stretch to think he would have struggled had he stayed.

Beyond that, Martinez's injury had nothing to do with a play. He tore his ACL while training. Probably would have happened no matter where he was playing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

Not sure why we don't shake up the rotation, and see where it goes from there.

I think we should start with this :

In order 1-5

1) Morales
    2) Cook
    3) Doubront
    4) Buchholz
    5) Tazawa or Lester or Beckett or Matsuzaka
    (pick 1, and send the rest to the pen as long relief)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To ASK for specifics is dumb. How can any one of us, or some writer offer specifics?

Often the trades that DO happen are fairly surprising. Was ANYONE talking about Ichiro to NY before it happened?

At least Cafardo has taken the stand that this roster is not ok. It needs drastic changes. While many around here defend Beckett, and want to give Ortiz 2 years, and wait for Lester to figure it out, and talk about Gonzalez and Crawford returning, at some point, to what they did before Boston, and generally just keep things the same as they have been for (what will be) 3 straight playoff-less years, at least he acknowledges the need for big change.

Keeping the Roster as is, and only swapping a Sweeney for a Ross, or a Scutaro for an Aviles changes NOTHING that is wrong with this team.

If you like 86-90 wins while toting the second highest payroll in baseball, fine, keep cheering the direction of this team.

Pitiful.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He must of read my resently bumped thread.

Thanks for the re-bump Pike.  Your a good girl.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Posted by rightymclefty

Dude, really?  The dude says that you we should trade Ells for a RH hitting power hitter like Cargon, and you jump on him for calling Cargon right-handed?

How about the fact that Cargon is 26, has a  batting averages of .325, with 20 HR's alreadyand good speed (15 steals in 16 attempts).

Cargon would be the best player in the AL East.

Ellsbury + every single player on our farm + $10,000,000 + Fenway Park + Portland Seadogs organization + rights to NESN wouldnt get it done for Cargon.

To me, suggesting that Ellsbury would get you Cargon is way more ludicrous than saying Cargon is right-handed.

Harv, I understand it was a typo, not trying to pick on you.

Sections
Shortcuts